“One Year Later...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
New London, Connecticut
“One Year Later...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Hibiscus in April-May 2012 and, one year later, still say it was GREAT!

We are light packers who want to experience the native CHARACTER of where we are on each trip. Hibiscus definitely represented the overall vibe of St Croix: everyone at the hotel, from the reservationist to the maintenance man to the owners, were FRIENDLY.
The rooms were basic, but certainly CLEAN and had more amenities than needed or expected for a beach vacation.
We ate breakfast at H2O every morning -- the continental was substantial, COCONUT french toast off the menu was absolutely yummy (and, if we happened to eat at the same time as the owner, he shared his own fresh fruit from the farmer's market. such a treat!).

We rented a small car and explored the entire island, jumping in to test the waters here and there (as all of the beach in St Croix is public access). Jake's Bay was hands-down the greatest place on earth. But snorkeling right in front of the hotel was great too (clear and diverse!) You can easily spend a full day walking (to the right), swimming, and snorkeling without leaving the hotel.

To get to the resort you do have to drive into a neighborhood (one small street), which may be out of your comfort zone and make you feel nervous. But it is a lovely neighborhood -- a school with a community mural I wish I had photographed, a few islandesque homes that are small, quiet, and well-kempt, and a brand new gas station -- it is SAFE. And yes, there was some seaweed...at the BEACH! And yes, there was some wind...at the BEACH!

If you are looking to experience St Croix -- go outside and explore, soak up the sun, relax on the porch or in the hammock between the palm trees -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you want to stay inside, go to McDonald's, play golf, have the same vacation everywhere you go, please don't stay here and then blame your experience on the resort. We truly had a amazing, fabulous vacation. Our only regret is that we couldn't stay three more days!

PS: FYI, I checked 5 stars for room service, but there isn't room service; that was an error and there isn't a way to uncheck it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. You have offered a unique perspective that future possible travelers will find informative and helpful. We are glad that you have become one of our many annual return guests. We appreciate you! Smiles and thanks from sunny St Croix.

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently traveled to St. Croix alone and stayed at the Hibiscus. I should mention that I live in New York, so I would probably stay anywhere that has warm weather and a beautiful beach. Based on some of the reviews here, I was expecting a total dump. Not the case!

I found Hibiscus through a Living Social deal and after taxes, my room came to $87 per night, which is basically the same cost as a motel room. My room was big, airy and clean. I'll admit, they could do some work on the bathrooms and my balcony door sucked. I never saw any bugs in my room and I had ZERO issues with hot water and/or plumbing. I guess they could put some money into the rooms, but I have a feeling that the cost of staying there would go up. Regardless, the room really didn't matter much to me; I just wanted to lay out in the sun and enjoy the beach.

Facilities aside, the best thing about this hotel is the people. I was there for four nights, and during that time I met a ton of locals (young, old and in between) and spent a good amount of time actually hanging out at some of the local spots. The owner went out of his way to make sure I met some great people, and that is definitely not something that you are going to get at an all-inclusive overpriced hotel.

I also think it is important to give the island some context. St. Croix has fallen on some rough times (the refinery closing has left a ton of people unemployed) and right now it has limited resources. If you go, you have to set expectations realistically, or you'll be disappointed. If you want shopping and fancy dinners, go to St. Thomas. But If you want to lay in the sun, drink strong cheap drinks and meet some awesome people, then come here. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, and I should mention Taco Tuesdays. Live jazz band, $10 all you can eat tacos and a packed bar.

Granted, I'm easy to please on vacation, so I may not be as picky as other reviewers. I'm also really talkative and outgoing, so staying somewhere like the Hibiscus was a perfect fit for me. If you are looking for a fancy all-inclusive resort, you should stay somewhere else. But if you want to stay somewhere where they make you feel like family, then this is the place to go.

I hope I'll be back soon to visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
I’m glad that your stay with us could be characterized as Great Value and Good Fun. That’s what we wish for all our guests, to feel that the stay is a value for the money that is spent, and that a fun and enjoyable experience is had by all. Thank you for sharing your experience and we are glad to know that you will be back soon. Smiles and thanks from sunny St Croix, Marc
Ft Myers, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I read all the reviews when I booked our anniversary trip to St Croix, and being familiar with the islands was looking forward to stating at the Hibiscus. If you are looking for a Ritz, or a any large chain type of accommodations this is not the place for you! My husband and I had the Jasmine building room 7, and loved it!!! The room was spacious and immaculate, the view incredible, the bathroom was a little small and outdated but we didn't care (we knew about it from previous reviews).
Everyone at the resort was fun, friendly, and helpful! Dan and Michelle at the bar were AWESOME!!! Rashima at the front desk, beautiful, sweet, friendly, we loved her!!! Jack one of the owner is a great guy and told us about the rennovations under way. The food at the resort was very good as well!
The beach is beautiful!!! There is some sea grass but they make every effort to clean it up every day. Housekeeping did a great job keeping our room spotless!!
Come for the beach, the amazing people there, and just to relax and have some fun! We can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Jasmine building was the best view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your stay at Hibiscus Beach Resort. I’m glad that you found your visit to be relaxing. As you could see while here, we are in the process (which actually never ends in “the islands”) of renovations, painting, sprucing up, etc. Alas, things take time down here and the process sometimes seems as slow as a turtle crossing the road (or in our case, a turtle coming onto the beach to lay eggs!) I’m glad to know that you can’t wait to return.
Joplin, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel(not a real resort) has a great beach and a wonderful view! So it is a real shame that the current owner has let this place slip into a slum hotel. When I booked this room I asked for the best room with the best view in the place. If this was the best, I don't even want to see the rest. Also we were suppose to get a coupon/voucher for $10 towards breakfast every morning. When we checked in they claimed that that was just a groupon and it had expired. But it was still on their website. This amounted to a lot of money considering that breakfast was $12 for three burnt pancakes (Juice and coffee was another$6) and terrible service. The bathroom shower was full of mold & mildew in the grout. The toilet was stained beyond cleaning and it ran almost constantly! If the sound of the surf hadn't drown out this noise I would have to have moved to another hotel and eaten the cost. Which wasn't cheep. The glass in the bathroom window was also broken, the faucet was so corroded with lime that it took 10 minutes to run a sink full of water. There was a large hole for a drain in the shower and the strainer was just laid on top so it moved every time you stepped on it. (dangerous for kids & older people) All of the furniture and lamps were beat up and chipped. The ottoman was ripped. the chair was dirty. The sliding glass door would not lock, you had to insert an old broom handle behind the door as a means of security. The lock on the entry door wouldn't work half of the time and it stuck the rest of the time. The mini fridge had noise all day and night. We could see daylight through the roof and it was covered by a tarp. (all of the roofs were) The roof top banged in the wind to keep time with the fridge noises and the running of the toilet. And if that wasn't enough to keep you from sleeping there was a security light hanging limply from a tree and it shined in the window all night. The internet did not work anywhere but in the cafe/bar area. And it was super slow there. Also on the list of not working was the coffee maker, ice machine and several plug-ins in the room. I am sure the manager will respond with a reply that claims he was unaware of these things, but in truth the ice truck delivered ice to the bar & cafe twice a week. And the girls in the office admitted that the breakfast "deal" was over a long time ago. It was removed from the website the next day when I complained, but nothing was done to provide any kind of breakfast, so I did not bother to complain further.

Room Tip: All rooms were awful and noisy on the weekends.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
My goodness, ALL THIS, and yet you stayed an entire TWELVE DAYS with us??
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for a long weekend in February & loved this resort! It's no Four Seasons, but we were very happy with our overall experience. The room was awesome - it was pretty big, clean, had HBO, had a nice balcony, and was RIGHT on the beach with a gorgeous view of the Caribbean. The whole resort is so cute & comfortable - hammocks hanging in between palm trees, a volley ball court, a nice pool, and an adorable restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful if we had any questions about the island. If you ever need a taxi, call Big John- he's the best! I highly recommend going to Hibiscus!

Room Tip: Room 12 was wonderful
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your recommendation of our property.
Easthampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First I have to say that I absolutely loved the view from our room, ground floor right to the beach! The resort is a little run down but it didn't bother us we weren't looking for the four seasons! The room we got was kept very clean and smelled good, the bathroom is out dated but functioned for its purpose. We got a king size bed which was very comfortable even had extra pillows and blanket in the closet. There was a mini fridge and coffee pot for our convenience. House cleaning came daily and did a great job while we were out exploring the Island. The restaurant at the resort was cool half open with full bar and live music some nights. The food was very good we had breakfast one day and diner another night. The beach was not the cleanest due to a lot of seaweed from the ocean but the effort was made daily, they had someone out there cleaning it all day. You can't really swim right in front of resort due to so much seaweed in the water but a few steps down the side the water is much clearer and swimming was possible. We had read some reviews about ants and bugs but did not see even one while we stayed here. We did have no water one morning for about half hour and when I asked about it at the front desk they were very apologetic about the issue and were working to repair the issue. We enjoyed our stay here at Hibiscus and would come back anytime, our stay was good had no major issues with anything. The staff was friendly the atmosphere was so relaxing can't ask for more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad it worked for you and that you would consider a return visit.
Easthampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Before booking this hotel, my girlfriend and I did a lot research on places to stay in St. Croix. We looked at Hibiscus because it was not too expensive and it had beachfront rooms. We read some reviews that were kind of discouraging on here though, so we were a little hesitant. But I am very glad we didn't listen to some of what people wrote. So here is a thorough review and if you are seriously considering this place, it may help reading this.
When we first arrived in the area, we were a little worried about the area because some people said the neighborhood was a little sketchy. Yes, it wasn't the best looking area, but we didn't think it was dangerous or anything like that, especially compared to some of the other areas of St. Croix. It was kind of cool being in a neighborhood that wasn't full of tourists. The hotel parking lot seemed pretty secure, the whole lot had a high fence around it and the front "office" was right there, so it was fairly monitored. The front "office" wasn't exactly an office, more like a small shed, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. The resort isn't just one big building; it's actually several clusters of rooms spread about the beach. We got assigned room number 3, which was kind of centered in the hotel property. It was a first floor room with beach access directly in front of the room, and it was perfect. Besides ocean front rooms, there were second floor rooms with nice decks. It appeared every room on the property was ocean front. We also read that rooms near the bar were loud and the guests had trouble sleeping, so we were hoping that wasn't the case for us, and it wasn't. We weren't that far from the bar, but we never heard a noise from it. There was one section of rooms that were closer to the bar and I could see them having trouble sleeping with the noise. The only noise we heard was some movement at night from the above room. Not a huge deal, but I am a light sleeper and even soft noise affects my sleep.
Our room was spotless when we checked in and every day when we came back to it. The cleaning staff did a great job. The room was fairly large, had a comfy king size bed, small fridge, older model TV, iron and a desk with a chair. I liked how the floor was all tile with a small rug at the end of the bed. There was a sliding glass door that led from the room to our porch where there were two chairs. The door was a little outdated and hard to open. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a screen door and we were not comfortable leaving the glass door open all night. But when the door was open, it was nice to hear the waves crash against the beach just steps away. Another thing we were worried about when coming to the Hibiscus was the stories of insects in the room and on the beds. The entire time we were there, we did not see one single insect. Not in our room, not in the bar/restaurant and not even on the beach. In fact, we didn’t even see any bugs throughout the whole island. The bathroom wasn’t great. It was a little cramped and everything was outdated. The shower was a little dingy, but the water pressure was fine, unlike some reviews I saw. One night we had trouble getting hot water and then one morning we were without water for approximately 30 minutes. Also, we lost power once in the middle of the night, but only for about 15 minutes. Not a huge problem and this may happen all the time on the island, not just at the hotel. A big plus was the built in AC unit in each of the rooms. It was humid being right on the ocean, and leaving the AC on while we were out exploring made the room very comfortable when we returned.
The beach at the resort was great too. It was very clean around all the rooms, except for lots of seaweed. But the hotel staff does make an effort to clean up all the seaweed as we noticed a guy raking the beach every day. There was only one hammock hanging while we were there, but it appeared like they used to have more at one point. It is possible to swim right in front of the hotel, but again, there was a lot of seaweed and small rocks. We actually swam a little further down the beach in front of The Palms, where there was less seaweed. It is true that you can see some blue tarps on the roof, but unless you were really trying to find the tarps you probably wouldn’t even notice them behind all the palm trees. The resort is a little aged, but I think part of that is just being so close to the ocean. Salt in the air does a lot of damage to wood and metal. For the most part, everything was well painted and maintained around the resort.
The hotel bar/restaurant, H2O, seemed more like a bar than restaurant. It was pretty big and had several tables and chairs around it. It had a very airy feel with half of the bar completely open to the beach. You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner there, but it wasn’t a totally separate area to eat. You are pretty much eating right around the bar area, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I didn’t know what to expect from the food there, but I was completely surprised because it was excellent. We ate dinner there once and breakfast once and we really enjoyed it. The Palms was also a great place to eat breakfast by the way, and it’s only a 1 minute walk on the beach to get there. One night we stopped by the bar and were waiting to get a drink. It was a pretty crowded night because there was a live band, so the bartenders were busy. A customer next to us joked to one of the bartenders that we had been waiting for 15 minutes, and a guy at the bar jumped up and said he would help us with our drinks. We found out later that he was actually one of the owners of the resort. I thought that was pretty cool that the owner volunteered right away to help us out and it didn’t even look like he was working at the time.
The hotel has a small pool, but we didn’t use it. It looked clean though. There was also a volleyball net that we saw people using as well as snorkel gear to borrow, so there was plenty to do around the resort. Some places outside the hotel I recommend visiting are Point Udall, Fort Christiansvaern and Fort Frederik. Definitely hang out in Christiansted and Frederiksted too.
Overall, this was a great resort to stay at. During our trip, I didn’t see another resort that had rooms that are literally on the beach like Hibiscus. This was not a 5-star all inclusive ritzy hotel and we knew that going into it. But if you want to really enjoy the St. Croix beach atmosphere without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend this place. Most negative reviews on here are probably from picky people or people who thought they were going to be staying at a palace. Take everything with a grain of salt and do your research before booking.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I suggest asking for a room away from the bar. First floor rooms were gr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to express the various aspects of your visit for the benefit of other travelers. I think you have covered things quite well and appreciate that you have covered a wide range of topics. As you have mentioned, Yes, we also recommend that travelers do their research before traveling. If you don’t think Hibiscus is the place for you, why risk it? If on the other hand you think that we’re just what you’re looking for, like thousands of tourists every year and dozens of return guests every month, then sure, book your reservation and come put your feet in the sand and chill with us!

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!