“A Home Away From Home...Welcoming, Friendly Faces, We will be back!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hibiscus Beach Resort

You added Hibiscus Beach Resort to your Saves list
Hibiscus Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4131 La Grande Princesse | North shore, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Cynthiana, Kentucky
“A Home Away From Home...Welcoming, Friendly Faces, We will be back!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

First of all, the ladies that greet you at the desk are phenomenal. Kudos to Marsha, Kesha, and Rushema!!! Marsha is the one that I got to know the best. John Sr. is the owner of the resort and is very down to earth and Danny, the bartender knows how to mix the drinks. Sheldon, the new chef is extraordinary! Believe me, he is going to take the restaurant onsite to the next level. Angelina, at breakfast was awesome! A place is only as good as the people you have working for you. So if you want to go some place where people are helpful, friendly, and honest, stay here... Accommodations were clean, nice, and comfortable. Overall price was reasonable for beachfront. My husband and I will be back again for two more weeks in the future. Thanks again for a great time!!! Stephanie and Eric

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
IslandGroove, General Manager at Hibiscus Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. Because your stay was for a duration of 2 weeks, we were able to get to know you quite well and indeed, you did become like family to us. I’m glad that you’re going to be coming back, and I hope that you will again be able to arrange for an extended visit. Thank you for nice comments about the staff, I have shared them and they appreciate that their efforts are noticed. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New Boston, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I honestly have to say I was very, very nervous about booking this hotel because I could not understand why there was such a discrepancy in reviews, some people loved it and some people hated it. It is important to note that I booked for 2 reasons: It was rated #3 on Trip Advisor and the cost because we were definately on a budget. I honestly have to say, because my decision to book were based on these two factors alone, I was very pleased with my choice. You can certainly stay at nicer resorts but for double/triple the money. We took the time to walk around other resorts because all their beaches are open to the public and for the money we paid to stay at the Hibiscus, it was a great deal. Now, I am not saying there are not problems with this hotel but they can all be overlooked with an open mind and if it cannot, the management will try to accomodate and make your stay comfortable. The economy has taken its toll on everyone and the island and the Hibiscus is not immune to this so while there is some wear and tear with the property, they do well with stretching a dollar. Good Things: Beach is on your doorstep, restaraunt and bar on-site, close proximity to all locations (loved it being tucked in), excellent housekeeping (our room was always very clean and done early), hardworking and friendly management, very quiet and not alot of people around (I liked that), overall an excellent value for your money and Free Internet! Not so good things: Cannot really swim at the beach, due to its location, it is windy causing choppyness in the water and kinda rocky (we would pack up and spend the day at other resort beaches, because you can), I did not like seeing cigarette butts in the sand and left over glasses and beer bottles left on the beach in the morning from the overnight activities at the bar and there were two young locals that hung around the bar most days claiming to be friends of the management and seemed to be drunk all the time! As a tourist being in an unfamiliar place, not knowing who was staying at the resort as a guest and who was just there to hang out was uncomfortable sometimes but not a big deal. There are blue tarps on every roof which does leave an uneasy feeling for your first impression but again move on from that.....noise at night, is not bad at all...breakfast is what it is...pool is clean..overall atmosphere is comfortable. If you are on a budget, excellent value however if you want a more resort feel and have extra money, pay and stay at the Bucceneer or the Carambola Beach Resort.

Room Tip: Just call and Request Your Preference, they will accomodate!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your frank and honest opinion of your stay at Hibiscus Beach Resort and on the island of St Croix. Many of the things you mention are right on target – we are definitely for the budget-minded traveler and we always try and offer a variety of specials, discounts, and promotions to enable travelers to get the best value for their dollar. We KNOW that it costs more and more to travel these days, and we really try to help make it more affordable.

St Croix has numerous and varied beaches and we would encourage travelers to explore many of them. To comment on a couple of things, beach bars and restaurants on St Croix tend to attract a regular type crowd, who become familiar with the spot and make it their regular spot every day. Then again, we have a lot of State-siders who move to the island for the fun and adventure, but somehow can’t quite make living on a small island work for them, and are gone before you know it. This would be the case with the young locals that you spoke of. Gone, and easily forgotten.

The professional-grade tarps are in place until such time as we can complete our re-roofing process. Alas, renovation projects in the islands move very SLOWLY, so you can’t ever anticipate a project ending when the contractor says it’s going to, but oftentimes that is out of their hands because of shipping, parts availability, etc. Because the color matches so nicely with our buildings, we will probably end up painting the roofs the same Caribbean blue when complete.

Finally, yes, if you have the substantial additional funds to expend, there are a couple of other more exclusive properties on the island, so naturally all travelers should do their research to find the most suitable property for their circumstances. We're glad that you were pleaed with your choice.
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

If you want luxury, pampering, spas, and all the bells and whistles, this is not the place for you. But if you want the beach at your door step, if you want to be greeted by name by the staff, if you want a carefree, laid back vacation that makes you feel like you actually "live on the island" then stay here. It isn't perfect, but it is comfortable, extremely clean, and if you need anything the staff will go above and beyond to accomodate you. We were even escorted to McDonald's after a late arrival just because we were not comfortable driving on the "left hand side". We loved it! We will go back, absolutely! Angela greeted us each morning for breakfast, Cathy took care of us for afternoon drinks at the open air bar. Keesha was there at night when we returned to ask about our evening ventures. Dan, John, and all the others helped make our trip memorable. We met so many local residents who enjoy being at the Hibiscus and would run into them at other places on the island so you very quickly felt like you were "family". Don't expect luxury but enjoy a laid back vacation and you will love the Hibiscus........we did!!

Room Tip: We liked having a second floor room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid and informative review. I think that your review said it all. It generally IS easy to get to know many of the locals and regulars and yes, you indeed may find that you see them at various places on the island, and it's always nice to see a familiar face. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we hope that we will see you again.
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

my wife and i stayed here for 10 days for our honeymoon and we loved it. we had a wonderful and relaxing time. the entire staff was friendly and helpful. any issue we had during our stay was quickly resolved and they even helped us rent a car and make other various arrangements. the food was excellent at the restaurant and we really enjoyed hanging out at the bar having drinks after long days on the beach or exploring the island . Big thank you to Danny the bartender for making awesome drinks and being a really cool guy, it felt like we were at our local bar with all our friends every night. also thank you to john jr. , and his "wife" heather they were always around if we had a question or needed help with anything. We definitely feel like we have made some good friends in everyone at the hibiscus..we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to st. croix

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to express your 10 day experience at Hibiscus Beach Resort with other travelers. Even though we’re not your typical honeymooner’s type of property, we do have a very high number of honeymooners every month. Perhaps it’s because we are a smaller, more intimate type property where honeymooners feel they can have a bit more privacy from the big crowds.

I know it’s not possible for all guests to have a 10 day stay, but in the least, if a guest is able to arrange a stay of 5 or more days, then there is enough time to arrive, explore the island and participate in some of the island activities, wind down and chill, and then make the return trip back home. For guests who manage to stay longer than 5 days, it’s even better, but of course everyone has obligations, work, family, etc., so it’s not always possible to stay for an extended time. Nevertheless, I am glad that you found your 10 day visit just the right thing for you.
Harvey, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

looked for six months. we could not find anything that we could agree on but when we seen the hibiscus beach resort we just both knew this was the place for our new beginging i married my wife here on june 16,2011, the service was great marc took care of us in every way.there was nothing to worry and stress over it was just me and my new wife for our special day and if there was a problem that came up marc and john was on top of it to help us out we loved this resort so much that we will be back every year on june 16 great place !!! thanks also to john, john jr, danny, toni ,marc ,raymond and everyone else that made our wedding a day to never forget .

Room Tip: all the rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review about your stay with us. I was so happy when you contacted me to discuss your destination wedding celebration, and I was very happy to take care of all of your needs to make your wedding day as special as it was. It was a delight working with you before your arrival and even more fun and enjoyable working with you once you had arrived. I am so happy when I know that the hard work and efforts I have put into our weddings leave such wonderful and lasting memories. Every bridal couple is unique, every wedding ceremony is special, and knowing how pleased and satisfied that my guests are means the world to me. This is the hospitality industry and I firmly believe in the word HOSPITALITY or I simply would not be in this business. We look forward to your annual anniversary visits!
Athol, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We spent our honeymoon from May 31st through June 7th at the Hibiscus and have mixed reviews.
The Good: We had the best room in the place. We literally were steps to the ocean from our patio door and the view was incredible. All of the people we met from the girls at the front who gave us directions, the nice maintenance guys and Toni at the restaurant were exceptionally friendly. The room was good sized and the hotel is rather inexpensive. The pool looked nice although we never used it. There were tons of chairs out in the sand for laying out in the sun.

The Not so good: Security for the patio door consists of a stick in the rail (seriously). It was rather bizarre. The hotel was pretty run down. Cable consisted of 4 or 5 channels. The restaurant food was sporadic. The hotel is really tucked away so you MUST rent a car if you stay here. They ran out of regular coffee for the hotel rooms which seems quite silly so in order to have coffee you had to get dressed and walk over to the restaurant (not ideal when you are on a vacation). On our last day we went to use the ATM to take out cash for the cab to the hotel to find it was no longer there. There was no entertainment at the bar which was closed by 10pm nightly. One night, I think a Wednesday or something, a couple sang some songs until 9:30 or so but other than that, this place was dead all the time. We frequently walked to the neighboring hotel whom had just as few people but much more going on.

All in all, you get what you pay for. If you are willing to overlook the mediocre food, fairly run down place and lack of entertainment, the kind people, nice location and good price are worth the visit.

Room Tip: We booked through Bookit and got a good deal!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found some good in your visit, I appreciate you sharing that, and I would like to address some of the not so good that you mentioned.

For the glass sliders, I believe that having the security bar in the bottom track is standard for anyone who has sliders. We always had them in our house when I was growing up, and I’ve always seen them in other homes and hotels which have glass sliders. I can’t imagine that we could have run out of coffee, because it would be a first, but since this was back in May I can’t say for sure. We would have been glad to have offered you some packets from the restaurant to your room, I’m sorry about that. The ATM is independently owned and operated and the owner of the machine had to remove it for service and replaced it the next day with another machine; however, it is their property so we can’t guarantee that it will always be here. Lastly, our entertainment at the restaurant and/or bar varies from Season to Season and changes regularly, but that’s common on St Croix. We do realize that guests like various forms of entertainment. There are some nights, however, when all you want is the rustle of the trade winds in the palm fronds and the crash of waves not too far away.

You do get what you pay for, and we do believe that for a tropical destination, our prices are reasonable for our standard of property. Thank you again for expressing your experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is the Perfect Cozy Little Island Resort...Beautiful Views...Beautiful Setting...Cool lil Bar & Resturaunt. I'm so confused by the People that Complain on here...They should probably Stay in Beverly Hills or maybe the Hamptons were they came from cause St.Croix if you do your research is not the Maldeves Island...You won't find Richard Bransons tropical Hide Away or Hugh Hefners Playboy Mansion & the 5 star resorts on this Island are not far off from the 3 star resorts Yea the Buccaneer is real nice compared to Hibiscus but the Dinner sucks & its $50 a plate...so I'm ok with the Good Food & Small outdated resort that is cozy & more Island style. If ya want Sandels go to the Bahamas if ya want a family oriented fun island experience come to Hibiscus St.Croix & leave the Whimpy Kiddy Baby Yuppie Winers at Home so they can watch The Kardasians or whatever it is they do.

• Stayed January 2011
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found our property suitable for your getaway. I agree with most of the things that you mention and I appreciate your honesty. We are pleased that your stay was so enjoyable.

Been to Hibiscus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!