“Great location! Small and layed back” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel on the Cay to your Saves list
Hotel on the Cay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Protestant Cay, Christiansted 00822, St. Croix   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
“Great location! Small and layed back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband came here for are honeymoon. We really liked it because we are not found of crowed's and we like the small layed back atmosphere. However if you are in to big places that have things like a gym and a golf corse then don't come here because its more like comfortable camping. Very clean and comfortable though!

• Stayed April 2012
HotelOnTheCay, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on the Cay, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
amygport-

I appreciate the review. Congratulations on your recent marriage! We are pleased that you chose to stay with us. Each year we play host to many honeymooners and couples looking to tie the knot at our unique island paradise. We like to keep it simple as gyms and golf courses only lead to higher prices for all! Rather we focus on the fact of having a small 53 room on a private island with an amazing beach area, clean rooms with unparalleled views...many of which have a kitchenette! Golf courses are only a short drive from the hotel.

We do hope you come back and visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Haverhill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

If I were judging Hotel on the Cay on appearance alone, it wouldn't score so high. It is outdated and could use a few repairs. HOWEVER, that's where the negatives end. Stay there, and in no time you'll see how absolutely wonderful, friendly, gracious, considerate, and helpful (did I mention friendly??) they are!! Within a day, each of the staff learned not only the names of my friends and I, but also our favorite drinks and meals at the restaurant. The food at the restaurant was quite good and in my opinion, the drinks were the best on the island! The hotel was always very clean. Most of the rooms are time shares, and so they while the updates are slow going, they are indeed happening. This place has AMAZING potential, but what it has at the moment is also fantastic! It has a beautifully maintained beach (the only hotel in the area with a beach, let alone a private one. The location is close to the boardwalk where you will find many restaurants, shops, excursions and bars. The ferry to the boardwalk runs every few minutes until midnight and is free for hotel guests. After midnight the ferry is on call so you are never stranded. In fact, they keep a mental note of which guests have returned to the hotel and who hasn't, so you definitely feel they take an interest and are always looking out for you. My friends and I had such a wonderful time and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Glenham, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here the last week of October, first week of November. That is a wonderful time to visit. The hotel was not crowded and the beach was very enjoyable. They have plenty of chairs and little tiki huts to put your chairs out of the sun when so desired. The pool was being renovated so we could use it. Our room had the most gorgeous view, but it could do with some updating. The staff in the office was always helpful and accommodating. Rudi's taxi service is great, booked the trip with them to the grocery store, as well as our trip back to the airport. The waitress Jeannette at the bar/grill was very helpful. The beach was kept very clean....they had workers raking it daily. The water was sparkling clean and a pleasure to swim in. The ferry was terrific. They were there the minute you set foot at the docks and the ferry drivers all very pleasant and helpful. All in All I enjoyed a wonderful week at Hotel on the Cay and would definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms are the 3rd floor facing the fort have wonderful views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was nice. It had a small kitchenette with a sink, Microwave, Toaster Oven and Refrigerator. Plenty of room and a small balcony. It could use some updating. The hotel beach was great. Nice for sunning and swimming. The snorkeling around the beach and cay was awesome. Lots of fish to see.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were there last week. We had an enjoyable time. This is not a 5 star, but it is private, clean place to stay. The problems we noted were not directly the hotel, but the restaurant. The cook is down right rude. The all you can eat bar b q was canceled and we were very upset. We learned a cruise ship was coming in and the restaurant had a buffet. We asked to purchase a meal but the cook refused to answer us. Nearly 2 hours later we were notified that we could purchase a ticket. We were told only 2 plates, and we needed to make one trip up there. The cook stood watching us get our food. We paid for it, and we paid for our rooms but were treated second rate to the crusie ship passengers that were only there a day. We should not have eaten there the bbq was so dry we threw it out. The second problem was the boat driver. The man was so rude that we complained and found out another guest had also complained. We are from the south and my boys say thank you in fact all four of us said thank you and hello and he didnt answer. I do want to say that Julian Peirre drove the boat was so very friendly, he was always smiling. He was eager to help, and answer questions about the island. He even looked out for my son and i one night when it was dark and we wanted cake. He watched us while we went to a restaurant. He made up for the other guys rudeness for sure.
The rooms water was not working. They checked it but was not able to fix it. It was not a problem we used the sink in the bathroom. The a/c worked good, and the view was amazing. I wqill say there was a HUGE DOWNSIDE to the hotel. My 9 year old has rheumatiod arthritis and he uses a wheelchair sometimes. This place is NOT WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY. Even on the bottom floor there are stairs just to get to the hotel. I am disabled and my 17 year old son just had brain surgery 3 weeks before but every time he needed the chair we had to carry it up and down the stairs and this is no easy task.

The water is incredible there at the hotel. It is very quiet and great for snorkling. First thing in the morning was my favorite time to go. The only complaint is the amount of baracudas in the water. THey did not attack us, but it is still scary knowing your kids are in the water and there is always a baracuda watching. It would be great if there were less of them.

We just returned home a week ago and are already planning our next trip. I would love to stay there again, but i think some of these issues need resolved. The wheelchair made it very hard. Also the rudeness of the boat driver and the cook might not be the hotel, but these compaines represent the hotel and it is a package deal being that your are isolated. Ihope this helps others.

Room Tip: 209 had a great view, and good a/c.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We picked Hotel on the Cay through an online deal. It is very easy to get to: 20 minute cab ride from the airport, then a little ferry picks you up at the boardwalk. A quick 1 min ride and you're on Protestant Cay. We had several problems on check in: no reservation on file, first room had a short in the wall, second room had no TV or phone. Third and final room was fine but the floors definitely hadn't been cleaned. The staff were accommodating, but seemed entirely unsurprised by a potential fire hazard! As several reviewers have stated: the Hotel is going through long-term updates. Several rooms were being rehabbed during our stay (when meant construction sounds starting at about 9:30 each day). Our room, sadly, hadn't been updated yet. The kitchenette was absolutely fine. The bathroom worked fine but looked awful. Daily maid service was fine and efficient, but I don't think they sweep the floors. I'd suggest they stock a small broom and dustpan, as you do track in sand.

The hotel has a very nice little beach spot with plenty of chairs, although it's close to the "parking lot" for boats in the harbor. The Harbormaster Bar isn't much but it's good for a beer or bar food (and is not affiliated with the hotel). We took a look at the pool but didn't go swimming in it.

Aside from the check-in, interactions with the desk staff were pleasant and efficient. They were happy to arrange our cab back to the airport at the end of the trip. (I do recommend Rudi's Cab service, for both airport trips and his island tour.) We had no problems with ants but did see a few small roaches (probably disturbed by the construction).

Room Tip: Check the room thoroughly before you settle in. Crappy wifi throughout.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelOnTheCay, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on the Cay, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks so much for the kind words! We're glad that our courteous staff was able to find you a comfortable room to your liking. The arranged ride service from the airport to the hotel pick-up point (available for request right on our website) is the way to go and makes for a hassle-free travel experience. We do hope that you will come back and see us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Hotel on the Cay for a long weekend over Labor Day weekend. Once we were in Christiansted (which is about a 30 minute drive from the airport), it was very easy to get to the ferry and to the hotel. The ferry picks up passengers on the pier in front of the white gazebo at the yellow Christiansted fort. The ferry driver will see you standing there and come pick you up. It is about a one minute trip from the pier to the cay. Once you arrive at the cay, it is a very short walk (about 1 minute) to the lobby. The staff was helpful, but we did have a few problems, which I will explain further below. However, although there were "problems" all of them were resolved.
We were first assigned to room 311, which faces the beautiful fort. However, after being in the room for about 20 minutes, the AC was not cooling down the room. We called down to the lobby, and the lady working said we could switch rooms, and she brought us up the key. We switched to room 303, where the AC worked much better. This room looks out to the east, so we were able to wake up to beautiful sunrises each morning. Of course, the curtains can be closed to block out the sunlight.
The rooms were basic, and in need of some updates. However, the beds were comfortable, and pretty much all we did in the room was sleep and shower, so I don't really care too much about what the furnishings looked like.
Our second problem was trying to figure out how to get coffee for the in-room coffee maker. When we first checked in, I asked about getting coffee, and was told that "they" are supposed to refresh it each day (I don't know who "they" are), but I could buy individual packets at the store on the cay if I needed some. The next morning I went down to the lobby and asked a new lady how to get coffee in the room. At first she started to say that RCI guests are required to buy coffee from the store, but then upon realizing that we were not RCI guests, she went into a back room and brought out 1 packet of coffee for each day we would be staying. There was no sugar or creamer provided. I did go to the store to ask if they had a small carton of milk or creamer, but all they had was a quart of milk..... not what I needed for a 4 day stay.
The grounds of this place are really in need of some upkeep. This could really be a beautiful place. The beach around the area is very nice, and provided some very nice snorkeling toward the northern end of the cay. The store is very convenient, and the restaurant on site had good food. We did have some problems at the restaurant, but since I have read other people's reviews and see that the restaurant is separately owned from the hotel, I will not write about those issues here. There is a pool at the hotel, but we never used it. I'm not even sure if it was clean or filled with water, because it is behind a gate, and we never bothered to look.
The last problem we had here was the inventory that you are required to do in your room when you check in. They give you a list of items that you should check to see if they are in your room, along with prices you will be charged if the items are missing at the end of your stay. When we did the inventory, we were missing an iron and a dish rag. I circled these items on my sheet and brought it down to the lobby. The receptionist said that she would bring up an iron the next day, but we never received the iron. I didn't need an iron though, so that wasn't the problem. I had to ask about it when we were checking out to be sure we didn't get charged for it. They did have the paperwork, and everything was fine, but it seems that they management could charge people for these "missing" items if they're not diligent about asking about them.
All in all, our stay here was pleasant. It was a perfect location for a quiet island vacation. I would definitely return, but hopefully the owners will get this place into better shape, to make it into the gorgeous resort that it could be.

Room Tip: Before you settle into your room and start unpacking, make sure your AC works!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review here on TA. As a top contributor, a lot of readers value your feedback.

Our staff goes out of their way to ensure your satisfaction. I'm reassured to read that they were able to supply you with your requested coffee in a prompt manner. The ownership group is committed to maintaing our facilities and we are anxious to show you our progress the next time we have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Resort
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#1 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 941 reviews

Been to Hotel on the Cay? Share your experiences!