“Spacious, gracious, welcoming and relaxing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

You added The Palms at Pelican Cove to your Saves list
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Dakota, Illinois, Usa
“Spacious, gracious, welcoming and relaxing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The three nights we spent at the Palms of Pelican Cove were relaxing, fun, and everything you could hope for in a Caribbean resort. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the grounds are lovely and spacious, and the pool and beach are large, expansive, and just a few feet from your room.
Our second floor balcony room had a view of the ocean and the beach, and we felt surrounded by the charms of the Caribbean everywhere we went. We had a rental car, which I would recommend for any stays on the northeast side of St. Croix. We enjoyed a day trip out to Point Udall, the easternmost point of the United States, which I thought was well worth it, despite the narrow road.
We had two highlights while staying at the Palms. The first was “Caribbean Night,” which is held on Monday nights. They serve a great big buffet of all kinds of good food, and then you can sit around your table and watch some Caribbean entertainment, featuring dancers, and some fire twirling women belly dancers.
We were also fortunate to have Mitch, a man of many talents, take just the two of us well out into the water over the coral reef, on a day snorkel trip. We were in the water for ninety minutes, and the whole time Mitch was showing us the many kinds of fish and coral visible below us, including sting rays, squid, and a brittle starfish with legs that he will put into your hand to see how it crawls. Amazing. That trip was complimentary, and made possible in part because we are experienced snorkelers. Mitch also has trips for people who have never snorkeled before, and gives them a very fun time as well.
The verandas and open spaces of the Palms make you feel like you are at a fine hotel in the middle of a beach. Unlike some places you might visit in the states, however, it seemed to me like everything you might have expected to tip or pay extra for, was included, from beach towels to snorkel gear. Every time we turned around it seemed like someone was there to help us in an unexpected way.
We had a wonderful time, and the follow up to our visit was superb. They helped me to solve the mystery of what I had done with some camera lens covers some three weeks after we had returned to the mainland. I would highly recommend the Palms of Pelican Cove as a superior place to stay in St. Croix.

Room Tip: All the rooms have views of the ocean and the beach. They will leave it up to you whether you want a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Villa Hills, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Our stay on the island was only five days, but we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the resort. I can only echo the comments left by previous reviewers. The resort is a short ride from the airport, and a $10 taxi ride/10 minutes from downtown Christiansted. We found our room to be spacious and close to the beach with a beautiful view. Every room had beach chairs on the patio or balcony to relax. A refrigerator in the room was a nice touch. Every staff member greeted us was helpful and courteous. While we didn't eat dinner there, we enjoyed great breakfasts in the outdoor seating area, as well as drinks and appetizers at the bar. As some have previously mentioned, the atmosphere is laid back and casual--which fits in perfectly with the vibe we got from everywhere we went on the island. While we didn't have time to take in the snorkeling trips, we watched as others received complimentary scuba lessons at the pool. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed at the Palms for 10 days, and found everyone to be friendly and helpful. We loved our accommodations right on the beach. We did not need air conditioning with the wonderful constant breeze. The food was great, especially liked the breakfast omelets and coffee. We often took a taxi to Christiansted which was only $5, however we rented a car for a few days to get around to the other attractions. A highlight of the trip was the Monday Caribbean Night --Kikki's Flaming Gypsy dancers, Mokko Jombies, live music and fabulous buffet. Also, we tried the resort snorkel tour with Louis who was just excellent as an underwater guide, taking pictures of the whole excursion. The swimming pool and grounds are constantly maintained. We enjoyed seeing pelicans, iguanas, and beautiful tropical flowers - did I mention palm trees? Everything was beautiful.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the ocean; we were on the ground level which we preferred.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Yukon, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The staff and accommodations here were amazing. Service with a smile and the most beautiful views from the rooms and breakfast table. Thank you for making our trip great Chuck, Julie, Natalie, Ocean, Jose, Erin, and the many others who made our trip!

• Stayed February 2014
New Boston, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

That is what my 10 year old son said, after being treated to a night snorkel by Chuck, the hotel owner. My 11 year old son agreed with him. My 8 year old son got to experience the day snorkel (as did the other 2 boys, as well as my husband and I) with Louis, on one of the first days there. We also got to use the hotel's snorkel gear for the remainder of our stay(11 nights, 10 days). Not only was it complimentary, but Chuck and Louis took pictures with their waterproof cameras, and gave us photos on CDs, free of charge as well! What?! Unheard of, in the world of customer service!

When we arrived, I was "wow'ed" by the view from the hotel, and especially so from our room, #2, on the ground level. Our patio went right onto the sand. Palm trees and other pretty landscaping led out to the ocean view. Just lovely.

Tom took us by golf cart to our room. My husband followed him in the rental car(we recommend one if you plan on exploring this island!!), and Tom let my excited boys and I hop on the cart as he led us to the building and room. He was so friendly and carried our luggage with us, and kindly refused a tip afterward.

We have stayed in much swankier hotels, though. By the end of the first night, I was worried that maybe we had made a mistake with booking this hotel- it was clean enough, but, not updated, and a bit worn. The tv did not work well-flickered. The outlets on one wall did not function. The AC was not turned on when we arrived, which would have been quite nice for folks like us who were coming from NH and wearing long sleeves and pants. :) It took a while for the AC to actually kick in and cool the room down comfortably. Knobs missing on the bathroom drawers. Worn out patio furniture. That kind of thing. The first night that we had dinner there, they seemed very understaffed. Nobody even took a drink order for us until 25minutes into being seated. And we didn't eat until 45-60minutes into being seated. I even ran to the room for granola bars for the boys to eat, while we waited...they had been traveling all day and were famished! When the meal came, though, finally, it was good.

And- although the Caribbean folks go by "Caribbean Time" and are MUCH slower, service-wise, than what we're used to in the States, that was the only meal we had any issue with. The rest of our time there, we ate at the restaurant on site often, and did not have the issue we had that first night. The breakfasts were amazing, actually, and the servers were the sweetest, friendliest women ever! The view while you eat is so pretty, and the food is pretty good! If you order from the bar, you can get more casual food, including pizzas(to go, even)! Worked out well for the kids, and I wish we had realized that earlier than we did. The bartenders were fun and the mixed drinks we ordered were delicious.

OK, so- while I was worried about our choice the first night, by the next day, probably by afternoon time, I had completely changed my mind and decided that if we ever wanted to return to this island, that we'd be staying at The Palms again. Why? The people there. The staff. Erin, who not only helped my husband plan/book our excursions for the trip, free of charge, but who had also answered a few of my questions via Facebook prior to the trip- was a sweetheart! Her father, Chuck, the owner, ended up feeling like a long-time friend by the time we'd left. He had us to his condo there on site before taking us on our 2 night snorkels (you must be brave and try this if you go! Seeing moray eels, octopus, sting ray, fish of all kinds, etc. by water flashlight, is the most amazing experience). He offered scotch and a cigar to my husband before heading out...he is just a relaxed, cool guy who is clearly in this business for his love of people. Louis was the gentleman who took us out on our first trial run snorkel lesson, and he might be the kindest, sweetest guy we've ever met. He checked in on us when he saw us on the property the other days. Mark, at the desk, was funny and friendly and chatty. Even all of the cleaning folks and gardeners offered "Good afternoon" and "How are you?" and smiles, every time we passed.

The favorite event we had at the Palms might have been Caribbean Night. The place gets packed- people staying at other resorts even come to this and there are hundreds of people there. There are Moko Jumbies-stilt walkers/dancers, fire dancers, and other dancing done by the guests, after everyone enjoys a delicious Caribbean style buffet. Make a reservation for this if you want to go- they have it every Monday, and you don't want to miss it!

We went all over the island on our 10 days, in our rental. Explored all of it, and did excursions like scuba lessons at Cane Bay; half-day snorkel/boat trip to Buck Island(a must do, despite rough waters when we went); ATV tour with Gecko Adventures; visits to Point Udall, Christianstead and Friedrickstead, Sandy Point Wildlife Reserve Beach (the most beautiful place ever), etc. We were able to borrow the hotel's beach towels for the whole stay- you just walk over and trade the wet ones for dry ones, and can take them with you every day, which was awesome. So easy-peasy, and low-key. If we hadn't had a rental car, we would have been bored after a couple of days there. We did play tennis for a bit in their older court, but other than the pool, and beach(which is not really suitable for actual swimming due to the coral), and Monday's Caribbean night, there is not a ton of extra activities there to do (especially with kids), so you would want to have a car to do your own island exploring/excursions. The neighborhood that abuts the Palms is not the nicest(although certainly not the worst we saw on the island!)- there is nothing really that you can walk to, other than maybe Gas City, the gas station (with ATM) on the corner! However, if it were just my husband and I going to vacation, we would happily be very content to snooze/lounge pool or beachside, or on our patio, for the whole stay there! We would not be bored. :)

On our last full day, we decided to check out the Buccaneer, which is another resort not far from The Palms. We actually paid for a day pass, so we booked a room for a day. We wanted to check it out and compare it the The Palms. It was swanky in comparison for sure. Felt spoiled and like a celebrity there. The room was spotless and modern, and nice and cold, with a cranking AC. The ice bucket was full for us, as was a fresh pitcher of water.

But, because the beautiful property is cleaner/more kept up, it was almost void of wildlife, where The Palms' owner tries to be more eco-friendly, and in turn, has a property full of hermit crabs, pelicans and other birds, geckos, iguanas, and of course all of the ocean creatures that make the snorkeling there amazing. The Buccaneer was pointless in regards to snorkeling- nothing to see. And where you can sit on Mermaid Beach there (the calmest beach we went to for swimming) and have the servers loudly walk by asking if you'd like to order a drink, at the Palms I could sit on the beach in a chair and be completely alone and in peace and quiet. You won't find that at the Buccaneer. Even the patios at The Palms are much more private- can't see another patio, where the ones at The Grotto area of the Buc. were more connected/could see the next person's patio.

We were so glad to have had the chance to see 2 different (and highly rated) places on this island. My husband said it well: "Martha Stewart and Joe Biden might have stayed at The Buccaneer, but if Steve Irwin was still alive, he'd be staying at The Palms on Pelican Cove." Yup.

My 8 year old said, as we left, that he didn't want to go, and that: "it was the best days of my life!" I agree. Hope we can come back again one day, back to The Palms and the wonderful people there. (I'm teary as I type this!)
PS: I have hundreds of photos, but Trip Advisor limited my ability to add more than the ones posted here. If anyone would like to check out more photos, I have some at the blog I wrote that journals about our vacation, including our stay at the Palms. It is called: sunkissedandrelaxed@blogspot.com

Room Tip: The ground level was awesome- being beachfront made it nice to leave our sandy shoes out there, and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I highly recommend this resort, it is in the perfect location. Staff is very friendly, food is delicious and reasonable, so are the drinks (well served). They have different events in the evenings (check calendar), I had a wonderful evening with a group of friends, soft jazz singer, you can dance if you like, you are right in front of the ocean so you can see and hear the waves crash, warm breeze during sunset time. Very clean, nice pool,oh! on Mondays you have to check out the GYPSY dancers, what a great show for everyone (any age), overall I had a great experience and would def return! did I mention romantic evenings...yes you will get that, just the atmosphere and the great hospitality. Jessica

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Pelahatchie, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

You can believe all the reviews about this hotel except for the snorkeling at the hotel beach. I want to let you know that the staff was friendly, the rooms were very nice. The service in the dining room was a little slow but not because of the servers ... I think it was more of a kitchen problem. On the other hand it's hard to beat a steak over an inch thick accompanied by a lobster (the Surf & Turf) for $40. Had a little trouble with my A/C in the room and they moved us into a suite at no extra charge. But lets get to the beach snorkeling. I am an avid snorkeler and a very good swimmer - silver & gold AAU medals in swimming and a member of the 313th USAF swimming team out of Japan in my youth. Due to the constant westerlies off of the African continent there is a constant pounding surf. This makes visibility very poor for the first 100+ yards, assuming you have the skill and swimming ability to get that far. In any event, about 90% of the coral in this area is dead anyway. Additionally there is a very strong outgoing current and another side current that flows between the two offshore reefs. During the 12 days of our stay,except for one day, I was the only one crazy enough to go snorkeling. If you are good enough to make it past the currents and the breakers (maybe 150 yards) there are great things to see. Nothing like Belize but better than shore snorkeling off Cancun,Cozumel,Jamaica,Nassau or the Caymans just to name few. I saw hundreds of reef fish including the larger ones like Parrot Fish, Sting Rays,Nurse Sharks etc. The trick is to make it through the crashing waves to get there. Now comes the other shoe. There is a strong outgoing current so you have to swim through it to get back to shore. Even I could not do this ... you must crab sideways until you get out of the flow---not for the faint of heart or less than very good swimmers. There were two occasions where I got caught not being able to make any headway through the tide for about 10 minutes; just stayed there stationary kicking and doing the breast stroke just to keep from being swept backwards - a very nervous experience. My reason for this review is to let those of you who expect to beach snorkel in calm waters off the hotel beach, it's not to be.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!