“Very lovely for the Price” 5 of 5 stars

Hibiscus Beach Resort
4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very lovely for the Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I got a Groupon to the Hibiscus Resort and we couldn't have been happier. What we wanted was peace, quiet, and relaxation, and we got exactly that. As I've heard, even during the high season St Croix has less going on than the other Virgin Islands, so since we went during the low season, we felt like we had it all to ourselves. Our room had a gorgeous view, and while the Hibiscus beach isn't the most beautiful on the island (perfectly fine though) the management was very helpful in helping us arrange day trips to other places on the island. Rooms were spacious and beds were lovely, and we enjoyed our balcony. Also a good breakfast spread. If you're looking for a lively nightlife perhaps go elsewhere, but for a romantic couple's retreat this place was perfect.

Room Tip: Top level rooms are nice and high-ceilinged, also less sand gets tracked in.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Nice and concise and informative. Thanks for the review.

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

STAY AWAY FROM ST CROIX Where do I begin there is so much drama and crime on this sorry island, this resort should be called a motel. There were bed bugs, roof on th edeck leaks, there were body hairs in the shower drain on the first day, the front is never there. some rooms have no phone and they tuen the wateroff tothe build after 12 am who ever heard of such a thing. They stole from my bags and my room. I bought this garbage from Groupon The native are rude and scam artist and stay away from olympic rental car service thery tried to use my credit card after I day of my being there at the arcade and the bank, yeah I am calling you out Capital One report to me the fraud that you tried to do. STAY AWAY FROM ST CROIX

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We take such allegations as bed bugs seriously. Our pest control company made a thorough and complete examination and found nothing. Nevertheless, precautions such as extensive laundering were taken once we read your review. No one here stole anything from your bags. We have nothing else to do with all the other comments about the island that you have made.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I visited here last November for our honeymoon. We were on a cruise and the first stop of the trip was St. Croix. My husband was raised in St. Croix and wanted to show me were he grew up, which is in walking distance to the Hibiscus Resort. We stopped in for lunch and drinks at the beach bar. The food was really good and the service was very friendly. Although we visited for the afternoon we liked it so much we were just recently looking in to coming back and spending a week at the resort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We’re happy to know that your recent stop-over visit has left you with the desire to return for an actual stay at the hotel. We look forward to your visit.
Howard Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I came to HBR on a whim with Groupon deal for a 5 night stay. I did a little research on the property so I already had a set expectation. That said, I will reiterate what other reviewers have written, that this is not a 5 star hotel. If you are looking for a huge and beautiful pool and bar and want to spend more money for those things then go next door to The Palms. However, if you're like me and want to just sit back, relax and enjoy the ocean and don't need fancy fixins then the HBR is for you! The staff is really nice and everyone is welcome. Ex-stateside locals come by on evenings to hang out for drinks at the bar and enjoy the ocean breeze and views. The food is good, rooms are clean and staff is friendly.... what more could you want?? Oh here's something else - you know what you wake up to every morning and sleep to at night? The sounds of the waves crashing on the shore!!

And to top it off as I'm here for a bday trip for my hubby and coming from NYC, I want to extend my stay 1 more night before having to head back to the super storm Sandy and more aster aftermath. I had a talk with Junior, co-owner, and let us have the room for the extra night, free of charge! What a wonderful bday gift!!

I will definitely be back at St. Croix and the HBR!

Room Tip: All rooms are beach front but 1-6 are closest. I have room 6 which is on the second floor but I have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I’m glad that your visit was so enjoyable. Yes, when there are situations that prevent guests from being able to depart as scheduled, we do try and accommodate with discounted rates. In your case, you received a quite nice birthday gift. We’re glad to know you will be back and hope things were ok for you when you returned to the States after Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast.
St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Hibiscus overnight for a short stay on St. Croix. The room was great value ($130 per night), compared to other three-star hotels on the island. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The location was great, not far from Christiansted town, but not too close. The beach was nice and the bar area was very cool (literally, the breeze was great). The drinks were very good and reasonably priced. My daughter had a great time at the pool. The pool was not big, but big enough to take a nice dip. The surf was rough that day, so we avoided the ocean. Overall, the hotel is nice for the price.
On the negative side, the property was a bit too pet-friendly for me. One guy was in the bar area with his dog and he did not look like a guest of the hotel. His dog wandered around, walked under my legs and scared my daughter. He barked at the owner (which was alarming to us). We saw three different dogs on the property and none of them were on a leash. To take the cake, two guests had their Pomeranian in the POOL! Disgusting!
Overall, the Hibiscus was nice. If you are an animal-lover, you'll love it. If not, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you don't want to listen to music, request a room that is not close to the bar, H2O.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I don’t know about the Poms who may have been in the pool, I have not been made aware of this, but yes, in general, we are a pet-friendly property. The on-site owner has a well-behaved dog and I myself bring my 4 pound Yorkie to work with me daily.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Well, my husband and I went to the Hibiscus Resort in st. Croix, Virgin Island for our Ten year Anniversary, We couldn't have asked for more! Our first day we had the nicest cab driver named Joseph, on our way to our Resort, he showed and told us about some of the best places to eat and activities, First off rent a car, it's cheap and worth it!( they drive on the left!) While we were there we went to the Captain Morgan Distillery, Jodi our guide was awsome, and also the Cruzan rum distillery, all day on a boat tour(big beard) and a MUST DO is the TAN TAN tour. But one of the better thing was our Resort, the staff was just wonderful, thank you so much John(the owner)you and yout staff(Danny,Jack,Toni;Sorry if I can't remember everyone names!) our room was great and on the first floor on the west side when we opened our sliding door we walked right out to the beach with the restaurant about a couple of hundreds of feet. The restaurant was open to the beach and the locals that come there are friendly and welcoming. Every day we were asked about our day and what we did and even met other wonderful people also on vacation.The food was wonderful, my favorite was the Lobster Poppers!(thanks Danny!), and ate Conche for the first time,delicious!. Everyday there was something new on the menu, they even have a Taco Night! The best of all was our last night. While my husband and I were closing down the bar, at around 2am, Jack yelled"Oh my gosh!, Baby turtles!!!, as we went aorund to the otherside of the restaurant, we saw about 100 newly hatched baby sea turtles, Well if you didn't know, when baby sea turtles hatch they follow the moon out to the ocean, well on that night there was no moon!, so they followed the light that shines on the pool, so Jack, his friend, another couple and my husband and I found what ever container we had around and started picking them up and taking them to the ocean! That was the best experience ever!, We would definately come back and stay there agian! In fact we hope in a couple of years!, thank you ,thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you want to be around less people, ( they only have about 35 rooms anyways!) take a room on the w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Your visit was definitely an adventure-filled vacation. I can imagine that the hatching of the baby turtles was definitely a highlight of the trip. I have experienced this, as well as the huge turtles coming out of the sea onto the beach to dig their nest to lay eggs, and both are wonders of nature. It can’t even really be described in words what an experience it is. Come back again, we’re glad to know you’ll be back.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I visited Hibiscus Beach Resort for our honeymoon. WE LOVED IT! All of the staff (bartenders, owners, etc) were so nice and welcoming. John Jr. took us on a FABULOUS tour of the island, including snorkeling, rain forest and the beer-drinking pigs! The food was great and the night life was even better! All the locals we met were very nice and made us feel right at home. There was a lot to do, but also very secuded in feel... no one ever bothered us when we were laying by the beach or just wanted to call it an early night! We are definitely looking forward to visiting again!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Concise and to the point. Glad to know you will be back. We love our returning guests.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!