“It's the Caribbean people!!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hibiscus Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
“It's the Caribbean people!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from the hibiscus beach resort and had a wonderful time. I decided to search the resort and see what people had to say about it just for the fun of it. Most were decent reviews but I always laugh at the poor reviews.

For us, and we travel throughout the Caribbean a lot, this place was perfect and exactly what we expect when we are in the Caribbean. We've always said that the people who stay at high class resorts are missing the entire island feel of the particular island. The only reason you are at the resort should be to sleep!! The rest of the time should be spent out enjoying the island!!! As long as the resort makes us feel safe and the room is clean. What more can you ask for? YOUR IN PARADISE!!

Overall our stay was great and the staff was very friendly and accommodating, if we had liked St. Croix more we would definitely come back to the Hibiscus

Erik and Amy

• Stayed April 2013
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. The islands of the Caribbean are all unique unto themselves, and even I find some more in tune with my ideal of a Caribbean island than others. Our sister island to the North, St Thomas, as an example, is very charming and colorful, but also very crowded and touristy. Some people like the energy of that type of destination, while others find our less crowded island of St Croix to be more of what they are looking for. It’s different for everyone, and I’m glad that if you would have chosen to return to St Croix that you would have stayed with us again.

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Glenpool, Oklahoma, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Definitely not for you if you are looking for a plush resort. However, the view can NOT be beat. Nothing better than 2 steps from my sliding glass door to white sand. The bathroom in #7 could use some updating but overall, it was a nice, clean room. The staff is great! We went just after high season so they were doing some maintenance (painting, clean up, landscaping) but the workers are happy to visit with you while taking a break. It is on 'Island Time' so they aren't working early or late or loudly! It was nice to have a restaurant on site and another next door at the Palms. My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and enjoyed just sitting on the beach for a few days!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary – we’re so very pleased that you chose to stay with us during your celebration. I’m glad that it seems that it was just what you were looking for. We are indeed completing some renovations, as time permits. The buildings on site are in the process of an exterior painting – a deep rust color with creamy trim as a change of pace from our traditional Caribbean colors. Also working on other aspects as well, but as you mentioned, in as unobtrusively a manner as possible, so that guests are basically unaffected by the daily progress. I’m glad that you felt the stay was a good value to you. Thanks again.
Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you can get past 3 things; the seaweed on the beach (just walk over it), a worn looking shower & slow breakfast service 1 of the days we were here then you're good to go!
Our sliding door opens right onto the beach along w a perfect view of Buck Island.
The room is clean & the staff is nice.
The 6 days that we've been here safety hasn't been an issue, we walked the beach late @ night & never thought twice about it.
The coconut french toast-a must have!
Like previous reviews, if you're looking for luxury accommodations then this isn't your place. If you're looking for value & good accommodations-then look no further.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other guests. I’m pleased to know that it was worth every penny to you. Travel these days is not inexpensive and many people (including myself) save up for extended periods for their vacations, so it’s nice to hear when someone feels like they got what they paid for. We always try to have some type of special or discount in place to help with travel costs, and it is our hope that travelers see us as an affordable, “beach-on-a-budget” type destination. Thanks again, and thanks for the photos as well.
South Windsor, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Get over being a snobby tourist. If you want granite bathrooms and contemporary furniture stay some place else. You aren't going to get a better value for your money, especially with the view of the ocean. The salt air ages everything fast. Get over it and enjoy your vacation. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and that is really what you want. Get out of the room and experience all that St. Croix has to offer. If you want to complain about something, complain about the narrow roads with poor signage. If you stay here or any place else, rent a car. Public transportation is not the way to go and taxis will end up costing you a fortune.

Room Tip: Room 3 was perfect. Away from bar but wonderful view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that your experience was a positive one and that your stay was enjoyable. We tend to use the slogan “Beach on a Budget”, and we hope that by using that, it provides travelers with an expectation of the type of property we are. We are a mid-size, mid-grade property for budget-minded travelers who want to be on a beautiful beach with stunning views and are not necessarily interested in the luxuries that come with costly room prices at larger, more expensive resorts.

Our staff is down-to-earth and personable and is very accommodating, so I appreciate your comments reiterating that. And yes, if a traveler feels comfortable driving on the left and navigating our roads, it’s always recommended to rent a car and get out and explore the island and all it has to offer. Thanks again.
New London, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Hibiscus in April-May 2012 and, one year later, still say it was GREAT!

We are light packers who want to experience the native CHARACTER of where we are on each trip. Hibiscus definitely represented the overall vibe of St Croix: everyone at the hotel, from the reservationist to the maintenance man to the owners, were FRIENDLY.
The rooms were basic, but certainly CLEAN and had more amenities than needed or expected for a beach vacation.
We ate breakfast at H2O every morning -- the continental was substantial, COCONUT french toast off the menu was absolutely yummy (and, if we happened to eat at the same time as the owner, he shared his own fresh fruit from the farmer's market. such a treat!).

We rented a small car and explored the entire island, jumping in to test the waters here and there (as all of the beach in St Croix is public access). Jake's Bay was hands-down the greatest place on earth. But snorkeling right in front of the hotel was great too (clear and diverse!) You can easily spend a full day walking (to the right), swimming, and snorkeling without leaving the hotel.

To get to the resort you do have to drive into a neighborhood (one small street), which may be out of your comfort zone and make you feel nervous. But it is a lovely neighborhood -- a school with a community mural I wish I had photographed, a few islandesque homes that are small, quiet, and well-kempt, and a brand new gas station -- it is SAFE. And yes, there was some seaweed...at the BEACH! And yes, there was some wind...at the BEACH!

If you are looking to experience St Croix -- go outside and explore, soak up the sun, relax on the porch or in the hammock between the palm trees -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you want to stay inside, go to McDonald's, play golf, have the same vacation everywhere you go, please don't stay here and then blame your experience on the resort. We truly had a amazing, fabulous vacation. Our only regret is that we couldn't stay three more days!

PS: FYI, I checked 5 stars for room service, but there isn't room service; that was an error and there isn't a way to uncheck it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. You have offered a unique perspective that future possible travelers will find informative and helpful. We are glad that you have become one of our many annual return guests. We appreciate you! Smiles and thanks from sunny St Croix.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently traveled to St. Croix alone and stayed at the Hibiscus. I should mention that I live in New York, so I would probably stay anywhere that has warm weather and a beautiful beach. Based on some of the reviews here, I was expecting a total dump. Not the case!

I found Hibiscus through a Living Social deal and after taxes, my room came to $87 per night, which is basically the same cost as a motel room. My room was big, airy and clean. I'll admit, they could do some work on the bathrooms and my balcony door sucked. I never saw any bugs in my room and I had ZERO issues with hot water and/or plumbing. I guess they could put some money into the rooms, but I have a feeling that the cost of staying there would go up. Regardless, the room really didn't matter much to me; I just wanted to lay out in the sun and enjoy the beach.

Facilities aside, the best thing about this hotel is the people. I was there for four nights, and during that time I met a ton of locals (young, old and in between) and spent a good amount of time actually hanging out at some of the local spots. The owner went out of his way to make sure I met some great people, and that is definitely not something that you are going to get at an all-inclusive overpriced hotel.

I also think it is important to give the island some context. St. Croix has fallen on some rough times (the refinery closing has left a ton of people unemployed) and right now it has limited resources. If you go, you have to set expectations realistically, or you'll be disappointed. If you want shopping and fancy dinners, go to St. Thomas. But If you want to lay in the sun, drink strong cheap drinks and meet some awesome people, then come here. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, and I should mention Taco Tuesdays. Live jazz band, $10 all you can eat tacos and a packed bar.

Granted, I'm easy to please on vacation, so I may not be as picky as other reviewers. I'm also really talkative and outgoing, so staying somewhere like the Hibiscus was a perfect fit for me. If you are looking for a fancy all-inclusive resort, you should stay somewhere else. But if you want to stay somewhere where they make you feel like family, then this is the place to go.

I hope I'll be back soon to visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I’m glad that your stay with us could be characterized as Great Value and Good Fun. That’s what we wish for all our guests, to feel that the stay is a value for the money that is spent, and that a fun and enjoyable experience is had by all. Thank you for sharing your experience and we are glad to know that you will be back soon. Smiles and thanks from sunny St Croix, Marc
Ft Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I read all the reviews when I booked our anniversary trip to St Croix, and being familiar with the islands was looking forward to stating at the Hibiscus. If you are looking for a Ritz, or a any large chain type of accommodations this is not the place for you! My husband and I had the Jasmine building room 7, and loved it!!! The room was spacious and immaculate, the view incredible, the bathroom was a little small and outdated but we didn't care (we knew about it from previous reviews).
Everyone at the resort was fun, friendly, and helpful! Dan and Michelle at the bar were AWESOME!!! Rashima at the front desk, beautiful, sweet, friendly, we loved her!!! Jack one of the owner is a great guy and told us about the rennovations under way. The food at the resort was very good as well!
The beach is beautiful!!! There is some sea grass but they make every effort to clean it up every day. Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room spotless!!
Come for the beach, the amazing people there, and just to relax and have some fun! We can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Jasmine building was the best view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your stay at Hibiscus Beach Resort. I’m glad that you found your visit to be relaxing. As you could see while here, we are in the process (which actually never ends in “the islands”) of renovations, painting, sprucing up, etc. Alas, things take time down here and the process sometimes seems as slow as a turtle crossing the road (or in our case, a turtle coming onto the beach to lay eggs!) I’m glad to know that you can’t wait to return.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!