There is a good reason why the Palms is rated #1 here on Tripadvisor. From the owner, to the housekeepers, to the bartenders and waitstaff, all know the meaning of great service. My wife and I spent a week there this January and could not have asked for a better experience.
There was a minor mix-up upon our arrival....we had asked for a second floor room and initially were given a ground floor room. One call to the front desk took care of the issue. Our bags were delayed and arrived late on the first night....Eddie was there with both of them in hand (heavy!)and a big smile. We were in room #33 which had a perfect view of the beach as do all the rooms there. The bed was very comfortable and the room was kept spotless. The showers are very cool...local stone on one wall and the floor. Chuck, the owner, helped us to plan our week with very helpful suggestions on what to see, and do and where to eat. I heartily agree with previous posters...RENT A CAR! Sure it's only $5 per person one way to C'sted, but that can add up. We did take a tour with one of the local taxi drivers and he was very knowledgeable about the island and this gave us a great overview on what we wanted to see and do. Driving on the left really isn't that big of a deal...I only almost killed us once. Oh, and be sure to arrange for your rental in advance...they go quickly...esp. the compacts. The drivers on St.Croix are very courteous...letting you into traffic with a flash of their lights...and you should beep in thanks. Dining...the Palms restaurant is great and almost too convenient...Savant was amazing...eat@cane bay was alot of fun with a very eclectic menu...Angry Nates was good as was Rum Runners both on the boardwalk.
John Eddie's Lowlife was the only real disappointment...dirty silverware, an oblivious waitress, brisket that was more fat than meat with no hint of smoke, and very strange tomato soup.
Another tip...call ahead to make sure what you want to do is open. We missed out on a restaurant and a kayaking trip as they were closed on the weekend (wth?) .
We did the Buck Island snorkel trip with Big Beard, but it was pretty choppy and not the best snorkeling I've experienced. The reef is still trying to regrow after Hugo decimated it in '89.
Another tip...bring your own snorkel gear with you...the provided stuff was just okay. There is good snorkeling in front of the Palms, but it was extremely rough while we were there.
All in all a great trip.....would we go back? Yes, in a heartbeat.. and would love to bring the kids.
Any questions?...shoot me an e-mail. I'll be posting pics soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands