“Went Above and Beyond for our Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

CheapCaribbean Expedia.com
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Cary, North Carolina
“Went Above and Beyond for our Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had our wedding hosted at the Palms and I don't think we could have chosen a more perfect place. Chuck and his family were great...they took us on two different guided snorkeling tours (one a night tour!), gave us pictures to take home of all of the underwater shots, and even invited us to dinner. Julie and Teddy were amazing at pulling all of our wants and wishes together just in time to make our wedding perfect. Julie helped plan the event far in advance, was meticulous with details, and made suggestions for the wedding ceremony that I would not have thought of myself but made it even better....truly went above and beyond to make us feel special. I wasn't even nervous on my wedding day and I attribute most of that to them. The setting on the beach between the two palm trees was beautiful for the wedding and pictures afterwards. Even after our wedding, while we were still at St. Croix staying somewhere else, everyone at the Palms was welcoming and willing to help in whatever way they could to make sure we had a great time. That was all they cared about. I couldn't recommend a better place to stay for vacation or to host a wedding. If I had to do it all over again, would do it exactly the same way.

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at the Palms for a quick 3-night stay, but the experience was so wonderful I wish we’d had much longer. We currently live in Puerto Rico, so a tropical island vacation isn’t always as ‘special’ as it may be for those coming from the cold climate; however, my experience at the Palms was beyond special and this trip is by far my favorite due to the fabulous staff, breath taking scenery, great amenities and delicious food. We brought our 19-month-old son and he had a great time too! We will definitely be back!

The staff was the most friendly I’ve ever met, and the owners, Chuck and Joyce, take the time tell you about local attractions, give recommendations and overall make you feel at home. Chuck offers free snorkeling tours (day and night) right in front of the hotel and we were able to see dozens of tropical fish and starfish… we even saw a giant Moray eel! He takes underwater photos for you to help capture the moment and is very knowledgeable about the local marine life. We never felt rushed and you can tell he genuinely loves snorkeling with his guests. The wait staff, front receptionist, bar tender and cleaning crew were also exceptionally nice. During multiple meals, when my little one was acting up the server took him and walked him around the restaurant so we could enjoy our meal. He loved it and we were able to enjoy the delicious food without distraction.

The hotel rooms are all updated, including a huge walk-in shower with nature stone tile, and there’s a large balcony with a beautiful ocean view. Room service wasn’t listed, but the staff had no problem helping me decide what to order and my food was delivered very quickly. They even made items for my toddler that weren’t on the menu. The food (room service and restaurant) were so good that we found ourselves eating there for most of the meals! Each night there’s a special (including steak and lobster, prime rib) so it was difficult to choose what to order!

The surrounding neighborhood was quaint and typical of an island town--lots of chickens and roasters, some iguanas and cats--but tons of friendly people. One lady even invited us into her home when we got caught walking in the pouring rain (after a small scold for walking in the rain with a baby) and then she even let us borrow her grandson’s toys for the remainder of our trip. Very nice people.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Palms and will definitely be back. If you want a huge resort feel this may not be the place for you. If you want a beautiful, relaxing vacation surrounded by people that truly want to make your stay better--- come visit the Palms!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We decided to go to St. Croix last minute for our honeymoon. It ended being one of the best trips we have ever taken, and our experience at the Palms made the trip. The first day Chuck stopped us heading to the beach with some snorkel gear, took out a map and proceeded to plan our entire trip. He then took us on a guided snorkel! The entire staff at the Palms was great, Mitch is a great guy, extremely accommodating. Food was great. Beach was beautiful. Later in the week, Chuck and Mitch took us on a guided night snorkel. It was an amazing experience, unforgettable.
We will definitely be heading back to St. Croix, and would not think twice about staying at the Palms again.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was coming to St. Croix for business, but brought my husband so that we could have some vacation, too. The Palms was recommended by my business colleagues, and what a wonderful choice it was. The Palms is not a flashy resort but it is neatly maintained and all the staff are friendly and helpful. By the end of our week, we knew many staff by name. We ate all our meals in the restaurant except one. The first night we went into Christiansted to a brew pub, which was only so-so. We are pretty picky about dining out, and all the meals at The Palms were wonderful. I loved sitting in the front row of tables in the morning, sipping coffee and hearing the waves and watching the beach action. It reminded me of times cruising on a sailboat in the Caribbean. Sunday brunch had a steel drum player for several hours - a lovely touch of island atmosphere - and the Monday night entertainment with Moko Jumbies and fire dancers was also great fun.

We took advantage of the snorkeling tours - first with Louis and then with Mitch. Both were very helpful and supportive of my husband who is not a great swimmer. They were also very informative about things to do on the island and helped us book a trip on a catamaran to Buck Island. Really can't say enough about the staff.

There were only two small disappointments. In spite of the high marks I give the restaurant, the Monday night buffet was pretty pedestrian - fried chicken, ribs, rice, mac and cheese and cole slaw. Frankly, I would have been happy to pay something for the entertainment and skip the dinner. Although the website says that all rooms have an ocean view, the balconies that face north have no breeze and are too hot to use. If you want to take advantage of the Trade Winds, book an east-facing room. Fortunately, there is air conditioning, but the unit was rather noisy.

As for the reviewer who complained about the seaweed on the beach and chickens on the hotel grounds - don't pay any attention. Seaweed is *natural* for heaven's sake. Would you complain if it was sea shells washed up? And I thought the free-roaming chickens a charming part of island life.

Room Tip: If you want to use the balcony, book an east-facing room for the breeze.
Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is the best hotel with the best staff. Eileen would greet us every morning with a large cup of coffee and an endless supply of sugar for my husband. Pat at the front desk is so sweet and always ready to help or answer a question. Mitch is awesome, taking guests out for snorkeling and underwater pictures and nature hikes to the old rum mill. He made us feel right at home, providing a great outdoor experience we truly loved. BJ was always smiling behind the bar and impressive with his service to guest. Ocean was the best bartender, we had a great time talking and laughing with her throughout the week. We met Chuck, the owner, one evening and he took time out to talk to us for a while, checking to make sure we were being well taken care of. Julie deserves a shout out too she's the best!!

Room Tip: Ground floors have a great patio to enjoy the sunrise and coffee with an oceanfront view!!
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I must agree with everyone's comments about this resort! And just to piggy back off the other comments, my husband and I had the most amazing time with the staff as well!!

Shame on me as I should have written this back in July 2012 after my June stay. Life and work catches back up on you too fast when your trip is over. BUT, I must give an extra special shout out to Mitch for making my anniversary night unforgettable!!

He had told my husband and I earlier in the day that he had a special dinner planned for us and to be ready at 7:00pm for his arrival to pick us up. ;). So I'm ready and waiting for my chariot...(golf cart) to pick us up and boy oh boy did Mitch and Erickson blow me away! They had a table sitting on the beach with all the trimmings, candles and tiki torches!! It was beautiful and so private and It really made me feel so special! Yes, Mitch and Erickson... Dead on!

Needless to say with that night and the other 7 days and 6 nights, that type of service and friendliness was on point. They know how to treat people and by this...we have just finalized our reservations and we will see you all again November the 2nd.. WHOOP WHOOP!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Clark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

No regrets about staying here. Lots of good snorkeling right off the beach. Its not really much of a sandy beach for relaxing and swimming. But if you have a really young kid, I did see a mom at the waters edge with her child, 1st few feet was all she needed. After that, not really a sandy bottom. The bar tenders were all GREAT. And riding in my rental car, this was the place I heard the radio on the radio-"and tonight at the Palms" etc. They have stuff going on at times that brings in locals and guests from from other hotels. Its not the Waldorf and I dont want that anyway, but the rooms were still real nice and very clean. All the staff as friendly as can be. Good food. I'd definitely go back!

Room Tip: I did request a new shower curtain-thats the only bad thing I can say otherwise I would have gave 5...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!