“I would NOT recommend this place” 1 of 5 stars

Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
New York City, New York
“I would NOT recommend this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I went to the Hibiscus in December 2012 to attend a wedding. I had already read the reviews about how bad it was but I figured ehh what the heck, I'm on a budget! For the most part, the Hibiscus is NOT the best resort, not the cleanest and not the most relaxing. I must say there are more negatives about this place then positives. The staff are super friendly and that is what makes you forget about all the things you complained about earlier that day. The bar/restaurant area was the best place to be if you wanted to have a good time and get good drinks. I dreaded spending too much time in my room because of that "icky" feeling of tiny bugs and roaches crawling around. The sheets were not that clean and neither were the towels. I did not have hot water the first 2 days which was the least of our worries compared to finding a big ROACH crawling on my forehead!! I was officially disgusted after that but luckily it was the morning we were heading back home. It is clear that this place has not been renovated in YEARS and I think if they finally decide to renovate it then the place will get a much better rating. Overall, I had a fun time in St. Croix but I wish I had I went to a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Renovations are on-going at our property, as well as most properties on St Croix. It’s not something you stop when you’re done, because you’re never done.

Yes, it was evident that the entire wedding party had quite an enjoyable time, because much of it was spent as festive evenings at the bar. Even the guests from a couple of villas and another quite upscale hotel found themselves at our bar for the majority of the trip.

I don’t know which room you may have been in, but pests are not so common actually, since we have a monthly pest control service, so your room would have been treated before you arrived and again last month. Besides pest control services, it’s usually the iguanas, geckos and lizards that quickly enjoy having the various island pests as treats.

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just spent the week of January 27th 2013 and let me start with I use Trip Advisor all the time and have never ever written about my experience but really felt the need to do so when it comes to the Hibiscus Beach Resort. I'm a budget traveler so I'm used to getting what I pay for but to be perfectly honest I want my money back! this place is not only run down its a joke. Blue Traps on the roof, run down dirty rooms, a neglected beach, a dirty restaurant (not sure you can even call it that), no water from time to time and the feeling that personal safety is an issue. I know this sounds over the top but I can promise you it,s not. I feel so strongly about my opinions that I'm going to leave my email so as to warn anyone that might be considering staying here. Feel free to write me!!! Tomdwinell@aol.com

Room Tip: Pick another location! The beach is just not worth all the downside to the Resort/Motel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are familiar with your visit and wonder why you did not bring any of this to our attention while you were here. No one realls having discussed this with you while you were here. I did receive your email on the same day as your review was posted. As I also mentioned to you in your email to us, no warning’s necessary. I have lived on St Croix for 7 years and worked at Hibiscus for 7 years and have never had or experienced issues with safety so that statement is conjecture and not based upon an actual experience.
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hibiscus this past weekend for 3 nights, and we had the best time! Prior to our trip to St. Croix, I had read some of the reviews for this place and it sounded like the staff would be really nice and friendly. I have to say, that was the best thing about this hotel. Marcia, at the front desk, was so incredibly sweet and helpful, and all the wait/bar staff that we met over the weekend were as well! Everyone there treats you like friends and family, and we felt truly accomodated and welcomed. There is this laid-back feeling at the hotel that really captures the essence of St. Croix. We ventured out a few times to Christiansted and the botanical gardens, but I would say that we had the most fun right at the hotel hanging out on the beach and at the bar with the staff and some locals.

I will agree with some other reviewers that the bathrooms in the rooms are not great...poor water pressure in the shower was definitely an issue. However, our sheets were clean, the floors were clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the beachfront views are amazing! I guess the positives outweighed the negatives for us.

Also, it was incredible to walk out the room and right onto a beautiful sandy beach. The beach was never crowded, making it feel very private. The bar/restaurant were also right near our building, making it super easy to go from room to beach to bar :). The food was pretty good...we liked the breakfast menu the best. And you can't beat dining in an open-air restaurant feet from the waves. It was so beautiful. You can walk from the hotel along the beach and pass by lots of other resorts and beaches, so everything feels very open. We plan to come back, and we will definitely stay again at the Hibiscus hotel!

Room Tip: If you have kids or want to get a lot of sleep, you won't want to stay in the building right nea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you sharing your experience with others. We’re not a lot of things – fancy, pretentious, 5-Star, luxurious, but we ARE accommodating and do like to welcome our guests like family or long lost friends. I’m glad that you felt that way as well.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I went to the Hibiscus in December 2012 to attend a wedding. Foremost, I want to say that there is some truth to both the negative and the positive reviews for this property, and whether or not you enjoyed your stay depends on your expectations. If you are a budget traveler and can rough it to some extent, then you'll do fine. If you tend to stay at mid- to upper-tier hotels or resorts, you'll be disappointed, although on its website I think the property makes it clear that these aren't five-star rooms, so no one should be totally shocked. Here are some things to consider:

ACCOMMODATIONS: When I first walked into the room (or more specifically, the bathroom) I was underwhelmed, to stay the least. It's clear this property has not been renovated in a looong time; the tile has stains in the grout, the ironing board in our room had unidentified stains on it, and the hangers in the closet area were castaways from a department store (let's just say there are a lot of people who wear size XXL in this world). The TV was fine but probably from the 1990s. The bathroom overall...well, let's just say it functions: The water pressure was sufficient and the toilet flushes. But I found myself wondering if I should have brought shower slippers with me. We were in a bottom floor room, so we had to deal with bugs more than the upper-room folks seemed to deal with. There were definitely ants (who like to get into bed with you) and I saw a roach once in the bathroom. I also wasn't crazy about the mold/dust on the ceiling fan (needless to say, we never turned it on). That said, the comfort of the beds were fine (I slept soundly, at least, although I heard complaints from others who attended the wedding) and, if you're in a bottom room, you can just swing open your patio door and 10 seconds later you're at the water's edge.

Tips: Bring your own toiletries. The shampoo was in ketchup-packet-like containers. I used it because I didn't bring any, but you'd do better to use your own. And although they give you two water bottles for free in the fridge, stock up on snacks and drinks. There are no vending machines, and the only way to get bottled water is from the bar, which isn't always open. (Also, you do get daily maid service, but if you're that squeamish about bathrooms, consider some travel wipes or something, if only for peace of mind.) If you're booking during the busy season and am bothered by noise, get a room further away from the bar/restaurant.

BAR/RESTAURANT: The bar/restaurant area is probably the nicest part of the resort. It's a great place to just relax by the water, whether it's the beach or the pool. (The pool is small and the water was Gatorade-green while I was there, so I never partook). The staff is super friendly, the rum punches are good (and deceptively strong). One night they opened the bar when they were supposed to be closed to accommodate the wedding guests, which we all appreciated. The food was an unexpected treat. It's definitely not cheap (entrees are in the 20-25 dollar range) but considering what you might expect, it definitely exceeded expectations. I was never disappointed in either breakfast, lunch or dinner, and the staff was always friendly and accommodating.

Tips: Try the coconut-crusted french toast for breakfast. I also enjoyed my conch dinner. Keep in mind though that there's a reason the local Cruzan rum motto is the "No Hurry" rum. That seems to be a general motto across the island. Not a big deal at all, but if you're a harried New Yorker like me, then it's definitely a bit of a culture change. When you check in, you'll probably get coupons for free rum punches and discounts off breakfast. Use them!

LOCATION: If you want your vacation to be all about beach time, then you're in the right place. You could literally go back and forth between the beach and your room all day if you wanted. Some reviews have said that this is not a swimming beach. I disagree. Yes, there is a lot of seaweed and other ocean debris, but the water is still sparkling blue. Just grab a beach towel from the front desk and lie on a lounge chair all day. As far as what's around the resort...well, there isn't too much. Downtown Christiansted is about a ten-minute cab ride away, and if you want to mix it up, you can check out the resort next door, but otherwise, the location is fairly isolated. The front desk can call a cab for you, so finding transportation was never a problem, but there wasn't any public transportation that I noticed. The town of Christiansted has bars and restaurants and a small boardwalk, but it's a small several square blocks, which you could see in an hour or two. So that didn't warrant a full day of activities.

Tip: Have plenty of cash on hand for cabs if you decide not to rent a car. They aren't super expensive (to Christiansted it was about 10-15 dollars), but that's the primary way to get around if you don't rent a car. Also, note that ATMs are scarce. We had to have our driver take us to a gas station. So when you're near a place with an ATM or other sundries (snacks, water, etc.), take advantage and stock up. If you're looking for spa activities, you can book at the local fancy-pants resort, The Buccaneer, or have a masseuse make a house call to the Hibiscus. When coming back from town, ask the driver for his card so you can call him. We were able to hail a cab, but it did take a while to flag one down.

My friend and I were only in St. Croix for three nights, so there was probably much we didn't get to do/see, but I think the folks at the Hibiscus made our stay comfortable. Yes, the rooms leave something to be desired, but think about what you're paying for. If you want budget Virgin Islands—a roof over your head with easy access to sand and blue seas—then the Hibiscus should do the trick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
As you said, If you want your vacation to be all about beach time, then you’re in the right place. We agree with that and what most have said, that We’re your beach on a budget. We hope that travelers research enough to make an informed decision as to whether this is the primary basis for their choice for our hotel for their accommodations needs. We’re very “beachy” and all that goes with it, but if someone is interested in all the bells and whistles, we’re probably not the place.
columbia,sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

just looking back at the Hibiscus. we stayed there this week last year so some things may have changed there. I was somewhat surprised at all the recent negative reviews. we had a wonderful time there. the price was incredible for a carribean oceanfront room. about $100 a night, are you kidding?? we stayed in the building beside the volleyball court in the last room on the bottom. there was a strong breeze all day and night and we never closed the sliding glass doors at night and never heard the bar noise. but then again we were in the bar til late many nights.

the room was like a regular motel room. nothing fancy. but who cares. if you want to spend a lot of money to stay in a resort room, do so. there is nothing between you and the water but about 30 feet of white sand and coconut trees. we slept in our room, got out first thing every morning and spent the entire day on the beach, in the bar, or on an excursion. who cares if the water pressure is not great or if you see a bug? you are in paradise, enjoy it.

we sat on the beach every day except a couple of trips to christianstad and frederickstad (sp?). the beach is beautiful. we did not see any trash whatsoever just some seaweed. yes there are some rocks in the water but that is common on lots of beaches in the carribean.

Danny the bartender is GREAT. good guy who will treat you right. we got buckets of 5-6 bud lights every day for $10 to take to the beach. not sure if that is still available at that price but how great is that in the carribean??? his pina colads are to die for. absolutely great.

I have been to the carribean many times and I have always found this to be true. People really appreciate it if you tip well. They will treat you well.

I was also confused by the food complaints. when we went the cheeseburgers for lunch were fantastic. breakfast was a continental or you could order from a menu. both were very good. we ate supper several nights and the food was great. we ate one night at the resort next door, the food was overpriced and it felt like we were eating in any chain restaurant in the US. never went back.

the girl at the front desk (i can't remember her name) was sweet and nice and always helpful. All in all we loved it there. The way we rate places is if we would return. and the answer for the hibiscus is yes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We’re glad to know that you had so many enjoyable aspects to your visit and hope to see you back again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at the Hibiscus for 3 nights, thanks to a groupon deal we purchased. Our groupon included many coupons for discounts on drinks/food, which was greatly appreciated. This hotel sits on an amazing expanse of beach, and the palm trees are gorgeous. The rooms are average, but were fine for us - we spent most of our time on the beach!!! Sleeping and showering were our only priorities in the room, and it served us well. Our room was on the ground floor right in front of the beach volleyball court and had an amazing view!!! We love volleyball and loved the fact that we could watch people play from our deck area, or jump in on a game whenever! We were right next to the bar as well, not recommended for anyone who wants sleep, esp on a Tuesday/Wednesday night, but we loved being able to walk to and from the bar so easily. Our biggest issue was the fact that our sliding glass door barely slid - it took alot of tugging to get it open / closed. The bathrooms are small and in need of renovations, and the dripping shower soaked the bathroom floor if you didn't close the shower door, but the room itself was fine. Yes, there will be bugs and rodents - but its an island! Get out and enjoy the beach! The staff at the hotel were very helpful and quick to respond to questions or concerns. The bar staff are also great - thanks for the service, Lori! Nisha was extremely friendly and helpful with the planning of a party and a brunch that we held at the restaurant, and we got a great value. Our private brunch party was a hit, and was very filling - they offered an abundance of food and excellent service. The food was a bit slow to come out at several occasions, but then again we had a large party and it was to be expected. The restaurant was a locals hangout as well and we had a great time meeting everyone. We enjoyed our stay at the Hibiscus because of the staff - it was great to get to know everyone and we look forward to stopping by H2O in the future for a drink and to say Hello!

Room Tip: The rooms near the volleyball court are also near the bar - request a room on the very east side if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Although you were married elsewhere On Island, we were pleased that you chose to have your next-day brunch for your guests at our restaurant. It was also great fun when you stayed with us for a few days and arranged a volleyball game among all of the attendees of your wedding, so that you could all be together and have a great time. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you stop in on a return visit as well.
marietta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The food is less than mediocre and very expensive, the rooms have ants and rodents running in between the walls, the beach is also no good. i wouldnt suggest going to the hibiscus. Unless poor service two thumbs down pick someplace else trust me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Noted.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!