First, let me say that I love this place. This 8-day visit was my second; the first was a 5-day visit in April 2013). Obviously, I liked it enough to return. While some things remained the same, others were different. I am going to be completely honest and not let my feelings for the staff cloud this review.
The staff continues to excel at making you feel like a part of a family. Shouts out to Danny and Mike at the bar, Doris and Toni in the restaurant, Rashima, Keshia, and Mark in the office, and owners John Sr. & Jr. and Jack. Oh, and also to the 2 well-mannered resident dogs: Stoli and Deuce.
The bar, open air and on the beach, is the best feature of the property. Drinks are delicious and inexpensive, which might be the reason this bar is frequented by daily regulars. The same can’t be said for the food which declined since my last visit. I realize that September is slow season, but the hotel was almost full and the menu (and the evening entertainment) should have reflected that. Breakfast was okay but the dinner specials remained the same for 5 days in a row. Crab cakes that showed up on the first night ended up 5 days later on top of fish. A lunch buffet was added to draw in locals and it was better than the more expensive dinners. The chicken with a choice of 4 sauces was good, but I stayed away from the sliced beef which was gray. It showed up 2 days later as beef stroganoff. Sadly, my best meals were at a competing restaurant steps down the beach.
The rooms are large and the beds are superb and make for a very comfortable night of rest. The furniture is in good condition. The ac works and there are ceiling fans (albeit, in serious need of dusting). The bathrooms could use updating, but water pressure is good and after all, you are not there for the bathrooms. I had 2 different rooms (neither one was what I requested or promised): the 1st night was in room 12; the 2nd night in room 18. I would not want to stay in either room again. I requested an upstairs room on the corner. Room 12 was upstairs but it was a middle room with 2 beds instead of 1 bed and a nice easy chair. It was infested with gnats which swarmed the lights and covered the bed. I live in Florida so I am aware that you get bugs near the beach – no problem. But this was an infestation, not just a few bugs. I was not taken seriously when I first explained the situation and had to ask to be moved to another room. Room 18 was a nice room, but it was ground level and if you were sitting on the patio, your eye-level view was plants, not the ocean. For the most part, the rooms are reasonably clean, but housekeeping does a sloppy job, cleaning the middle of the room but not the edges or behind trash cans. Lamp shades are crooked, light bulbs loose, batteries in remotes are corroded, fan blades filthy, shower doors cloudy, and patio doors rusty and difficult to open. These are small individual problems that could easily be solved with a little elbow grease, bleach, and WD40. Oh: about the phones: the one in room 12 didn’t work and there was no phone in room 18.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus Beach Resort is a casual and comfortable oceanfront boutique hotel comprised of 38 beachfront rooms in 6 freestanding buildings, set among lush native foliage and sweeping palms. Located on secluded and picturesque Pelican Cove Beach, just 3 miles from quaint historic downtown Christiansted and tourist shopping and just 15 minutes from the island’s main airport.Property amenities at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Freshwater Swimming Pool, Complimentary Pool and Beach Chaise Lounges, Complimentary Pool and Beach Towels, Complimentary Snorkel Equipment, Complimentary Wireless Internet, Beach Hammocks, Beach Volleyball, Daily Maid Service, Lending Library, Free Parking, On-site SecurityGuest Rooms at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan, Terrace or Balcony with lounge furniture, Bathroom amenities (shampoos, lotions), Iron/Ironing Board, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker with complimentary coffee, creamer and sugar, Alarm Clock, Telephone (most rooms), Cable TV, and also include a Mini-Fridge.Hibiscus Beach Resort is located in Christiansted, St Croix, approximately 8 miles or 15 minutes from the island’s main airport, and approximately 3 miles from the old historic and tourist district of Christiansted. The North shore proximity of Hibiscus Beach Resort just minutes from both the airport and downtown Christiansted provide easy access to island destinations. The Eastern-facing direction of our property also affords stunning island and coastal views, as well as the near-constant Caribbean trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Despegar.com so you can book your Hibiscus Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel Christiansted
- Hotel Hibiscus Beach
- Hibiscus Beach Christiansted
- Hibiscus Beach Resort St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands