“Decent place - It is what you make it.” 3 of 5 stars

Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Baltimore, Maryland
“Decent place - It is what you make it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon (Sept 9 - 16) with expectations in line with the reviews we had read on TA. We had a wonderful time, but we are extremely low maintenance, and we worked hard to make it a special trip (see below for tips on making it "special").

Value --
I've been to places that run $800-1000/night, and I've stayed in hostels -- I put my expectations in line with what I am paying for the most part. For what we paid, we think we had a pretty good value in staying at HBR. If we would have paid full price and not used the Groupon or whatever it was, it would not have been a good value. Then again, I never would have selected a place that had such mixed reviews if I were paying full price. Make sense?

Rooms/Resort --
Our room was clean and bug free. It seems like people's experiences vary according to what room they stay in. We stayed in Room 10 if that helps anyone else out.
We really only used the HBR as a sleep-station. There are so many places in St. Croix to explore that we did not spend much time on the resort. If we were the sort of people who wanted to spend the entire week at the resort, this would not be the place for us. I do not recommend this resort for a resort-centric kind of vacation.

Restaurant --
It was just okay. There are a lot better restaurants in town, but with the vouchers that came with the room, we ate dinner one night for $28 (yay) and then used the savings to live it up at Kendrick's for a fancy meal the next night.
Note - I do think the french toast is worth the raving reviews.

Service --
The ladies working behind the sliding glass window were the nicest people at the resort. We did not have any trouble with our room, so we did not have any experience to report re: asking for different accommodations or fixes in the room.

Tips for making St. Croix a special experience:
1. Rent a Jeep and take the top off immediately.
2. Do the Cruzan rum tour. It's is worth the $5.
3. Go to Sandy Point on the weekend (it is only open certain times/days).
4. Hike to Jack's Bay - beware there was a man living on the beach the day we went there.
5. Find the tidal pools - this is a 6 mile round trip hike. Time it so you can actually swim in the tidal pool. By the time we got to the pools, the tide was so far in that it was dangerous to try to swim out to them. Note - this is a $120 tour. We did it on our own to save money. We used the money we saved to do the snorkeling/Buck Island/Catamaran trip. See #6.
6. Take a tour to Buck Island.
7. Snorkel. We brought our own gear. Highly recommend. You can snorkel for free anywhere you want. I've been scuba diving in Fiji, Belize, and other Caribbean locations (not St. Croix), and I think that some of the snorkeling in St. Croix was better than some of the scuba diving I've done.
8. Try to find local food. We struggled with this part. Having been to other Caribbean islands, I was hoping to find whole fish, lots of roti, roadside stands, etc. I did not find options other than mahi, and there were no whole fish (this made no sense to me) to eat. Really, the island seemed full of upscale American-type restaurants. No beach shacks with roti or real island fish tacos. Confusing.
9. Be careful. I think my husband was slightly on edge the entire time, and never fully able to relax, because safety was on his mind the entire time. I would not say we were unsafe, but if I found out that one of my sisters was going to St. Croix, I would be worried about her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went to this "resort" because we found a good deal on Living Social. After looking at their website and Trip Advisor the place appeared great, but turned out not to be as nice as advertised.
Upon our arrival at Hibiscus, we pulled into a parking lot with a giant diesel generator and made our way to the sliding window "front desk". After checking in, we went to our room (room 35) that closely resembled a motel 6 room (no offense Motel 6). It also happened to be located right in front of the volleyball court/bar. Our sliding glass door was continually hit by volleyballs. Needless to say, we were not satisfied by the room location and preceded to the "front desk" to get a room change. Although the "resort" appeared vacant, they were only able to accommodate a room change for 3 of the 4 nights we stayed.
The view was good however...
Day1: air conditioner went out
Day2: air conditioner went out & Water to entire resort stopped working & stopped accepting food/beverage voucher that came with the reservation package we purchased.
Day 3: no water again & bar owner made strong advances toward my wife
Day 4: water was out again for entire resort, had to move back to our original room which included bed bugs and sand in the sheets. The "resort" bar had a huge block party that until 4am and kept us up the entire night. Our room shook and people were yelling at each other outside our room.

If you enjoy sleepless nights, bug ridden beds, no running water, block parties, and overall dingy accommodations then this is the place for you.

Look for other accommodations immediately.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cranston, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

For the price this is NOT the place to stay on St. Croix. It is right on the beach, but the rooms are run down, the beach chairs are falling apart, the restaurant is over priced and not good quality. I would say to look at other hotels, including the Carambola or Arawak Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My friend booked me a room here for one night in between travels. I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived at night to a sweetheart of a reception. The room was right on the beach and the a/c was cold. There was a reggae band playing in the bar/restaurant. It made for a nice end to a long day of sailing. The bed was super comfy. Very friendly checkout. Great hospitality and cute hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? My bf and I are from NYC and decided to take a spontaneous trip to this resort due to the outrageously cheap price on Groupon. We had a blast! The staff treated us like family they were so accommodating and for the price the room bathroom and location was beyond what we could've ever imagined. For those of you who are snobby and looking for a 5 star luxury resort no you won't it find it here, but what you will find is a low key peaceful BEAUTIFUL resort nestled on a private with breathtaking views of the ocean and island. Shout out to Marsha, Danny, Mike, his name escapes me but he took my bf and I to the local sugar cane juice spot and the airport on our last day on the island with no hesitation . We had a wonderful time on that lovely island and You guys made our trip even more memorable and wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

One week stay that ended 9/20/13, one day early. My wife and I had great expectations, but after a couple of days, the problems began. A huge Generator in the parking lot which made constant noise, 24/7, broke down (more later), the water cut off when finishing up a shower, the water had little pressure, and we only used the "hot" water knob to get lukewarm water, if that.

The front office is a small building with sliding window service. That was a red flag. The first couple of days went okay; room was large and bed was comfortable-even the air conditioning was cool and comfortable. The next red flag was the bathroom that had rust stains, shower doors off-track (no track), and leaking shower nozzle. Towels had that sandpaper feel. Bathroom was woefully outdated.

We did not get the room we requested, even though the "resort" appeared empty. Our sliding door to the balcony had a rusty tract and required excessive strength to open.

By the third day, I had to report no hot water. Again, the water never warmed up, and showers were touch-&-go, something to which we didn't look forward. One night mid-week, the water totally shut off.

During the middle of the next night, the generator stopped working and power went off, most notably, the air conditioner. A few hours later, the power was partially restored but not adequate enough to power the "resort", and air conditioning remained off and outside lights brightened and dimmed due to inadequate electricity. It became a joke by this time, and we thought about leaving in the middle of the night.

Friday morning we made other accommodations for our last night on the island. No one should endure the issues we did, and my chance for relaxation was blown. We checked out first thing, and I obtained the property owner's name to forward some constructive criticism, to say the least.

Sorry so negative, but this is the literal truth as to our week in "paradise".

Room Tip: Couldn't choose own room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Chose this place because of a Groupon--great deal that worked out to $70 per night, off season in the middle of September. Office people very responsive to email questions prior to visit; room in decent enough shape for the kind of place it is, i.e. budget hotel right on the beach. Bed was comfy, tv worked fine, bathroom ok. The best part is that when you open your sliding door you walk right on to the beach. The open air beach bar is nice, but with a few caveats. The "free" rum punch drink that came with the Groupon was basically Hi-C with rum added. Don't bother. Otherwise, the Pina Coladas were great, but the bar was out of ginger beer so we could not get our favorite rum drink--Dark and Stormy's. The restaurant food is eh. The fish dinner was not very good, and they were out of the crab that was supposed to go on top of the fish. They offered to substitute a coconut curry sauce, but the chef just poured coconut cream on top--no curry. The server did apologize but we didn't eat dinner here again. It just wasn't worth the money.

The breakfast menu offered yogurt with granola, which I really wanted since the other options were high calorie, but they did not have it. Danny the manager was not apologetic, but when I appeared so disappointed he grudgingly offered to go get some, I guess at the grocery store up the road. I said, "no that's ok." He had to know we were there a few more nights, but still the next day, no yogurt or granola. I think he should have gone out a bought some so it was there the next day. I understand it was low season, but then take it off the menu if you don't have it. Danny was friendly and easy going, but maybe not all that interested in customer service. Oh, and the coffee is downright awful. If you like a good cup of coffee, I recommend bringing some instant Starbucks or whatever you like. There is hot water for tea so you can easily make your own instant coffee. They serve Maxwell House. Yuck.

As another reviewer noted, there is a place just down the beach if you are looking for a bar or restaurant that is a bit more upscale. We had a nice drink there, and some good appetizers. For local food, try Harvey's in town. Also for Bucks Island I highly recommend Capt. Heinz.

It think its totally worth it to stay at Hibiscus but eat at the other place, which is very expensive to stay at but has a very pleasant bar, especially if want a break from the bar-fly clientele at the Hibiscus bar. All in all, we really did like it and would probably stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!