“It's better than a Motel 6 not a Ritz Carlton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hibiscus Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Hibiscus Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hibiscus Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
South Windsor, Connecticut
“It's better than a Motel 6 not a Ritz Carlton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Get over being a snobby tourist. If you want granite bathrooms and contemporary furniture stay some place else. You aren't going to get a better value for your money, especially with the view of the ocean. The salt air ages everything fast. Get over it and enjoy your vacation. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and that is really what you want. Get out of the room and experience all that St. Croix has to offer. If you want to complain about something, complain about the narrow roads with poor signage. If you stay here or any place else, rent a car. Public transportation is not the way to go and taxis will end up costing you a fortune.

Room Tip: Room 3 was perfect. Away from bar but wonderful view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that your experience was a positive one and that your stay was enjoyable. We tend to use the slogan “Beach on a Budget”, and we hope that by using that, it provides travelers with an expectation of the type of property we are. We are a mid-size, mid-grade property for budget-minded travelers who want to be on a beautiful beach with stunning views and are not necessarily interested in the luxuries that come with costly room prices at larger, more expensive resorts.

Our staff is down-to-earth and personable and is very accommodating, so I appreciate your comments reiterating that. And yes, if a traveler feels comfortable driving on the left and navigating our roads, it’s always recommended to rent a car and get out and explore the island and all it has to offer. Thanks again.

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New London, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Hibiscus in April-May 2012 and, one year later, still say it was GREAT!

We are light packers who want to experience the native CHARACTER of where we are on each trip. Hibiscus definitely represented the overall vibe of St Croix: everyone at the hotel, from the reservationist to the maintenance man to the owners, were FRIENDLY.
The rooms were basic, but certainly CLEAN and had more amenities than needed or expected for a beach vacation.
We ate breakfast at H2O every morning -- the continental was substantial, COCONUT french toast off the menu was absolutely yummy (and, if we happened to eat at the same time as the owner, he shared his own fresh fruit from the farmer's market. such a treat!).

We rented a small car and explored the entire island, jumping in to test the waters here and there (as all of the beach in St Croix is public access). Jake's Bay was hands-down the greatest place on earth. But snorkeling right in front of the hotel was great too (clear and diverse!) You can easily spend a full day walking (to the right), swimming, and snorkeling without leaving the hotel.

To get to the resort you do have to drive into a neighborhood (one small street), which may be out of your comfort zone and make you feel nervous. But it is a lovely neighborhood -- a school with a community mural I wish I had photographed, a few islandesque homes that are small, quiet, and well-kempt, and a brand new gas station -- it is SAFE. And yes, there was some seaweed...at the BEACH! And yes, there was some wind...at the BEACH!

If you are looking to experience St Croix -- go outside and explore, soak up the sun, relax on the porch or in the hammock between the palm trees -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you want to stay inside, go to McDonald's, play golf, have the same vacation everywhere you go, please don't stay here and then blame your experience on the resort. We truly had a amazing, fabulous vacation. Our only regret is that we couldn't stay three more days!

PS: FYI, I checked 5 stars for room service, but there isn't room service; that was an error and there isn't a way to uncheck it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. You have offered a unique perspective that future possible travelers will find informative and helpful. We are glad that you have become one of our many annual return guests. We appreciate you! Smiles and thanks from sunny St Croix.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently traveled to St. Croix alone and stayed at the Hibiscus. I should mention that I live in New York, so I would probably stay anywhere that has warm weather and a beautiful beach. Based on some of the reviews here, I was expecting a total dump. Not the case!

I found Hibiscus through a Living Social deal and after taxes, my room came to $87 per night, which is basically the same cost as a motel room. My room was big, airy and clean. I'll admit, they could do some work on the bathrooms and my balcony door sucked. I never saw any bugs in my room and I had ZERO issues with hot water and/or plumbing. I guess they could put some money into the rooms, but I have a feeling that the cost of staying there would go up. Regardless, the room really didn't matter much to me; I just wanted to lay out in the sun and enjoy the beach.

Facilities aside, the best thing about this hotel is the people. I was there for four nights, and during that time I met a ton of locals (young, old and in between) and spent a good amount of time actually hanging out at some of the local spots. The owner went out of his way to make sure I met some great people, and that is definitely not something that you are going to get at an all-inclusive overpriced hotel.

I also think it is important to give the island some context. St. Croix has fallen on some rough times (the refinery closing has left a ton of people unemployed) and right now it has limited resources. If you go, you have to set expectations realistically, or you'll be disappointed. If you want shopping and fancy dinners, go to St. Thomas. But If you want to lay in the sun, drink strong cheap drinks and meet some awesome people, then come here. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, and I should mention Taco Tuesdays. Live jazz band, $10 all you can eat tacos and a packed bar.

Granted, I'm easy to please on vacation, so I may not be as picky as other reviewers. I'm also really talkative and outgoing, so staying somewhere like the Hibiscus was a perfect fit for me. If you are looking for a fancy all-inclusive resort, you should stay somewhere else. But if you want to stay somewhere where they make you feel like family, then this is the place to go.

I hope I'll be back soon to visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I’m glad that your stay with us could be characterized as Great Value and Good Fun. That’s what we wish for all our guests, to feel that the stay is a value for the money that is spent, and that a fun and enjoyable experience is had by all. Thank you for sharing your experience and we are glad to know that you will be back soon. Smiles and thanks from sunny St Croix, Marc
Ft Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I read all the reviews when I booked our anniversary trip to St Croix, and being familiar with the islands was looking forward to stating at the Hibiscus. If you are looking for a Ritz, or a any large chain type of accommodations this is not the place for you! My husband and I had the Jasmine building room 7, and loved it!!! The room was spacious and immaculate, the view incredible, the bathroom was a little small and outdated but we didn't care (we knew about it from previous reviews).
Everyone at the resort was fun, friendly, and helpful! Dan and Michelle at the bar were AWESOME!!! Rashima at the front desk, beautiful, sweet, friendly, we loved her!!! Jack one of the owner is a great guy and told us about the rennovations under way. The food at the resort was very good as well!
The beach is beautiful!!! There is some sea grass but they make every effort to clean it up every day. Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room spotless!!
Come for the beach, the amazing people there, and just to relax and have some fun! We can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Jasmine building was the best view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your stay at Hibiscus Beach Resort. I’m glad that you found your visit to be relaxing. As you could see while here, we are in the process (which actually never ends in “the islands”) of renovations, painting, sprucing up, etc. Alas, things take time down here and the process sometimes seems as slow as a turtle crossing the road (or in our case, a turtle coming onto the beach to lay eggs!) I’m glad to know that you can’t wait to return.
Joplin, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel(not a real resort) has a great beach and a wonderful view! So it is a real shame that the current owner has let this place slip into a slum hotel. When I booked this room I asked for the best room with the best view in the place. If this was the best, I don't even want to see the rest. Also we were suppose to get a coupon/voucher for $10 towards breakfast every morning. When we checked in they claimed that that was just a groupon and it had expired. But it was still on their website. This amounted to a lot of money considering that breakfast was $12 for three burnt pancakes (Juice and coffee was another$6) and terrible service. The bathroom shower was full of mold & mildew in the grout. The toilet was stained beyond cleaning and it ran almost constantly! If the sound of the surf hadn't drown out this noise I would have to have moved to another hotel and eaten the cost. Which wasn't cheep. The glass in the bathroom window was also broken, the faucet was so corroded with lime that it took 10 minutes to run a sink full of water. There was a large hole for a drain in the shower and the strainer was just laid on top so it moved every time you stepped on it. (dangerous for kids & older people) All of the furniture and lamps were beat up and chipped. The ottoman was ripped. the chair was dirty. The sliding glass door would not lock, you had to insert an old broom handle behind the door as a means of security. The lock on the entry door wouldn't work half of the time and it stuck the rest of the time. The mini fridge had noise all day and night. We could see daylight through the roof and it was covered by a tarp. (all of the roofs were) The roof top banged in the wind to keep time with the fridge noises and the running of the toilet. And if that wasn't enough to keep you from sleeping there was a security light hanging limply from a tree and it shined in the window all night. The internet did not work anywhere but in the cafe/bar area. And it was super slow there. Also on the list of not working was the coffee maker, ice machine and several plug-ins in the room. I am sure the manager will respond with a reply that claims he was unaware of these things, but in truth the ice truck delivered ice to the bar & cafe twice a week. And the girls in the office admitted that the breakfast "deal" was over a long time ago. It was removed from the website the next day when I complained, but nothing was done to provide any kind of breakfast, so I did not bother to complain further.

Room Tip: All rooms were awful and noisy on the weekends.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
My goodness, ALL THIS, and yet you stayed an entire TWELVE DAYS with us??
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for a long weekend in February & loved this resort! It's no Four Seasons, but we were very happy with our overall experience. The room was awesome - it was pretty big, clean, had HBO, had a nice balcony, and was RIGHT on the beach with a gorgeous view of the Caribbean. The whole resort is so cute & comfortable - hammocks hanging in between palm trees, a volley ball court, a nice pool, and an adorable restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful if we had any questions about the island. If you ever need a taxi, call Big John- he's the best! I highly recommend going to Hibiscus!

Room Tip: Room 12 was wonderful
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your recommendation of our property.
Easthampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First I have to say that I absolutely loved the view from our room, ground floor right to the beach! The resort is a little run down but it didn't bother us we weren't looking for the four seasons! The room we got was kept very clean and smelled good, the bathroom is out dated but functioned for its purpose. We got a king size bed which was very comfortable even had extra pillows and blanket in the closet. There was a mini fridge and coffee pot for our convenience. House cleaning came daily and did a great job while we were out exploring the Island. The restaurant at the resort was cool half open with full bar and live music some nights. The food was very good we had breakfast one day and diner another night. The beach was not the cleanest due to a lot of seaweed from the ocean but the effort was made daily, they had someone out there cleaning it all day. You can't really swim right in front of resort due to so much seaweed in the water but a few steps down the side the water is much clearer and swimming was possible. We had read some reviews about ants and bugs but did not see even one while we stayed here. We did have no water one morning for about half hour and when I asked about it at the front desk they were very apologetic about the issue and were working to repair the issue. We enjoyed our stay here at Hibiscus and would come back anytime, our stay was good had no major issues with anything. The staff was friendly the atmosphere was so relaxing can't ask for more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad it worked for you and that you would consider a return visit.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!