“Super place for good R&R” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Super place for good R&R”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We chose the Divi because of the beach-front rooms, and we were not disappointed. The place was the perfect get-away if you want to spend time relaxing on the beach and enjoying the beautiful, clear water. The hotel was older but nice, the setting fantastic. The food and drink were plentiful and good.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the dining area…the view is better at the other end.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your trip with us. We are pleased to read that you took delight in staying with us. Your comments let us know that we are on the right track to being able to best serve our guests.

Ycianda "E.C." Granville
Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
warrenton ,va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

After reading so many varying views of this resort, I read between the lines & decided it had everything I wanted and those naysayers would not be happy anywhere ,as I have found from my extensive travels and use of Trip Advisor for information. After all, how bad can a resort be with ALl oceanfront rooms!!!
About the only part of the trip that was very troublesome was my arrival on the Virgin Islands. The taxi rates show that if more than two people are going to a spot and you get a reduced rate. So I got a group of people together at the airport to drive to the hotel and the dispatcher decided that I had to still pay a single rate .He became very irate And refused to let me see his badge so I could report him. He even created a scene at the airport to make it seem like I was harassing him.!!! I was hoping my trip would improve . The taxi system is a monopoly, so they rather have you over a barrel as there is no public transportation & rental cars are quite expensive.
My arrival at the hotel was very efficiently taken care of by very pleasant desk staff & I was off to my room. Yes, I did take my own luggage( carry on) but I'm sure if I had asked, someone would have been available to take it for me . This is not a major resort teaming with staff as many might think. It is a laid back resort for those who want some peace and quiet.
My room (307) was on the East 3rd floor. It had a lovely beachfront view & I could hear the surf rolling in...pure bliss!!! The room was clean, spacious and comfortable..no not particularly modern, but very comfortably furnished. The beds were quite comfortable perhaps the pillows were a little "lumpy" but that's the worst thing I could find!!the bathroom had a nice relaxing tub and all the usual amenities. A short walk to the lobby one way & the casino the other way not to mention the beach & pool a short stairway away..unlike other reviewers, I can find no fault with the rooms at all unless they're people who are used to paying at least triple for the same amenities.
The beach has nice white sand small to med waves , nice beachfront chairs & huts. One can have a nice walk either way . Yes, there is some seaweed , not much, and the staff work hard each day to collect as much as possible. Some parts are a little rocky at the entrance to the water but once in no problem. Snorkeling just off the resort site is very good and a very short walk away. The activities director takes groups out several times a week & provide all equipment needed.
The reef has quite a prolific display of fish and coral.
The pool is very adequate, quiet and perfect for the size of the resort. Because of the nature of the resort, there are few kids to cause disruptions to the peace. It is much more adult oriented .the best thing that I loved was not getting up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair!! Chairs& shade/sun are plentiful and few people race to the beach or pool early as in other resorts. As mentioned, there is a dive shack and a beach activities shack with scuba, snorkel, raft and paddle boat activities available.
I found the food service and the restaurant quite above average for an all inclusive. The restaurant is spacious and has lovely sea views. There is also an attached outside veranda for all meals. Breakfast on the veranda is SO nice each morning!!! There is a breakfast bar and also eggs can be cooked to order if desired. Lunch is served on the pool veranda & has a different theme each day for a hot meal. One can also order off the menu. The dinners are varied and theme oriented. The first night I had the Rock dinner, literally cooked on a rock at your table!! It offered different meats and other items.... Delicious and quite different.. There was a Caribbean night on the pool veranda with a great selection of food, a pig roast night, and We had a lovely Valentines night dinner in the restaurant with prime rib, salmon, pork roast all served up with theme decorated table and a full moon to boot...!!! I can't imagine why anyone would complain about the food.!!! Yes, drinks are a little watered down by some bartenders but others do a great job and will give you whatever you want. Also there is a pizza shack on the resort that has wonderful pizza according to everyone, I just never stopped as the dinners were all too good to pass up.
I loved the casino. It was a very easy walk and had enough table games and slots for any amateur gambler. The slots paid well enough to keep me back each night.
Activities off site are not plentiful as the island is not developed enough to support a lot of tourism . I think it is on the cusp though as I noted a Wyndam and golf course scheduled to be built nearby and ALOT of open land for development.i did take the island snorkeling tout though with and that was a very pleasant trip a ride out in a catamaran, snorkeling for about 1 1/2 hrs & a beach/ hiking stop on the way back. Bring plenty of SPF for this trip if you take though as there is lots of sun exposure. Also bring drinks & a picnic lunch. Gear is provided. I also went into "town" an old Dutch trading city. Very quaint, but not much to do or see. Several tourist shops for the cruise ships. I was very content to stay at the resort as they had some fun nighttime activities; crab races one night, Caribbean themed dances another and enough to do each evening where the activities stop at a reasonable hour. Some outsiders come to some of these events ,but it is never overpopulated .
As to visibility of the staff & room for complaints, the manager, Andreas, works in a glass enclosed office in the lobby and is totally approachable for any problems (or compliments) & EC Granville circulates at night amongst all the guests to make sure things are going well . There is no reason why people wait until AFTER their vacation to voice any complaints when they are there to make things run smoothly.
This a a great place to escape for a break if you are looking for an adult type resort. If you're looking for the hi life and an expensive mega resort lifestyle, this is not your resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing such an in-depth review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all that the Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Resort has to offer and that you did not allow one experience to determine how the rest of your stay would go. The island of St. Croix is certainly the place to go when you want to wind down and relax. The tranquility and undeveloped beauty of the island is what makes this place “home” to many of us. We know how stressful and fast pace life can get and appreciate that you were able to find that sweet spot to serenity.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Casino is run like a bingo hall...Driving range wasn't open & putt-putt golf is a joke...Food for the price, is mediocre at best, and service is awful with attitude...I am well traveled, and in my opinion, this resort is way over priced for what you would expect at this level.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
EC G, Manager On Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of the time you stayed with us. We are sorry to hear that you were displeased with your stay. As a resort dedicated to providing excellent customer service, we strive to continually meet the needs of our guest every day. When things do not seem to go according to plan, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention so that it may be addressed during your stay. Sometimes, a quick question makes all the difference in the experience you take away.

Roscoe, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently brought a group of people here for a business get away, just for fun. This is how it started out. We didnt mind the 40 minute drive to get there. We got there at about 10 PM. Just to make you aware, we did have families along and some with very small children. None of us had eaten in quite some time so we were all starving. When asked where to eat, we were ALL directed to go to the Casino as nothing else was open anymore. Thats fine, until we got to the front door and the bouncer said no kids allowed... Now what? So we sent in one adult from each family to order for everyone. We didnt even get our food until 12:30 and some people didnt even get their food! What terrible service! They knew we were coming and that there was a large group of us. Why wouldnt you accommodate that? We went to our rooms and they were pretty nice. A couple of updates would be nice. Beautiful views. The next morning, breakfast was cold, so you can about imagine how upset my group was. The breakfast was even in hot containers, why should it be cold? After I got complaints, I went to talk to management. It was like they didnt believe me that the breakfast was cold just saying at the end that they would talk to the staff. I told them of the night before and I didnt get a sorry or anything just an "oh, really?" I was hoping for a little more but when nothing more was said, I left. After breakfast, we went to the new customer orientation for them to tell us more about the place. VERY DISSAPOINTING! We learned that they dont do scuba lessons every day, only when the cruise ships come in. Also, you want to go mini golfing? You have to go find the clubs and balls. You want to do a snorkeling or kayaking tour at the hotel like it says on their website? Good luck? They dont do it when they say they will and they also can change it at any moment. After hearing this, I was really wondering if this was going to be a bust in our vacation books. After that morning however, it all went a little better. The food was pretty good, The drinks were superb. Kudos to our bartender Scotty. He was awesome! So much fun and made us feel like family. Our maid service was great! Ann Marie was so great! She folded everything and laid it neatly on the bed and just did a wonderful job. The seafood buffet...dont expect lobster or crab or anything too fancy, but it was still good. Most of the staff were super friendly. There were a couple however that didnt care and they let you know it. Check out was a nightmare. It took way too long and she was in no hurry even though your taxis are waiting on your entire group to get you to the airport on time. All in all, dont believe all that you read, call and ask questions. Listen to the reviews on this place. Nice place with some dissapoints is a great way to put it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing a review of the time you and your group stayed with us. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet all of your expectations. An email was sent out to your booking leader to notify the group that the available restaurant for flights arriving on island after 9pm would be inside of the Casino. We apologize for the miscommunication regarding the age requirement to enter the Casino. While The Links is closed on certain days, balls and putters for the miniature golf course and drive range are available to our guests at the Front Desk. Many of the outdoor activities are subject to weather conditions. This is especially true for water sports activities as we want everyone in the group to have a safe and enjoyable time. When the waves seem too choppy for easy swimming or paddling we discourage our activities staff from taking groups out for those reasons and try to reschedule the tours.

We are located on the far eastern side of the island which is about a 45 minute drive away from where cruise ships dock. Being so far away, we are not directly affected by cruise ship passengers. However, services around the island tend to slow down a bit. The scuba lessons that are offered at the resort are intro lessons which normally take place in the pool once a week. These lessons are offered by the Cane Bay Dive Shop which has a kiosk on site that could address any of your diving concerns.

Again, we apologize if any of the information provided was not appropriately communicated. All in all, we are glad that you and the rest of your group were able to take away fond memories of our staff and food. Thanks again for sharing!

Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review near the pool right now (it's pretty much the only spot you'll find a wifi connection) on our 3rd day here. From the moment we checked in I started to have my doubts, they give you these hideous bracelets that you must not lose or you'll be charged over $100. No joke. We had pizza the first night and it was hands down the best food we have here yet. The buffet has been a bust, especially the sea food one that didn't even include much seafood at all and it was terrible. No crab legs or lobster :( We left and had pizza for the 2nd time.
The service has been less then superb as this morning we waited over 15 Mins to be greeted by a waitress, today they were out of mushrooms before 9am and yesterday they were out of waffles even earlier. The drinks have been great I must say (no top shelf included though) and I'm looking forward to venturing off the resort today and hopefully we can find some great food, service, and explore this beautiful island.
We are totally regretting not staying at the Marriott in St Thomas again, it was 100 times better there, less bees too, they're everywhere here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review. We are sorry to hear that you were having a less than enjoyable first three days. We were experiencing issues with our wifi service however this was not something that we could have directly repaired as it was an issue with the service provider. There was wifi available in the lobby as well as a kiosk that could be used. The wifi came back up on February 19th. We at Carina Bay continuously strive to best serve our guests. When things are not going well, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention during your stay so that they may be appropriately addressed. We welcome all suggestions as they help us to better understand the expectations of our guests. For this reason, there is always a manager available to address any concerns you may have during your stay.

Thanks again for posting and I hope that you were able to enjoy the rest of your time with us.

Sayville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Bottom line - Beautiful property, wonderful staff and very relaxing.

My wife and I went for our honeymoon and spent the new year here and it was a lot of fun! Definitely go with the all inclusive package - it is definitely worth the extra money and you will have full run of the resort and everything they have to offer.

We are just a regular working class couple and this was our first stay at a resort; that being said we felt pampered and got more than we expected; if there are resorts that offer more that would seem excessive to us.

Make sure to ask the front desk for an itinerary when you get there; that lists all the special activities and dinner options!

Room Tip: The room was great, every room has a balcony area facing the ocean. The first floor is a trade off...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that we added to your romantic celebration and that you enjoyed your time here. Your comments let us know when we are on the right track or if we need improvements. Seems to me like we were really able to show you what Crucian Hospitality is all about.

Thanks again for sharing! Congratulations!

Ycianda "E.C" Granville
Meriden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This place wasn't the best place that we have ever stayed at; it was the employees and the food that made it enjoyable. Plus, their pizza is out of this world. We loved the pizza and the people so much, this was our second time at the Divi. We never had a bad meal and the service was always excellent to us. Perhaps, because my husband and I are "people" people, we enjoyed and was treated very well by all. We talked and joked with everyone; bar staff (especially SCOTT), wait staff (all (mostly Marlon)), front desk/lobby (all), etc. Also, the people you met were like old friends. I would say one thing about the resort.....it does need a lot of up-keep done to it. We had a couple of miner things in our room that needed to be fixed and they came right away to fix them. But the whole facility itself, needs a lot of maintenance, getting rid of all the rusted, broken, eye sore catching hardware that you see everywhere. Needs to have someone take command and add a little TLC to the place; like adding some flower beds in front and back of the rooms, especially on the ocean side where everybody spends most of their time. Remove the vines from the beach area and add sand to make it more accessible. Also, I agree with others who made the comment in reference to closing everything down by 10 pm. You're on vacation, who wants to stop partying at 10:00. This sort of forces you to go to the casino to drink or get something to eat. They need to keep the pool bar open later in the night. These are only a few suggestions that would/could be a start in having people come to or return to the Divi and enjoy themselves. St. Croix is a very nice place and the Divi could be too!!

Room Tip: The last section on the south side (closer to the pizza shop), 4th floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are continually striving to best serve our guests. Your comments help us to see where things are going well and where improvements are needed. We are doing some renovations. Unfortunately, it has been progressing much slower than anticipated and appreciate that you were able to see beyond that.

It's always a fun time to have our guests return. Return guests, to us, are like family coming back after a long time away. It certainly was a pleasure catching up with you again on this trip and we are happy to hear that you really enjoyed our hospitality.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ycianda "E.C." Granville

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!