“VERY Pleasurable Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Miami, Florida
“VERY Pleasurable Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hibiscus Beach Resort in Christiansted, St. Croix for a week and our stay was quite pleasurable.

The staff was friendly.
The beach was great.
The rooms were clean and ready for us upon arrival.

Dining was exceptionally good! If you're going to have breakfast there, I do suggest you try the Coconut French Toast; it is out of this world!!!

We did have a tiny issue with a brief electrical outage, however, the staff did everything they could to make us comfortable.

We were only out of electricity for 45 minutes, which, I understand is not uncommon in the Virgin Islands.

All in all, it was a great and enjoyable experience.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

From the beginning...we booked a deal on Living Social really not knowing what to expect at all. After receiving comformation, I called Hibiscus Beach Resort and made the reservation. I was told I had a balance of around $60 that I would have to pay once I got there. When we arrived in St Croix we caught a taxi which was more like a van to the resort. It's was $20. This van taxi is not affiliated with the resort. We pulled up to the resort and everything looked calm and peaceful. We gave our names to the front desk (which is a sliding glass window and I don't see the issue with that as other reviews have mentioned). We were originally supposed to be in a oceanfront room on the ground floor but I asked could we get the oceanview room on the top upper level. Basically all the room face the ocean. We were places in room 12. It was dark and there were little tiny ants in the bed. I called the front desk to see if we could switch. The front desk said that we could check out the original room. The original room was worse. We stayed in room 12 then received a phone call from the front desk and was advised that they had another room we could check out. Room 23. It was perfect. No ants in the bed and it was bright. The front desk lady, I think her name was Rashema, even came with me to check out the room.

1st day-by the time we settled in completely there wasn't much sunlight left. We ate and went back to the room and slept because we were tired from our flight.
2nd day- we woke up early and went to the front desk to book a tour. Rashema told us that she would knock on our door when it was time. Jade and Junior took us on thee most fun amazing tour ever! These two were soooooooo much fun. I don't think I can stress this enough. They took us to The Chicken Stack for food, two different beaches, The Cruzan Rum factory (so much history and so much liquor), the Sugar Mill (once again so much history), Mt Pelliar Hut for the beer drinking pigs, Big Poppa' bar for Poppajuana shots. They provided us with Cruzan Confussion drinks the whole day and they were awesome!!! And we stopped at the 'twerking pole' and 'break dance tree'. After the tour we came back to the resort, we changed clothes and went back out with Jade and Junior again. At this time things were blurry. They took us to the boardwalk and 3 other places and we literally danced the night away. We had an instant connect with Jade and Junior.
3rd day- we used the 3rd day to recover from the day before. Because its low season Hibiscus doesn't serve breakfast so I grabbed breakfast from the resort down the beach from Hibiscus. It's walking distance if u walk along the beach. Later we are dinner at the bar on Hibiscus Beach Resort. There was a fire show at the resort. Two very talented ladies dance while twirling fire around their body. The Mosquitos tore my legs up that night! I didn't have any bug spray.
4th day-we really relaxed on this day. We were able to catch the football games on tv. There was a live band playing at the bar for dinner. They sung Anniversary to us because that's what we were celebrating. This was our last night at the resort.
Last day-the power and water to the whole resort went out about 5 am. It was off for a few hours. The room didn't get hot to me but my spouse said that he was hot but he is always hot so take it for what its worth. Once the power came back on we went to the beach for the last time. This was my first time seeing Junior since the tour and he offered to take us to the airport. I wasn't able to speak to the front desk to check out because it was closed for some reason. There's a key dropbox though. Junior took us, as promised, to the airport and on the way he explained a little bit more about the island. I really wish I could've gave him a tip but it didn't seem like he took us for that reason. Bless that man's heart.

Thoughts- Hibiscus Beach Resort is not for the picky. You really have to be down to earth, humble and open minded. If u want luxury go somewhere else. If want to be surrounded by some awesome people and can look around some of the issues Hibiscus is your place. I've been home and back to work for a little over a week and I swear I look at life differently now. Hibiscus and St. Croix as a whole has the potential to be a great tourist attraction if they had the necessary funding. I really believe in that place and I would come back just to see Junior and Jade again and to be surrounded by genuinely nice people.

• Stayed October 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The people were nice but the "resort" was outdated and dirty. The neighborhood was sketchy as well and it looked more like a motel than a resort. I purchased a week's worth stay at this resort through groupon but only ended up staying for one night. Why? Well, there were numerous other reasons. When we arrived, we found hair in the bathtub, two huge flying water bugs, and the beach was full of seaweed and dog feces. That same night we booked for another resort (a real one) and left the following morning. When we checked out we were not even asked why we decided to leave so soon. I guess they were used to it. Words of advice, Don't go there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon (Sept 9 - 16) with expectations in line with the reviews we had read on TA. We had a wonderful time, but we are extremely low maintenance, and we worked hard to make it a special trip (see below for tips on making it "special").

Value --
I've been to places that run $800-1000/night, and I've stayed in hostels -- I put my expectations in line with what I am paying for the most part. For what we paid, we think we had a pretty good value in staying at HBR. If we would have paid full price and not used the Groupon or whatever it was, it would not have been a good value. Then again, I never would have selected a place that had such mixed reviews if I were paying full price. Make sense?

Rooms/Resort --
Our room was clean and bug free. It seems like people's experiences vary according to what room they stay in. We stayed in Room 10 if that helps anyone else out.
We really only used the HBR as a sleep-station. There are so many places in St. Croix to explore that we did not spend much time on the resort. If we were the sort of people who wanted to spend the entire week at the resort, this would not be the place for us. I do not recommend this resort for a resort-centric kind of vacation.

Restaurant --
It was just okay. There are a lot better restaurants in town, but with the vouchers that came with the room, we ate dinner one night for $28 (yay) and then used the savings to live it up at Kendrick's for a fancy meal the next night.
Note - I do think the french toast is worth the raving reviews.

Service --
The ladies working behind the sliding glass window were the nicest people at the resort. We did not have any trouble with our room, so we did not have any experience to report re: asking for different accommodations or fixes in the room.

Tips for making St. Croix a special experience:
1. Rent a Jeep and take the top off immediately.
2. Do the Cruzan rum tour. It's is worth the $5.
3. Go to Sandy Point on the weekend (it is only open certain times/days).
4. Hike to Jack's Bay - beware there was a man living on the beach the day we went there.
5. Find the tidal pools - this is a 6 mile round trip hike. Time it so you can actually swim in the tidal pool. By the time we got to the pools, the tide was so far in that it was dangerous to try to swim out to them. Note - this is a $120 tour. We did it on our own to save money. We used the money we saved to do the snorkeling/Buck Island/Catamaran trip. See #6.
6. Take a tour to Buck Island.
7. Snorkel. We brought our own gear. Highly recommend. You can snorkel for free anywhere you want. I've been scuba diving in Fiji, Belize, and other Caribbean locations (not St. Croix), and I think that some of the snorkeling in St. Croix was better than some of the scuba diving I've done.
8. Try to find local food. We struggled with this part. Having been to other Caribbean islands, I was hoping to find whole fish, lots of roti, roadside stands, etc. I did not find options other than mahi, and there were no whole fish (this made no sense to me) to eat. Really, the island seemed full of upscale American-type restaurants. No beach shacks with roti or real island fish tacos. Confusing.
9. Be careful. I think my husband was slightly on edge the entire time, and never fully able to relax, because safety was on his mind the entire time. I would not say we were unsafe, but if I found out that one of my sisters was going to St. Croix, I would be worried about her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went to this "resort" because we found a good deal on Living Social. After looking at their website and Trip Advisor the place appeared great, but turned out not to be as nice as advertised.
Upon our arrival at Hibiscus, we pulled into a parking lot with a giant diesel generator and made our way to the sliding window "front desk". After checking in, we went to our room (room 35) that closely resembled a motel 6 room (no offense Motel 6). It also happened to be located right in front of the volleyball court/bar. Our sliding glass door was continually hit by volleyballs. Needless to say, we were not satisfied by the room location and preceded to the "front desk" to get a room change. Although the "resort" appeared vacant, they were only able to accommodate a room change for 3 of the 4 nights we stayed.
The view was good however...
Day1: air conditioner went out
Day2: air conditioner went out & Water to entire resort stopped working & stopped accepting food/beverage voucher that came with the reservation package we purchased.
Day 3: no water again & bar owner made strong advances toward my wife
Day 4: water was out again for entire resort, had to move back to our original room which included bed bugs and sand in the sheets. The "resort" bar had a huge block party that until 4am and kept us up the entire night. Our room shook and people were yelling at each other outside our room.

If you enjoy sleepless nights, bug ridden beds, no running water, block parties, and overall dingy accommodations then this is the place for you.

Look for other accommodations immediately.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cranston, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

For the price this is NOT the place to stay on St. Croix. It is right on the beach, but the rooms are run down, the beach chairs are falling apart, the restaurant is over priced and not good quality. I would say to look at other hotels, including the Carambola or Arawak Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My friend booked me a room here for one night in between travels. I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived at night to a sweetheart of a reception. The room was right on the beach and the a/c was cold. There was a reggae band playing in the bar/restaurant. It made for a nice end to a long day of sailing. The bed was super comfy. Very friendly checkout. Great hospitality and cute hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!