“visited last year” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
columbia,sc
“visited last year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

just looking back at the Hibiscus. we stayed there this week last year so some things may have changed there. I was somewhat surprised at all the recent negative reviews. we had a wonderful time there. the price was incredible for a carribean oceanfront room. about $100 a night, are you kidding?? we stayed in the building beside the volleyball court in the last room on the bottom. there was a strong breeze all day and night and we never closed the sliding glass doors at night and never heard the bar noise. but then again we were in the bar til late many nights.

the room was like a regular motel room. nothing fancy. but who cares. if you want to spend a lot of money to stay in a resort room, do so. there is nothing between you and the water but about 30 feet of white sand and coconut trees. we slept in our room, got out first thing every morning and spent the entire day on the beach, in the bar, or on an excursion. who cares if the water pressure is not great or if you see a bug? you are in paradise, enjoy it.

we sat on the beach every day except a couple of trips to christianstad and frederickstad (sp?). the beach is beautiful. we did not see any trash whatsoever just some seaweed. yes there are some rocks in the water but that is common on lots of beaches in the carribean.

Danny the bartender is GREAT. good guy who will treat you right. we got buckets of 5-6 bud lights every day for $10 to take to the beach. not sure if that is still available at that price but how great is that in the carribean??? his pina colads are to die for. absolutely great.

I have been to the carribean many times and I have always found this to be true. People really appreciate it if you tip well. They will treat you well.

I was also confused by the food complaints. when we went the cheeseburgers for lunch were fantastic. breakfast was a continental or you could order from a menu. both were very good. we ate supper several nights and the food was great. we ate one night at the resort next door, the food was overpriced and it felt like we were eating in any chain restaurant in the US. never went back.

the girl at the front desk (i can't remember her name) was sweet and nice and always helpful. All in all we loved it there. The way we rate places is if we would return. and the answer for the hibiscus is yes.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thanks for your review. We’re glad to know that you had so many enjoyable aspects to your visit and hope to see you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at the Hibiscus for 3 nights, thanks to a groupon deal we purchased. Our groupon included many coupons for discounts on drinks/food, which was greatly appreciated. This hotel sits on an amazing expanse of beach, and the palm trees are gorgeous. The rooms are average, but were fine for us - we spent most of our time on the beach!!! Sleeping and showering were our only priorities in the room, and it served us well. Our room was on the ground floor right in front of the beach volleyball court and had an amazing view!!! We love volleyball and loved the fact that we could watch people play from our deck area, or jump in on a game whenever! We were right next to the bar as well, not recommended for anyone who wants sleep, esp on a Tuesday/Wednesday night, but we loved being able to walk to and from the bar so easily. Our biggest issue was the fact that our sliding glass door barely slid - it took alot of tugging to get it open / closed. The bathrooms are small and in need of renovations, and the dripping shower soaked the bathroom floor if you didn't close the shower door, but the room itself was fine. Yes, there will be bugs and rodents - but its an island! Get out and enjoy the beach! The staff at the hotel were very helpful and quick to respond to questions or concerns. The bar staff are also great - thanks for the service, Lori! Nisha was extremely friendly and helpful with the planning of a party and a brunch that we held at the restaurant, and we got a great value. Our private brunch party was a hit, and was very filling - they offered an abundance of food and excellent service. The food was a bit slow to come out at several occasions, but then again we had a large party and it was to be expected. The restaurant was a locals hangout as well and we had a great time meeting everyone. We enjoyed our stay at the Hibiscus because of the staff - it was great to get to know everyone and we look forward to stopping by H2O in the future for a drink and to say Hello!

Room Tip: The rooms near the volleyball court are also near the bar - request a room on the very east side if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Although you were married elsewhere On Island, we were pleased that you chose to have your next-day brunch for your guests at our restaurant. It was also great fun when you stayed with us for a few days and arranged a volleyball game among all of the attendees of your wedding, so that you could all be together and have a great time. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you stop in on a return visit as well.
marietta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The food is less than mediocre and very expensive, the rooms have ants and rodents running in between the walls, the beach is also no good. i wouldnt suggest going to the hibiscus. Unless poor service two thumbs down pick someplace else trust me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Noted.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

You walk out your room and are on the small quiet beach. Amazing....but then the roofs are all covered w tarps and the place looks like it is going to be torn down any day. Food is very expensive but the rum punches are delicious. I would recommend the Buccaneer Hotel...

• Stayed December 2012
If you’re recommending that hotel, then let me clarify to potential travelers – our hotels are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

No one who would consider staying there would (or should) likely consider staying at our place, and it’s probable that guests who book with us are not interested in paying the higher prices of a property such as that, or in the more formal setting that property offers. Not a real fair comparison, actually.
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Noise, trash and run down rooms....couldn't agree more with the previous negative review. Just wanted people to know that this appears to be the new normal. Just returned from 7 days at the "resort"...... Employees mentioned the place has been for sale for a while. Owner appears to be trying to extract as much value as possible by deferring maintenance, not refreshing linens and curtains etc. Sad, could be nice....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Conjecture. What the owner appears to be doing to you is not what is actually happening. The property is not up for sale but I would venture to say that ANYTHING is for sale for the right price.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

To summarize in short form: Stay at Hibiscus, eat next door at The Palms, and don't rent a car from Olympic Rental.

After reading reviews on the Hibiscus before I bought a Groupon for a 6 day, 5 night trip to St. Croix, I didn't have high expectations for my stay but I was pleasantly surprised starting immediately at check-in! I really don't understand half the negative reviews on this web site - I can only imagine you were too picky and had your expectations set WAY too high. This is a budget motel, not the Hilton or anything like that. It's still charmingly accommodating and located DIRECTLY on the beach, you can't get any closer!

PROS: Location, location, location. I stepped off the back patio and I was in sand, with only a few feet in front of me to get to the ocean. I read a lot of complaints on here about the seaweed at the beach and all I can say is - what's the big deal? Step over it..? It's a thin pile that gathers at the top of the beach where the waves wash up... How is this the hotel's fault? It happens everywhere on the island and yes, they even have a kid out there raking it up so no one complains. Also they are located in Christiansted, which is a far more low key area than the busy Frederiksted on the west end of the island where are the cruise ships come in. It was quiet and I did not see a single child or rowdy teenager staying at the hotel during my entire stay. Little geckos run everywhere on the palm trees outside, and I saw hermit crabs and regular crabs roaming around too... so cool!! Lowest price for a hotel on the island that I could find. Continental breakfast is gone now, thanks to people complaining about it so much (shame on you for complaining about a free service, if you don't like it, GO somewhere else and PAY for breakfast!) Service at the restaurant was excellent, the wait staff was extremely friendly and food was served quickly. I went to dinner outside of the hotel one night and brought the food back, but that restaurant didn't give me butter for my dinner rolls so I politely asked the cook at the Hibiscus if I could please have some butter and he was more than happy to accommodate me. I even offered him $2-$3 for the butter but he refused to take it. How kind! Bar staff was friendly, they even did a shot "to me" to welcome me to the hotel! So nice. The front desk staff is great. My debit card was declined at a store on the island and I panicked, thinking it was cut off due to my travels or something (although I called my bank previously) so I went to the front desk all freaked out and they immediately let me hop on their computer so I could check my bank account and get things cleared up. They didn't have to do that but understood my situation and took action to get me calmed down and back on track. Thank you so much for that! As far as the room I stayed in, numbers 1-3 face the beach directly, as well as 4-6 I believe. We stayed in #3 and had no problems, with the exception of a few ants in the bathroom. This is not a big deal so people on here should quit complaining about it really.. It's an island - there's going to be critters roaming around - it's inevitable. There was even an article in the island's newspaper about the influx of ants and how it's a problem for everyone, so if you come here you're going to encounter them. The A/C and fan in the room were already on and cooling off our room for us upon arrival. It worked great during the entire stay. The room decor is NOT outdated as a lot of people have said in these reviews, it's quaint and vibrant shades of orange/red/etc to match the island theme. The bathrooms are NOT dirty either, they are meticulously maintained and cleaned daily. Housekeeping came daily and the lady was very sweet and did a thorough job - even mopping the floors. Give her a $2 - $3 tip daily, it's not much but she is very appreciative and does a good job. Yes there are blue tarps covering the roof, but I didn't even really notice them AT ALL as they were properly secured and there are so many palm trees blocking the view of them. It's due to salty ocean air and damages from storms.. another thing I'd have to tell past reviewers to just "get over"... it's not a big deal at all and not an eye sore at all. Snorkel gear is brand new - not broken/disgusting as a lot of people have stated. Wi-Fi works excellently as long as you open the sliding glass door during use, or sit out on the patio while you're on your computer. The concrete walls of the hotel block the signal, so you must open the door or step out and you will get full, uninterrupted (and free!) service.

CONS: The first night of our stay, a Friday night, was insanely loud from the bar cranking the music until 3:30am. But we were warned beforehand by Marcia at the front desk that they had a band playing there and that it would get quite loud and last quite late. That was the only night that the bar was loud - we didn't hear a peep the rest of our 6 day stay. After the bar closed, a fight broke out outside of our hotel door between some natives. They were yelling at each other for a good 30 minutes before everything calmed down. Normally this would aggravate me but I actually thought it was hilarious listening to them through the door/watching them through the peep hole. My mother and I laughed about this the entire next day... the Caribbean accents of the guys bickering back and forth.. we cracked up laughing over and over. Definitely an experience, LOL. The food at the restaurant is "okay", and I will agree with some reviews on here, it's overpriced. Lunch and dinner is, but breakfast is reasonable. Eat at The Palms next door if you're looking for a more "wallet friendly" option.

All in all, I definitely recommend this hotel - they get a gold star from me! :)

*On a side note, I know Olympic Rental Car is advertised a lot around this area since they are close to the hotel, but I DO NOT recommend using them - all of their staff was very rude to myself and my mother and tried turning away our business, drove us to/from the airport like MANIACS even locking up the breaks and almost rear-ending a person one time, causing my mother to jam her knees into the back of the driver's seat - yeah we have big problems with them... Pay a few more dollars and go to a more reputable, safer rental place like Hertz (located at the airport).

Room Tip: Room #3 was excellent.. Get a room that is beach front, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your review and for your photos. I’d try and recover everything that you have mentioned but I think that you have done a very good job so I’ll simply say thanks and we are pleased that you were happy.
Rockville, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I usually don't write negative reviews but after staying at Hibiscus I feel compelled to warn those unsuspecting travelers who see the mostly positive reviews. I have traveled a lot and have never had such a bad hotel experience.

First off, I agree the resort has an excellent view, beautiful setting. It is a no-frills place, which I don't have a problem with at all. I was not expecting a five-star resort. I also agree that overall, most of the staff were extremely friendly. I want to specifically mention Marcia, at the front desk, who was lovely, very helpful and friendly.

However, the positives stop there. The room, while adequately sized and equipped, was extremely worn and dirty from the bedspreads, curtains, borderline disgusting bathroom. I wont even go into all the details of broken things, plumbing problems, etc. There is also a problem with outdoor cleanliness. There was trash all over the beach, cups, beer bottles, coasters, cigarette butts, pretty much the remnants of partying. The problem is that nobody picks this stuff up. On several occasions I saw staff members walk right by the trash.

Many of the staff live on the property, and hang out at the bar all night partying, VERY LOUDLY. We were told one of these individuals was an owner (one of the owners's sons). If you want to party hard all night long every night and sleep during the day, maybe this is the place for you. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of our stay we were kept awake by loud partying, singing, yelling even at one point they were using a BULLHORN. There was a loud fight at around 230 in the morning one night (the staff were fighting!) but it didn't wake us up because we were already awake from all the noise!!!

The property's restaurant/bar Is basically right on the beach, which is a plus but accounts for a lot of beach trash and noise to the surrounding rooms at night. The days are quiet!!! The food: breakfast was VERY good, lunch/bar food ok and dinners mediocre but fresh. Wait staff overall good but we did have one rude waitress for dinner service. The breakfast waitresses were the best. The food is DEFINITELY overpriced for what you get, dinners mostly $20-25+ entrees and breakfasts $10-15+ each. It gets very expensive. Also, they are always out of something, so be prepared to substitute for what you order and get your own bottled water.

To sum up my review:
I THANK GOD I didn't come here with the kids. The all night long noise, constant partying, foul language being broadcast by microphone/karaoke/bullhorn, filth and trash everywhere. We did not get any sleep on what was supposed to be our relaxing getaway. We missed parts of the days because we slept late due to being up all night with the noise.

One other thing important to mention: This is not a swimming beach. It is EXTREMELY rocky and has lots of coral. I don't know if it's good snorkeling but definitely not swimming.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, whatever you do, get the furthest room from the bar area. My recommenda...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It’s evident that there were some unsatisfactory things that occurred during your stay, which have been brought to the attention of the owner. Although we have not heard from anyone else in regard to this, either on here or by phone or email, we do apologize to you and any other guests who may have been here who may have experienced this. And thanks as well for the positives you noted.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!