“It's the islands, mon ... but we see improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Medina, Ohio
“It's the islands, mon ... but we see improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Our family spends its Christmas holidays on St Croix. We favor the island because it lacks the commercialism of St. Thomas, the crowds of St. Maarten, the pretentiousness of St John. We favor the East End because of the prevailing winds, the beautiful white sand beaches, and the (usually) predictable weather.
Staying at the Divi over the past several years, we have experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly. The physical plant is - like the rest of the island - not always dependable. The facility is right on the beach - Hurricane Hugo devastated it in 1989 - and this fact alone accounts for the challenges of upkeep and maintenance. You can't beat the location ... the beach is a gem and well maintained. The waters are gorgeous. The view is spectacular. If you are looking for entertainment and night life, go to Vegas. We are not big casino people but I suspect that would not change my opinion. But for re-creation, the Divi can't be beat: read, sun, drink rum, visit with friends and family, even get to know your significant other.
The people: Edmund, Anne Downs, Steven, Scott, Andrea, the housekeepers Ann Marie and Lucy, Marlon Brando (real name!), Elizabeth, Donna and Kirk at the cafe are the reason we keep coming back. Sean at the beach shack pays attention to its upkeep.These are good people who work very hard under trying circumstances to provide a good experience for patrons who are willing to be patient and overlook some failings - this is not a Taj hotel. But it doesn't profess to be one. I like the new general manager, Andreas, and, because of his island roots, hope that he will outlast his predecessors. Kevin Jackson seems to be a good fit as his assistant. Owner Brad Whitmore (sp?) seems to have a good man in Andreas at the resort now - the resort can sometimes play second fiddle to the (more profitable) casino. Advice? Be kind, respectful and patient and you will be treated very, very well.
Food services have improved this year. Andrea who supervises Big Al's beachside bar and cafe has raised the bar - no pun intended. It is reasonably priced for the island and satisfying if not always nutritious. The Mahi Caesar salad - assuming the mahi is reasonably fresh - is an excellent choice.
I personally would like to see some investment in the exercise room - hard to know what works when those of us who like to keep to our commitment even on vacation try to get a workout. Don't be taken in by the "fully equipped" workout facility of marketing copy.
Advice? Rent a car - the island has Hertz, Avis, Budget as well as the locally owned Centerline and Ace/Olympia. Taxis are very expensive and charge by the head.
Caveat? The resort is initiating an "all-inclusive" plan, details of which are vague. It is not clear how this may impact the experience. However, with "decent" restaurants on the East End - Duggan's, Cultured Pelican, the Galleon, South Shore Cafe, Topside - being captive to the Divi kitchen may not be an advantage.
Bottom line - we'll be coming back because of the beach, the water, the staff people, and the everlasting hope that this year's experience will be better than the last. We have made great family memories on St Croix and it is now spreading into new generations. We stayed at what is now the Divi Carina Bay when it was a Best Western - the Grapetree Beach Hotel - in 1985. Much has improved but the attachment to sense of place is the constant.
PS - Tito and Sue stage their crab races on Wednesday evenings, a cultural institution on the island.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
athens, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I spent five days with my family at the Divi. It is not the glitziest hotel, but one that I really found to be very comfortable. The staff was pleasant enough and always very attentive when asked. Though unless you are looking for help, they tend to leave you alone - which some may not like based on other reviews. The standard rooms are a little bit older than I was expecting, but still upkept nicely. Would stay here again - though I don't know how the all inclusive nature of the resort will change the overall experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I arrived about 5 pm to check in. Not the most friendliest staff to greet you. When we got to our room on the bottom floor the sliding glass door was super hard to open. The a/c was not working correctly. My wife and I went up to the front desk and they said they would move us to another room. Being this is off session for them they had about a 30% occupancy. My wife and children were all starving after a long day of flying. After a wait of 45 minutes waiting in the lobby, I was VERY frustrated and told my wife. "Lets go to another hotel". She said let's give them a little longer. I went down to the bar and that's where I met Scott the bartender. I vented to him about our problems and he made some phone calls and within 15 minutes we finally had our room.
Why would a large resort like this not have multiple rooms available? Almost every room seemed to have some kind of problem.
After this event I must say our stay was much better.
My hat is off to Scott the bartender and the food manager. They were absolutely fabulous during our entire stay. We rented a car and Scott told us some places to see on the Island.
Most of the staff is very friendly I must say, but as a business owner that deals with the public every day, employees like Scott are extremely hard to come by. He went above and beyond to make sure our stay was one to remember. Every night I went to the bar, he always had a smile on and always had a great attitude!
I would think the resort manager would be walking the property multiple times of the day to insure the guest are happy, but I guess not.
After knowing the ins and outs of this resort, I would go back.
Oh, definitely rent a car ($50 a day) The taxi fares are outrageous.
Overall after our bad experience the first night, we had a good stay. I would rate this resort 3 stars.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
baton Rouge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

My husband and I went for 3weeks.If your looking for service with a smile don't even go to St . Croix least not even the Divi. I can count on less than one hand the people that cared about our stay.The workers are rude and don't care if they help you are not.The room was clean,but the pillows are horrible, I had to use my one that I use on airplanes.
The hot water, you had to let it run at least 5 min. or more to get any.They need ceiling fans in rooms and balcony.I saw the maid use the same broom to scrub the toilet,scrub
the tub, and sweep the floor Grosssss!. Take a shower!!. The location is great and safe.The amenities are standard we only used the outdoor ones. I liked the beach not crowded .The least thing I liked was the nats very very bad especially if there was no wind at all make sure you bring alot of repellent with you town and hotel do run out you willlll need it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Tinley Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We just got back from 4 nights at Divi. We went to attend a wedding. The rooms were clean and nice. Not super luxurious but sufficient for the price. Housekeeping does a nice job. Before we leave I always allocate $10.00 an night in individual envelopes for tip. Each day I leave one out. I can appreciate someone working hard and all day to clean other peoples rooms. Liked the hotel alot. Did a little kayaking, gambling and drinking, thanks to Scott. Had a great time. Wedding at the hotel was beautiful. They did a good job decorating. Had pizza at the East End. Would reccommend this hotel in a minute. Plan to go back again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I have stayed at this resort numerous times and have always enjoyed every single aspect of it. The food is fantastic, the service wonderful, the staff extremely gracious and accomodating, the rooms absolutely superb, the beach is wonderous - and we always rent a car and travel the wonderful, bumpy roads and go all over the island acting like islanders on a remote island - fun. I love driving the left side of the road and find I actually drive better! We never really watch television, and, in fact, I wish someday the staff takes them out of all the rooms - who wants to watch TV when you can sit on their gorgeous beach, day or night, gazing out over the most beautiful water anywhere?? God bless these wonderful islanders who work so hard, live so meagerly and try desperately hard to accomodate so many - especially those tourists who find it OK to act disrespectful and rude when you travel to remote destinations from America.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We (my partner, myself and our friend) stayed there over the Thanksgiving holiday. The front desk was very welcoming, the staff was cheerful.
Food was excellent, the Mahi Mahi was wonderful.The ceasar salad was great too.The Pizza shack was fantastic. The downstairs bar is the best.
Must make a special mention for Curt ,Scott and Dave. These bartenders were by far the best bartenders I have had. They made our visit even more enjoyable. Also a shout out to Marlow and Lorenzo.Thanks guys!
I have to say if you are looking for a relaxing vacation and you dont want to leave the resort, this is perfect. It does shut down a little earlier than I would have liked. We are in our thirties and would have liked something to have stayed open a little later than 10. But if you're looking for a party, maybe try a different island. Shopping was nice and
The snorkeling was good too. Saw some great sea life.
But all in all the view is gorgeous, the staff and room was great. Would definately recommend to anyone wanting to relax and unwind.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!