To summarize in short form: Stay at Hibiscus, eat next door at The Palms, and don't rent a car from Olympic Rental.
After reading reviews on the Hibiscus before I bought a Groupon for a 6 day, 5 night trip to St. Croix, I didn't have high expectations for my stay but I was pleasantly surprised starting immediately at check-in! I really don't understand half the negative reviews on this web site - I can only imagine you were too picky and had your expectations set WAY too high. This is a budget motel, not the Hilton or anything like that. It's still charmingly accommodating and located DIRECTLY on the beach, you can't get any closer!
PROS: Location, location, location. I stepped off the back patio and I was in sand, with only a few feet in front of me to get to the ocean. I read a lot of complaints on here about the seaweed at the beach and all I can say is - what's the big deal? Step over it..? It's a thin pile that gathers at the top of the beach where the waves wash up... How is this the hotel's fault? It happens everywhere on the island and yes, they even have a kid out there raking it up so no one complains. Also they are located in Christiansted, which is a far more low key area than the busy Frederiksted on the west end of the island where are the cruise ships come in. It was quiet and I did not see a single child or rowdy teenager staying at the hotel during my entire stay. Little geckos run everywhere on the palm trees outside, and I saw hermit crabs and regular crabs roaming around too... so cool!! Lowest price for a hotel on the island that I could find. Continental breakfast is gone now, thanks to people complaining about it so much (shame on you for complaining about a free service, if you don't like it, GO somewhere else and PAY for breakfast!) Service at the restaurant was excellent, the wait staff was extremely friendly and food was served quickly. I went to dinner outside of the hotel one night and brought the food back, but that restaurant didn't give me butter for my dinner rolls so I politely asked the cook at the Hibiscus if I could please have some butter and he was more than happy to accommodate me. I even offered him $2-$3 for the butter but he refused to take it. How kind! Bar staff was friendly, they even did a shot "to me" to welcome me to the hotel! So nice. The front desk staff is great. My debit card was declined at a store on the island and I panicked, thinking it was cut off due to my travels or something (although I called my bank previously) so I went to the front desk all freaked out and they immediately let me hop on their computer so I could check my bank account and get things cleared up. They didn't have to do that but understood my situation and took action to get me calmed down and back on track. Thank you so much for that! As far as the room I stayed in, numbers 1-3 face the beach directly, as well as 4-6 I believe. We stayed in #3 and had no problems, with the exception of a few ants in the bathroom. This is not a big deal so people on here should quit complaining about it really.. It's an island - there's going to be critters roaming around - it's inevitable. There was even an article in the island's newspaper about the influx of ants and how it's a problem for everyone, so if you come here you're going to encounter them. The A/C and fan in the room were already on and cooling off our room for us upon arrival. It worked great during the entire stay. The room decor is NOT outdated as a lot of people have said in these reviews, it's quaint and vibrant shades of orange/red/etc to match the island theme. The bathrooms are NOT dirty either, they are meticulously maintained and cleaned daily. Housekeeping came daily and the lady was very sweet and did a thorough job - even mopping the floors. Give her a $2 - $3 tip daily, it's not much but she is very appreciative and does a good job. Yes there are blue tarps covering the roof, but I didn't even really notice them AT ALL as they were properly secured and there are so many palm trees blocking the view of them. It's due to salty ocean air and damages from storms.. another thing I'd have to tell past reviewers to just "get over"... it's not a big deal at all and not an eye sore at all. Snorkel gear is brand new - not broken/disgusting as a lot of people have stated. Wi-Fi works excellently as long as you open the sliding glass door during use, or sit out on the patio while you're on your computer. The concrete walls of the hotel block the signal, so you must open the door or step out and you will get full, uninterrupted (and free!) service.
CONS: The first night of our stay, a Friday night, was insanely loud from the bar cranking the music until 3:30am. But we were warned beforehand by Marcia at the front desk that they had a band playing there and that it would get quite loud and last quite late. That was the only night that the bar was loud - we didn't hear a peep the rest of our 6 day stay. After the bar closed, a fight broke out outside of our hotel door between some natives. They were yelling at each other for a good 30 minutes before everything calmed down. Normally this would aggravate me but I actually thought it was hilarious listening to them through the door/watching them through the peep hole. My mother and I laughed about this the entire next day... the Caribbean accents of the guys bickering back and forth.. we cracked up laughing over and over. Definitely an experience, LOL. The food at the restaurant is "okay", and I will agree with some reviews on here, it's overpriced. Lunch and dinner is, but breakfast is reasonable. Eat at The Palms next door if you're looking for a more "wallet friendly" option.
All in all, I definitely recommend this hotel - they get a gold star from me! :)
*On a side note, I know Olympic Rental Car is advertised a lot around this area since they are close to the hotel, but I DO NOT recommend using them - all of their staff was very rude to myself and my mother and tried turning away our business, drove us to/from the airport like MANIACS even locking up the breaks and almost rear-ending a person one time, causing my mother to jam her knees into the back of the driver's seat - yeah we have big problems with them... Pay a few more dollars and go to a more reputable, safer rental place like Hertz (located at the airport).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus Beach Resort is a casual and comfortable oceanfront boutique hotel comprised of 38 beachfront rooms in 6 freestanding buildings, set among lush native foliage and sweeping palms. Located on secluded and picturesque Pelican Cove Beach, just 3 miles from quaint historic downtown Christiansted and tourist shopping and just 15 minutes from the island’s main airport.Property amenities at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Freshwater Swimming Pool, Complimentary Pool and Beach Chaise Lounges, Complimentary Pool and Beach Towels, Complimentary Snorkel Equipment, Complimentary Wireless Internet, Beach Hammocks, Beach Volleyball, Daily Maid Service, Lending Library, Free Parking, On-site SecurityGuest Rooms at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan, Terrace or Balcony with lounge furniture, Bathroom amenities (shampoos, lotions), Iron/Ironing Board, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker with complimentary coffee, creamer and sugar, Alarm Clock, Telephone (most rooms), Cable TV, and also include a Mini-Fridge.Hibiscus Beach Resort is located in Christiansted, St Croix, approximately 8 miles or 15 minutes from the island’s main airport, and approximately 3 miles from the old historic and tourist district of Christiansted. The North shore proximity of Hibiscus Beach Resort just minutes from both the airport and downtown Christiansted provide easy access to island destinations. The Eastern-facing direction of our property also affords stunning island and coastal views, as well as the near-constant Caribbean trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hibiscus Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel Christiansted
- Hotel Hibiscus Beach
- Hibiscus Beach Christiansted
- Hibiscus Beach Resort St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands