“trip advisor community has it wrong” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms at Pelican Cove

Save Saved
You added The Palms at Pelican Cove to your Saves list
The Palms at Pelican Cove
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4126 La Grande Princesse, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Brooklyn, New York
“trip advisor community has it wrong”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We decided to book The Palms due to its #1 ranking on TripAdvisor - a method that has worked for us several times in the past. Well, i have to say that i have no idea how this hotel could possibly be # 1. The room itself is something you'd find find at a cheap rate motel in the states. The bedding was low quality, the tile floors were not clean, and the corners in the closet reminded me of caulking around a tub that had become grimy and dirty. There was dirt all around the edges to the point that my wife refused to put anything on the floor. The safe- which is actually a metal lockbox in the closet- was covered in rust both inside and out and the lighting in the room was so poor you could barely see - there were no overhead lights - just 2 lamps which were inadequate. But my chief complaint has to be the insects. The room was infested with mosquitos. I would spend my nights killing mosquitos so that my wife and I could get some bite-free sleep but it was to no avail. I killed 8 each of my first two nights and even requested no maid service so as to keep the door closed as much as possible to cut down on the infestation. And I get that I'm on an island and that bugs are part of the deal but I have stayed at hotels in Costa Rica in the rain forest that were not nearly as buggy as this because the maids would spray and take precaution to be mindful of the bug problem. Another issue was the snorkeling gear. While it was nice that the gear was offered to hotel guests free of charge, the gear itself did not appear to have been washed. On one occasion while going thru the gear to find a pair of fins, I pulled out a pair that was full of sand. When returning the gear one evening, our used snorkels which had been in our mouths all day were thrown right into the pile of gear that was offered to guests for use the following morning. Gross. The idea that we were putting unwashed snorkels in our mouths was disgusting. On the positive side, the hotel staff was extremely helpful and very friendly. The location of the hotel is great in that it is a short drive to Christiansted where the boardwalk is located, where boat excursions depart from and where you can find good restaurants and shopping. In addition, the hotel is right on the beach and you can snorkel or sunbathe right there. But all those features do not compensate for the poor quality of the room, particularly when the cost is nearly $300 per night.

Room Tip: We visited the Buccaneer for massages at the spa and had dinner afterwards and were quite impressed...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I certainly support your comment that Trip Advisor is an extremely good resource for travelers. We have a lot of guests that stay here as a result of our reviews and most everyone is very satisfied with their stay – that is why we have the #1 ranking on Trip Advisor. While they may come here for many reasons, our service is most always noted as being second to none. You complimented our staff for being helpful and friendly -thank you; they always go the extra mile to give our guests the best stay they possibly can. They take a great deal of pride in their work; most of the housekeepers have been here well over 20 years and are very good at what they do. And many reviewers have commented on how fresh and beautiful our newly renovated rooms are. I do wish that you would have mentioned the issues that you were having with your room when you first arrived so that we could have resolved many of your concerns on the spot – including spraying your room for mosquitoes. We had a rainy spell for a few days before you arrived and they came out as mosquitoes do everywhere. As a rule, most guests would prefer that their room not be sprayed unless there is a need. When you were doing your research for your trip, I’m sure you read that we are a favorite snorkel destination because of the great coral reef we have just off shore. We do our best to ensure that our complimentary snorkel gear is clean and organized. However, occasionally guests find it more convenient to access and replace the gear themselves rather than wait for an attendant. We did visit with the front desk to remind them of the proper procedure. I am glad that overall you did have positive experiences on your visit to St. Croix and we hope that you come again to visit our place in the sun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

For the price, this place couldn't be beat! I have stayed in 5 star hotels, and while this doesn't compare to the Ritz, it's a superb for what you pay, and I would certainly go back. Rent a car, dinners must be experienced elsewere!

Room Interior: Very basic interior: Off-white tile floors, light-yellow walls. Bathroom was nicely configured, and the shower temperature and pressure were good. We stayed in a corner room on the first floor. The room was very large. But it had a mildly "musty" order. The best I could figure out was that the inside of the AC's may have had some mold, as the smell was strongest near the AC. The smell was not bad, but it was noticeable. I did ask the front desk if we could switch rooms but they were full until midweek, and by then I was not about to give up my fabulous private patio.

Room Exterior: Great private patio with lounge seats right on the ocean. Amazing views! This was heavenly.

Beach: Because there is a great deal of coral just off the shore, the width of the beach is roughly 6 feet - 30 feel. Just enough room to walk comfortably and lounge in chairs. The upside of this is that it was a very quiet area. If you like to hunt for sea glass, this place is amazing! (I'm convinced many throw wine bottles into the ocean daily, and with all of the coral immediately off the shore, it doesn't take long for the glass to become sea glass.) There is not too many areas to swim due to the coral. Bring water shoes if you want to wade in the water, the coral can be rough on the feet.

Swimming/Snorkeling: This hotel has the best reputation for snorkeling on St. Croix, and I would have to agree. It is a great place to swim? Not so much. There is a channel that you can swim in perpendicular to the shore. But that's about it. The staff are more than happy to give a guided snorkeling tours just off their beach. These were fun! (And informative, and the safety overview was beneficial. If you were to get swept away in a rip tide, swim perpendicular to the shore, until you are out of it, then swim in. Fortunately this didn't happen to me, and do I think it happens often.) In high tide you can comfortably swim over all of the coral and see amazing see life. In low tide you need to be careful since you could scrape your stomach on the coral if you are not careful where you swim.There is an underwater coral "ridge" to the right of the channel that had a sting ray nest just over it, on occasion I would find myself unexpectedly just a few feet from the stingray. That was cool! (Due to the copious amounts of coral, this is not a good beach for toddlers.)

Local Activities: We rented a car and toured the entire island. Great hikes! Be sure to see Point Udall--beautiful views of the ocean from there. The Divi Hotel on the other side of the island is a great day trip. And they have amazing frozen drinks that are not to be missed! We also visited many beaches simply by using our smart phones and heading out to see what we could find. Great beaches can be found all over the island!

Hotel Restaurant: Breakfasts were great. However, skip the hotel restaurant for dinner. We ate dinner here twice and were disappointed both times. High priced food that was very bland. The bar provides typical pub food that is good for pub food.

Local Restaurants: The forums for St. Croix are fabulous for dining recommendations. Don't miss The Buccaneer for a sunset dinner. The views are simply breathtaking, and the food here was probably the best meal of our week.

Would I go back? Yes, but I will try the Buccaneer next time just for a change. Though I might have to stay a night or two at the Palms for the snorkeling! Great place for the price!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We just returned from a week stay at the palms Nov 10th to 17th. This was our third stay at the Palms in 4 years and it seems to just keep getting better with time. Our room was clean, comfortable beds, and what you would expect for a beachside resort. Liked the convienence of the remote controlled AC unit in the room along with mini fridge and microwave. Staff were very friendly and accomadating. Mama G (housekeeping) always checked in with us every time we ran into her inquiring about our room and if we needed anything. Access to washer/dryer and the ice machine worked well.
We ate most of our meals at the restaurant and received very good service regardless of how busy they were (which was often so be prepared). Highly recommend Friday Lobster night and not to miss their Monday "Caribbean Night" with the firedancing ladies and Mooko Jumbi stilt walkers. Very entertaining. Other nights they seemed to always have live singers serenading through the dinner service. Excellent ambiance. Food was great value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here during the last weekend of September and we could not have been happier. We opted to stay here because my wife's close friends were getting married at the resort, what a great choice. From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out the staff was excellent. They attended to our every need and want. The grounds were very well maintained and the beach was very clean. Two helpful tips, enjoy swimming in the breathtaking ocean and snorkeling with Mitch is a must. Our bartender Rico made the best drinks on the island and was welcoming to everyone at a busy bar. The room was more than enough for my wife and I and the view was amazing. If you're considering a trip to St. Croix, please do yourself a favor and stay at The Palms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at a couple places when I came to St Croix and the customer service at the Palms was above and beyond! The owner took us out personally for snorkeling right behind the resort that had some amazing reefs and wildlife. The entire staff was friendly and always asking if I needed anything. The place was very clean and the AC was great, which is hard to find on an island resort. Food was excellent! Overall I couldn't have asked for anymore and I will be coming back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We recently visited the palms for a close friends wedding. There were 14 in our party and we were treated very well. Chuck, the owner, just sat down next to us by the pool, gave us helpful hints about the island and offered to take our group snorkeling that day. We took him up on that offer and we had a blast. The atmosphere, food, rooms and staff make the Palms the best vacation experience I have ever had. I cannot say enough about how pleasant, and helpful the staff is, not just when you ask but they go out of their way to find you and make sure you are taken care of. Mitch is awesome and helpful, Mama G is a sweet spirited housekeeper and Rico is one of the best bartenders around. Dawn is simply a delight to sit and visit with. We had several people in our party who lost items and the next day the front desk would have it. I left a pile of jewelry by the pool and the next day it was at the front desk. These are honest hardworking people who make you feel safe and at home.Traveling around via taxi is your best bet if you don't rent a car and the Palms can set you up with Maurice who was cheaper than most taxi's. He was happy to take us anywhere we wanted to go and we ran around alot. Usually one time visit in enough for me in an island far away but I will certainly be back to visit St. Croix and all it has to offer and I will certianly stay at the Palms on my return visit!

Room Tip: We saw many rooms since there were so many in our group, we were in #10. Comfortable bed great ocean...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review. I can assure you that our staff had as wonderful a time visiting with all the great people in your party as it sounds like all of you had staying here. Everyone came down here to relax and enjoy each others company and I could certainly tell that success on that front was had by all. I will make sure that I pass along all of your gracious comments to our staff; they will be thrilled that they made such a big difference in your stay. We look forward to you returning again and again.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at Palms from 1-7 October and I had one of the best experiences ever! I needed a getaway from the crazy NYC and a quiet and peaceful time. After having read through some of the reviews I finally decided to do my first ever solo travelling to the palms at Pelican Cove and I wasn't disappointed!! October was rather slow at Palms ( so I was told) and very quiet but it was the perfect time for me and the right place/resort that I was looking for! I had the entire beach just for myself!:) What a beautiful beach and a breathtaking view right from the balcony of my room!
All the staff there were very friendly and helpful. Mitch is an amazing person!! He took time to teach me snorkeling and took me out to my first awesome snorkeling experience right on the beach! I saw many different fish (sting ray, barracuda and lionfish). The next day, he took me on a hiking tour ( though I was the only one who signed up for it, he didn't even cancel the trip! what a professional!!!) On the tour, I tasted different kind of fruits grown on the island and met the islanders. Mitch also explained to me the history of the island and took as many pictures of my hiking and snorkeling experiences which he gave me the pics in a CD.
The restaurant was closed for renovation most of the days and service at the bar sometimes spotty (my only 'unpleasant' experience, in particular getting food, as I didn't want to leave the resort looking for restaurants nearby). The front desk suggested one close resort right next to Palms (Hibiscus) for lunch and dinner which I tried a couple of times but the food wasn't that great and the price expensive! Luckily, the restaurant at Palms reopened on Friday and I enjoyed all the food I had there.
Overall,my experience at Palms was fabulous! I strongly recommend the place, particularly during October if you are desperately looking for a quiet and peaceful place, individually or as a group!
I can't wait till October comes to visit Palms again!
DG, NYC

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!