“Motel at best...” 1 of 5 stars

4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
“Motel at best...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went to this "resort" because we found a good deal on Living Social. After looking at their website and Trip Advisor the place appeared great, but turned out not to be as nice as advertised.
Upon our arrival at Hibiscus, we pulled into a parking lot with a giant diesel generator and made our way to the sliding window "front desk". After checking in, we went to our room (room 35) that closely resembled a motel 6 room (no offense Motel 6). It also happened to be located right in front of the volleyball court/bar. Our sliding glass door was continually hit by volleyballs. Needless to say, we were not satisfied by the room location and preceded to the "front desk" to get a room change. Although the "resort" appeared vacant, they were only able to accommodate a room change for 3 of the 4 nights we stayed.
The view was good however...
Day1: air conditioner went out
Day2: air conditioner went out & Water to entire resort stopped working & stopped accepting food/beverage voucher that came with the reservation package we purchased.
Day 3: no water again & bar owner made strong advances toward my wife
Day 4: water was out again for entire resort, had to move back to our original room which included bed bugs and sand in the sheets. The "resort" bar had a huge block party that until 4am and kept us up the entire night. Our room shook and people were yelling at each other outside our room.

If you enjoy sleepless nights, bug ridden beds, no running water, block parties, and overall dingy accommodations then this is the place for you.

Look for other accommodations immediately.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cranston, RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

For the price this is NOT the place to stay on St. Croix. It is right on the beach, but the rooms are run down, the beach chairs are falling apart, the restaurant is over priced and not good quality. I would say to look at other hotels, including the Carambola or Arawak Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My friend booked me a room here for one night in between travels. I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. I arrived at night to a sweetheart of a reception. The room was right on the beach and the a/c was cold. There was a reggae band playing in the bar/restaurant. It made for a nice end to a long day of sailing. The bed was super comfy. Very friendly checkout. Great hospitality and cute hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? My bf and I are from NYC and decided to take a spontaneous trip to this resort due to the outrageously cheap price on Groupon. We had a blast! The staff treated us like family they were so accommodating and for the price the room bathroom and location was beyond what we could've ever imagined. For those of you who are snobby and looking for a 5 star luxury resort no you won't it find it here, but what you will find is a low key peaceful BEAUTIFUL resort nestled on a private with breathtaking views of the ocean and island. Shout out to Marsha, Danny, Mike, his name escapes me but he took my bf and I to the local sugar cane juice spot and the airport on our last day on the island with no hesitation . We had a wonderful time on that lovely island and You guys made our trip even more memorable and wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

One week stay that ended 9/20/13, one day early. My wife and I had great expectations, but after a couple of days, the problems began. A huge Generator in the parking lot which made constant noise, 24/7, broke down (more later), the water cut off when finishing up a shower, the water had little pressure, and we only used the "hot" water knob to get lukewarm water, if that.

The front office is a small building with sliding window service. That was a red flag. The first couple of days went okay; room was large and bed was comfortable-even the air conditioning was cool and comfortable. The next red flag was the bathroom that had rust stains, shower doors off-track (no track), and leaking shower nozzle. Towels had that sandpaper feel. Bathroom was woefully outdated.

We did not get the room we requested, even though the "resort" appeared empty. Our sliding door to the balcony had a rusty tract and required excessive strength to open.

By the third day, I had to report no hot water. Again, the water never warmed up, and showers were touch-&-go, something to which we didn't look forward. One night mid-week, the water totally shut off.

During the middle of the next night, the generator stopped working and power went off, most notably, the air conditioner. A few hours later, the power was partially restored but not adequate enough to power the "resort", and air conditioning remained off and outside lights brightened and dimmed due to inadequate electricity. It became a joke by this time, and we thought about leaving in the middle of the night.

Friday morning we made other accommodations for our last night on the island. No one should endure the issues we did, and my chance for relaxation was blown. We checked out first thing, and I obtained the property owner's name to forward some constructive criticism, to say the least.

Sorry so negative, but this is the literal truth as to our week in "paradise".

Room Tip: Couldn't choose own room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Chose this place because of a Groupon--great deal that worked out to $70 per night, off season in the middle of September. Office people very responsive to email questions prior to visit; room in decent enough shape for the kind of place it is, i.e. budget hotel right on the beach. Bed was comfy, tv worked fine, bathroom ok. The best part is that when you open your sliding door you walk right on to the beach. The open air beach bar is nice, but with a few caveats. The "free" rum punch drink that came with the Groupon was basically Hi-C with rum added. Don't bother. Otherwise, the Pina Coladas were great, but the bar was out of ginger beer so we could not get our favorite rum drink--Dark and Stormy's. The restaurant food is eh. The fish dinner was not very good, and they were out of the crab that was supposed to go on top of the fish. They offered to substitute a coconut curry sauce, but the chef just poured coconut cream on top--no curry. The server did apologize but we didn't eat dinner here again. It just wasn't worth the money.

The breakfast menu offered yogurt with granola, which I really wanted since the other options were high calorie, but they did not have it. Danny the manager was not apologetic, but when I appeared so disappointed he grudgingly offered to go get some, I guess at the grocery store up the road. I said, "no that's ok." He had to know we were there a few more nights, but still the next day, no yogurt or granola. I think he should have gone out a bought some so it was there the next day. I understand it was low season, but then take it off the menu if you don't have it. Danny was friendly and easy going, but maybe not all that interested in customer service. Oh, and the coffee is downright awful. If you like a good cup of coffee, I recommend bringing some instant Starbucks or whatever you like. There is hot water for tea so you can easily make your own instant coffee. They serve Maxwell House. Yuck.

As another reviewer noted, there is a place just down the beach if you are looking for a bar or restaurant that is a bit more upscale. We had a nice drink there, and some good appetizers. For local food, try Harvey's in town. Also for Bucks Island I highly recommend Capt. Heinz.

It think its totally worth it to stay at Hibiscus but eat at the other place, which is very expensive to stay at but has a very pleasant bar, especially if want a break from the bar-fly clientele at the Hibiscus bar. All in all, we really did like it and would probably stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First, let me say that I love this place. This 8-day visit was my second; the first was a 5-day visit in April 2013). Obviously, I liked it enough to return. While some things remained the same, others were different. I am going to be completely honest and not let my feelings for the staff cloud this review.

The staff continues to excel at making you feel like a part of a family. Shouts out to Danny and Mike at the bar, Doris and Toni in the restaurant, Rashima, Keshia, and Mark in the office, and owners John Sr. & Jr. and Jack. Oh, and also to the 2 well-mannered resident dogs: Stoli and Deuce.

The bar, open air and on the beach, is the best feature of the property. Drinks are delicious and inexpensive, which might be the reason this bar is frequented by daily regulars. The same can’t be said for the food which declined since my last visit. I realize that September is slow season, but the hotel was almost full and the menu (and the evening entertainment) should have reflected that. Breakfast was okay but the dinner specials remained the same for 5 days in a row. Crab cakes that showed up on the first night ended up 5 days later on top of fish. A lunch buffet was added to draw in locals and it was better than the more expensive dinners. The chicken with a choice of 4 sauces was good, but I stayed away from the sliced beef which was gray. It showed up 2 days later as beef stroganoff. Sadly, my best meals were at a competing restaurant steps down the beach.

The rooms are large and the beds are superb and make for a very comfortable night of rest. The furniture is in good condition. The ac works and there are ceiling fans (albeit, in serious need of dusting). The bathrooms could use updating, but water pressure is good and after all, you are not there for the bathrooms. I had 2 different rooms (neither one was what I requested or promised): the 1st night was in room 12; the 2nd night in room 18. I would not want to stay in either room again. I requested an upstairs room on the corner. Room 12 was upstairs but it was a middle room with 2 beds instead of 1 bed and a nice easy chair. It was infested with gnats which swarmed the lights and covered the bed. I live in Florida so I am aware that you get bugs near the beach – no problem. But this was an infestation, not just a few bugs. I was not taken seriously when I first explained the situation and had to ask to be moved to another room. Room 18 was a nice room, but it was ground level and if you were sitting on the patio, your eye-level view was plants, not the ocean. For the most part, the rooms are reasonably clean, but housekeeping does a sloppy job, cleaning the middle of the room but not the edges or behind trash cans. Lamp shades are crooked, light bulbs loose, batteries in remotes are corroded, fan blades filthy, shower doors cloudy, and patio doors rusty and difficult to open. These are small individual problems that could easily be solved with a little elbow grease, bleach, and WD40. Oh: about the phones: the one in room 12 didn’t work and there was no phone in room 18.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!