I usually don't write negative reviews but after staying at Hibiscus I feel compelled to warn those unsuspecting travelers who see the mostly positive reviews. I have traveled a lot and have never had such a bad hotel experience.
First off, I agree the resort has an excellent view, beautiful setting. It is a no-frills place, which I don't have a problem with at all. I was not expecting a five-star resort. I also agree that overall, most of the staff were extremely friendly. I want to specifically mention Marcia, at the front desk, who was lovely, very helpful and friendly.
However, the positives stop there. The room, while adequately sized and equipped, was extremely worn and dirty from the bedspreads, curtains, borderline disgusting bathroom. I wont even go into all the details of broken things, plumbing problems, etc. There is also a problem with outdoor cleanliness. There was trash all over the beach, cups, beer bottles, coasters, cigarette butts, pretty much the remnants of partying. The problem is that nobody picks this stuff up. On several occasions I saw staff members walk right by the trash.
Many of the staff live on the property, and hang out at the bar all night partying, VERY LOUDLY. We were told one of these individuals was an owner (one of the owners's sons). If you want to party hard all night long every night and sleep during the day, maybe this is the place for you. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT of our stay we were kept awake by loud partying, singing, yelling even at one point they were using a BULLHORN. There was a loud fight at around 230 in the morning one night (the staff were fighting!) but it didn't wake us up because we were already awake from all the noise!!!
The property's restaurant/bar Is basically right on the beach, which is a plus but accounts for a lot of beach trash and noise to the surrounding rooms at night. The days are quiet!!! The food: breakfast was VERY good, lunch/bar food ok and dinners mediocre but fresh. Wait staff overall good but we did have one rude waitress for dinner service. The breakfast waitresses were the best. The food is DEFINITELY overpriced for what you get, dinners mostly $20-25+ entrees and breakfasts $10-15+ each. It gets very expensive. Also, they are always out of something, so be prepared to substitute for what you order and get your own bottled water.
To sum up my review:
I THANK GOD I didn't come here with the kids. The all night long noise, constant partying, foul language being broadcast by microphone/karaoke/bullhorn, filth and trash everywhere. We did not get any sleep on what was supposed to be our relaxing getaway. We missed parts of the days because we slept late due to being up all night with the noise.
One other thing important to mention: This is not a swimming beach. It is EXTREMELY rocky and has lots of coral. I don't know if it's good snorkeling but definitely not swimming.
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel Christiansted
- Hotel Hibiscus Beach
- Hibiscus Beach Christiansted
- Hibiscus Beach Resort St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus Beach Resort is a casual and comfortable oceanfront boutique hotel comprised of 38 beachfront rooms in 6 freestanding buildings, set among lush native foliage and sweeping palms. Located on secluded and picturesque Pelican Cove Beach, just 3 miles from quaint historic downtown Christiansted and tourist shopping and just 15 minutes from the island’s main airport.Property amenities at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Freshwater Swimming Pool, Complimentary Pool and Beach Chaise Lounges, Complimentary Pool and Beach Towels, Complimentary Snorkel Equipment, Complimentary Wireless Internet, Beach Hammocks, Beach Volleyball, Daily Maid Service, Lending Library, Free Parking, On-site SecurityGuest Rooms at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan, Terrace or Balcony with lounge furniture, Bathroom amenities (shampoos, lotions), Iron/Ironing Board, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker with complimentary coffee, creamer and sugar, Alarm Clock, Telephone (most rooms), Cable TV, and also include a Mini-Fridge.Hibiscus Beach Resort is located in Christiansted, St Croix, approximately 8 miles or 15 minutes from the island’s main airport, and approximately 3 miles from the old historic and tourist district of Christiansted. The North shore proximity of Hibiscus Beach Resort just minutes from both the airport and downtown Christiansted provide easy access to island destinations. The Eastern-facing direction of our property also affords stunning island and coastal views, as well as the near-constant Caribbean trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Hibiscus Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.