“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hibiscus Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Christiansted
Hibiscus Beach Resort
You added Hibiscus Beach Resort to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Boston
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We recently returned from an 11 day stay at the Hibiscus on our honeymoon. It was perfect for what we wanted (quiet, good views with no crowds, friendly staff, laid back atmosphere).

The Good:
- Views. Our room was closest to the beach. We had coffee every morning on our adirondacks watching the waves come in. This was why we chose this hotel and it was perfect. The "December Winds" came early this year they said and it was very breezy the entire time we were there.
- The Staff. Everyone at the hotel (and island in general) was very friendly. Unlike other Caribbean islands where tourists are treated as outsiders, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Since it was our honeymoon, we received a sample of the Cruzan rum and a gift certificate to the restaurant.
- Location. The hotel is about 20 minutes from Christiansted. 20 minutes from the airport. 30 minutes from Fredericksted. 15 minutes to Cane Bay.
- Safety. I never felt unsafe on the property or leaving our things in the room. Obviously you have to have common sense street smarts when you travel. The neighborhood outside of the hotel isn't the best and we used our iphones / google maps to get around the island. Our rule was to always lock the room and never lock the car. The hotel was very safe and I walked around early morning taking photos on the beach.
- Family friendly. Even though we were here on our honeymoon and there were other couples too, there were kids and kids stuff to do. There are many hammocks hanging from the palm trees, a beach volleyball court, and a small clean swimming pool.

The OK:
- The Beach. We live in Miami and are used to sandy beaches with no rocks. We tried to go in, but the rocks and the crazy waves were too much for us. We did see a lot of people go snorkeling farther out but they were all from the northeast or marine biology students.
- The Restaurant. The restaurant is not owned by Hibiscus and is an independent company. The staff and owner are great - very friendly and personable. The food unfortunately was hit and miss. We had a few great meals (Thanksgiving dinner was fantastic) and a few not so great ones. We knew if we complained they would have made it right, but we are always leery about sending food back to a kitchen. They are good people though and we kept going back.
- In-room amenities. We got a small refrigerator and microwave in our room. We went to the Pueblo supermarket on the main road and stocked up on sandwich, fruit, drinks, and breakfast stuff. This helped with the expense and quality of eating on the island. The AC worked great. The wifi was a bit slow (fine for email but no streaming) and the TV had 4 channels (USA, TNT, HBO, and local Channel 2). For a little hotel in the Caribbean, it was all we could ask for.
- The noise. The Friday night party was not a big deal for us. The owner of the restaurant warned us ahead of time, gave us a free breakfast the next day for our troubles, and roped off half of the beach near our rooms so people wouldn't come over near us. We turned on the TV and didn't hear much. We would have joined the party, but fell asleep.

The Bad:
- Shower. The only bad thing about the hotel was no water pressure. The water just sort of dribbled out. We did complain about that but it never really got resolved while we were there.

Other Things About St. Croix:
- We took a seaplane to St. Thomas for the day. Very cool thing to do but a bit pricey. $350 for 2 round trip tickets. St. Thomas is way more touristy and crowded. Our tour guide (we took a pick-up truck tour) said that St. Thomas is half as big as St. Croix but has twice as many people.
- Never lock your car or leave valuables in it. We didn't look in the glovebox but apparently it was locked and it got busted open when we went to a Fredericksted beach. They stole 75 cents from the center console but left the pennies and the extra set of keys that was in the glove box.
- You don't need a passport to go to the US Virgin Islands if you are a US citizen and you fly direct from Miami. If you fly through San Juan, you need a passport.
- Food in general was expensive and terrible on the island. We have a lot of great chefs in our family so we are a bit spoiled. We averaged about $40 per lunch and $100 per dinner. Even going to grocery stores yourself, the quality of food was not that great. It's no wonder the restaurants are only mediocre. When we go back to St. Croix (we will -- it is beautiful and laid back), we will definitely get a place with a kitchen. We found 2 good restaurants that we went to a couple of times: EAT on Cane Bay and Polly's by the Fredericksted Pier.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2010
Thank you for your extensive traveler’s review of your tropical vacation. I appreciate the time and effort that you put into explaining the details in your review, and I think that the specifics of your review will be of a benefit to future travelers. Since the overall impression of your visit is positive and explains that your honeymoon visit was perfect for your getaway, I’ll simply address some of the concerns that were mentioned.

Water pressure on the island is occasionally an issue when our Island’s water plant makes adjustments or is working in various areas. Because that is something that all hotels and condos and large complexes here must encounter on occasion, most of us have pumps to help with water pressure issues. Generally, it’s a rare occasion when pressure is low, but it does happen.

I was not aware that your television was not programmed properly. Since your visit a short time ago, we have had 2 other guests in the room in which you stayed, and they too did not mention this to us, but when I read your review I went right away to the room and saw that it had become un-programmed. I don’t know if perhaps it had become unplugged at some time in the past and did not get reprogrammed, but I apologize for this and wish we had known. We don’t get an extensive lineup but you should have had 12-15 channels minimum. I realize that when guests are tired from having been on the beach or from having been out touring or exploring, they wish to relax and see what’s on TV, even when on vacation, so this is important to me and again I apologize.

Lastly, at this time, passports are not required for any U.S. citizens to visit the U.S. Virgin Islands, including if you have a change or layover in San Juan. Since this could change in the future, I would advise all potential visitors to research this themselves when planning their visit to the U.S Virgin Islands.

Thank you again for your excellent and candid traveler post. You have provided a wealth of first-hand traveler information and I am happy that your general overall experience to our hotel and our island was positive and we are pleased to know that you will return again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

We booked into Hibiscus based on previous reviews and a comparatively good price. We were warmly welcomed at registration to this modestly sized resort, about 20 minutes north and west of Christiansted. All was in good order and our room was ready for us.
The rooms are attractive and appropriately furnished. Sadly, ours smelled of cigarette smoke throughout; the bureau drawers and bath also smelled of mildew. Otherwise, the room felt clean. The shower was ok.
The bed was so-so, with too big, stiff pillows to crink your neck! The resort was quiet and we slept with no disturbance -- even on Friday nite when they held their weekly nite club bash, which went on into the wee hours.
All the rooms face the ocean. Ours was set back from the shore by a hundred yards or so, which was fine. The wind blows constantly, giving one a new appreciation for "windswept."
The staff was uniformly gracious and welcoming. In spite of the small number of guests, they seemed busy most of the time, but always had a moment to say hello and offer to be of assistance.
The resort has 38 rooms, but only 1/2 were occupied during our stay, a surprise given it was a holiday weekend. This left an air of "no one's here" and "at last, no crowds." But then, we found a similar quiet nearly everywhere we went.
The restaurant looked promising, but proved disappointing. Our one meal (Friday nite $20 bargain of all the fish fiesta or steak) was mediocre; you get what you pay for, I guess. They offer a continental breakfast that is exactly as they describe -- boring cereal in boxex, plain bread for toasting, and stale appearing bakery, some modest fruit, coffee. Not worth getting up for.
Would we stay again? Maybe. It was a comparatively good value but the whole place feels tired, in need of refurbishing.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Thank you for your review. We appreciated getting to know you and your husband while visiting our property. Although overall I am pleased that you gave us good marks and that we know you enjoyed your stay and would recommend us, I will be happy to address some of the concerns mentioned.

Smoking is not allowed in our guest rooms; however, when the breezes are higher than normal and a guest smokes on his or her terrace or balcony, occasionally the smoke will drift into the rooms. We ask that guests please keep sliders closed when they are outside but it’s impossible to monitor this and we wouldn’t feel comfortable going to every guest and asking them to close their slider if they happened to be out on the porch, whether they were smoking or not. And although we were actually more than ¾ full, with tourists coming and going all week, we did have comparable rooms and would have been pleased to have relocated you to another same or similar room. It oftentimes does seem very quiet at our property and on our island, even when we are full with guests and tourists, simply because we are not a busy, congested destination island.

Regarding the free continental breakfast, we do freely state both on our website and our independently operated restaurant’s website that our continental breakfast is modest, and not an elaborate spread of breakfast foods. That’s why it’s free and we don’t charge for it. It’s not meant to be a filling buffet but more of an energy boost to start the day or perhaps a bite for those on the go. Guests are always welcome to order a la carte off the breakfast menu as an option if they desire a full, hearty breakfast.

Thank you again for your kind words regarding our staff and property. I am personally pleased with the comments regarding how our staff always went out of the way to say hello and to be of assistance.
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

My husband and I visited St. Croix and stayed at Hibiscus for a week, which included our 15 year anniversary. We had a slight rocky start, but were overly pleased with our stay. The hotel staff is incredible and will do anything to accommodate you. Beach towels, snorkeling equipment, and even a cooler to use for our entire trip. I cannot rave enough about the owners and the staff. Everyone is pleasant and remembers everything you need. The food and drinks at Elizabeth's H2O were outstanding! Kudos to John, John Jr., Marc, Jason, Fun Boy, Blake, Sara, Shakira, Aubrey, Nicole, Billy, Gary, Larry - everyone was so wonderful and we cannot wait to come back next year. The beach is great, so convenient and plenty of chairs to go around. This was exactly the type of place we were looking for. The Wifi is also very receptive, I had no problems with my phone or my computer. I read some reviews about the loud music on Friday night, and yes, it was loud, but we barely heard anything from our room and slept just fine. Plus, we enjoyed the party a little ourselves, it was local people, so we were able to mingle with them and very much enjoyed it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit with us and on the island of St Croix and that you are looking forward to a return visit next year. We find that many of our guests who stay with us for the first time become return guests for many years. Thank you for all of your nice comments; I have printed your review and distributed it among the staff.
Escondido, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

When I found this place on the internet and saw how little the cost was, I was quite apprehensive. I took a chance and booked it anyway and was more than pleasantly surprised how nice it was. Even though this isn't a 5 star hotel, it is kept very clean and the staff is very attentive to the guest's needs and requests. We had the upper floor with a balcony that overlooked the beach. The room faced the east which could have made for a bright sunrise morning but the black-out drapes did their job. The restaurant attached to the hotel is a separate entity and provided decent food with the hotel providing a "continental breakfast" each morning which could have been a little more upscale. Coffee/juice with toast is a little short in my opinion. Some pastries would have been better.

This hotel is not near anything and we opted out of renting a car for the week. That may or may not have been a mistake. The taxi rides here and there will more than exceed a rental car price. BUT, I did not feel I would be comfortable driving on the left side of the road without getting into some kind of trouble so we decided for public transportation and taxis. The buses are sporadic at best and the taxi drivers like to dig into the tourists wallet as much as they can. If you are adaptable, renting a car would be the better choice to get around.

The TV in the room was alright. You would think you aren't there to watch TV, but there are moments you do want to kick back and veg out out of the sun and heat. The room's AC was very good. Between that and the ceiling fan, we had to turn everything down to keep from freezing. The room also has a fridge and microwave in it which we took advantage of. Eating out every meal gets old and we brought home a bucket of chicken to munch on. (Church's Chicken a couple miles up the road .... better than any KFC)

Coming here in July is considered the off season. There weren't too many guests and it wasn't crowded anywhere. The temperature was always in the mid to high 80's with very high humidity. I found it difficult breathing at first while walking in the very soft beach sand. If you are used to high humidity, that's great. If not, be prepared. This IS a tropical island and they said it like this year around.

This hotel does have a swimming pool. It was always kept clean and it's right next to the restaurant and bar. This is great if you don't like the ocean water and/or if you have kids you want to keep nearby while you saddle-up to the bar for a Rum Punch.

They provided free wireless internet but it wasn't too great. I can't really expect it to be my usual high speed cable internet and it did keep me in contact with the outside world. Don't expect to be able to do any video conferencing with it.

This was my first time to the Virgin Islands. I don't know if I'll go back but I enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid review. I appreciate you taking the time to write about your trip, and I am pleased that your first visit to the Virgin Islands was a satisfactory one. When planning a destination vacation, one never knows what to expect from a location where they have never been, so I am glad that your overall experience was positive. As a footnote, we have increased the signal strength of our wireless internet, and while this is an island and the internet may still occasionally be iffy, it is at least better than it was in the past.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband and I got married on St. Croix, the whole wedding party stayed at The Hibiscus Beach Resort. We loved the view from our rooms. We did not expect to be so close to the beach. Everything stayed clean and tidy, despite all the sand we tracked around lol. I can't imagine a better experience.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
It is nice to hear from you and I am so very happy that your wedding celebration was full of fond and cherished memories. Many wedding celebrations are also family reunions of sorts, so we are pleased when the entire family enjoys their stay with us. We look forward to your return visit on your anniversary!
manassas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in St. Croix. It was our first trip so we were a little unsure what to expect. Hibiscus exceeded our expectations. our room was on the lower level (which I loved!) nothing extravagant, but just what we wanted. Super clean ( not 1 bug in our room which i fully expected being on an island!) & very, very comfortable. housekeeping swept and mopped our floors daily, which was good because we dragged in a lot of sand! even though the hotel was full, it never felt that way. always a beach chair to be found. The staff @ the hotel was very friendly and accomodating. any question or concern we had was taken care of immediately. They arranged for all of our taxis during the week. The owner even offered to drive us to the airport when the taxi was late on the morning of our departure. We spent a lot of time at Elizabeth's @ H20 and I have to say their bartenders are the best! Blake and Sheila both went out of their way to greet us by name each time they saw us, and spent time telling us about different things to do on the island. We had a great time talking with them. Not to mention the great drinks! We were there on a Friday night, when they had the DJ and I was a little concerned about the noise after reading other reviews. Those people must have super bionic hearing because our room was close to the bar and we didn't hear a thing. We enjoyed the music and when it was time to turn in, we didn't hear anything. The only thing that was a little disappointing was the amount of seagrass in the water. But even that wasn't a big deal. there were plenty of other beaches close by for swimming. And as far a privacy and comfort are concerned I would take hibiscus beach over the more populated clear water beach resorts anyday! It was nice to go there 2 swim, but it was awesome to come back to our relaxing, quiet beach at the end of the day. I could go on and on about all the great things at the hibiscus! we loved it and will absolutely be making a return trip!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to write at length about your visit. We know that honeymoons are special times, and we always try to make sure that our bridal couples enjoy their stays. I also appreciate you speaking about our Friday night entertainment. We do have various types of entertainment on Friday nights, and we will likely continue to have some type of event on Friday evenings. Like most island locations on the weekends, the festivities can be louder than perhaps some may be used to. Generally, however, during the rest of the week it’s a mostly sedate and quiet environment.
atlanta, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

we were in an upstair room with beautiful views. The staff went out of their way to be helpful-which is not always the case in the Caribbean. The room was spacious, but old. We had both a mini fridge and microwave. When we arrived, it was overcast for the first two days, but gorgeous the last two. The only disappointment was that there was loads of seaweed in the water. We traveled all over the island and found seaweed EVERYWHERE. The ONLY beach that did not have it, and had the clear typical beautiful water was Cane Bay--if you have a car-grab a towel and go, The beach is directly across from the dive shop and eats and is phenomenol. I am only sorry we didn't find this on day one. The hotel is convenient to everything and as I said a terrific place to stay

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Hibiscus Beach Resort and the island of St Croix. The presence of seaweed is an unfortunate, but natural, byproduct of being an island in a sea which has ocean currents. Seagrass is carried on these currents and occasionally there will be times when there will be more than at other times. We realize the importance of a beach to visiting tourists who commonly do not have the opportunity to spend time on a beach and are conscientious about this.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Resort
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#1 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 935 reviews

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!