“Just what we needed!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Highland, IN
“Just what we needed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We just returned from our vacation today. This resort was everything we were looking for in resort for our relaxing vacation. Our goal was to simply relax and do not much at all. There weren't very many guests on the property throughout our 7 night stay which was nice in terms of not having to wait long for, well, anything really. It was quite and relaxing. 98% of the staff were friendly and accommodating. The resort was very much on "island time" which means there is not much rush for anything. We found that to not be a problem at all because we were there to be on vacation, not in a rush at all. When you just sit back and relax and enjoy your surroundings there, everything will come to you. This resort is perfect for those who are looking to relax day by day with no real strict itinerary. The staff at Divi are very accommodating so ask as many questions as you need. Take advantage of their knowledge about the resort and Christensted. There is a lot to do if you want to partake and there is a lot of relaxing to do as well. We did a little of both and loved the property as well as the staff.

Room Tip: Attend the orientation, our room 271 was perfect, call before attending breakfast/lunch area served...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed our Crucian Hospitality. It's not every day that we meet someone with as much passion for learning about the culture and history of the island as we do. It was our pleasure to share these things with you.

Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Mt Vernon, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Deborah at Beach Bum Vacations booked this trip for me and it was a stress free and amazing way to go. Usually I am a control freak about these things but I am so glad I let someone else do it (and at no extra cost to me--even got some extra perks!) I found the resort to be more than adequate. It isn't five star but we are low maintenance and easy going. My boyfriend and I were very relaxed and we talked to the staff a lot. The culture is different and some may take their reserved and relaxed demeanor as rudeness or laziness. This is not true at all. Strike up a conversation and they remember you fondly from then on. Also, if you need something just simply ask. Shenique and everyone else at the front desk will even make your dinner reservation if you are out for the day on an excursion. The manager EC will always help you in any way she can. Edmond at the towel desk always has a smile for you. Scott was a great bartender (even though he called my Bud Light "water in a can"). Sharkesha, Maurice, Elizabeth and the rest of our servers took great care of us. (Tip even though it is all-inclusive--they all have to split the 18%) The food was great for all inclusive. Theme nights were fun. The beach does have turtle grass but this didn't bother us. We went out past it and snorkeled the shallow reef. Amazing! We saw rays, turtles, barracudas, lion fish, and many colorful tropical fish. We laid in lounge chairs on the beach quite a bit. The first couple days we were there a wedding party dominated the pool area and were VERY loud. We were in a premium room in the new building at the other end though so we pretty much had the beach and turquoise water to ourselves. We shopped in town one day and went on a half day to Buck Island (the beach is a MUST SEE!) We also rented jet skis from Michelle at St Croix Watersports and she was the best!
If you are looking for endless luxury and pampering, this is not for you. However, if you are looking for good value and relaxation, you should try Divi. The problem seems to be that the owners put no money into this resort like they may Aruba. St Croix is beautiful and a great vacation though!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for sharing such glowing remarks about your stay. We are pleased to read that you and your family took away DIVIne memories of our resort. We strive to make each vacation a memorable one filled with more one on one attention and it seems like we hit the nail on the head with you guys.

Thanks again for sharing! It was a pleasure spending time with you.

Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This resort was unique in that it is a small property so the crowd wasn't there which was great since it was our anniversary. I did expect a little more than what we received....the food themes were good but the flavor of the food left something to be desired. The food at the casino was better and if you didn't do the all-inclusive at the resort, the cost was ridiculous. The rooms were just okay, the beds/sheets and towels should be replaced and the bathrooms really need to be updated. We booked a premium room but we downgraded to a deluxe room because the walk from the premium room was just too far from anything and they only had one (need to be replaced) cart to transport you to and from the room if you "really" needed it. All and all the resort was fine but I don't think we'll return even though the staff was fabulous. Such a shame since it was our first time to St. Croix.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a premium room, the deluxe room is a better value but the only elevato...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your trip but are happy that you enjoyed the hospitality of our staff. We do our best to accommodate requests which seemed to be the key to your stay. . As a resort dedicated to providing excellent service, we try to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible. When things fail to meet your expectations, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention as soon as possible so that it may be resolved during your stay.

All in all, we are pleased that you were able to take away fond memories of the island and our hospitality. Thanks again for sharing.

Roseau, Dominica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Althea at the Front Desk puts everyone at ease from Check In, she is awesome... The Front Desk Manager ensures that all of her guests are having an enjoyable time.

The location of the property gives one the opportunity to relax, unwind and even have a little fun in the casino.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing a review of your time spent with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality of our staff. It's always nice to hear when you are doing things right and it sure seems that your vacation went according to plan.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We are Divi owners in both Aruba and Bonaire. We have also visited the St. Maarten property. I've been satisfied with all my Divi experiences until this one. (Yes, the Bonaire property needs updates, but it is Bonaire.) Honestly, I was expecting better in St. Croix.

The property is located a long way from anything. This would be okay if the place had a nice beach or something to keep you occupied.

Checking in was easy and quick. The front desk staff was amazing the entire time.

We were in a 1 bedroom Villa across the road from the main property. The room was functional with a cold AC. All timeshares we have visited do basic trash and towel service daily. Not Divi Carina Bay. I believe we received trash and towel service 3 days out of 7. The unit had an ant problem (and apparently a rodent problem evidenced by the sticky traps located throughout the unit.) The kitchen was tiny, but functional. It appeared to have newer pots and pans with a full stove, toaster, microwave, and blender. This was probably the most stocked kitchen in any timeshare I've visited. The bedroom had a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was large, but the black mold overran the place. It took forever to get hot water. When you did get towels, they were dingy and stained. The living area was very comfortable sans the very stained sofa pillows. The balcony overlooked the main property. You had an ocean view but no beach view. The doors to the balcony were rotting. The tile was popping up. We didn't spend much time on the balcony.

We visited 2 restaurants at Divi. (Since we do the timeshare thing, we didn't do the all inclusive.) The main grill had a nice, but pricey, breakfast buffet. I was impressed. East End Pizza is located on the property. It was very reasonably priced and delicious pizza. I'd eat at both restaurants again.

The beach wasn't the best. Seaweed littered it. This isn't Divi's fault. If you got about 15 feet from the beach it clears up. It appears to be seagrass for awhile. We did some snorkeling and saw a huge manta ray.

Overall, if you are looking for a place to rest your head and not much else, you will probably be okay. If cleanliness and maintenance issues bother you, you may need to find another place. We have visited many islands in the Caribbean. Accommodations can be hit and miss. Generally, something special (beach, location, etc.) make up for the short comings. This didn't happen at Divi Carina Bay. However, St. Croix is the most friendly island we have visited. I'll be back. I'll begrudgingly stay at Divi Carina Bay if it is the only option. We don't spend a lot of time in our room so as long as the AC works I'm generally amendable to another stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay. We are sorry to hear that your trip did not meet your expectations but happy that you found comfort in what we provided. As a resort dedicated to providing excellent service, we try to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible. When things fail to meet your expectations, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention as soon as possible so that it may be resolved during your stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Just came back from a great vacation to St. Croix. All in all, the resort itself was okay, it had the necessities, but nothing more. It is a little run down. My boyfriend and I were looking for a relaxing get-a-way and we got it! Didn't expect a 5 star resort, but it was just enough. Rooms were clean, service was relatively good, and the accommodations overall were good. Not too much to do around the island, some tours and the usual snorkeling trips. The best part of the resort was the food. It was the best I have ever had a resort! Each night there was a new themed food night! Over all a great vacation, nothing fancy!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you were able to find the rest and relaxation you were looking for. We continually strive to provide a comfortable and friendly service. It's seems like we achieved this with your trip.

Nacogdoches, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Divi Carina, Apr. 23-29. We usually go to the Divi resort in Aruba and decided to try this Divi resort. When we checked in, we discovered the room was a little far from the lobby, etc. due to my husband's knee problems. The staff graciously and patiently honored our requests to change rooms. Edmond was so nice in allowing me to pick the room. All the staff at the Divi are very nice and will go out of their way to accommodate your requests. We did not find one staff member who was not friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very clean and were a nice size. We had a excellent view of the ocean and loved the beautiful sunrise every day. We stayed on the second floor, room 257. The stairs to go down to the beach were right beside our room. The food and drinks were excellent. We loved especially the Rok dinner. It is so delicious and we had it twice while we were there. Every bite is warm. I felt the food was always warm and not cold like some reviews state. Breakfast was always good and you can order eggs the way you like them. Most every night we had the pleasure of talking to E.C. She is great and very informative. We enjoyed talking to her each evening. It's great to see someone who takes the time to get to know everyone. All the staff work very hard to please all the guests. It is certainly laid back there in St. Croix and you have to stop to think why you would be in such a hurry to do anything there. Very relaxing. We loved the Moko Jumbies and the local cultural dancers for entertainment. I participated in the Crab races. That was a hoot! Won a prize too. They give out great prizes at the crab races on Thursday nights. As for the beach there, it is a little on the rocky side as far as the bottom goes. I recommend you bring water shoes. That would have been better and we would have enjoyed the ocean more if we had brought some. We also did some snorkeling around the resort and saw some sting rays and coral reef. Richard was great with the water activities. He's a very funny guy and very informative. Other staff members whom we thought were great were Jose, Scotty, Eustachia and Beatrice. I can truly say all staff were great. I just didn't get all their names.
We were there during a slow time I presume because there were not very many people there during our stay. But that made is all the more relaxing I think. The only negative thing we did not like is the fact the locals come in on the weekends and sometimes take over the place. There was a large group of kids one day that came out and took over the pool area. I know the resort prides themselves in allowing the locals to come there and know they pay also, but for folks that have been there for a week or so, I feel that someone needs to address the groups that come in and make sure they are not being rowdy or rude to other guests. Everyone that was out at the pool at the time, vacated the premise. I had other guests say they made a lot of noise at night and they had to change rooms. And yes, they did come and complain. I myself saw some local people come around the end of the building and were using the facility chairs and pool deck. The sign says hotel guests only. I know the beaches are public, but don't feel they should be able to use the poolside facilities either. I did go up and say something to the front desk personnel about it. As far as the large groups, maybe they could be told since they are only there for one day, to use the pool area over across the street so as not to disturb the guests who have been there for longer periods of time. I did enjoy seeing the different families there, but only if they are respectful of the other guests that have been there for longer periods. Maybe security could monitor the situation more closely.
We did go and take the Buck Island snorkeling trip. I highly recommend that. The beaches and waters there were beautiful. I went shopping downtown one day also. There are some good shops there and reasonably priced also. My favorite is the Tropical Bracelet Factory. They jewelry is handmade there and affordably priced. The owners are very nice. Also Rum Runners is an excellent place to eat down by the docks. Might suggest renting a car because the cab fares are a bit pricey.
All in all, our stay was great and we liked staying at the Divi Carina. We enjoyed seeing the beautiful St. Croix and understand why some people just go there and stay and work there. It's truly laid back and you definitely feel you are on "island time". Yes, we will have great memories of our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to the right of the lobby have better views of the ocean. Rooms to the left are close to the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing such glowing remarks about our resort and staff. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take away such fond memories.

Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Resort
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
#2 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 938 reviews

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!