“Loved the Divi Carina” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
“Loved the Divi Carina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

I just got back from a 5-night stay at the Divi Carina Resort in St. Croix, USVI. I had a WONDERFUL time. The staff treated us like family. The view from the hotel room was worth the trip. You're right on the water and it's simply gorgeous. The rooms were comfortable, beautifully decorated, and equipped with tvs, microwaves, small refrigerators, etc. Also, the Divi is located in a perfect spot, on the East side of the island. It's away from other resorts and the countryside is gorgeous. It's not far from Christiansted or the airport.

I admit that when I read other reviews of the Divi before my trip, I was a little hesitant about going. That all changed once I got there and saw the place.

Remember that when you go to the Caribbean, you're on what my friends and I began to refer to as "island time". So, leave behind the hustle and bustle of the USA, where we expect everything to be done yesterday. Once you do that, you'll enjoy yourself. Also, if you find something that you don't like at the Divi, by all means, speak up. We did when it was necessary and we were accommodated appropriately.

My friends and I fell in love with the Divi and are planning to go back next year!!!!

• Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2005

Were do I begin? Should I start with being yelled at for ordering from the ala Carte menu at breakfast, or the woman that deliberately gave my husband change for a ten when he clearly had given her a twenty and then she created a scene to get us to back down. (this happened twice) How about the crab races that are rigged, (the two bartenders and their friends won all the prizes,) or the front desk person who told us that there was no elevator and we passed it as we were going to our room. Or extreamly rude responses to very simple requests for cream for the coffee or another napkin, I wondered at times if the eye rolling, tsking, and tooth sucking responses was a cultural thing. Most exchanges with the employees were extreamly uncomfortable. Don't waste your time on Buck island. the "reef" looks like a pile of black alge covered rubble with hardly any fish, the snorkeling was better on the west side of the island and it didn't cost $50 dollars per person. For an Island that puts so much effort into attracting tourists, they have a lot of work to do to get the locals on the same page.

• Stayed September 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2005

We went down to celebrate my husbands birthday. Prior to our arrival I contacted the hotel to have wine and cheese waiting for us in our room. They did in fact have the wine and cheese, but no glasses or cork-screw?!?
When I contacted the front desk it took all but 1 hour for the glasses and cork-screw to arrive - Island time!!! On a positve note, the room in the
West wing was georgeous. We were completely impressed with the size of the room, the privacy and cleanleness of the room. Stay in the West wing when you request your room. The common areas of the hotel were perfectly annouinted. Yes, the roof leaks hear and there but the resort staff makes up for the problem with free drinks and relocated music.
The layout of the property is ideal and I cannot think of a single change that I would make. Rent a car when you are in St. Croix. The island is definately worth seeing and cabs are simply just too expensive. A rental car is FUN. Go have drinks at the 'Deep End Bar', one night. This is a local hangout and just the right atmosphere for a relaxing time. Buy your
Hook bracelets at Sonya's. She is the original desinger and the quality is
supburb and the prices just right. Buy from the best. St. Croix is not a
tourist destination, it is a locals spot. Visit Cane Bay Dive shop for local
diving. Beach diving is a must. Have lunch at Rumrunners and dinner at Kendricks or Tivoli Gardens. If you want to take rum back to the states, stop at the local grocery store, Peblos, it's cheapest there. St. Croix is a place to relax and live like the locals. Enjoy and don't forget that life is differtent here!!!!!

• Stayed October 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2005

We just returned from a 9 day stay at the Divi and we could not have been more disappointed. The resort is in dire need of repair i.e. leaking roof, daily water loss, air conditioning not working in rooms, etc. In addition to the repairs, the staff is the most rude, non-responsive staff we have ever encountered. The grill downstairs is so slow (1 hour to get a quesadilla) and unfriendly. The bartenders are more interested in serving their local friends than they are the people staying at the hotel. Rude, disinterested personnel at the front desk.

There are a few better kept, customer-oriented resorts on the island. It's worth looking elsewhere! You'll be very disappointed here.

• Stayed July 2005
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

My fiance and I recently spent a week at the Divi Carina and had a wonderful time. Overall the room was very comfortable and the service was great. We were right on the beach with a beautiful view of the ocean. Both of us are divers so we spent a lot of time in the water. The island is a great place to go scuba diving. We were swimming right off of the beach at the hotel when we saw two spotted eagle rays! We also spent time touring the island and on more than a few occasions when we were returning to the hotel in the evenings we stopped off in town at this food truck, which had a great selection of local foods. Highly recommended. My only regret is that we didn't have more time to spend on St. Croix. We have already made plans to return at the end of the year for a second vacation and we will be staying at the Divi once again.

Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2005

We just returned from a week stay (7/13/05) at the Divi and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The pictures make it seem lovely yet, they have so many issues I can't even begin to tell you all of them. The rooms are spacious enough but, are not maintained well. In the bathroom, there was a hole in the sheet rock where a towel rack had been pulled out and not replaced. The lighting is above the wash basin and there is no light to see when showering. The air conditioner was so loud and sputtered everytime it shut down making us wonder if it would come back on. The rooms have a slight mildew odor. The arcade room did not have a single working game. The workout room also had three broken pieces of equipment. Of the five hammocks, two had huge holes in them so they were not even usable!

Food selection was horrible and there is not a children's menu available. One evening we were greeted at the bar cafe with "seven items on the menu are not available tonight" and I was told on Sunday evenings the restaurant is closed. The service was horrible at best. You literally had to ask for someone to take your order. I'm well aware when you are on vacation you are on "island time" however, this was ridiculous. This hotel is not near any other dining and you must have a car to get anywhere. A cab ride for two to Christianstead costs $40 round trip and if you are traveling with children you are looking at $80 cab just to go to dinner!

I have traveled extensively to the Carribean - Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, St. John, Jamaica, etc. and I have never stayed at a hotel with such a total lack of overall maintenance. They have the ability to actually offer a really nice stay but, they simply do not put the customer first and really don't care. A wedding was held on Saturday on one of the decks. They did not remove the chairs, flowers, or aisle runner for three days! It's really such a shame because it does have potential. Also, be prepared to leave a $25 deposit to check out beach towels (half are old and faded) and an additional $200 deposit for incidentals. I know I'm not the only one complaining because I spoke with another woman while there with a party of nine that was so disappointed she contacted her travel agent and moved to the Buccaneer. Just be forewarned it's not up to par... The island is beautiful and the water is perfect just don't stay at the Divi.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2005

We stayed at the Divi for our Honeymoon. We had an ocean front room, it was very clean and nicely decorated in Island colors. The food was excellent in both the cafe and restaurant. The pool area was neat and clean. The beach was beautiful, there were many places to relax under the palms or out in the sun. The casino was very nice also, complimentary drinks while you tried to win at the slot machines or video poker. The staff in the hotel as well as the restaurants and casino were very friendly. We are planning to return for our 5 year anniversary, if not sooner!

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!