“End of Summer Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Michigan
“End of Summer Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The hotel is well maintained (clean but outdated) and the food choices and quality is excellent... The staff however, is not all friendly and they are not outgoing or eager to please the guest. Some of the front desk staff and gift shop staff (Marjo) were excellent and very helpful. The pool is well kept, the beach is nice to sit at, however, there is a lot of seaweed and the water sports (kayak, snorkeling, etc.) a bit tough as the currents are present.

One thing we found out the hard way is that the hotel runs on it's power source. On our last morning, the power went out and it was hours before it was restored. Sadly, I don't know when it was restored as we left at 6 am for the airport... I woke up at 2 am when it went out so I know it was out for at least 4 hrs. Not having power affected the water supply and the hotel had no emergency lights and or options to illuminate hallways, rooms, etc. creating a dangerous setting and unpleasant environment trying to get ready for a flight. I asked for a flashlight and it was not working properly. This was a bit of a concern for me as there was not a plan from the hotel. I doubt we will be back to this property but for an all inclusive experience, you almost have no choice if you want to be in St. Croix.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the sea...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to share a review with us. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during the power outage. We also thank you for your patience and understanding as we worked through this matter. We know you have a choice in staying with us and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit.

It is feedback like this that lets us know that while we are on the right track, there are some areas that could use some improvements. We take all comments and compliments seriously and share them with our staff. Marjo and the Front Desk team will be delighted to learn that you enjoyed their hospitality.

Thanks again for sharing.

Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Back for our 3rd year in a row, it was as pleasant this time as it was on our 1st and 2nd visits. The staff is always friendly, it's very easy to start a conversation with anyone who works there. Many of the staff we recognized from our previous visits, and it's always nice to see a familiar face. Wanda on the front desk is very helpful if you have any questions or concerns. The resort is not the newest but it is clean and if you have a problem in your room, they look into it immediately. When we found the bathroom sink in our room had a leak we went to the front desk to report it and before we could get back to our room there was a maintenance man working on it already! It's a laid back atmosphere, perfect to savor the island breeze and just unwind. Rent a car as it is on the east end of St. Croix and a bit of a distance from Christiansted, also you can take the snorkel equipment (if you're all inclusive) to one of the many other beaches on the island. Off the Divi beach you will see various species of fish, stingrays and starfish. The beach does accumulate seaweed as it is on the south side of the island with the current washing into the beach, however the staff cleans it up each day in the early morning hours before guests are up. The restaurant food is always delicious with different themes each day, and the hostess comes around at breakfast to greet everyone and make sure everything is to your liking. There's a pizza "hut" (not the restaurant chain) on property that offers cocktails, specialty pizzas and a small menu if you have the munchies. If you get hungry after the restaurants have closed the Divi Casino across the street offers food during operation hours. At the resort, there is various nighttime entertainment suitable for all ages including families with small children. Entertainment is also offered at the resorts' casino. We've never had any problems with having reservations made for us, attitude from the staff, poor housekeeping or lax service. A few families with children were there on our last visit and I didn't hear any negative remarks about anything from them. If you want to relax and enjoy "island time" this is the place. If you want to party like there's no tomorrow and be pampered, you're in the wrong place. I'm sure we'll be going back for a 4th visit.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have doors directly to the beach but they also have people walking by them. We p...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing a review of your trip. It's always a pleasure to have return guests. Reconnecting with friends every year and creating new memories is why we try to personalize every visit. This being your 3rd visit and already planning a 4th really says a lot about the friendships you've made over the years.

Thanks again for sharing your glowing remarks.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Thank you for reviewing Divi Carina Bay Resort & Casino
EditShare
Divi Carina Bay Resort & Casino
Hated it
Let me begin by stating that I do understand off season and what that means to a resort. Not to mention I understand the economy now in St Croix. However with that being said I had one of the most horrible vacations I could remember. And mind you this was on the end of a 14 day vacation for me which started in Atlantic City NJ, then off to Ocean City MD, with my final destination being St. Croix. And its sad to say this was the worst beach I visited in this time frame. At the Divi St. Croix coral reef/seaweed washed upon the beach and made it disgusting. After complaining to Andreas the hotel manager nothing was done. Oh I should mention that they had a diesel fueled machine on the beach every morning which seemingly was picking up the debris only to back the machine up and re deposit the debris back into the ocean. Cant see how that was cost affected or relevant because by the end of the day it was right back washing up on the beach, not only unappealing but unusable. However that wasn't the worst part of my stay. The Divi St. Croix being one of the only all inclusive hotels on the island should treat their guest with more respect. My trip began with me being shoved aside with barely my all inclusive band. Once my credit card was taken for the all inclusive fee of 2,170 plus 50.00 deposit I was dismissed so a white guest could be checked in. I wasn't told about the orientation which would give me info of my all inclusive package but i wasn't even told something as simple as I was to receive and use a towel card to get and return pool towels to be used on the facility. One of the things Divi St. Croix does is give away beach bags I found that out because I asked another guest where they got theirs cause I didn't see them in the gift shop. Speaking of the gift shop that serves as the concierge desk was also disturbing. They couldn't even be to bothered to register me for an on-sight event. I understand the reservations are required because these events are open to the public at cost. However what i didn't understand is why at 9 am when i called to do so I'm told I don't even have my paperwork yet so you must call again. Breakfast was soon to be over you would think the business office would be ready for work as well. "Island Time". The service was something else that needs attention, one day I sat at a table for 15 maybe 20 minutes waiting to have my order taken for lunch. When we tried getting a wait staff we were told to relax we were on island time. Ok we got that and began a patient campaign however when on another day we order food and drinks the food arrived before the drinks and when asked about the drinks upon receiving our order it took another 20 minutes to get 2 ginger ale can sodas which of course by then my food was cold because I had planned on taking the food to my room. The food was bagged and all but it still took 20 minutes to get the drinks. Final insult no cutlery was in my bag which meant I had to walk all the way back dockside to get forks so we would attempt to eat the soggy nachos, cold mozzarella sticks and a philly cheese steak. Yes some things were able to be salvaged because we had a microwave, but waiting and watching us be passed by while they fell all over the Caucasian guests was unacceptable. As I stated before I understand the off season and I understand nothing will ever be perfect but what I don't understand is that you have managers on site that only placate people your facility is doomed. I personally will never return and I know for sure at least 5 other guest I spoke with while on the resort wont either. How said is it that guests bonded with one another over how poorly we were being treated. For me I will chuck it off to a bad vacation, however when you have individuals such as Marsha, whom I met who has bone cancer and was given a year to live wont have the opportunity to relive an island experience, not to mention the married couple that arrived the day before my departure on their honeymoon. Those things you can't get back. One cannot redo those memories especially if its your bucket list your trying to fulfill. My hope is just that she has another opportunity to fulfill what she didn't get at your facility. I'm not sure especially if Andreas is any representation of what management management thinks about guests complaints and what they're willing to do. But this will be my RCI review as well as my Trip Advisor review. Which will include photos, which it is my hope to deter from your St. Croix facility. Thank you for your time and attention in this matter. Sincerely, Unhappy Divi St. Croix Guest (7/19-7/26))

Room Tip: WIFI you can only get in the lobby and once they get your $2170 all inclusive fee you will be lucky...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay. We are surprised to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay; especially since we were under the impression that you had a great time here. We aren’t sure how you can say that the stay neglected you when some members of our staff brought you fruits from their trees at home and loaned you their cellphone to make a call that you wanted to make during karaoke night. We treat each of our guests with respect and many of members of our staff create lasting friendships with guests regardless of race, preference, or any other factor. We are sorry to hear that you felt as though there way any type of discrimination against you. The bride and groom have already posted a review so they speak for themselves. Marsha and her sisters left telling us that they would be back and they enjoyed their visit. They voiced their concerns about the seaweed and we were able to explain to them that we are working on the beach cleanup but there was nothing that we could really do to prevent the seaweed from drifting unto our shores. This seaweed does not come from the beach here in St. Croix. In fact, it comes from the Sargasso Sea near Bermuda. We explain this to all of our guests that inquire about the seaweed and apologize if this was not clear in our communications.

We do cleanup our beach from the seaweed as best as we can despite what you are saying in your review. Because the seaweed is coming to shore via long distance, there is no way we could tell how much or how little we will have. We also cannot ascertain how many times per day we would need to clean the beach and do not want to interrupt the guests who are enjoying the sandy areas by driving a beach cleaner between them. While it may appear that we are depositing the seaweed into the ocean, please be assured that this is not what was taking place. Certain areas of the beach are harder to clean than others and so we have created a system to get to those areas using the wave motion of the ocean. This pushes the seaweed back out so that it could land on shore in a more reachable position.

Anyone around property would be happy to assist you with a concern or at least point you in the direction of where your concern can be addressed. We apologize if things did not seem to go as you would have liked it to go but we were under the impression that you were having a great vacation. We hope that you and Sharon were able to take away fond memories of the times you shared while here.

Thanks again for sharing.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Our hotel view and the food was amazing! The rooms definitely need some serious updating!! The night time entertainment was nice. Limited beach access due to the amount of sea weed that continuously washes up on the shore. Other than the Casino and miniature golf course, there is no other entertainment close to the hotel. They did have night entertainment like Karaoke, Crab races, and the Fire Show. I was disappointed with the thin bath towels and out dated bedding. I was just hoping for more for my honey moon. Great shopping in town though!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea side view. The best is the one over the pool area!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are happy to hear that despite certain aspects you enjoyed our time together and that you found our food, island and culture to be delightful.

We are sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your trip. We share every comment and compliment with our entire staff . It is feedback like this that helps us to improve on our standard of service.

Again, thank you for sharing.

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Carina Bay resort. I do not doubt that many people feel that Carina Bay is a high quality resort; however, we do not agree. Because we used a time share, we were assigned to a villa across a road from the beach and were denied all-inclusive access to the resort. That said, the villa itself was nice and had amenities of average quality (including wifi, although the connection was terribly slow); however, there was no water for a portion of one day (couldn't use the toilets, showers, sinks, etc.). My husband and I did not feel that the management and staff were especially friendly or apologetic re: the water. The jacuzzi was also non-operational for the entire week. The resort is far away from both Christiansted and Frederiksted and many of the nice beaches on the north and west sides of the island. The beach at Carina Bay was small and the little sand there was was covered in seagrass (seaweed). If you stay here, we strongly recommend renting a car so that you can explore nicer beaches on the island (e.g., halfpenny beach, rainbow beach).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
As a resort dedicated to providing excellent customer service, we strive to best serve our guests every day. Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback with us. We share every comment and compliment with our staff so that we may continue to grow within this industry. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with the low water pressure levels and thank you for your patience as we worked to rectify the matter as quickly as possible.

The Divi Carina Bay Resort & Casino is open to patrons all around the island. Guests from other hotels, timeshares or even locals come here to have a different dining experience or to simply see what Divi is all about. We offer one of the most unique dining menus on island called The Rok Dinner and some of the most favored entertainment and buffet nights around the island. The All-Inclusive package can be added to our timeshare guests’ units at an additional charge. A quick question regarding the package and its availability would have clarified this for you.

The seaweed that you see on our shoreline is not from this beach. When the area of the ocean around Bermuda has several storms, many shores experience an influx of seaweed on the shoreline. This seaweed is called Sargassum and is mostly found in the Sargasso Sea. The Sargasso Sea is part of the ocean that is surrounded by three different currents creating what is popularly called the “Bermuda Triangle”. Sargassum is a type of seaweed that grows on the surface level of the water and appears to be land. Conversely, it is a floating habitat to smaller sea creatures. When a storm passes through, the once together “floating seabed” is disturbed and some gets caught in the currents of the surrounding streams. Due to the rotation of those streams, most of the West Indies have an increase of Sargassum on the eastern shorelines of the islands. We work primarily in the early morning to remove as much of the Sargassum as we can. When we are aware of a turtle’s nest in the area, we switch to cleaning the beach manually so as not to add any danger to the hatchlings if they get caught up in the Sargassum. Unfortunately, when cleaning the beach manually, it is much harder to keep the shoreline clear of this particular type of seaweed which was the case during your first few days.

Hummelstown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

This is not a honeymoon resort! My husband and I were there for our honeymoon the week of July 13th. We were so disappointed from the moment we checked in...

As soon as we got there we couldn't wait to get our suits on and hit the water.. We went to the front desk to check-out 2 beach towels only to find out they were out. They were all in laundry.. The pool was constantly being used by local children. I love kids, but the sign specifically said pool was for resort patrons only. We were also told we needed to make dinner reservations every night because locals come to eat at their dining facility. I thought all- inclusive meant you were able to eat/drink at any time?! The pizza they was awesome, but only available a couple days for a few hours in the evening.

Pretty much everything shut down and entertainment ended at 10:30pm every night! I ordered a frozen drink at 10:15 one night and was told the blender was already cleaned for the night. Terrible service, we always felt like a burden to the staff. If you were hungry or thirsty after 10:30pm, you had to go up the road to the casino.

Another BIG disappointment was the beach. You had this beautiful blue water, but you couldn't enjoy it because of all the seaweed! To get into the water you had to walk ankle deep in seaweed to get in. It wasn't until our last day there that they brought a tractor and cleaned it up.. It wasn't touched any of the other days we were there. We were expecting much more based upon the pictures from the website. I will say, the front desk ladies were very pleasant!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit. As a resort dedicated to providing excellent customer service, we strive to best serve our guests every day. When things do not go according to plan, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention so that we may address your concerns as quickly as possible.

The Divi Carina Bay Resort & Casino is open to patrons all around the island. Guests from other hotels come here to have a different dining experience or to simply see what Divi is all about. We offer one of the most unique dining menus on island called The Rok Dinner. In addition to this, some of the local community take “staycations” or come out to celebrate life with us. It is an honor to have our community support us and stand with us when we describe our culture and history to our visiting guests.

Please allow me to emphasis on certain aspects of life on the island. When visiting St. Croix, you are coming to an island that is very laid back and new to the tourism industry. As such, most of the island closes down at 10pm and many areas have noise ordinances. We are not exempt from the noise ordinance and try to be mindful of the neighbors. Carina Bay stretches along the shoreline giving every room and dining area an ocean view. Our location is unique, in that we are located directly on the beach and most of the neighborhood is very quiet. The loudest noise you’ll ever hear is in a silent room and noise travels a great distance when there is nothing to contain it. That being said, we have attempted to keep the bars at the resort open a little later. However, so many of our guests are tired from their daily excursions, that on the times that we did schedule to stay open, there was a handful of guests at the bar. For this reason, we suggest that for late night entertainment, guests visit the casino. We also offer golf cart rides to and from the Casino if our guests cannot walk or would not like to take the 2-3 minute stroll over.

We are located within the East End Marine Park which includes a large reef that extends for 60 square miles around the island. This reef becomes a shelter for many animals as well as protects the shoreline from large predatory animals. Seabeds also provide nourishment and homes to some nursery animals such as turtle hatchlings. Some of the sea life that you may see while snorkeling in this area would be octopuses, spotted eagle rays, brown sand rays, and various types of fishes.

We hope that this brought some clarity to your concerns. We work hard to share our Crucian Hospitality and love for the island with all of our guests. While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we use to improve on our standard of service.

Bucks County, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were in our timeshare villa for 7 days and cannot comment on the hotel rooms associated with the Divi. We have no complaints on our villa. The villa had a separate bedroom, bath, living area and a balcony. After completing the kitchen inventory I called for the missing pieces that we needed and they were delivered within an hour. The AC and the fans all worked in the unit. Unfortunately the TV reception was not good. I also called maintenance to fix the lock on the door and asked for a chase lounge for our balcony - no problem - both handled the same day. As expected in the Caribbean u will have a few insects and we did but nothing that would upset our vacation. It is best to keep the balcony door closed. After eating at the Divi restaurants for 3 days we decided it was to our advantage to take the "All In" option for our remaining 4 days - if u like to have a drink, even non-alcoholic drinks by the pool or beach then u must do this. Also the buffet breakfast is $32.00 pp - so it made sense for us. And the food was plentiful and good, especially the Caribbean BBQ and the lava ROK dinner. Special thanks to our server Carol - who always had a smile and to Scott who took care of us at the bar. Entertainment is as expected - steel band, fire dancers, Cruzan folk dancing and Jombie dancers on stilts. The casino is down the street and u can arrange for the golf cart to take u there. Plus with the All In food at the casino is included. A shuttle to town cost $25 for two round trip. Its worth the trip. Yes, the hotel is dated and hopefully Divi can invest more money in upgrading the property. However, if u want a vacation with the All In option, good 4 kids, filled with sun, beach, relaxation, good food, drink, and access to a casino then this is the place. The one downside - Wi-Fi is very spotty. Special thanks to Shannon - Supr Reservations. She helped us numerous times before and after our stay. If u have a problem just talk to the German manager Andreas. He is very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: For the villas - a higher room will give u a view of the ocean but means a lot of steps.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay and for bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay. It was our pleasure sharing our culture and history with you. As with any ordinary day in our lives, things simply do not always go the way we hoped. We are happy that we were able to expediently address these matters so that they did not negatively impact your visit.

Shannon will most definitely be pleased to read that she made a difference to your stay. It is comments like these that help to improve staff morale as well as customer service. It tells our staff that every effort they put forward is greatly appreciated. We know that your day to day is busy and so we appreciate the time you took to give everyone a virtual pat on the back.

We hope to see you again!

Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Resort
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
#2 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 938 reviews

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!