“A Class Act” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
St. Louis, MO
“A Class Act”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel was a little bit more expensive than we budgeted for our summer getaway trip, but I'm glad we spent the extra money. Why?

Location is one thing that makes this hotel great. Located close to Christiansted, it's just a short trip into town if you want to get dinner or go shopping.

The beaches are really good (There are three). They're very private, so there's no need to worry about your stuff when you go swimming. The water at the beaches is very calm and makes swimming fun. There are no big waves crashing over you, so it's a great place to snorkel or float on a raft. The beaches have palm trees all across it, which give lots of natural shade and a nice serene feel. Chairs and little tables on the beach make the beach experience a lot nicer than just throwing a towel down. Food, drinks, and bathrooms are very close. Some spots on Mermaid beach are sandier than others which are a little rocky.

Free beach activities are also a nice plus. Snorkeling, kayaking, rafts, are all free and give guests a lot of options for enjoying their day at the beach. You don't even have to bring towels, they are also available on the beach.

The hotel is well kept and has a Caribbean elegance to it. It's a national historic hotel, so it's old, but it still looks good. The lobby and terrace area (where you drink and dine) are great. Some of the artwork on the way to the rooms could be re-done. It all has a Caribbean theme, but needs something a little more sophisticated to match the elegance of the hotel. There's a nice painting of Caribbean women as you ascend the stairs that looks good. They should go with something more like that.

The Terrace is a big open air area for drinking and dining. There are great tropical drinks at the bar, and Thursday-Sunday there is live music. It has nice views of the surrounding hillsides and ocean all around. Breakfast on The Terrace is a relaxing way to start your day.

Breakfast was free when I went there, and it was a great plus. You are served your coffee, water, and special requests from the kitchen, and the rest is a free buffet with a lot of choices. Having a free breakfast cut down on the cost and hassle of finding a place to eat every day. And like I said, breakfast on The Terrace is a great way to start your day - drinking some coffee and looking out at the beautiful landscape around.

There are a few options for dining at The Buccaneer. We ate dinner there twice. The Terrace has a formal (island formal) restaurant that is inside and has air conditioning. It was good. Another night we ordered off of The Terrace Bar menu, which is a little less formal, but it was tasty too as it came from the same kitchen. There are also two restaurants at the beach, but we didn't eat there.

Activities - There's a beautiful golf course, but we didn't play it. There are tennis courts and some minor things like a jogging trail, basketball net, tetherball, etc. The manager's welcome night had steel drum, rum punch, and stilt dancers. It was kind of cool for a free activity. I saw that they had a few activities for the kids like crab racing. I would say golf, tennis, and beach activities are the main activates you'll enjoy.

The rooms - I think everyone is different in their expectations for a room. I stayed in the main building and I was happy. Like I said, it's an old building, but I think they did a great job with the rooms. The bathrooms look updated and have double sinks. The rest of the room was nice, nothing fancy, but it suited my needs. We had an ocean view with a balcony, and that was nice to watch the sunsets each night while having a few drinks after a long day at the beach.

The hotel also has some more modern additions to the property. The Grotto is a series of rooms right on the water. I don't know what they look like inside, but did see that they had balconies facing the water, so you could sit and watch the ocean at night and listen to the waves if you wanted to. There are also the Doubloons, which are on the other side of the beach. They are houses. I think the advantage of these two types of rooms are their proximinity to the beach, but the drawback is that they are a walk away from the main building with the bar and main restaurant. (although there is a shuttle that can take you back and forth)

Other amenities - There is a spa and little store on the property.

Service was excellent. Some of the staff were a bit more friendly with us and some were a bit more formal. Anything we wanted was attended to immediately. Our refrigerator was broken, and they replaced it within five minutes. That doesn't happen at every hotel. Ice and ice water are brought to your room twice a day, and there is a turn-down service at night. The concierge was very helpful in helping us plan our drives around the island.

I'd definitely recommend this property to everyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

758 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife and I are still remembering the wonderful trip we had to The Buccaneer back in March. The weather was warm and sunny and the resort was practically sparkling, high up on it's hill overlooking the blue Caribbean.

We could only stay for 6 nights, and certainly wished we could have stayed more. "The Buc" as the seasoned pros apparently call it, has the feeling of an old-fashioned resort. It's on several hundred acres, has multiple buildings, beautiful pools and terrific food. We explored the island a good bit, especially Christiansted, but mostly we hung out at the beaches, restaurants and bar of the resort.

We both play tennis and there was never a reservation required. We had the sense that the place wasn't crowded. I'm not sure if that was because it wasn't, or because it's so large.

Our favorite time of day was at night as the sun set over Christiansted harbour. We tried to schedule all our dinners to enjoy the view. The open air dining in the beautiful breeze was just so romantic.

I follow them now on Facebook and it appears they have a deal going now for the holiday season. I'm not sure we can manage time off at the xmas season, but if we can, we certainly will go back to The Buc.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I brought my family to visit the island (their first trip), and we all loved the hotel. I have traveled quite a bit and stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels around the world, and must say that they have done a terrific job at the hotel. A fantastic job of blending elegance and island casual. The staff were all very well trained, friendly, and helpful with very rare exception. The food was also very good, not just at the Terrace but also at the other restaurants (Grotto, jerk chicken salad was fantastic!). We stayed at a family cottage, and the accommodations were perfect for a family of five with three little boys. The rooms were very tastefully and elegantly done. The three kids stayed in one room that had two twin beds and a trundle bed. My wife and I stayed in an adjoining room with king bed, joined by a shared bathroom, and they had their privacy and we had ours. The beaches are great for little kids. No big waves and we let them play in the sand and wade in the water without worrying. There were kids activities throughout the day, including hermit crab races (that the kids loved) and free snorkeling tours/lessons for the kids. Also, the charter boats that go to Buck Island will make a special stop right at the dock at the hotel and pick you up on the way to the Buck Island snorkeling tour, very convenient. Our entire stay was fantastic, highly recommended! We hope to be back next year, and definitely plan on staying at the hotel again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We spent a week at the Buccaneer with rooms in the main building. One of our rooms was very nice, while the other was in need of updating. The hotel is nicely decorated, but carpets in the guest room hallways need to be replaced.

The grounds are immense and handsome, certainly the best of any hotel/resort grounds on the island.

Breakfast was included with the rooms. Served on "The Terrace" in the main building, it included eggs to suit and a buffet which featured a different special each day. I would rate the breakfast as okay. The service was good, the views from the restaurant are terrific, but the food was not what I would expect from a resort.

Lunch is offered at two different beach locations. Unless you happen to be on the beach, both lunch spots should be avoided. Dinner is offered at The Terrace and was very good. The only better food we experienced was at Bacchus in downtown Christiansted.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Rowayton CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

I just got married at the Buccaneer last week. We had a small wedding with a few of our friends and family staying at the resort. Everyone just loved it. Wonderful, wonderful people, great service, beautiful water and swimming beach, lunch options at 2 different beach restaurants, great golf course, great tennis.
We stayed in on of the Doubloons which was one of the nicest rooms I have EVER stayed in anywhere. Others in our party stayed in the Main house, where they were also quite happy with their rooms and views, and some stayed in the ocean view suites. The ocean view suites seem to be under renovation, so when they are finished they should be even nicer. The Doubloons are huge, spacious, upscale,private and right near Mermaid beach.

Our wedding planner Corinne Farinola was unbelievable. I thought everything in the islands would be slow and non chalant (read, inefficient), but she was the epitome of efficiency! This woman is so organized, detail oriented, and on top of everything and a real ball of energy. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect place to get married on the beach. I was initially worried about the Mermaid beach still having beachgoers on the sand at 5:00 pm but she assured me it would be beautiful and it exceeded my expectations.

We had dinner in the Sugarmill which was magical. I hadn't originally wanted it in there, I thought it would feel too old and musty. It was the opposite, open air, breezy, really cool and private and magical..

The staff are amazing. Everyone is so friendly and helpful

I can't wait to go back here...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We've stayed at a lot of amazing places in the Caribbean, but The Buccaneer is now, and will remain, at the top of our list. We have 2 kids, age 11 and 14, and were worried about how they'd handle a peaceful, non-Disney vacation like this. They loved every minute. The friendly staff got all of us into the Island rhythm in no time and took such great care of us the entire visit that no need went unmet.

We visited several places on St. Croix and loved them all, especially quaint Christiansted. But mostly we explored all that The Buccaneer offers - sailing, sea kayaking, volleyball, golf, tennis, a wonderfully pampering spa, and the beautiful pools.

I highly recommend this resort - http://www.BuccaneerNotes.com has latest postings on what's going on there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

My wife and I just returned from 7 days at the Buccaneer. We often use Trip Advisor before selecting a destination. We're experienced "beach" travelers and have traveled extensively in the Carribean, Mexico and the US. We genrally stay at 4 star or better resorts. We both completely enjoyed our week at the Buccaneer and would give it high marks on all fronts.
PROPERTY
The property is beautifully maintained. We were first given a room which only contained a shower (beautiful, modern, tile, walk in) but my wife likes to take a bath after a day at the beach. The staff moved us upon request and the room was equally as nice. It appears that the property is redoing all the rooms on the property with tile and marble. They have two beaches which are small but really nice. In fact, after spending time in the car searching for a "better" beach, we concluded that the Buccaneers property was probably the nicest on Island

STAFF
Awesome. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Unlike other islands, we suspected because we were in the US it made a big difference in terms of efficiency. Housekeeping was great and supplied us with whatever we ask for including additonal bath products (excellent shampoo, conditioner, lotions. on line with any top resort we've stayed at) towels etc. The service staff in the resturants were also friendly and efficient. Our overall observation was everyone on the Island are just really friendly and welcoming

FOOD
Breakfast was your typical of all resorts with the buffet of eggs. pancakes, cereals, etc. You can also ask for eggs and the special pancakse from the kitchen.

Lunch at the beach bars and patio was good and straightforward sandwiches and salads

Dinner. We generally ate in the bar/lounge area where you could eat off of the pub menu or the main dining room menu. It was more laid back and more fun since there was entertainment most nights (we saw a couple of really good guitarist doing covers from John Meyer to Bob Marely). Except for one dinnner which was just fair, we ate some great things from Carrib lobsters to brie wrapped in pastry. Overall I thought the prices were fair for everything and comparable to those in any east coast city. Alcohol was varied from super cheap rum drinks(5.00) to typcical prices for a grey goose martini (9.00)

If I was going back to St Croix I wouldn't hestitate to book at the Buccaneer. This was a relaxiing and totally enjoyable weeks on a pretty island at a real nice resort.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!