“Dissappointing stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

You added Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   5025 Turner Hole, Christiansted 00820, St. Croix   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Walnut Creek, California
“Dissappointing stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Divi Carina Resort.
The check in was very slow, we had to wait several hours to get our room. We finally got the room and were happy to unpack. We had a nasty surprise as we found rat droppings on the bed, and bedroom furniture. This is disgusting!
We reported this situation to management right away.
We were moved to another room, and were on edge the entire stay. We met other guests that also had rodents in their rooms.
Our toilet was clogged and they fixed it.
We did not take the all inclusive option. We had breakfast, which was the same food every day.
The service at the restaurant is very slow.
The pizza place is fine.
We did not have any screens on the sliding doors, so we had to close our sliding doors all the time to avoid rodents.
There are rodent traps all over the place.
Our maid was nice, and the room was well kept. However, we noticed that the pillows were dirty and worn. The mattress was worn, thin and uncomfortable.
The beach could use some cleaning. There were buds, and debris. The beach chairs are uncomfortable and worn.
There are metal hooks in the balcony, and I tripped over one and scratched my foot. These should be removed since they are a hazard.
The property is isolated, and we rented a car.
They posted some activities, like hikes and we found out that they were not offered.
The beach is OK, and we discovered nicer beaches on the island.

There is no cellular phone coverage in the area. There are 2 computers with internet in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Though it was some time ago, when you arrived at the Resort in January, you were here way ahead of check in time arriving at the Resort around 9am when check in is at 3pm and requested an early check in. We tried to accommodate you as much as possible until your room was ready, which was shortly after 12 noon. Our rooms are fully air-conditioned. From past experience, we noticed that by having screens we encouraged leaving the sliding doors open. Which when combined with the heat of the sun and the other elements of being located within feet of the ocean or repeatedly turning on and off, puts a great strain on the units. Not to mention, screens do not prevent “no see-ums” from getting into the rooms which are very tiny mosquito-like insects that can only fly in mild to no wind.

Something that we advertise heavily is how private or secluded our location is; which is something most of our guests really enjoy. It behooves me to mention however that as we are located on an area of the island surrounded mostly by brush and hills we sometimes do have some wildlife visitors. As for this, we take preventive measure with respect to rodents by strategically placing boundaries as well as having regular pest control services to keep any animal out of the rooms. We encourage guests not to leave their doors open at night as most wildlife are looking for food and shelter this time of year. Additionally, if at all, 90% of any droppings found in rooms are from the lizards (geckos) that are present around the island.

Every morning at breakfast you could find our “Divi Melee” which is a short type of in house news letter that let’s guests know what is happening today and what will be taking place the following day. On the cover of this news letter, you would see what the breakfast special is as well as there being a sign directly at the buffet stations telling you to inquire about the breakfast special. As well as there being a bit of our local culture added to breakfast every Sunday when we offer the Crucian Breakfast in along with the traditional breakfast fare.

We are sorry to hear that you had so many additional concerns during your stay and hope you at least enjoyed your excursions around the island.

EC, Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

WE just returned from the Divi St Croix. What a nightmare. I read the reviews before I booked it but I went there with an open mind. First time in St Croix (and probably the last). Flights were delayed due to snowstorm in Boston but we got there a couple of hours late no big deal. We took a taxi from the airport since the hotel does not have a shuttle this was $30 for the two of us, not bad. Checkin was lengthy and disorganized. When we got to our room, I noticed all kinds of hair and small black bugs in the bathroom. Then burnt cigarette butts around the bed with ash all over the floor. Then a half-finished drink on the dresser. I lifted up the bed spread and noticed hair all over the pillows and on the sheets themselves. We went back to the reception to complain, they said they would clean it for us. Well, they semi-cleand it. And it took several hours. In the meantime we were hanging out in the lobby. My 3 year old son knocked over a table and the glass top shattered, luckily no one got hurt. Staff was angry, rude and told me immediately that I would have to pay for the glass. I said ok no problem, even though it was an accident.
We actually came home early as I could not stand the resort. All the while we were there staff kept yelling at my son not to do this, not to do that, not to run, not to laugh too loud, etc. Staff was so rude I have never come across such bad service. It is definitely not a child friendly resort. There is NOTHING for children, not even a kid's menu. They said they had a kids' club which did not exist.
Food was ok, although we had to make reservations every night for dinner. Service was terrible. Waited an hour just to order our drinks at dinner. Buffet nights were somewhat better. Bar awful slow. They had one bartender on at a time, took about 30 mins for each drink even though I only drank water and diet coke. At lunch, most of the time the waitress didnt even come to us, I had to get up and go to the bartender to order my food (unless we ate from the "buffet"). I also noticed that they gave out the leftover fish/meat from lunch for dinner. E.g. the mahi mahi, BBQ ribs and chicken. Not to mention the vegetables, the same thing every lunch and dinner.
They were unhelpful with excursions, staff had no clue about them. I decided to rent a car for a couple of days. Luckily I am very independent and an experienced traveller. Car rental company (Centerline) were again soooo rude and unhelpful. Car was ok even though they drive on the left, I found the roads in good condition compared to other islands in the Caribbean.We went to Rainbow Beach which was absolutely gorgeous. I did not feel safe in Fredericksted and Christiensted (or the villages) so we decided to go back to the Divi before sunset both days.
Beach at the Divi was ok, but a lot of trash in the sand including, cigarette butts, straws, plastic wraps etc. Not very attractive at all.They only had 5 umbrellas on the entire beach and they were taken by 8am every morning. So there was no shade for a child to be in, it was awful.
Pool again was dirty, esp. the one they call "kids pool". Which was not a kids pool. Broken tiles on the stairs and water was freezing cold. The sea was a lot warmer, although a lot of seaweed at the Divi beach.
One night there was a wedding at the hotel and of course the party was right outside our room on the beach. Luckily they stopped around 930pm, as the noise and the music was unbearably loud. Of course we got no warning from the staff beforehand that there would be loud music that night.
Even though it is an all inclusive resort, staff was expecting tips and were otherwise rude and unwilling to help you with anything. The only friendliness I found was at the East End Pizza staff was nice, friendly and pizza was tasty, although somewhat overcooked. Service was still awful slow but quicker then waiting for several hours at the a la carte restaurant.
I would definitely not go back to this resort. they have a very long way to go if they want to improve their services. We travel almost every month and always do all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean. This was by far the worst resort we have stayed at. I am just glad that we came home earlier than planned. Please do not go there, esp. not with children. You will feel very unwelcomed and disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
We’re sorry that you seemed to have had a multitude of issues with not just the resort but other areas of St. Croix as well. We apologize for the apparent inconvenience and frustration that you experienced while with us though several staff members tried to assist you and frequently asked about the welfare of your son while you were here. Children are always a delight to have around property and most of the staff fusses over them as though that child was their own. While we do serve several different styled buffets, we do not serve leftovers for any of our meals.

We are happy to hear that you found our employees at East End Pizza to be friendly and that it made some difference in your visit to St. Croix.

virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reading the reviews prior to our visit, I arrived at the property with an open mind and desire to relax and unwind. The staff was very helpful and actively sought out any needs I might have had, checking in frequently with friendly smiles and conversations. I wanted to tour the island, but was not comfortable with the idea of driving, and the tours were booked up. Before I left, Edmond had procured a way for me to do so with a most excellent guide. That was a wonderful surprise and an above and beyond effort on his behalf. A very kind, sweet natured Mrs. Mary D. kept our room clean and stocked, always making sure we had anything we needed.
We had a first floor room, and the view right outside the door was lovely, with beach access just steps away. This was a huge bonus to my husband who likes to limit his sun exposure. Robert at the water shack and golf course was a bright spot and joy to speak with. His smile and concern that everyone was having fun is a testament to the activities available and participation levels. I didn't get to do everything that I wanted to do while there, only because there was so much to choose from. With regards to activities, I will attest that the Divi is being proactive to make sure everyone is aware of all entertainment options. Upon check-in they provide a weekly calendar. Each morning at breakfast they detail the days and day after events to come. The fire dancers were amazing and our favorite of the week.
Bar staffing was expertly handled with a smile, even when there were many people at one time. Curt, Krys ,Scott and David did excellent jobs and gave great recommendations for new drinks to try. Nothing beats the Cruzan Confusions, except maybe a lime in the coconut after a long day soaking up the sun.
Dining centered around a theme each evening. Troy does a fabulous job managing that, with Carola and Cheryla helping to make sure everyone is happy. These 3 people were always smiling and a joy to have met. One of my favorite meals was the lemon fish that Ivan made, ...very very yummy. My husbands favorite was the steak sandwich at the casino.
A marketing line of Cruzan Rum (very big on island) is "don't hurry up". For a vacation where one is looking to relax and unwind, ...very fitting. There is something to be said for being on island time, and maybe a reason that the staff looks so young and happy. :)
We have already started discussions on how we can return, and this time bring our extended family (parents / grandkids).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for posting this well put review of your stay with us! We are happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation and are looking forward to you and your family returning to St. Croix. What a great way to give kudos to the staff that made a difference in your stay. Smiles could not have been brighter about how their hard work paid off for you.

"Welcome to the don't hurry" but how can you hurry after drinking such delightful flavors of Cruzan Rum? Sounds like you truly had a fantastic excursion!

Thanks again for your comments! We can’t wait to see you again!

Pasadena, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food was a poor quailty buffet available at set times. Made to order food only available 11:00 to 5:00 then kitchen closed. Poor Bar closed at 5:00 and bottom shelf liquor only was served except for Cruzan and Capt. Morgan. First time I ever lost weight at a resort!

We were watching the Indy 500 but because the pool bar closed so they could open the upstairs bar they turned off the Pool Bar TV (they only have one Bartender). Service very poor due to staff shortage and poor management. Place needs updating and maintance. My wife and I became stuck on the balcony after she shut the sliding door (had a bad roller and bent tract) that was hard to open to begin with from the inside. The outside had no handle and the door was stuck in the tract after I requested 2 x's to have this resolved. Room floors filthy.
I requested a room move but was told they have to wait for housekeeping to determine if a room is available because they only clean a room if it going to be used (very sanitary). Went to shoot balls at the golf range and had to wait for them to open at 4:00 and for the attendant to go and pick up a bucket of balls by hand! In our first room the A/C sounded like a train all night.
For entertainment there was a person doing card tricks for two nights, a party one night with the island invited, the shortage of staff couldn't handle the existing guests, what a mess. Good Beach though and te place could be much better with the proper management and updating.

Room Tip: Ask for the forth floor of the newer building
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on how your stay with us went. Your comments let us know where we can improve and what we are doing right. We are sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasurable experience and that our foodservice did not allow for any variety. As an All-Inclusive property, we are well aware that foodservice is an element of the industry that can’t be ignored. As a result, we are constantly changing our menu selections in all outlets, to provide our clientele with a variety of choices. Dining options vary between buffets, the Rok dinner (stone-aged cooking with a modern twist), and a bar menu. We also have the pizza restaurant that is not limited to pizza but also serves salads and calzones. You could also try the Carina Café at the Casino with its Bistro style menu. On certain days if dinner is not at Dockside the bar closes at 6pm and the lobby bar opens at 5pm which it also has a TV.

Even though you experienced a less than pleasurable stay with us, we sincerely hope that you were able to salvage a few memorable experiences while on St. Croix, and would consider visiting the island once again.

Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Divi was a very good value. The set up of the facility is very user friendly, the beach is gorgeous and private, and the food is outstanding. The Divi is located at the eastern most end of the island and it is pretty remote. It's very private and you feel safe while you are there. The pool is very nice, and the staff is friendly. Some of the reviews say that the place could use a facelift, and I guess in some spots that's true. That being said, it is still a pretty spot on a gorgeous beach. The only negative comment that I would have is that when you show up, you kind of fend for yourself until you know what you can do at the facility. Once that you do, it is a great time. Weather is perfect every day. It's a great spot....go!

Room Tip: All rooms face the water. Try and get a room that is closest to the lobby for WIFI access.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review with us! We’re glad to hear that you had a great time with us and that you found the property to be beautiful, user friendly, private and a good value. It’s an added bonus to hear that you found our staff to be friendly.

At check in each room is given a weekly calendar of events to help you plan your stay as well as there is a daily “Divi Melee” at breakfast every morning and posted at the front desk in hopes to help you plan your day. We also have a QR code posted around the resort so that if you have a smartphone you can scan the code and it will take you to a link with the weekly calendar so you can have your plans everywhere you go. However, anyone would be happy to point you in the right direction if you had questions.

Thanks again for sharing! Seeing our property through your eyes was indeed a pleasure and we hope to see you again soon.

Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here with two of my sisters in the "villas" across the street and up a HILL across the street from the main resort. It was my understanding that this is where the time share people are put.The view from up there was spectacular, the suite was very nice and the breeze was lovely. One point of hesitancy - while you mostly drive up the hill, if you have a lot of trouble with stairs this could be difficult for you. (I'm thinking the elderly, people with heart conditions or arthritis, that kind of thing.)

The staff are extremely nice overall (especially Edmund and Marlon), the whole resort was very clean and the beach was lovely. The discounted (for timeshare people) breakfast was worth the money.There are some millipedes that will probably make it into the room, but I doubt that's avoidable no matter where you are. At least they're large enough to see and not very fast!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
This is a very lovely review of your stay with us! Thank you for sharing! We’re glad to hear that the staff made sure you had a good time and we’re sure Edmond and Marlon would greatly appreciate your recognition of their hard work and great hospitality.

While the villas are timeshare units, it really depends on how you book your reservations as not all timeshare reservations booked are for the villas. While we do have regular pest control services to keep wildlife out of the rooms, we also encourage guests not to leave their doors open. Millipedes, locally called gongolos, tend to be attracted to light and vegetation and so being closer to the hillside, you are more likely to see them on your patio. You’re right, they certainly are very slow moving and if you nudge it softly, they curl up to protect themselves.

Thanks again for sharing with us how your vacation went. We hope to see you again soon.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

not sure how this resort is getting such high ratings from other people. its not very clean or maintained well. i saw a cigarette pack lay in the sand all week and it was never picked up. the landscaping is a complete nightmare...all the trees and shrubs are pruned incorrectly and the black ground cover is showing where mulch should be instead. all sorts of cigarette butts and trash in the sand. The staff is very friendly and helpful but a bit unorganized. You definitely need to be on island time or you will not be satisfied. the food was good; i was impressed for an all-inclusive resort. you will be waiting on drinks however....divi only puts one poor bartender on staff at a time and they stay swamped. so that was aggravating. overall this was a nice place to stay but SO NOT A 5 STAR RESORT!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. Your observations are greatly appreciated. It’s always a pleasure to hear when we are doing something right and when we could improve. We are glad to hear that our staff and food were two things that really made a difference to your trip and that overall you found Divi Carina to be a good place to stay.

Thanks again for posting a review of your vacation and we hope that you visit St. Croix again soon.

EC, Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Resort
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
#2 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 941 reviews

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!