“the place I go in my mind to relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Special Offer
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“the place I go in my mind to relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have been to the Buccaneer Hotel more than once with my partner, and every experience is better than the last. The resort is "laid back" but provides luxury amenities - our room was on the beach. We could walk to two outdoor restaurants for lunch, and would often go up to the main restaurant for an evening cocktail and dinner and to watch the sunset. Everyone is friendly and helpful, from the restaurant staff to the hospitality staff to the front desk. The pool has an incredible view of the ocean and you can walk back and forth from the beach to the pool to the restaurant. While I have traveled extensively, St. Croix is the place I go to "in my mind" when I think of relaxation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

691 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My wife and I went for our second visit in October and found the Buccaneer to be an amazing experience. The "Buc" as they call it sits on a huge estate off the beaten tourist track. High up on the hill is the pink main building and, when we saw it again, we immediately got excited about the amazing food, the new spa, wonderful views, the rooms right by the Caribbean, the friendly staff, etc.

And, once again, we weren't disappointed. We were in one of their Ocean Front rooms. These are just feet from the sea and ours was about 100 feet from the Grotto Pool. You have to see this pool to fully understand how tranquil it is.

Our visit was only for 5 days this time, but we packed a lot into that time - sailing from the pier, tennis on their Laykold courts, looking around the beautiful Sugar Mill, 2 rounds of golf on one of the best courses I've ever played, and meals that were outstanding.

Breakfast on the Terrace was a huge and amply stocked buffet. Everything was fresh and there was simply no way you could have room to try everything. Our lunches were pool-side at the Grotto (we were usually still full from breakfast), and dinners were back at the Terrace to sit quietly in the open air restaurant looking out over the beautiful sunsets over Christiansted.

At dinner, I tried many of the entrees but my personal favorite was the grilled grouper with a citrus chutney and coconut rice...amazing!

I highly recommend this wonderful resort and we'll definitely come back.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My friends and I visited The Buccaneer on St. Croix in October. It was exactly what we were looking for. We were welcomed at the door with rum punch by a friendly staff member which set the tone for the entire trip. It didnt take us long to get into 'vacation mode' , because we had everything we needed right there on property. We had ocean views and could hear the gently rolling waves from our beds at night. When we awoke we had three beautiful beaches to choose from just steps from our room. We loved watching the sun go down from Mermaid Beach with a tropical frozen local concoction in our hands.

The entire staff was so friendly and sincere. They went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. We expecially loved the concierge Marsha who helped us plan all of our adventures outside of the resort. We enjoyed a sailboat trip to snorkel at Buck Island, a jeep tour of the rainforest, and our shopping trip to the quaint town of Christiansted that was just 5 minutes away.

We also loved Stephanie whom we got to know every morning at the complimentary breakfast buffet. She was so sweet. She always remembered our names and what we drink with our breakfasts!

I highly recommend The Buccaneer to anyone who wants an authentic and relaxing island experience with the perfect balance of freedom, privacy, and attention. I know many of us ladies were thinking of bringing our famlies back (it was a girls' trip). We noticed that The Buccaneer has a great kids camp and special suites for families!

Safe Travels!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

If you want an ideal island vacation, you can't beat the Buccaneer for its amenities, food & friendly service. There is something for everyone : beaches, pools, tennis, golf, etc. as well as a spa & boutique. The breakfast buffet included with the room had lots of choices with specials that changed daily. The wait staff was very friendly & attentive - a great way to start the day. Our room was top drawer & close to the beach where we would have lunch at the Mermaid restaurant. Dinner was served on the terrace of the main house with great views of Christiansted harbor. The food was excellent if a bit pricey. We especially enjoyed the live entertainment on several nights while having cocktails at the terrace bar. All in all, the atmosphere was warm & welcoming and the service prompt & efficient. We definitely recommend this lovely island resort.

Picton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

We were in St. Croix for a family gathering and loved our stay at the resort. Our room was very nice, spacious with a great outdoor patio. Although the beach area is small the swimming is great. The restaurant and bar have spectacular views and the staff were all very friendly. The golf course is also fun with great ocean views.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a friend's wedding. We had so much fun, and the hotel staff really made our trip so much more enjoyable - they went out of their way to make sure that our stay was perfect. The people in St. Croix really are some of the friendliest you'll meet in the Caribbean. We were in an oceanfront room, and it certainly met all of our needs. It was spacious with nice amenities and a beautiful view. The food was excellent, with a lot of terrific options so that you never got bored with meals. The breakfast brunch was the best and we loved the Terrace Bar for a sunset cocktail. Whistle beach was our favorite - a little far, but definitely worth the walk. We thought it had the best snorkling out of the three beaches on property. Overall, our stay was really great. We would definitely return here - next time my boyfriend wants to go see the beer drinking pig!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I am a very active traveler, especially in the tropics (mexico, costa rica, jamaica, barbados,st lucia, turks, BVI's and USVI) and found a special place in St. Croix. Also regularly visit France, Italy, Corsica, Greece , Croatia, Sicily and Turkey.

Unlike many banana republics St Croix is mostly middle class plus tourists. Plus many dive sites, beautiful and scenic public beaches, mountains and breathtaking views. After spending much time in St. John and St. Thomas I feel that St Croix is my special place of the Caribbean.

The Buccaneer has been my favorite destination over the past five years, as an avid scuba diver the resort is central to many diving facilities. The ultra friendly staff, attention to detail in upkeep, views, cleanliness and quality of rooms and service that keep me going back. The golf course and walking/jogging course are very scenic and ultra manicured. This historic property and family run resort has a petigree you just won't find in a cookie cutter franchise hotel chain. The meals are fresh and unique every day at all three restaurants. Also, off the property I have found locals friendly, approachable and always willing to be of assistance. Plus, it is still the United States Territory. 800 #'s , post office and all cell phones/interet work. If you havn't been go..you will not regret it
and may be your new "favorite spot" in the Caribbean..The USVI..ST Croix..and The Buccaneer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!