“Not what I was expecting” 2 of 5 stars

Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Springfield, Virginia
“Not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at Hibiscus because of a LivingSocial deal but the reviews that I read and the photos that I saw did not prepare me for the sad condition the resort was in. Upon our arrival, we were placed in a room that did not have hot water, internet access, working phone lines, or an air conditioner that would shut off. So, we took cold showers in a FREEZING cold room. To top it off, there were lots of ants and a leaking mini-fridge. I woke up to dozens of bug bites all over my legs and arms and didn't know if it was bed bugs or the little sugar ants. We were moved to another room after the grand finale of our door not opening and the owner having to go next door and climb over the balcony. The new room was better, but not great. The resort has fallen into disrepair and it's very unfortunate because they're in a great location with a beautiful beach. The saving grace is the restaurant/bar. The food is INCREDIBLE. Let me repeat: INCREDIBLE. Chef Fun Boy is innovative and his dishes don't only taste amazing, they are beautiful to look at. The staff at the hotel is very friendly, accomodating, and strives to right the wrongs which is admirable. If we go back to St. Croix, we won't be staying at Hibiscus, but we will definitely be dining there again.

Room Tip: All rooms have "beachfront access" and a nice view, but it's a crap shoot on which roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was a looking for an inexpensive getaway so I purchased a Living Social coupon for the Hibiscus Beach Club and Resort in St Croix. I reviewed its website and determined that it was not a fancy hotel. The least I expected was a clean room, a bed, a clean bathroom and air conditioning. I was right about the bed.

The word "resort" in the hotel name is extremely misleading. There is nothing resembling a resort in this hotel. There are water stains and mold in the shower and the toilet (see photo). The drain cover in the shower is not attached to the shower (see photo). There are water stains and mold surrounding the base of the shower (see photo). The shower leaked water into the bedroom during each shower. There are water stains and mold surrounding the base of the patio door. It took all my strength to open and close the patio door because of the rust. The patio was in poor shape and possibly not properly secured to the building (see photo). The room did not have real hangers - it had hangers from KMART, complete with the S, X, XL and XXL tabs still on them (see photo). There was no safe to secure your valuables so we took our valuables with us when we left the room. The electrical box was covered in rust (see photo). We learned later of the faulty electrical system in the hotel. The roofs on the building needs repair (see photo) and the exterior of the buildings needs repair and painting.

On the first day (Monday), I ate at the bar and restaurant in the hotel. The menu was very limited. They often ran out of certain food and liquor at the bar. I got familiar with the staff and they quickly informed me that the sons of the former owner of the hotel took over the hotel in 2013 and the hotel has been in bad shape every since. The employees feared that the sons may soon file for bankruptcy. I met a local gentleman who used to do security for the hotel but quit working with the hotel when the hotel checks began to bounce.

On a few occasions, the office staff did not come to work. When they did come to work, they arrived late and left early. The owners came to the property every night to party and were always intoxicated.

On the second night (Tuesday), we woke up early so we could hit the beach. Unfortunately, we discovered that the power and the water were not working in the hotel. We assumed the issue was island-wide because of the storm the previous night but that was not the case. The hotel next door had power. We went without power and water until 1 pm on Tuesday. As such, we could not shower and had no air conditioning that entire time.

On the fourth day (Thursday), we were laying in bed when we heard a pop and saw sparks fly from the walls and the ceiling fan. The sparks from the ceiling fan landed on my bed. Thankfully, the bed did not catch fire. We then saw a second set of sparks burst from the ceiling fan. Despite the fact that the owners and managers live on the property, we could not reach them to help us with the problem. Instead, the owner of the restaurant came to our room but he was unable to repair the ceiling fan. The ceiling fan did not work for the rest of the trip.

On the fifth night (Friday), the power went out again. The power was restored hours later. Friday evening, we discovered a roach in our room. Just when we didn't think it could get any worse, there were a series of power surges in the room that night. During the first power surge, the lamps and air conditioning went off and on. Then there was a surge in the other lamps and the TV. Three of the four lamps in the room and the air conditioning never worked again. When I approached the hotel owner about the ceiling fan, lamp and air conditioning, he denied being an owner even though the staff pointed him out as an owner and he previously identified himself as an owner to my friend. At first he refused to send someone to my room to fixed the ceiling fan, lamps and air conditioning. When I complained again, he sent the hotel manager who was unable to fix the problem and was unable to move us to another room, probably because (as we found out later) nine other rooms also lost use of their air conditioning.

On Saturday (sixth night), I repeatedly called the front office to get someone to fix the air conditioning. After three requests, they finally sent the maintenance man to our room but he was unable to fix the ceiling fan, lamps and air conditioning. We suffered Friday, Saturday and Sunday without air conditioning. We were forced to sleep with the bathroom window and patio door open for air. That did not do much to cool off the room and we woke up to discover several dozen moths and other bugs in our room.

We checked out on the seventh day (Sunday) at noon. We asked to speak the manager or the owners about compensation for the issues we had during our stay. We were informed by the hotel staff that we could not speak with them because they were probably still asleep. The staff member said she tried reaching them all day but they were not picking up the phone.

Room Tip: It makes no difference. Every room is old and dirty.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We returned to Hisbiscus after having stayed there in 2011. We knew not to expect a fancy resort especially for the low cost, but were disappointed to see the lack of upkeep at the hotel in general. As many others have noted, we encountered a power outage of about 7 hours while at the resort, so showers were not an option for us after a day of diving until they finally fixed their old generator. The shower leaked/dripped constantly and the toilet was covered in rust stains and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Our door to the patio had to be man handled to open since the tracks were warped and the handle was broken. We only ate at the restaurant once and neither of us felt well afterwards. It is ashame because we loved the food last time and spent many nights at the resort instead of returning downtown to eat. The location is very central and I recommend renting a car to explore the island. The view still can't be beat each morning though when you open the curtains to see the crystal blue waters. Given the downward trend, we will probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hibiscus Beach Resort in Christiansted, St. Croix for a week and our stay was quite pleasurable.

The staff was friendly.
The beach was great.
The rooms were clean and ready for us upon arrival.

Dining was exceptionally good! If you're going to have breakfast there, I do suggest you try the Coconut French Toast; it is out of this world!!!

We did have a tiny issue with a brief electrical outage, however, the staff did everything they could to make us comfortable.

We were only out of electricity for 45 minutes, which, I understand is not uncommon in the Virgin Islands.

All in all, it was a great and enjoyable experience.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

From the beginning...we booked a deal on Living Social really not knowing what to expect at all. After receiving comformation, I called Hibiscus Beach Resort and made the reservation. I was told I had a balance of around $60 that I would have to pay once I got there. When we arrived in St Croix we caught a taxi which was more like a van to the resort. It's was $20. This van taxi is not affiliated with the resort. We pulled up to the resort and everything looked calm and peaceful. We gave our names to the front desk (which is a sliding glass window and I don't see the issue with that as other reviews have mentioned). We were originally supposed to be in a oceanfront room on the ground floor but I asked could we get the oceanview room on the top upper level. Basically all the room face the ocean. We were places in room 12. It was dark and there were little tiny ants in the bed. I called the front desk to see if we could switch. The front desk said that we could check out the original room. The original room was worse. We stayed in room 12 then received a phone call from the front desk and was advised that they had another room we could check out. Room 23. It was perfect. No ants in the bed and it was bright. The front desk lady, I think her name was Rashema, even came with me to check out the room.

1st day-by the time we settled in completely there wasn't much sunlight left. We ate and went back to the room and slept because we were tired from our flight.
2nd day- we woke up early and went to the front desk to book a tour. Rashema told us that she would knock on our door when it was time. Jade and Junior took us on thee most fun amazing tour ever! These two were soooooooo much fun. I don't think I can stress this enough. They took us to The Chicken Stack for food, two different beaches, The Cruzan Rum factory (so much history and so much liquor), the Sugar Mill (once again so much history), Mt Pelliar Hut for the beer drinking pigs, Big Poppa' bar for Poppajuana shots. They provided us with Cruzan Confussion drinks the whole day and they were awesome!!! And we stopped at the 'twerking pole' and 'break dance tree'. After the tour we came back to the resort, we changed clothes and went back out with Jade and Junior again. At this time things were blurry. They took us to the boardwalk and 3 other places and we literally danced the night away. We had an instant connect with Jade and Junior.
3rd day- we used the 3rd day to recover from the day before. Because its low season Hibiscus doesn't serve breakfast so I grabbed breakfast from the resort down the beach from Hibiscus. It's walking distance if u walk along the beach. Later we are dinner at the bar on Hibiscus Beach Resort. There was a fire show at the resort. Two very talented ladies dance while twirling fire around their body. The Mosquitos tore my legs up that night! I didn't have any bug spray.
4th day-we really relaxed on this day. We were able to catch the football games on tv. There was a live band playing at the bar for dinner. They sung Anniversary to us because that's what we were celebrating. This was our last night at the resort.
Last day-the power and water to the whole resort went out about 5 am. It was off for a few hours. The room didn't get hot to me but my spouse said that he was hot but he is always hot so take it for what its worth. Once the power came back on we went to the beach for the last time. This was my first time seeing Junior since the tour and he offered to take us to the airport. I wasn't able to speak to the front desk to check out because it was closed for some reason. There's a key dropbox though. Junior took us, as promised, to the airport and on the way he explained a little bit more about the island. I really wish I could've gave him a tip but it didn't seem like he took us for that reason. Bless that man's heart.

Thoughts- Hibiscus Beach Resort is not for the picky. You really have to be down to earth, humble and open minded. If u want luxury go somewhere else. If want to be surrounded by some awesome people and can look around some of the issues Hibiscus is your place. I've been home and back to work for a little over a week and I swear I look at life differently now. Hibiscus and St. Croix as a whole has the potential to be a great tourist attraction if they had the necessary funding. I really believe in that place and I would come back just to see Junior and Jade again and to be surrounded by genuinely nice people.

• Stayed October 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The people were nice but the "resort" was outdated and dirty. The neighborhood was sketchy as well and it looked more like a motel than a resort. I purchased a week's worth stay at this resort through groupon but only ended up staying for one night. Why? Well, there were numerous other reasons. When we arrived, we found hair in the bathtub, two huge flying water bugs, and the beach was full of seaweed and dog feces. That same night we booked for another resort (a real one) and left the following morning. When we checked out we were not even asked why we decided to leave so soon. I guess they were used to it. Words of advice, Don't go there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon (Sept 9 - 16) with expectations in line with the reviews we had read on TA. We had a wonderful time, but we are extremely low maintenance, and we worked hard to make it a special trip (see below for tips on making it "special").

Value --
I've been to places that run $800-1000/night, and I've stayed in hostels -- I put my expectations in line with what I am paying for the most part. For what we paid, we think we had a pretty good value in staying at HBR. If we would have paid full price and not used the Groupon or whatever it was, it would not have been a good value. Then again, I never would have selected a place that had such mixed reviews if I were paying full price. Make sense?

Rooms/Resort --
Our room was clean and bug free. It seems like people's experiences vary according to what room they stay in. We stayed in Room 10 if that helps anyone else out.
We really only used the HBR as a sleep-station. There are so many places in St. Croix to explore that we did not spend much time on the resort. If we were the sort of people who wanted to spend the entire week at the resort, this would not be the place for us. I do not recommend this resort for a resort-centric kind of vacation.

Restaurant --
It was just okay. There are a lot better restaurants in town, but with the vouchers that came with the room, we ate dinner one night for $28 (yay) and then used the savings to live it up at Kendrick's for a fancy meal the next night.
Note - I do think the french toast is worth the raving reviews.

Service --
The ladies working behind the sliding glass window were the nicest people at the resort. We did not have any trouble with our room, so we did not have any experience to report re: asking for different accommodations or fixes in the room.

Tips for making St. Croix a special experience:
1. Rent a Jeep and take the top off immediately.
2. Do the Cruzan rum tour. It's is worth the $5.
3. Go to Sandy Point on the weekend (it is only open certain times/days).
4. Hike to Jack's Bay - beware there was a man living on the beach the day we went there.
5. Find the tidal pools - this is a 6 mile round trip hike. Time it so you can actually swim in the tidal pool. By the time we got to the pools, the tide was so far in that it was dangerous to try to swim out to them. Note - this is a $120 tour. We did it on our own to save money. We used the money we saved to do the snorkeling/Buck Island/Catamaran trip. See #6.
6. Take a tour to Buck Island.
7. Snorkel. We brought our own gear. Highly recommend. You can snorkel for free anywhere you want. I've been scuba diving in Fiji, Belize, and other Caribbean locations (not St. Croix), and I think that some of the snorkeling in St. Croix was better than some of the scuba diving I've done.
8. Try to find local food. We struggled with this part. Having been to other Caribbean islands, I was hoping to find whole fish, lots of roti, roadside stands, etc. I did not find options other than mahi, and there were no whole fish (this made no sense to me) to eat. Really, the island seemed full of upscale American-type restaurants. No beach shacks with roti or real island fish tacos. Confusing.
9. Be careful. I think my husband was slightly on edge the entire time, and never fully able to relax, because safety was on his mind the entire time. I would not say we were unsafe, but if I found out that one of my sisters was going to St. Croix, I would be worried about her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!