“Restaurant Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Michigan
“Restaurant Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

From what I understand, the hotel is in need of renovations. I don't have any personal experiences to share. The private beach area is gorgeous and you can walk to the Palms along the sand nearby for dinner shows and upscale dining. Recently, Danny and Funboyz took over the bar and restaurant. The dinner menu is limited (maybe 6- 8 choices with a couple of daily specials?), but the two times I ate there, the tuna was delicious and my friends raved about their entrees as well. What I found odd is that wherever I dined, choices of salads and tropical fruits are missing from menus and grocery store shelves. Dinner will run about $20-30. I recommend the mahi fingers appetizer with the fresh potato chips and homemade tartar. Big enough for 2-3 to share. Yummy! No dessert menu though, again odd. Despite the low traffic in this restaurant, the food tasted fresh. Great location and beach feeling, but the few regular patrons are locals. Few tourists venture here. Most nights there were less than a dozen people, and only a few were diners; most who locals stopping in for drinks. It's a shame because the food is reasonable for the Caribbean and very good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Palm Coast, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Upon arriving my wife and i could not get the room we had the first time. Due to we where told the a/c was out. Okay the room we where to stay in the a/c was froze up and wires where hanging out of it. Very disappointing due to the fact I work for a University and maintain refrigeration and a/c systems on campus. Never would I leave a unit like that in disrepair. I realize its the islands and I am not just there for a/c. The ceiling fan didn't work either. The tv was on the floor at the doorway. I went to the front desk with these concerns. Marsha explained that she would move us. She and other staff including housekeepers are some of the nicest people God bless them. They seemed to go out of there way the best they could. As far as the overall condition since the last time was night and day. This little hotel could be one promising place if you could get the owners off there u know what and place money where it needs to be. We had booked our stay in June. Well it seems from then to November they where on generator. We where never notified about that. That's even okay with me except it was broken more than it was running. No standby to rotate so when it went down everything was down. We did have a/c in the room we where moved to if we had power. Then for 4 days no hot water....really! We planned for this trip knowing that Hibiscus wasn't a 5 star resort. We had loved it before and it had issues in our prior visit. However these owners are not business people by any means. The staff of course probably suffers due to these issues. As far as the restaurant fun boys have a good fair and where very nice. The restaurant I would visit again only cause of the creation of some awesome dinner fair. I only hope that the resort will be saved by someone with some real insight to make it great again. These owners need to throw in the towel. I praise the staff again for the caring they gave us. We felt at home and where all locals and the nicest people. I hope the new owners can keep those staff members that care. Recommendation.. start caring about this facility by putting money in it. You have the location. I have stayed at a Hostile before that had more pride than these owner have. Wake up for Gods sake.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at Hibiscus because of a LivingSocial deal but the reviews that I read and the photos that I saw did not prepare me for the sad condition the resort was in. Upon our arrival, we were placed in a room that did not have hot water, internet access, working phone lines, or an air conditioner that would shut off. So, we took cold showers in a FREEZING cold room. To top it off, there were lots of ants and a leaking mini-fridge. I woke up to dozens of bug bites all over my legs and arms and didn't know if it was bed bugs or the little sugar ants. We were moved to another room after the grand finale of our door not opening and the owner having to go next door and climb over the balcony. The new room was better, but not great. The resort has fallen into disrepair and it's very unfortunate because they're in a great location with a beautiful beach. The saving grace is the restaurant/bar. The food is INCREDIBLE. Let me repeat: INCREDIBLE. Chef Fun Boy is innovative and his dishes don't only taste amazing, they are beautiful to look at. The staff at the hotel is very friendly, accomodating, and strives to right the wrongs which is admirable. If we go back to St. Croix, we won't be staying at Hibiscus, but we will definitely be dining there again.

Room Tip: All rooms have "beachfront access" and a nice view, but it's a crap shoot on which roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was a looking for an inexpensive getaway so I purchased a Living Social coupon for the Hibiscus Beach Club and Resort in St Croix. I reviewed its website and determined that it was not a fancy hotel. The least I expected was a clean room, a bed, a clean bathroom and air conditioning. I was right about the bed.

The word "resort" in the hotel name is extremely misleading. There is nothing resembling a resort in this hotel. There are water stains and mold in the shower and the toilet (see photo). The drain cover in the shower is not attached to the shower (see photo). There are water stains and mold surrounding the base of the shower (see photo). The shower leaked water into the bedroom during each shower. There are water stains and mold surrounding the base of the patio door. It took all my strength to open and close the patio door because of the rust. The patio was in poor shape and possibly not properly secured to the building (see photo). The room did not have real hangers - it had hangers from KMART, complete with the S, X, XL and XXL tabs still on them (see photo). There was no safe to secure your valuables so we took our valuables with us when we left the room. The electrical box was covered in rust (see photo). We learned later of the faulty electrical system in the hotel. The roofs on the building needs repair (see photo) and the exterior of the buildings needs repair and painting.

On the first day (Monday), I ate at the bar and restaurant in the hotel. The menu was very limited. They often ran out of certain food and liquor at the bar. I got familiar with the staff and they quickly informed me that the sons of the former owner of the hotel took over the hotel in 2013 and the hotel has been in bad shape every since. The employees feared that the sons may soon file for bankruptcy. I met a local gentleman who used to do security for the hotel but quit working with the hotel when the hotel checks began to bounce.

On a few occasions, the office staff did not come to work. When they did come to work, they arrived late and left early. The owners came to the property every night to party and were always intoxicated.

On the second night (Tuesday), we woke up early so we could hit the beach. Unfortunately, we discovered that the power and the water were not working in the hotel. We assumed the issue was island-wide because of the storm the previous night but that was not the case. The hotel next door had power. We went without power and water until 1 pm on Tuesday. As such, we could not shower and had no air conditioning that entire time.

On the fourth day (Thursday), we were laying in bed when we heard a pop and saw sparks fly from the walls and the ceiling fan. The sparks from the ceiling fan landed on my bed. Thankfully, the bed did not catch fire. We then saw a second set of sparks burst from the ceiling fan. Despite the fact that the owners and managers live on the property, we could not reach them to help us with the problem. Instead, the owner of the restaurant came to our room but he was unable to repair the ceiling fan. The ceiling fan did not work for the rest of the trip.

On the fifth night (Friday), the power went out again. The power was restored hours later. Friday evening, we discovered a roach in our room. Just when we didn't think it could get any worse, there were a series of power surges in the room that night. During the first power surge, the lamps and air conditioning went off and on. Then there was a surge in the other lamps and the TV. Three of the four lamps in the room and the air conditioning never worked again. When I approached the hotel owner about the ceiling fan, lamp and air conditioning, he denied being an owner even though the staff pointed him out as an owner and he previously identified himself as an owner to my friend. At first he refused to send someone to my room to fixed the ceiling fan, lamps and air conditioning. When I complained again, he sent the hotel manager who was unable to fix the problem and was unable to move us to another room, probably because (as we found out later) nine other rooms also lost use of their air conditioning.

On Saturday (sixth night), I repeatedly called the front office to get someone to fix the air conditioning. After three requests, they finally sent the maintenance man to our room but he was unable to fix the ceiling fan, lamps and air conditioning. We suffered Friday, Saturday and Sunday without air conditioning. We were forced to sleep with the bathroom window and patio door open for air. That did not do much to cool off the room and we woke up to discover several dozen moths and other bugs in our room.

We checked out on the seventh day (Sunday) at noon. We asked to speak the manager or the owners about compensation for the issues we had during our stay. We were informed by the hotel staff that we could not speak with them because they were probably still asleep. The staff member said she tried reaching them all day but they were not picking up the phone.

Room Tip: It makes no difference. Every room is old and dirty.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We returned to Hisbiscus after having stayed there in 2011. We knew not to expect a fancy resort especially for the low cost, but were disappointed to see the lack of upkeep at the hotel in general. As many others have noted, we encountered a power outage of about 7 hours while at the resort, so showers were not an option for us after a day of diving until they finally fixed their old generator. The shower leaked/dripped constantly and the toilet was covered in rust stains and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Our door to the patio had to be man handled to open since the tracks were warped and the handle was broken. We only ate at the restaurant once and neither of us felt well afterwards. It is ashame because we loved the food last time and spent many nights at the resort instead of returning downtown to eat. The location is very central and I recommend renting a car to explore the island. The view still can't be beat each morning though when you open the curtains to see the crystal blue waters. Given the downward trend, we will probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hibiscus Beach Resort in Christiansted, St. Croix for a week and our stay was quite pleasurable.

The staff was friendly.
The beach was great.
The rooms were clean and ready for us upon arrival.

Dining was exceptionally good! If you're going to have breakfast there, I do suggest you try the Coconut French Toast; it is out of this world!!!

We did have a tiny issue with a brief electrical outage, however, the staff did everything they could to make us comfortable.

We were only out of electricity for 45 minutes, which, I understand is not uncommon in the Virgin Islands.

All in all, it was a great and enjoyable experience.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

From the beginning...we booked a deal on Living Social really not knowing what to expect at all. After receiving comformation, I called Hibiscus Beach Resort and made the reservation. I was told I had a balance of around $60 that I would have to pay once I got there. When we arrived in St Croix we caught a taxi which was more like a van to the resort. It's was $20. This van taxi is not affiliated with the resort. We pulled up to the resort and everything looked calm and peaceful. We gave our names to the front desk (which is a sliding glass window and I don't see the issue with that as other reviews have mentioned). We were originally supposed to be in a oceanfront room on the ground floor but I asked could we get the oceanview room on the top upper level. Basically all the room face the ocean. We were places in room 12. It was dark and there were little tiny ants in the bed. I called the front desk to see if we could switch. The front desk said that we could check out the original room. The original room was worse. We stayed in room 12 then received a phone call from the front desk and was advised that they had another room we could check out. Room 23. It was perfect. No ants in the bed and it was bright. The front desk lady, I think her name was Rashema, even came with me to check out the room.

1st day-by the time we settled in completely there wasn't much sunlight left. We ate and went back to the room and slept because we were tired from our flight.
2nd day- we woke up early and went to the front desk to book a tour. Rashema told us that she would knock on our door when it was time. Jade and Junior took us on thee most fun amazing tour ever! These two were soooooooo much fun. I don't think I can stress this enough. They took us to The Chicken Stack for food, two different beaches, The Cruzan Rum factory (so much history and so much liquor), the Sugar Mill (once again so much history), Mt Pelliar Hut for the beer drinking pigs, Big Poppa' bar for Poppajuana shots. They provided us with Cruzan Confussion drinks the whole day and they were awesome!!! And we stopped at the 'twerking pole' and 'break dance tree'. After the tour we came back to the resort, we changed clothes and went back out with Jade and Junior again. At this time things were blurry. They took us to the boardwalk and 3 other places and we literally danced the night away. We had an instant connect with Jade and Junior.
3rd day- we used the 3rd day to recover from the day before. Because its low season Hibiscus doesn't serve breakfast so I grabbed breakfast from the resort down the beach from Hibiscus. It's walking distance if u walk along the beach. Later we are dinner at the bar on Hibiscus Beach Resort. There was a fire show at the resort. Two very talented ladies dance while twirling fire around their body. The Mosquitos tore my legs up that night! I didn't have any bug spray.
4th day-we really relaxed on this day. We were able to catch the football games on tv. There was a live band playing at the bar for dinner. They sung Anniversary to us because that's what we were celebrating. This was our last night at the resort.
Last day-the power and water to the whole resort went out about 5 am. It was off for a few hours. The room didn't get hot to me but my spouse said that he was hot but he is always hot so take it for what its worth. Once the power came back on we went to the beach for the last time. This was my first time seeing Junior since the tour and he offered to take us to the airport. I wasn't able to speak to the front desk to check out because it was closed for some reason. There's a key dropbox though. Junior took us, as promised, to the airport and on the way he explained a little bit more about the island. I really wish I could've gave him a tip but it didn't seem like he took us for that reason. Bless that man's heart.

Thoughts- Hibiscus Beach Resort is not for the picky. You really have to be down to earth, humble and open minded. If u want luxury go somewhere else. If want to be surrounded by some awesome people and can look around some of the issues Hibiscus is your place. I've been home and back to work for a little over a week and I swear I look at life differently now. Hibiscus and St. Croix as a whole has the potential to be a great tourist attraction if they had the necessary funding. I really believe in that place and I would come back just to see Junior and Jade again and to be surrounded by genuinely nice people.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!