“Loved this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
New York City, New York
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for a long weekend in February & loved this resort! It's no Four Seasons, but we were very happy with our overall experience. The room was awesome - it was pretty big, clean, had HBO, had a nice balcony, and was RIGHT on the beach with a gorgeous view of the Caribbean. The whole resort is so cute & comfortable - hammocks hanging in between palm trees, a volley ball court, a nice pool, and an adorable restaurant. The staff was very friendly and helpful if we had any questions about the island. If you ever need a taxi, call Big John- he's the best! I highly recommend going to Hibiscus!

Room Tip: Room 12 was wonderful
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your recommendation of our property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Easthampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First I have to say that I absolutely loved the view from our room, ground floor right to the beach! The resort is a little run down but it didn't bother us we weren't looking for the four seasons! The room we got was kept very clean and smelled good, the bathroom is out dated but functioned for its purpose. We got a king size bed which was very comfortable even had extra pillows and blanket in the closet. There was a mini fridge and coffee pot for our convenience. House cleaning came daily and did a great job while we were out exploring the Island. The restaurant at the resort was cool half open with full bar and live music some nights. The food was very good we had breakfast one day and diner another night. The beach was not the cleanest due to a lot of seaweed from the ocean but the effort was made daily, they had someone out there cleaning it all day. You can't really swim right in front of resort due to so much seaweed in the water but a few steps down the side the water is much clearer and swimming was possible. We had read some reviews about ants and bugs but did not see even one while we stayed here. We did have no water one morning for about half hour and when I asked about it at the front desk they were very apologetic about the issue and were working to repair the issue. We enjoyed our stay here at Hibiscus and would come back anytime, our stay was good had no major issues with anything. The staff was friendly the atmosphere was so relaxing can't ask for more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad it worked for you and that you would consider a return visit.
Easthampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Before booking this hotel, my girlfriend and I did a lot research on places to stay in St. Croix. We looked at Hibiscus because it was not too expensive and it had beachfront rooms. We read some reviews that were kind of discouraging on here though, so we were a little hesitant. But I am very glad we didn't listen to some of what people wrote. So here is a thorough review and if you are seriously considering this place, it may help reading this.
When we first arrived in the area, we were a little worried about the area because some people said the neighborhood was a little sketchy. Yes, it wasn't the best looking area, but we didn't think it was dangerous or anything like that, especially compared to some of the other areas of St. Croix. It was kind of cool being in a neighborhood that wasn't full of tourists. The hotel parking lot seemed pretty secure, the whole lot had a high fence around it and the front "office" was right there, so it was fairly monitored. The front "office" wasn't exactly an office, more like a small shed, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. The resort isn't just one big building; it's actually several clusters of rooms spread about the beach. We got assigned room number 3, which was kind of centered in the hotel property. It was a first floor room with beach access directly in front of the room, and it was perfect. Besides ocean front rooms, there were second floor rooms with nice decks. It appeared every room on the property was ocean front. We also read that rooms near the bar were loud and the guests had trouble sleeping, so we were hoping that wasn't the case for us, and it wasn't. We weren't that far from the bar, but we never heard a noise from it. There was one section of rooms that were closer to the bar and I could see them having trouble sleeping with the noise. The only noise we heard was some movement at night from the above room. Not a huge deal, but I am a light sleeper and even soft noise affects my sleep.
Our room was spotless when we checked in and every day when we came back to it. The cleaning staff did a great job. The room was fairly large, had a comfy king size bed, small fridge, older model TV, iron and a desk with a chair. I liked how the floor was all tile with a small rug at the end of the bed. There was a sliding glass door that led from the room to our porch where there were two chairs. The door was a little outdated and hard to open. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a screen door and we were not comfortable leaving the glass door open all night. But when the door was open, it was nice to hear the waves crash against the beach just steps away. Another thing we were worried about when coming to the Hibiscus was the stories of insects in the room and on the beds. The entire time we were there, we did not see one single insect. Not in our room, not in the bar/restaurant and not even on the beach. In fact, we didn’t even see any bugs throughout the whole island. The bathroom wasn’t great. It was a little cramped and everything was outdated. The shower was a little dingy, but the water pressure was fine, unlike some reviews I saw. One night we had trouble getting hot water and then one morning we were without water for approximately 30 minutes. Also, we lost power once in the middle of the night, but only for about 15 minutes. Not a huge problem and this may happen all the time on the island, not just at the hotel. A big plus was the built in AC unit in each of the rooms. It was humid being right on the ocean, and leaving the AC on while we were out exploring made the room very comfortable when we returned.
The beach at the resort was great too. It was very clean around all the rooms, except for lots of seaweed. But the hotel staff does make an effort to clean up all the seaweed as we noticed a guy raking the beach every day. There was only one hammock hanging while we were there, but it appeared like they used to have more at one point. It is possible to swim right in front of the hotel, but again, there was a lot of seaweed and small rocks. We actually swam a little further down the beach in front of The Palms, where there was less seaweed. It is true that you can see some blue tarps on the roof, but unless you were really trying to find the tarps you probably wouldn’t even notice them behind all the palm trees. The resort is a little aged, but I think part of that is just being so close to the ocean. Salt in the air does a lot of damage to wood and metal. For the most part, everything was well painted and maintained around the resort.
The hotel bar/restaurant, H2O, seemed more like a bar than restaurant. It was pretty big and had several tables and chairs around it. It had a very airy feel with half of the bar completely open to the beach. You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner there, but it wasn’t a totally separate area to eat. You are pretty much eating right around the bar area, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I didn’t know what to expect from the food there, but I was completely surprised because it was excellent. We ate dinner there once and breakfast once and we really enjoyed it. The Palms was also a great place to eat breakfast by the way, and it’s only a 1 minute walk on the beach to get there. One night we stopped by the bar and were waiting to get a drink. It was a pretty crowded night because there was a live band, so the bartenders were busy. A customer next to us joked to one of the bartenders that we had been waiting for 15 minutes, and a guy at the bar jumped up and said he would help us with our drinks. We found out later that he was actually one of the owners of the resort. I thought that was pretty cool that the owner volunteered right away to help us out and it didn’t even look like he was working at the time.
The hotel has a small pool, but we didn’t use it. It looked clean though. There was also a volleyball net that we saw people using as well as snorkel gear to borrow, so there was plenty to do around the resort. Some places outside the hotel I recommend visiting are Point Udall, Fort Christiansvaern and Fort Frederik. Definitely hang out in Christiansted and Frederiksted too.
Overall, this was a great resort to stay at. During our trip, I didn’t see another resort that had rooms that are literally on the beach like Hibiscus. This was not a 5-star all inclusive ritzy hotel and we knew that going into it. But if you want to really enjoy the St. Croix beach atmosphere without breaking the bank, I would highly recommend this place. Most negative reviews on here are probably from picky people or people who thought they were going to be staying at a palace. Take everything with a grain of salt and do your research before booking.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I suggest asking for a room away from the bar. First floor rooms were gr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to express the various aspects of your visit for the benefit of other travelers. I think you have covered things quite well and appreciate that you have covered a wide range of topics. As you have mentioned, Yes, we also recommend that travelers do their research before traveling. If you don’t think Hibiscus is the place for you, why risk it? If on the other hand you think that we’re just what you’re looking for, like thousands of tourists every year and dozens of return guests every month, then sure, book your reservation and come put your feet in the sand and chill with us!
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We'll we have just booked our trip (Rhonda n I ) for this spring break in March 2013 and I would like to make a good point for anyone who is reading these reviews. To start, I'm 33 and Rhonda is 32. I am graduating engineering school this May and Rhonda owns a vacation rental business here on the coast of Lake Michigan. We have a long history together and this is our first "real" vacation outside the states, so we are new to this.

We were originally going to book a cruise but it seems like a giant money pit with nothing but long lines and rush here rush there. So after weeks of searching we came across this resort and after initially reading some reviews we were just a little turned off by them. After a little thought though it was the negative reviews that actually helped us make our choice to come to this resort.

For starters Rhonda knows from running her vacation business just how picky some people can be and lets face it, for some it doesn't matter where their at, they're never happy.

We're not looking for 5 star either, we're looking for fun and this place sounds like it's right up our alley.. People complaining about late night noise from the bar, well stay home next time!!!! We don't need perfection to have fun, life's too short. Oh and tarps on the roof... We seen the pics, cry a little more poor babies!! lol

So we'll be there and will let ya know how it was. Oh, and in case you're looking to close that bar down with us on a couple of the nights.... or maybe more lol, we're going March 3rd through the 8th.. Be there or be square haha...

Jake and Rhonda

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a few words to us and for the benefit of other travelers. We do hope that your getaway with us will indeed be fun and memorable, and we do hate it when there are the occasional travelers who do not leave with the same feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction. We don’t want any travelers to feel like their rare time away from work and expense of travel is disappointing, yet at the same time we know that we are not the type of property for everyone.

St Croix is not a wealthy island nor are the business owners of many of the companies on the island. So, it’s not likely to be looked upon as a 5-star type escape. But for those of us who live here, or who have left the States to move to a place like this, we understand that it’s not going to be exactly like it was back home. It’s full of fun and great adventure and an eclectic group of wonderful people, and Time Itself is in abundance down here but alas funds and operating capital are pretty much the opposite, so if people took a true look at what it takes to operate a business on St Croix and try to keep people employed, they would understand a bit more about the difficulties in trying to keep things up as one would like.

Still, we are a very busy hotel, over 75% occupied all Summer and Fall, due to a huge promotion we were running, and of course over 90% occupied since December, because we are now in High Season.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I went to the Hibiscus in December 2012 to attend a wedding. I had already read the reviews about how bad it was but I figured ehh what the heck, I'm on a budget! For the most part, the Hibiscus is NOT the best resort, not the cleanest and not the most relaxing. I must say there are more negatives about this place then positives. The staff are super friendly and that is what makes you forget about all the things you complained about earlier that day. The bar/restaurant area was the best place to be if you wanted to have a good time and get good drinks. I dreaded spending too much time in my room because of that "icky" feeling of tiny bugs and roaches crawling around. The sheets were not that clean and neither were the towels. I did not have hot water the first 2 days which was the least of our worries compared to finding a big ROACH crawling on my forehead!! I was officially disgusted after that but luckily it was the morning we were heading back home. It is clear that this place has not been renovated in YEARS and I think if they finally decide to renovate it then the place will get a much better rating. Overall, I had a fun time in St. Croix but I wish I had I went to a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Renovations are on-going at our property, as well as most properties on St Croix. It’s not something you stop when you’re done, because you’re never done.

Yes, it was evident that the entire wedding party had quite an enjoyable time, because much of it was spent as festive evenings at the bar. Even the guests from a couple of villas and another quite upscale hotel found themselves at our bar for the majority of the trip.

I don’t know which room you may have been in, but pests are not so common actually, since we have a monthly pest control service, so your room would have been treated before you arrived and again last month. Besides pest control services, it’s usually the iguanas, geckos and lizards that quickly enjoy having the various island pests as treats.
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just spent the week of January 27th 2013 and let me start with I use Trip Advisor all the time and have never ever written about my experience but really felt the need to do so when it comes to the Hibiscus Beach Resort. I'm a budget traveler so I'm used to getting what I pay for but to be perfectly honest I want my money back! this place is not only run down its a joke. Blue Traps on the roof, run down dirty rooms, a neglected beach, a dirty restaurant (not sure you can even call it that), no water from time to time and the feeling that personal safety is an issue. I know this sounds over the top but I can promise you it,s not. I feel so strongly about my opinions that I'm going to leave my email so as to warn anyone that might be considering staying here. Feel free to write me!!! Tomdwinell@aol.com

Room Tip: Pick another location! The beach is just not worth all the downside to the Resort/Motel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are familiar with your visit and wonder why you did not bring any of this to our attention while you were here. No one realls having discussed this with you while you were here. I did receive your email on the same day as your review was posted. As I also mentioned to you in your email to us, no warning’s necessary. I have lived on St Croix for 7 years and worked at Hibiscus for 7 years and have never had or experienced issues with safety so that statement is conjecture and not based upon an actual experience.
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hibiscus this past weekend for 3 nights, and we had the best time! Prior to our trip to St. Croix, I had read some of the reviews for this place and it sounded like the staff would be really nice and friendly. I have to say, that was the best thing about this hotel. Marcia, at the front desk, was so incredibly sweet and helpful, and all the wait/bar staff that we met over the weekend were as well! Everyone there treats you like friends and family, and we felt truly accomodated and welcomed. There is this laid-back feeling at the hotel that really captures the essence of St. Croix. We ventured out a few times to Christiansted and the botanical gardens, but I would say that we had the most fun right at the hotel hanging out on the beach and at the bar with the staff and some locals.

I will agree with some other reviewers that the bathrooms in the rooms are not great...poor water pressure in the shower was definitely an issue. However, our sheets were clean, the floors were clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the beachfront views are amazing! I guess the positives outweighed the negatives for us.

Also, it was incredible to walk out the room and right onto a beautiful sandy beach. The beach was never crowded, making it feel very private. The bar/restaurant were also right near our building, making it super easy to go from room to beach to bar :). The food was pretty good...we liked the breakfast menu the best. And you can't beat dining in an open-air restaurant feet from the waves. It was so beautiful. You can walk from the hotel along the beach and pass by lots of other resorts and beaches, so everything feels very open. We plan to come back, and we will definitely stay again at the Hibiscus hotel!

Room Tip: If you have kids or want to get a lot of sleep, you won't want to stay in the building right nea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you sharing your experience with others. We’re not a lot of things – fancy, pretentious, 5-Star, luxurious, but we ARE accommodating and do like to welcome our guests like family or long lost friends. I’m glad that you felt that way as well.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!