My husband and I went here on our honeymoon (Sept 9 - 16) with expectations in line with the reviews we had read on TA. We had a wonderful time, but we are extremely low maintenance, and we worked hard to make it a special trip (see below for tips on making it "special").
I've been to places that run $800-1000/night, and I've stayed in hostels -- I put my expectations in line with what I am paying for the most part. For what we paid, we think we had a pretty good value in staying at HBR. If we would have paid full price and not used the Groupon or whatever it was, it would not have been a good value. Then again, I never would have selected a place that had such mixed reviews if I were paying full price. Make sense?
Our room was clean and bug free. It seems like people's experiences vary according to what room they stay in. We stayed in Room 10 if that helps anyone else out.
We really only used the HBR as a sleep-station. There are so many places in St. Croix to explore that we did not spend much time on the resort. If we were the sort of people who wanted to spend the entire week at the resort, this would not be the place for us. I do not recommend this resort for a resort-centric kind of vacation.
It was just okay. There are a lot better restaurants in town, but with the vouchers that came with the room, we ate dinner one night for $28 (yay) and then used the savings to live it up at Kendrick's for a fancy meal the next night.
Note - I do think the french toast is worth the raving reviews.
The ladies working behind the sliding glass window were the nicest people at the resort. We did not have any trouble with our room, so we did not have any experience to report re: asking for different accommodations or fixes in the room.
Tips for making St. Croix a special experience:
1. Rent a Jeep and take the top off immediately.
2. Do the Cruzan rum tour. It's is worth the $5.
3. Go to Sandy Point on the weekend (it is only open certain times/days).
4. Hike to Jack's Bay - beware there was a man living on the beach the day we went there.
5. Find the tidal pools - this is a 6 mile round trip hike. Time it so you can actually swim in the tidal pool. By the time we got to the pools, the tide was so far in that it was dangerous to try to swim out to them. Note - this is a $120 tour. We did it on our own to save money. We used the money we saved to do the snorkeling/Buck Island/Catamaran trip. See #6.
6. Take a tour to Buck Island.
7. Snorkel. We brought our own gear. Highly recommend. You can snorkel for free anywhere you want. I've been scuba diving in Fiji, Belize, and other Caribbean locations (not St. Croix), and I think that some of the snorkeling in St. Croix was better than some of the scuba diving I've done.
8. Try to find local food. We struggled with this part. Having been to other Caribbean islands, I was hoping to find whole fish, lots of roti, roadside stands, etc. I did not find options other than mahi, and there were no whole fish (this made no sense to me) to eat. Really, the island seemed full of upscale American-type restaurants. No beach shacks with roti or real island fish tacos. Confusing.
9. Be careful. I think my husband was slightly on edge the entire time, and never fully able to relax, because safety was on his mind the entire time. I would not say we were unsafe, but if I found out that one of my sisters was going to St. Croix, I would be worried about her.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus Beach Resort is a casual and comfortable oceanfront boutique hotel comprised of 38 beachfront rooms in 6 freestanding buildings, set among lush native foliage and sweeping palms. Located on secluded and picturesque Pelican Cove Beach, just 3 miles from quaint historic downtown Christiansted and tourist shopping and just 15 minutes from the island’s main airport.Property amenities at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Freshwater Swimming Pool, Complimentary Pool and Beach Chaise Lounges, Complimentary Pool and Beach Towels, Complimentary Snorkel Equipment, Complimentary Wireless Internet, Beach Hammocks, Beach Volleyball, Daily Maid Service, Lending Library, Free Parking, On-site SecurityGuest Rooms at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan, Terrace or Balcony with lounge furniture, Bathroom amenities (shampoos, lotions), Iron/Ironing Board, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker with complimentary coffee, creamer and sugar, Alarm Clock, Telephone (most rooms), Cable TV, and also include a Mini-Fridge.Hibiscus Beach Resort is located in Christiansted, St Croix, approximately 8 miles or 15 minutes from the island’s main airport, and approximately 3 miles from the old historic and tourist district of Christiansted. The North shore proximity of Hibiscus Beach Resort just minutes from both the airport and downtown Christiansted provide easy access to island destinations. The Eastern-facing direction of our property also affords stunning island and coastal views, as well as the near-constant Caribbean trade winds. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel Christiansted
- Hotel Hibiscus Beach
- Hibiscus Beach Christiansted
- Hibiscus Beach Resort St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands