“Not the best choice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Caravelle on St. Croix

You added Hotel Caravelle on St. Croix to your Saves list
Hotel Caravelle on St. Croix
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   44A Queen Cross Street, Christiansted, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Dallas, Texas
“Not the best choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Cons: No elevator, which is fine when you're headed down to the beach but absolutely horrible when trying to schlep luggage up and down the stairs. I heard the man next door cough and looked up in fear that he was actually in the room because the walls were so thin with no sound barrier. And don't even get me started on having to listen to the sounds of other people's sex and the bed banging against the wall on the other side of me--and up one flight!
The hotel is old and needs a lot of refurbishment. My room was clean but worn out and the bed was horrible. The mattress was just a step above sleeping on a concrete block.
Pros: Very friendly staff. And the Rum Runner restaurant was excellent. They had great food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times now while on work travel and have generally had a positive experience.

Pros: The staff are great- super-friendly and helpful. Convenient location right on the boardwalk, you can walk to to all of the old town easily. The adjacent Rum Runners is a great little bar in itself if you are lazy!

Cons: Caravelle is showing its age and I think the hotel suffers from water leakage problems. The rooms always smell musty, if not moldy. Another traveller next door to me had to be moved it bothered her asthma so much. The recently renovated rooms are in better condition for the moment. The nozzle in the shower is completely wrong for the setup and I have spent minutes trying to adjust the temperature and turn the water off! It is very strange. Parking lot is very small and cramped- it will test your parking skills.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Copenhagen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is old and not well maintained. Carpets are placed at the outdoor balconies and the entire hotel suffers from the humid climate. We had 3 differnt rooms before finding a room that didn't that bad from mould.

Room Tip: If possible choose rooms at upper floors facing the habour.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was my first visit. I didn't expect a 4 star hotel for what I paid, but I certainly feel that I got my money's worth. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the room was nice. My room was always clean when I returned from the morning dives with clean sheets and towels, and the air conditioner worked well. The pool was always clean as well. The great view of the bay and the convenience to everything in town were added bonuses. Additionally, the dive boat picked us up right there at the pier. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Croix Virgin Islands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

cant beat the location but the motel is old and in diar need of upgrades everywere. Service like the rest of the island is very very poor. It is located near everything I wanted to see and in one of the safer parts.

Room Tip: all the same
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Derby, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My Husband and I just returned from a vacation to St. Croix. I had to write this review right away because the hotel and, the staff were fantastic!!! We have been to Christiansted several times and, have stayed in a different hotel. When we arrived in St, Croix we checked into the original hotel went to our room and, immediately checked out. I had very little time and called several other hotels on the island but, when I called the Hotel Caravelle I spoke to a woman who identified herself as Dahlia. She was very professional and, I felt comfortable immediatiately when I spoke to her. My husband and I were right up the street and proceeded to walk to the Hotel Caravelle. When we arrived I looked at several rooms with a man named Akeem. He was just super nice. Well, we settled into our room which faced the street. Not my favorite room ever but, o.k. The next day I did go to the office downstairs and, spoke to a woman named Zuly who is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. I expressed a few concerns about our room. Later on in the day I had the pleasure to meet Miss Hillary. She let me know that she had another oceanview room available and, wanted to show it to me. Needless to say this room was much nicer and my husband and I moved immediately. It had a view of the swimming pool as well as the harbor and, boardwalk. This completely changed my opinion of the hotel since my concerns were addressed very quickly. The next day I also had the pleasure to meet Miss Elsie. Miss Elsie gave me the sense that I was with family. This is a big thing since I have almost no family at all.

To sum things up I highly recommend the Hotel Caravelle to anyone visiting Christansted. It is a budget friendly hotel with a beautiful swimming pool. You cannot get closer to the water, restaurants, the boardwalk, and shopping. It is safe along with having a human being in the office from early in the day to late at night. You will not find this on any other properties. Spend alittle extra money and, get an oceanview room. It is worth it.

In closing I would like to send a big thank you to Miss Elsie and, Miss Hillary. Both of you went above and beyond to accommodate my husband and I. You truly made our vacation worth returning to Christansted and, the Hotel Caravelle. This goes for the rest of the staff also. We cannot wait to return and see everyone again. Peace, Light, and Love.

Room Tip: Request an oceanview room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My fifth time in this hotel, I can say that it has been making improvements slowly. My room had a nice view to the bay, the boardwalk and the pool. Facilities are clean all around, room was clean and the bathroom. The carpet needs to be removed or changed, it had some stains but no smells. We had a fridge and a microwave oven. Staff is nice. The safe did not work, reported it two times and nothing but didn't need it anyways. Now they have electronic locks for the door instead of keys, that was not available my last time. Overall great location and stay. Will be back again. Restaurant is good but needs to update the menu, not too exciting at least the dinner menu.

Room Tip: For couples room 315 is great, nice view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Caravelle on St. Croix? Share your experiences!