“Couldn't wait to go home.” 1 of 5 stars

Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #7 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Rockville, Maryland
“Couldn't wait to go home.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I usually don't write negative reviews but after staying at Hibiscus I feel compelled to warn those unsuspecting travelers who see the mostly positive reviews. I have traveled a lot and have never had such a bad hotel experience.

First off, I agree the resort has an excellent view, beautiful setting. It is a no-frills place, which I don't have a problem with at all. I was not expecting a five-star resort. I also agree that overall, most of the staff were extremely friendly. I want to specifically mention Marcia, at the front desk, who was lovely, very helpful and friendly.

However, the positives stop there. The room, while adequately sized and equipped, was extremely worn and dirty from the bedspreads, curtains, borderline disgusting bathroom. I wont even go into all the details of broken things, plumbing problems, etc. There is also a problem with outdoor cleanliness. There was trash all over the beach, cups, beer bottles, coasters, cigarette butts, pretty much the remnants of partying. The problem is that nobody picks this stuff up. On several occasions I saw staff members walk right by the trash.

Many of the staff live on the property, and hang out at the bar all night partying, VERY LOUDLY. We were told one of these individuals was an owner (one of the owners's sons). If you want to party hard all night long every night and sleep during the day, maybe this is the place for you. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of our stay we were kept awake by loud partying, singing, yelling even at one point they were using a BULLHORN. There was a loud fight at around 230 in the morning one night (the staff were fighting!) but it didn't wake us up because we were already awake from all the noise!!!

The property's restaurant/bar Is basically right on the beach, which is a plus but accounts for a lot of beach trash and noise to the surrounding rooms at night. The days are quiet!!! The food: breakfast was VERY good, lunch/bar food ok and dinners mediocre but fresh. Wait staff overall good but we did have one rude waitress for dinner service. The breakfast waitresses were the best. The food is DEFINITELY overpriced for what you get, dinners mostly $20-25+ entrees and breakfasts $10-15+ each. It gets very expensive. Also, they are always out of something, so be prepared to substitute for what you order and get your own bottled water.

To sum up my review:
I THANK GOD I didn't come here with the kids. The all night long noise, constant partying, foul language being broadcast by microphone/karaoke/bullhorn, filth and trash everywhere. We did not get any sleep on what was supposed to be our relaxing getaway. We missed parts of the days because we slept late due to being up all night with the noise.

One other thing important to mention: This is not a swimming beach. It is EXTREMELY rocky and has lots of coral. I don't know if it's good snorkeling but definitely not swimming.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, whatever you do, get the furthest room from the bar area. My recommenda...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. It’s evident that there were some unsatisfactory things that occurred during your stay, which have been brought to the attention of the owner. Although we have not heard from anyone else in regard to this, either on here or by phone or email, we do apologize to you and any other guests who may have been here who may have experienced this. And thanks as well for the positives you noted.

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I am not over-exaggerating when I say that staying at the Hibiscus was the best vacation I've ever taken. From the minute you get there they treat you like they've known you forever and everything is so comfortable and relaxing. There is no time pressure, nothing to worry about, and just nice people and a friendly atmosphere. My boyfriend and I went at the beginning of November and the skies were sunny with 85 degree weather every day. Perfect.

We met most of the hotel staff the first night and stayed up hanging out with them late into the night every night after that. They even threw me a surprise birthday party that was AWESOME! The other guests and locals all celebrated with me! Nisha is the best party/event planner there is! (Thank you so much for the bracelet too!) and the night ended with great quesadilla's by Jack. Best Birthday Ever. On our last day we did Johnny's Island Adventure tour with Danny and John and it was hands down the best day of the trip. What's better than the most beautiful beach in the world and a couple glasses of rum punch?

Overall, it was honestly the best vacation and I do not have a single thing to complain about. If you are planning a trip to St.Croix you should ABSOLUTELY stay here. It is the perfect place to relax, immerse yourself in the island mentality and meet amazing people along the way.

Thank you all!
Darby

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I’m so very happy that you consider this to be your best vacation ever. This is what we strive for and is what our hope would be for all travelers. We know everyone won’t be as elated as you but we wish they could. Thanks again.
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hibiscus. Albeit not fancy, the rooms are clean and you have everything you would need including a fridge and coffee maker. Breakfast was served quickly and was inexpensive, some nights dinner was slow and a bit over priced but there was always something caught fresh on the menu and they accept credit cards. One of the pluses aside from the fact that you are direct beach front is that you can walk to the neighboring resort and walk to a small convenience store for sundries etc.. We did not rent a car and we were pleased to have these other options. Some nights karaoke and bar noise was a bit loud but also part of the ambiance. It was pleasant to see the same faces everyday, it's a very small resort and if you'd like, you could certainly make friends, though most people seemed very respectful of privacy a well. Taking a hotel operated tour was inexpensive and offered great snorkeling and a bit of a wild truck ride through the island rain forest. It's a nice and easy option should you peel yourself away from the beach or your book. I wouldn't hesitate to come back here if I wanted a very low key and inexpensive getaway. Christiansted is also a mere ten dollar taxi ride away if you need more dining options or souvenirs.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for the observations of your visit. It’s a concise narrative that offers a great point of view for potential travelers.
Milledgeville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Snagged a great deal via Groupon, and a group of 7 of us went together, booking 4 rooms. It is right on the beach, and the view was incredible! You could sit on your balcony or patio, dependant on if you had an upstairs or 1st floor room & watch the waves, etc.
The room was better than okay, but there were still issues (hole in the shower wall, large gap under the door, etc.).
The food was really good, but the service was painfully slow, especially breakfast....But, again, the food was really good!
Would we go back? You betcha!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We thoroughly enjoyed your large group staying with us. It’s always nice to get away as a couple, alone from everyone else, but as an option, it’s great fun to get together a fun group of friends and family and venture to some tropical destination for a getaway. With the promotion that you were able to secure, it made the cost feasible so that it could be one large fun gathering. What fun. So glad to know we may see all of you again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Its hard to review this hotel, because we loved St. Croix. We were disappointed when we entered our room however, it needed a major overhall and a good cleaning. We were unlucky enough to be in a room right next to the bar and the noise until sometimes 2 in the morning was terribly unappealing. If you want sleep, make sure you are on the other side of the dining room and bar as the staff likes to party at night. The bed was ok, the patio doors are so old and full of moisture that even if you do have a good view, you cannot see it unless you open them - which is a challenge. Our air conditioner was very noisy which caused a couple of sleepless nights also until we got used to it. The bathroom was the worst part however, it was very old and dirty, there were broken tiles and water barely came out of the showerhead. They did not clean the inside of the shower doors and there was mould growing on them. I actually tried to wipe them off with a damp cloth and it did come off a bit, with some bleach and a scrubbrush, it would be way better. They also did not clean behind the toilet or the outside of the toilet. There was many human beings worth of hair and urine and dust coating both and the inside of the bathroom door when you closed it you only saw yellow drips running down the bottom half which I finally washed off a couple of days in because it was disgusting and if came of with no problem so obviously they had not even tried. We did consider moving at one point, but decided because we got it extremely cheap (for less than 90 a day) and the location was pretty good and we were not really spending that much time there anyway, we would stay.
The beach is nice, it is always wavy here and quite rocky in the water. There was seaweed, but there was seaweed all along this side of the island since the waves push it up and they did have some boys trying to clean it up every couple of days.
The staff were friendly and helpful for the most part, although scarce. The food was more than acceptable and was reasonably priced. They do not offer the continental breakfast anymore, but were offering guest - for the moment- 5 dollar credits each for every morning meal eaten there.
St. Croix is amazing, we rented a car for the whole time we were there and thouroughly enjoyed driving around the island and even getting lost. As its only 48 miles by 11 miles its hard to get too far off the beaten track. The people are friendly and respectful, and the place is very clean everywhere. I would absolutely go back to St. Croix, but I would not likely stay at the Hibiscus unless it gets an overhall.
We did not experience any crime there at all. I am sure that it is there, but if you stay to the beaten paths and out of the poorer areas like any place, you will be fine. The roof decks did leak, but not that badly .They have blue plastic covering the roofs of the whole hotel by the way. There is a sign on the front desk window apologizing for this and saying they are recovering from damage from storm. Not sure when that was though, could have been 5 years ago. We did not experience any bed bugs, but there are bugs there of course and I did get quite a few (I think from the sand, not sure exactly) and was very itchy for a while. There were way fewer bugs than a lot of other places we have vacationed. They do have problems with their phones, and say so in the guides in the rooms. The front desk was always helpful with this and immediately made any calls for us from the front office. They do have water problems, but we never experienced them turning off the water at a certain time of day, nor did any other guests that we talked to complain about that. They do have water problems, the town (at least that is what we were told) turned the water off a couple of times, but they do have a cistern and had water hauled in immediately both times that it happened. We were out of water for about an hour each time. We had more problem with hot water. If you want hot water at about 9 am or 6 pm, you might be out of luck, they had 1 hot water tank servicing all the rooms in our building and everyone always wanted to be showering at the same. Hope this helps, go to St. Croix, but probably stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in the building close to the bar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. You covered things well enough that there is no need for me to elaborate.
Clinton, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked this hotel with a Groupon deal for 5 days and was anxious since it was rated so high on Tripadvisor. As many have already stated, it is not your 5 star hotel. Pros - 1) the staff (especially Marsha & Danny the bartender) were very helpful and wanted to please you; 2) walked out every morning to the beach; 3) with a car, about a 20 minute drive to almost anywhere on the island; 4) walking distance to a more upscale hotel for food & entertainment; 5) Comfortable bed. Cons - 1) Older fixtures in the room; 2) uninviting pool area; 3) beach had a lot of seaweed; 4) food was just OK. I am not the type that will spend my vacation focusing on the negative so I had a great time. I would definitely suggest getting a rental car because there were no where, except The Palm Resort in walking distance, but plenty of places to eat in Christansted. This is most definitely a laid back island. Its a place for rest & relaxation. If you are a person that likes clubs and nightlife, this is not the island. I probably wouldn't stay here again, mostly because that was my 1st trip to St Croix and I'd like to stay at some of the other resorts just to compare if I returned. I would suggest this as long as you don't have 5 star resort expectations.

Room Tip: The first building is directly on the beach, however, if you are close to the dining room, you might...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you. Just one item that I will comment on: you are correct that St Croix is not an island full of nightlife, such as with clubs and a disco-type atmosphere. We’re much more laid back so if that type of club atmosphere is what a traveler is looking for, they will not find it on St Croix. Here it would be more like kicking back in a chair, propping your feet up on a side stool at a funky and cool open-air beach bar or restaurant, with an interesting and eclectic group of friends, feeling the breeze, hearing the crash of waves, and listening to various island music.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I got a Groupon to the Hibiscus Resort and we couldn't have been happier. What we wanted was peace, quiet, and relaxation, and we got exactly that. As I've heard, even during the high season St Croix has less going on than the other Virgin Islands, so since we went during the low season, we felt like we had it all to ourselves. Our room had a gorgeous view, and while the Hibiscus beach isn't the most beautiful on the island (perfectly fine though) the management was very helpful in helping us arrange day trips to other places on the island. Rooms were spacious and beds were lovely, and we enjoyed our balcony. Also a good breakfast spread. If you're looking for a lively nightlife perhaps go elsewhere, but for a romantic couple's retreat this place was perfect.

Room Tip: Top level rooms are nice and high-ceilinged, also less sand gets tracked in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nice and concise and informative. Thanks for the review.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!