We chose this place based on the many helpful reviews on tripadvisor (thanks so much to the reviewers!), and it did not disappoint.
I think there are only 30-40 rooms, each with private balcony or patio, in two buildings. Our room was large with a mini-fridge and a big bathroom, and we were on the first level so you could walk out the sliding door to the patio and step down onto the sand. We were conveniently near the laundry room w/ice machine, but you couldn't hear it at all. There is 24 hr security at the hotel, so someone is always around to help you. Due to flight delays, we arrived at the hotel around 3 a.m., but there was someone at the front desk and security guys showed us around and took us to our room! One of the guys, Eddie, found out that my son loves mangoes. The next day, he brought us a huge bag of mangoes from his tree.
There is a grocery store and the town of Christiansted just a few miles away (5-10 minute car ride). I would recommend renting a car if you want to explore the island or take a trip to Buck Island (boats leave from the town of Christiansted). We really wanted to see Sandy Point, but it was closed for turtle nesting March through September.
The hotel restaurant is lovely. It is open-air with a beautiful view of the water and a fantastic breeze. If you are there during the week, don't miss Wednesday dinner - it is Caribbean night - a huge buffet, live music, beach limbo, and the Moko Jumbies. They have something special every day (Sun. brunch, trivia night, live music, etc).
Another nice thing about the hotel is that they provide everything (at no extra cost): snorkel gear, beach towels, guided hikes, snorkel lessons, internet, etc, so you can pack light! You can snorkel just feet from the hotel and see lots of interesting things. Many reviewers mentioned Mitch. He is terrific and so much fun. He is a fixture at the hotel and can tell you everything you need to know about the island. He taught us how to snorkel and took us out in the water, and he took many underwater photos and gave us a CD of them to take home. He leads a hike around the area. He gave us great directions and parking tips (this is good, because there are many small roads and the maps are not that detailed).
There are so many good things to say about the Palms, but the most memorable thing about the island and the Palms is the warm and wonderful people! It was a joy talking to everyone at the Palms - they were all so helpful, warm, and interesting, and they really made you feel at home. It makes me want to go back already!
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.