Its hard to review this hotel, because we loved St. Croix. We were disappointed when we entered our room however, it needed a major overhall and a good cleaning. We were unlucky enough to be in a room right next to the bar and the noise until sometimes 2 in the morning was terribly unappealing. If you want sleep, make sure you are on the other side of the dining room and bar as the staff likes to party at night. The bed was ok, the patio doors are so old and full of moisture that even if you do have a good view, you cannot see it unless you open them - which is a challenge. Our air conditioner was very noisy which caused a couple of sleepless nights also until we got used to it. The bathroom was the worst part however, it was very old and dirty, there were broken tiles and water barely came out of the showerhead. They did not clean the inside of the shower doors and there was mould growing on them. I actually tried to wipe them off with a damp cloth and it did come off a bit, with some bleach and a scrubbrush, it would be way better. They also did not clean behind the toilet or the outside of the toilet. There was many human beings worth of hair and urine and dust coating both and the inside of the bathroom door when you closed it you only saw yellow drips running down the bottom half which I finally washed off a couple of days in because it was disgusting and if came of with no problem so obviously they had not even tried. We did consider moving at one point, but decided because we got it extremely cheap (for less than 90 a day) and the location was pretty good and we were not really spending that much time there anyway, we would stay.
The beach is nice, it is always wavy here and quite rocky in the water. There was seaweed, but there was seaweed all along this side of the island since the waves push it up and they did have some boys trying to clean it up every couple of days.
The staff were friendly and helpful for the most part, although scarce. The food was more than acceptable and was reasonably priced. They do not offer the continental breakfast anymore, but were offering guest - for the moment- 5 dollar credits each for every morning meal eaten there.
St. Croix is amazing, we rented a car for the whole time we were there and thouroughly enjoyed driving around the island and even getting lost. As its only 48 miles by 11 miles its hard to get too far off the beaten track. The people are friendly and respectful, and the place is very clean everywhere. I would absolutely go back to St. Croix, but I would not likely stay at the Hibiscus unless it gets an overhall.
We did not experience any crime there at all. I am sure that it is there, but if you stay to the beaten paths and out of the poorer areas like any place, you will be fine. The roof decks did leak, but not that badly .They have blue plastic covering the roofs of the whole hotel by the way. There is a sign on the front desk window apologizing for this and saying they are recovering from damage from storm. Not sure when that was though, could have been 5 years ago. We did not experience any bed bugs, but there are bugs there of course and I did get quite a few (I think from the sand, not sure exactly) and was very itchy for a while. There were way fewer bugs than a lot of other places we have vacationed. They do have problems with their phones, and say so in the guides in the rooms. The front desk was always helpful with this and immediately made any calls for us from the front office. They do have water problems, but we never experienced them turning off the water at a certain time of day, nor did any other guests that we talked to complain about that. They do have water problems, the town (at least that is what we were told) turned the water off a couple of times, but they do have a cistern and had water hauled in immediately both times that it happened. We were out of water for about an hour each time. We had more problem with hot water. If you want hot water at about 9 am or 6 pm, you might be out of luck, they had 1 hot water tank servicing all the rooms in our building and everyone always wanted to be showering at the same. Hope this helps, go to St. Croix, but probably stay somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus Beach Resort is a casual and comfortable oceanfront boutique hotel comprised of 38 beachfront rooms in 6 freestanding buildings, set among lush native foliage and sweeping palms. Located on secluded and picturesque Pelican Cove Beach, just 3 miles from quaint historic downtown Christiansted and tourist shopping and just 15 minutes from the island’s main airport.Property amenities at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Freshwater Swimming Pool, Complimentary Pool and Beach Chaise Lounges, Complimentary Pool and Beach Towels, Complimentary Snorkel Equipment, Complimentary Wireless Internet, Beach Hammocks, Beach Volleyball, Daily Maid Service, Lending Library, Free Parking, On-site SecurityGuest Rooms at Hibiscus Beach Resort include Air Conditioning, Ceiling Fan, Terrace or Balcony with lounge furniture, Bathroom amenities (shampoos, lotions), Iron/Ironing Board, Hair Dryer, Coffee Maker with complimentary coffee, creamer and sugar, Alarm Clock, Telephone (most rooms), Cable TV, and also include a Mini-Fridge.Hibiscus Beach Resort is located in Christiansted, St Croix, approximately 8 miles or 15 minutes from the island’s main airport, and approximately 3 miles from the old historic and tourist district of Christiansted. The North shore proximity of Hibiscus Beach Resort just minutes from both the airport and downtown Christiansted provide easy access to island destinations. The Eastern-facing direction of our property also affords stunning island and coastal views, as well as the near-constant Caribbean trade winds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick so you can book your Hibiscus Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hibiscus Beach Hotel Christiansted
- Hotel Hibiscus Beach
- Hibiscus Beach Christiansted
- Hibiscus Beach Resort St. Croix/Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands