“At least it is on the beach!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hibiscus Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
“At least it is on the beach!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Its hard to review this hotel, because we loved St. Croix. We were disappointed when we entered our room however, it needed a major overhall and a good cleaning. We were unlucky enough to be in a room right next to the bar and the noise until sometimes 2 in the morning was terribly unappealing. If you want sleep, make sure you are on the other side of the dining room and bar as the staff likes to party at night. The bed was ok, the patio doors are so old and full of moisture that even if you do have a good view, you cannot see it unless you open them - which is a challenge. Our air conditioner was very noisy which caused a couple of sleepless nights also until we got used to it. The bathroom was the worst part however, it was very old and dirty, there were broken tiles and water barely came out of the showerhead. They did not clean the inside of the shower doors and there was mould growing on them. I actually tried to wipe them off with a damp cloth and it did come off a bit, with some bleach and a scrubbrush, it would be way better. They also did not clean behind the toilet or the outside of the toilet. There was many human beings worth of hair and urine and dust coating both and the inside of the bathroom door when you closed it you only saw yellow drips running down the bottom half which I finally washed off a couple of days in because it was disgusting and if came of with no problem so obviously they had not even tried. We did consider moving at one point, but decided because we got it extremely cheap (for less than 90 a day) and the location was pretty good and we were not really spending that much time there anyway, we would stay.
The beach is nice, it is always wavy here and quite rocky in the water. There was seaweed, but there was seaweed all along this side of the island since the waves push it up and they did have some boys trying to clean it up every couple of days.
The staff were friendly and helpful for the most part, although scarce. The food was more than acceptable and was reasonably priced. They do not offer the continental breakfast anymore, but were offering guest - for the moment- 5 dollar credits each for every morning meal eaten there.
St. Croix is amazing, we rented a car for the whole time we were there and thouroughly enjoyed driving around the island and even getting lost. As its only 48 miles by 11 miles its hard to get too far off the beaten track. The people are friendly and respectful, and the place is very clean everywhere. I would absolutely go back to St. Croix, but I would not likely stay at the Hibiscus unless it gets an overhall.
We did not experience any crime there at all. I am sure that it is there, but if you stay to the beaten paths and out of the poorer areas like any place, you will be fine. The roof decks did leak, but not that badly .They have blue plastic covering the roofs of the whole hotel by the way. There is a sign on the front desk window apologizing for this and saying they are recovering from damage from storm. Not sure when that was though, could have been 5 years ago. We did not experience any bed bugs, but there are bugs there of course and I did get quite a few (I think from the sand, not sure exactly) and was very itchy for a while. There were way fewer bugs than a lot of other places we have vacationed. They do have problems with their phones, and say so in the guides in the rooms. The front desk was always helpful with this and immediately made any calls for us from the front office. They do have water problems, but we never experienced them turning off the water at a certain time of day, nor did any other guests that we talked to complain about that. They do have water problems, the town (at least that is what we were told) turned the water off a couple of times, but they do have a cistern and had water hauled in immediately both times that it happened. We were out of water for about an hour each time. We had more problem with hot water. If you want hot water at about 9 am or 6 pm, you might be out of luck, they had 1 hot water tank servicing all the rooms in our building and everyone always wanted to be showering at the same. Hope this helps, go to St. Croix, but probably stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in the building close to the bar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. You covered things well enough that there is no need for me to elaborate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Clinton, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked this hotel with a Groupon deal for 5 days and was anxious since it was rated so high on Tripadvisor. As many have already stated, it is not your 5 star hotel. Pros - 1) the staff (especially Marsha & Danny the bartender) were very helpful and wanted to please you; 2) walked out every morning to the beach; 3) with a car, about a 20 minute drive to almost anywhere on the island; 4) walking distance to a more upscale hotel for food & entertainment; 5) Comfortable bed. Cons - 1) Older fixtures in the room; 2) uninviting pool area; 3) beach had a lot of seaweed; 4) food was just OK. I am not the type that will spend my vacation focusing on the negative so I had a great time. I would definitely suggest getting a rental car because there were no where, except The Palm Resort in walking distance, but plenty of places to eat in Christansted. This is most definitely a laid back island. Its a place for rest & relaxation. If you are a person that likes clubs and nightlife, this is not the island. I probably wouldn't stay here again, mostly because that was my 1st trip to St Croix and I'd like to stay at some of the other resorts just to compare if I returned. I would suggest this as long as you don't have 5 star resort expectations.

Room Tip: The first building is directly on the beach, however, if you are close to the dining room, you might...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you. Just one item that I will comment on: you are correct that St Croix is not an island full of nightlife, such as with clubs and a disco-type atmosphere. We’re much more laid back so if that type of club atmosphere is what a traveler is looking for, they will not find it on St Croix. Here it would be more like kicking back in a chair, propping your feet up on a side stool at a funky and cool open-air beach bar or restaurant, with an interesting and eclectic group of friends, feeling the breeze, hearing the crash of waves, and listening to various island music.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I got a Groupon to the Hibiscus Resort and we couldn't have been happier. What we wanted was peace, quiet, and relaxation, and we got exactly that. As I've heard, even during the high season St Croix has less going on than the other Virgin Islands, so since we went during the low season, we felt like we had it all to ourselves. Our room had a gorgeous view, and while the Hibiscus beach isn't the most beautiful on the island (perfectly fine though) the management was very helpful in helping us arrange day trips to other places on the island. Rooms were spacious and beds were lovely, and we enjoyed our balcony. Also a good breakfast spread. If you're looking for a lively nightlife perhaps go elsewhere, but for a romantic couple's retreat this place was perfect.

Room Tip: Top level rooms are nice and high-ceilinged, also less sand gets tracked in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nice and concise and informative. Thanks for the review.
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM ST CROIX Where do I begin there is so much drama and crime on this sorry island, this resort should be called a motel. There were bed bugs, roof on th edeck leaks, there were body hairs in the shower drain on the first day, the front is never there. some rooms have no phone and they tuen the wateroff tothe build after 12 am who ever heard of such a thing. They stole from my bags and my room. I bought this garbage from Groupon The native are rude and scam artist and stay away from olympic rental car service thery tried to use my credit card after I day of my being there at the arcade and the bank, yeah I am calling you out Capital One report to me the fraud that you tried to do. STAY AWAY FROM ST CROIX

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We take such allegations as bed bugs seriously. Our pest control company made a thorough and complete examination and found nothing. Nevertheless, precautions such as extensive laundering were taken once we read your review. No one here stole anything from your bags. We have nothing else to do with all the other comments about the island that you have made.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I visited here last November for our honeymoon. We were on a cruise and the first stop of the trip was St. Croix. My husband was raised in St. Croix and wanted to show me were he grew up, which is in walking distance to the Hibiscus Resort. We stopped in for lunch and drinks at the beach bar. The food was really good and the service was very friendly. Although we visited for the afternoon we liked it so much we were just recently looking in to coming back and spending a week at the resort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We’re happy to know that your recent stop-over visit has left you with the desire to return for an actual stay at the hotel. We look forward to your visit.
Howard Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I came to HBR on a whim with Groupon deal for a 5 night stay. I did a little research on the property so I already had a set expectation. That said, I will reiterate what other reviewers have written, that this is not a 5 star hotel. If you are looking for a huge and beautiful pool and bar and want to spend more money for those things then go next door to The Palms. However, if you're like me and want to just sit back, relax and enjoy the ocean and don't need fancy fixins then the HBR is for you! The staff is really nice and everyone is welcome. Ex-stateside locals come by on evenings to hang out for drinks at the bar and enjoy the ocean breeze and views. The food is good, rooms are clean and staff is friendly.... what more could you want?? Oh here's something else - you know what you wake up to every morning and sleep to at night? The sounds of the waves crashing on the shore!!

And to top it off as I'm here for a bday trip for my hubby and coming from NYC, I want to extend my stay 1 more night before having to head back to the super storm Sandy and more aster aftermath. I had a talk with Junior, co-owner, and let us have the room for the extra night, free of charge! What a wonderful bday gift!!

I will definitely be back at St. Croix and the HBR!

Room Tip: All rooms are beach front but 1-6 are closest. I have room 6 which is on the second floor but I have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m glad that your visit was so enjoyable. Yes, when there are situations that prevent guests from being able to depart as scheduled, we do try and accommodate with discounted rates. In your case, you received a quite nice birthday gift. We’re glad to know you will be back and hope things were ok for you when you returned to the States after Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast.
St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Hibiscus overnight for a short stay on St. Croix. The room was great value ($130 per night), compared to other three-star hotels on the island. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The location was great, not far from Christiansted town, but not too close. The beach was nice and the bar area was very cool (literally, the breeze was great). The drinks were very good and reasonably priced. My daughter had a great time at the pool. The pool was not big, but big enough to take a nice dip. The surf was rough that day, so we avoided the ocean. Overall, the hotel is nice for the price.
On the negative side, the property was a bit too pet-friendly for me. One guy was in the bar area with his dog and he did not look like a guest of the hotel. His dog wandered around, walked under my legs and scared my daughter. He barked at the owner (which was alarming to us). We saw three different dogs on the property and none of them were on a leash. To take the cake, two guests had their Pomeranian in the POOL! Disgusting!
Overall, the Hibiscus was nice. If you are an animal-lover, you'll love it. If not, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you don't want to listen to music, request a room that is not close to the bar, H2O.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I don’t know about the Poms who may have been in the pool, I have not been made aware of this, but yes, in general, we are a pet-friendly property. The on-site owner has a well-behaved dog and I myself bring my 4 pound Yorkie to work with me daily.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!