“Pleasant place with spectacular views!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

Save Saved
You added The Palms at Pelican Cove to your Saves list
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Austin, Texas
“Pleasant place with spectacular views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I booked the Palms at Pelican Cove last minute because of the horrible reviews of my original hotel. I am so glad I did.

My first impression of the hotel was great because the staff is so nice. The airline had just lost our luggage and we were super stressed when we arrived. The told us to relax and to grab a drink. Then we were escorted to our room by Mitch, a super nice member of the staff. Mitch sat down with me and gave me an overview of the island and drew a map that told me how to get to the store and to the city, then gave me his card in case I got lost. Very nice guy.

The room was nice. It is a little dated in my mind, but the bathroom is nice with 2 sinks and a large shower. And it was very clean. We were in room 10, which is right across from the housekeeping closet. That combined with the thin walls and the very active couple upstairs made for some early mornings (at least in vacation time). The promised wifi was spotty at best and did not work most of the time.

The balcony and view deserve it's own callout. Amazing. Breathtaking. Relaxing. I could go on and on, but I will just post a picture instead.

I attempted to go snorkelling with my own gear, but honestly the rip current scared me and kept me close to the shore. I did see a few fish and a couple of squid, but nothing more than that. I did hear the reef is awesome, but again, I was afraid of the current. The hotel takes you out snorkelling if you reserve a spot with them, but I wasn't structured enough to commit to a time between napping and sipping on beverages.

We arrived on a Monday which was great because it was Caribbean night. It was a lot of fun. They had a buffet, fire dancers, etc... definitely not to be missed. It gets crowded so I recommend making a reservation.

The bar is nice, the drinks are good, but I am surprised at how many I drank with little effect. The food from the restaurant is okay. We had lunch the next day and it took an hour to get a sandwich and burger. There was a large group that kept the servers and kitchen busy, so I don't know if that is usual. We did have a great view of the ocean from the restaurant which was nice.

Overall - the staff was wonderful. The view from the room is amazing. The bar is an enjoyable place to hang out in. Great location close to Christiansted. The only reason I am giving this place 4 stars was the noise in the morning. I enjoy sleeping in during my vacation. We would definitely go back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

854 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I - and all our wedding guests - had an unforgettably dreamy time at The Palms for our July 2013 wedding. He and I are from St. Croix, though we live in the U.S. now, and this hotel came highly recommended by local family and friends. It did not disappoint. We heard repeatedly from our guests: "Best Wedding Ever!" And I have to give a lot of the credit to The Palms. One guest, who has since gotten engaged, is now planning to honeymoon at The Palms because she loved it so much.

THE WEDDING

We basically got a wedding planner as part of the deal! Julie, the hotel manager, is an organized, caring and knowledgeable event host. She, the head chef and the staff took such special care of us, giving us great advice that not only made the day wonderful but saved us money!

I was driven from my room to our beach ceremony in the coconut grove on the hotel's golf cart. The grove was tastefully decorated with palm fronds and local flora, the reception in the open air restaurant space was at once elegant and cozy. My hubby and I spent the morning picking local flowers for the table settings and all I had to do that morning was set one up the way I wanted it and the staff arranged all the rest.

We brought a suitcase full of small decor (tealight candles and glass holders, etc.) with us because things are much cheaper in the states. (We and left everything with The Palms, hoping they get to use it again in another celebration.)

The Palms made sure we got the right sounds system for the band and DJ, and had their electrician coordinate with musicians to handle their needs. Everyone was so warm and eager to help, offering advice and going the extra mile to make things perfect.

THE FOOD

The hotel catered the wedding with a buffet of outstanding local dishes (delicious seafood callaloo was my favorite) as well as special requests (a tasty veggie pasta for my vegetarian friends). Our guests mostly ate at the hotel restaurant and liked the food (with the occasional outing to the not-to-be-missed takeout joint "Singh's" in Christiansted and the vegetarian Ital restaurant in Fredericksted). This is the kind of hotel you could never leave.

THE STAY

Our room, with a balcony overlooking the sea, was clean, bright and romantic...AND we got it for free because of a special deal: If your guests book a certain amount of nights, you get a free stay! Our guests gathered at the open-air bar each evening, met up for morning brunch, took free snorkeling lessons and even went on a little beach walk one evening to the nearby hotel for rollicking evening of karaoke.

My husband and I, who were gifted a room that was a little more out of the way so we could have private time, took walks early each morning, and felt we had the whole beach to ourselves. The decor was tasteful and delightfully Caribbean, the bathroom shower was large and lovely and there were his and hers sinks (thank you!), the cleaning staff was warm and thorough (it's not easy cleaning up after sandy people each day), and there was a coin laundry, which was helpful when it came time to re-pack for the honeymoon.

One of my favorite things is there was morning yoga on the beach on the day of our wedding. It was great to be able to focus and meditate right there where the wedding would happen hours later. The teacher was great, and there are classes a few times a week which is a nice touch.

Next time I go home to St. Croix, I might not stay with family...I might stay with my new family at The Palms!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Palms had very nice staff, all the people on the island were extremely friendly and pleasant, very polite people. The food was wonderful and in line with prices on the rest of the island. The rooms were nice, well maintained and had a small refrigerator in the room, which was great. They gave you coke & rum in your room on your arrival. The owner was on grounds, and very personable. Pool is nice and well maintained. The beach is nice, but there are heavy rip tides there, so swimming and snorkeling there was not outstanding. they did offer free snorkeling equipment, beach towels readily available, and free escorted snorkeling excursions including night time snorkeling trips. The clientele there tended to be elderly and some family groups, not social with each other in general, but this also meant that the bar, beach and pool were not crowded generally. Very close and convenient to Christiansted and shopping of all sorts. Difficult to find at first, watch closely for signs. And beware the speed bumps in the road on the way in! Oh, the beds were nice, but the pillows were plentiful, but cheap, flat, foam pillows. Very picturesque! All large ocean view rooms and beautiful grounds. Be sure to take in the Friday night surf & turf, best filet ever, and gigantic lobster.

Room Tip: each room has a nice patio or balcony, relatively private and beachside. Air conditioners were quie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had a great time at the Palms. The view from our room was just spectacular. The staff were friendly and helpful. It is essential to rent a car to get all you can from your visit. After our free introductory snorkeling lesson and the gear supplied by the Palms, we visited 3 different beaches around the island and had a wonderful time. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I took a chance going somewhere we knew nothing about. We just wanted to escape the brutal winter while celebrating our 5 year anniversary. It turned out to be the best vacation we've ever taken, and the Palms was the best part.

We got the Romance Package and stayed in room 4 which is ground level with a beautiful patio that walks out to the beach. They've built it smartly such that all the rooms feel private. You can't see your neighbors when you're lounging on the patio, so it was very relaxing.

The Palms front desk was very friendly, highlighted by the assistant manager, Marc. He worked with us by phone and email leading up to the trip regarding activities. He is extremely helpful and (insert any positive adjective here and it will apply). On the day the island tour van was supposed to pick us up at the lobby, the tour guy forgot about us, so Marc drove us to meet up with the tour. Simply amazing service!

I won't get into all the specifics since there is so much to enjoy there. The island tour and the Buck Island excursion were our favorite activities.

We'll be back!

Mike S.

ps. the ONLY negative (and it was a minor point) was that the WiFi didn't work in the room. The lobby and restaurant area had good WiFi though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dakota, Illinois, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The three nights we spent at the Palms of Pelican Cove were relaxing, fun, and everything you could hope for in a Caribbean resort. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the grounds are lovely and spacious, and the pool and beach are large, expansive, and just a few feet from your room.
Our second floor balcony room had a view of the ocean and the beach, and we felt surrounded by the charms of the Caribbean everywhere we went. We had a rental car, which I would recommend for any stays on the northeast side of St. Croix. We enjoyed a day trip out to Point Udall, the easternmost point of the United States, which I thought was well worth it, despite the narrow road.
We had two highlights while staying at the Palms. The first was “Caribbean Night,” which is held on Monday nights. They serve a great big buffet of all kinds of good food, and then you can sit around your table and watch some Caribbean entertainment, featuring dancers, and some fire twirling women belly dancers.
We were also fortunate to have Mitch, a man of many talents, take just the two of us well out into the water over the coral reef, on a day snorkel trip. We were in the water for ninety minutes, and the whole time Mitch was showing us the many kinds of fish and coral visible below us, including sting rays, squid, and a brittle starfish with legs that he will put into your hand to see how it crawls. Amazing. That trip was complimentary, and made possible in part because we are experienced snorkelers. Mitch also has trips for people who have never snorkeled before, and gives them a very fun time as well.
The verandas and open spaces of the Palms make you feel like you are at a fine hotel in the middle of a beach. Unlike some places you might visit in the states, however, it seemed to me like everything you might have expected to tip or pay extra for, was included, from beach towels to snorkel gear. Every time we turned around it seemed like someone was there to help us in an unexpected way.
We had a wonderful time, and the follow up to our visit was superb. They helped me to solve the mystery of what I had done with some camera lens covers some three weeks after we had returned to the mainland. I would highly recommend the Palms of Pelican Cove as a superior place to stay in St. Croix.

Room Tip: All the rooms have views of the ocean and the beach. They will leave it up to you whether you want a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Villa Hills, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Our stay on the island was only five days, but we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the resort. I can only echo the comments left by previous reviewers. The resort is a short ride from the airport, and a $10 taxi ride/10 minutes from downtown Christiansted. We found our room to be spacious and close to the beach with a beautiful view. Every room had beach chairs on the patio or balcony to relax. A refrigerator in the room was a nice touch. Every staff member greeted us was helpful and courteous. While we didn't eat dinner there, we enjoyed great breakfasts in the outdoor seating area, as well as drinks and appetizers at the bar. As some have previously mentioned, the atmosphere is laid back and casual--which fits in perfectly with the vibe we got from everywhere we went on the island. While we didn't have time to take in the snorkeling trips, we watched as others received complimentary scuba lessons at the pool. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!