“Best on the Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Shoys | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Best on the Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2006

The Buccaneer is far better than any resort on the island. Sure, you'll pay for it. But it's well worth it! Every staff member: security, gardener, housekeeping, front desk, restaurant, etc, was pleasant and wanted your stay to be the very best. ...no matter who you were.

Doubloons was outstanding! The restaurant was great for dinner with an excellent view and relaxing entertainment. Complimentary breakfast was a 5-Star buffet. The beaches were nice, spa gave an average massage, golf course looked excellent, activities were plentiful, and again, the staff was great! Don't hesitate to stay here.

Went on Big Beards' 1/2 day trip to Buck Island. As others warned, you spend more time trying to get there and returning than spending time on Buck Island. Next time, we'll try a different company.

Whim Estate was interesting and you don't need a lot of time to see everything. The Casino was alright, but nothing great.

Christiansted was enjoyable to walk around and see all the shops and the Fort. There was a lot of police presence during the day, but we were a little uneasy at night because we didn't see one!

Other restaurants: Tutto Bene was good. Can't go wrong at Cheeseburgers in Americas Paradise. Duggans Reef was good. South Shore Cafe (open Thr-Sat) was surprisingly good, too. Rum runners and Fort Brewery on the Boardwalk were enjoyable. Chicken Charlies Roadhouse in Solitude was good to hang out with East End locals.

Bill Bass is everywhere! Find him, listen to his steel pans, and buy a CD. You'll love him.

Fredericksted is ok. It has a long way to go!

Bath in "Off". No-see-ums still find you.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

Stayed at the Buccaneer May 27 thru June 4. Except for a few problems it was wonderful! In fact, better than we hoped for. Stayed in a delux ocean front room. View knocked our socks off! Doubloons are nice, I am sure, but we had little time for the enlarged tubs and did not need the huge bathroom. Our room was great! Fine size bathroom with 2 separate sinks and huge vanity space. Large room, complete with ceiling fan and table...where we ate our lovely room service dinner one night. Large picture window looking out over our large private patio and into the multi-colored sea. Just like a post card! Look at the pictures on the web sights. What you see is what you get. Great dining, though I agree with some reviews that there could have been more choice at the Terrace for dinner. The terrace is lovely, open air dining with a roof. Looks out over the property, golf course and of course the sea. Grotto pool is smallish but fine and overlooks the Grotto beach and the sea. Food there is fine. Mermaid beach is larger and great. Has beach side dining that is also exceptional. Prices? Maybe some find them high...but not for someone from the Washington, DC area. I did see some reviews saying the rooms and bathrooms need updating. Those folks must be chronic complainers. No, the Buc is not posh. It is comfortable, clean and wonderful! If you are unhappy here, or even not overjoyed, you probably will not like any place. We did have a few problems. Took a couple phone calls to get the charges for the spa straight...my spouse had a wonderful facial, massage and body wrap while I enjoyed the golf course that plays along the ocean on so many holes. The yardage of the course is less than 6000 yards, but several holes play severely uphill. The course is fine, except for one green that is burned out and was played as a 2 put max green. The staff was wonderful, helpful and friendly. Most, far exceeded our expectations and went out of their way to be helpful. I did think, of all things, the front desk personnel could be more helpful...however a cab driver told us that some of the front desk staff was new and maybe that explained it. Also, our plane leaving the Island (for San Juan) was cancelled due to volcanic ash from another island. Apparently, this happens from time to time...which was news to us. While our flight had not been cancelled when we left the hotel (and was not cancelled until boarding time) it seemed all earlier flights from St. Croix had been cancelled. We arrived at the airport without any knowledge of the delays/cancellations. I think the hotel staff could have advised us of the situation and even of what options we had for changing plans...better flights, etc.

Now on to St. Croix and a bit more about the Buc. It is near the largest and best city on the Island, Christiansted...a $8 cab ride of about 7 minutes and the hotel has several shuttles per day at less cost. It is a wonderful place to spend some time. We ate at Rum Runners and the Micro Brew...both excellent...and both right on the harbor boardwalk, which was very nice. Lots of nice shoppping...both highend and souvenior/small gift type in the city. At 57 years old, I took a scuba lesson in the Buc pool from the Scuba dive shop in Christiansted. Then for $125 I went out on the shops boat and took 2 discovery dives....40 feet down for 40 minutes with an instructor. My wife came on the boat for the bubble watcher fee of $25 and snorkeled while I was under. It was great. Pete, my instructor fromt the dive shop ( located a few feet from the board walk) was wonderful! I enjoyed it so much, I gave up my planned round of golf at the Carombola course on Friday and went on another 2-dive trip. This time cost was only $90. The time of my life! We also wnet on the 1/2 day Big Beard cruise to Buck Island and enjoyed amazing beauty and snorkling there. Austin was the skipper and was great...and recommended the discovery skuba dive that I enjoyed so much. We also went horse back riding thru the rain forest and on the beach with Jill and Paul's stables...near the other city, Fredricksted. It was excellent and the nearby Sunset Grill following the ride had fine food and a better sunset. I was surprised at the range of their gourmet selections for a fairly small and out of the way restaurant....get a table on the sandy beach. Fredricksted itself does not compare with Christiansted, but it was nice to see...I suggest you not plan on it taking much of your time, though. We also went to the casino, but it is not much, so I would not count on a typical outing there.

All said, St. Croix was wonderful and the Buc was too. The cruise ships do not come here and night life is not huge, so if you want to join a party, you'll need to bring your own. However, if you want to enjoy a lot of activities like the ones we did and enjoy great sunsets in your room/private patio/in restaraunts and enjoy the beach and the sea...this is the place for you.

Final note: at the Buc, the Doubloons and Ocean Front rooms cost over $400/night. If you can afford that fine. You can have as good a time, with less proximatey and slightly less quality views of the sea in their other rooms for about $200/night and that is well worth it if if is better for your budget.

• Stayed June 2006
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

Wow! What an amazing place! I have nothing but an exceptional review for the Buccaneer Hotel and it's staff. My now husband and I arrived on May 17th and left for our honeymoon on the 22nd. We had about 65 of our closest relatives and friends join us is our celebration, and not one complaint!
My husband and I stayed in a Doubloon all five nights and they were beautiful! Right on Mermaid Beach. The floor is all marble and there is a huge jacuzzie tub and seperate walk in shower. I woke up early ever morning and sat on the large patio and enjoyed the sounds of the ocean. Even the cheaper mountain view rooms were great and roomy. The only problem with those rooms is that they are near the lobby enntrance so you hear the shuttles coming and going.
The food for the rehearsal dinner, (which was at the Mermaid Restaurant on the beach) was delicious BBQ buffet. During lunch hours the Mermaid's menu may seems a little pricy but the food is good. Menus are pricy everywhere on the island, so the convenience of the Mermaid is nice. However, if you are looking for a hamburger or a hotdog, got to the grotto pool. It is a small menu but the hotdogs and hamburgers are a $1 or so cheaper and the same as you would get from the Mermaid.
The breakfast Buffet was outstanding. Maybe one of the best I've ever had. There is definitely something to please everyone, from scrambeled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, fruit to personalized omletes pancakes. I tried to have a big breakfast every morning so that I could skip on lunch and wait for dinner.
The wedding itself was jsut amazing. Candy, the wedding cooridinator, and of course my parents, did a fantastic job putting everything together. The reception was indoors at the Brass Parrot. Food was exceptional and the servers were great. Everything went just as planned.
We rented a jeep one day to get our marriage license and made a trip to the Rum Factory and into the Rain Forest to see the "Beer Drinking Pigs". Both great times and things I would highly suggest. On the way back to the hotel we took highway 80 or 82 the whole way back and the view was breathtaking. Learining to drive on the left just takes a little while to get the hang of it. I would definitely reccommend renting a jeep one day on you trip.
I can't leave out the staff. Probably the nicest group of people anywhere on the island! Ishaq was one of the bellman/shuttle driver and I must say I have never met someone so polite and kind in my entire life. If you meet him you will agree. The staff at the Buccaneer is always willing to work with you and please you in any way they can. We only had one problem with the staff and that was a bartender at the Terrace one night. He was eating his dinner while working instead of serving us and made a few nasty comments. But he didn't ruin or even but a dent in all of our fun!
I can't not wait to return to the Buccaneer next May for our anniversary.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at laisel@ufl.edu.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

This is our second time at The Buccaneer and we want to go back again! If you want to just kick back and relax then that's what you can do at The Buccaneer. If you want walk the trail (its about 3 miles long), or do any kind of activities then that's what you do. The Buc lets you do whatever you want for whatever kind of person you are. When the place is fully booked you'd never know it. The Buc makes you feel special even though there are lots of other folks staying there. Our room was amazing. First time we stayed in one of the Deluxe Oceanfront rooms and this last time we stayed in one of the Luxury Beachside Doubloons. The Doubloons are amazing and if you can cough up the extra cash for the room it will be worth it. The bathroom was so big you could have a party in it! You get the best of both when staying in the Doubloons - Ocean view and the back side is part of the golf course. The food at the Buc is fabulous!. We ate at the Terrace or the Terrace Bar for dinner and you just cannot go wrong. They have a variety of dishes so you can have something different each night. The Mermaid is good for lunch. You just cannot find any faults with the service or the staff. Friendly and welcoming always.

York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2006

We just got back from our wedding at The Buccaneer. Both sets of our parents traveled with us and stayed at The Buccaneer. We were in the Doubloons, which were awesome. If you can swing the price, these have by far the best location and best amenities. My parents stayed at the oceanfront rooms, which I felt were a little outdated in the bathrooms, and my in-laws stayed in the main house, room 101, that was to have a mountain view, but had a beach view and was very nice, especially for the price difference. The bathroom was way nicer than the one my parents stayed in and they paid a lot more money.
As for meals, breakfast is included so stock up on food. Everything is yummy, and you can get blueberry or banana pancakes made special from the kitchen, which are delicious. Lunch and dinners are expensive, no matter where you go. Tutto Bene has a super delicious, large, warmed chocolate chip cookie with ice cream on it. Savant was good, atmosphere maybe better than the food. The hotel restaurant, the Terrace, was good also. Cheeseburgers is good and less expensive for lunches than the hotel, but odd setting and a lot of bugs as it is outdoors in a parking lot under a couple of tents.
Taxi fares are expensive also, and it seems everyone has their hand out for a tip, to the point of being excessive sometimes. If you do need a taxi, make sure you request The Bachelor. He is super friendly and gives you a detailed history of the island. We had another taxi driver from the airport and he was very rude and said there was nothing to see or do in St. Croix, end of conversation. We rented a car through Judi of St. Croix, and they are really nice. Driving on the left is tricky only when you come to some of the intersections. Make sure you wear your seatbelt. We got a $25 fine for the passenger not wearing one, but yet they let the locals go who are speeding past you at 100mph. It almost seems like they target tourists because they figure we have the extra money to spend on a ticket.
If you go to Buck Island, go with Teroro out of Green Cay Marina. We were the first ones snorkeling, and stayed the longest. You also get to go to the beach side. Make sure you take snacks, plenty of water, and sunscreen.
And, the bugs are bad, at least to me. I was the only one who covered myself from head to toe in Off, and I got bit everywhere, so maybe Off attracts them instead of repelling them??
The casino is okay if you like to gamble, although it had a weird vibe about it. And, people weren't really friendly or helpful that worked here.
The gym at the Buc is okay if you are an average gym goer. If you are hard core like we are, it is passable for a few days. Not much weight equipment, you have to get creative.
The spa is nice, we had 25 min massages as part of our package, but I felt the attendants were trained to talk with you, and I couldn't relax. I was too worried about carrying on conversation so it wasn't as great as it could have been.
Overall, it was a nice trip. The hotel was nice, the beach great and almost empty the whole trip, food was good, not much to do in terms of shopping, but a nice place to visit. But, there are a lot of islands to visit before going back here.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

Our daughter's wedding was held at the Buccaneer. The property is beautiful in late April, early May. Everything was in bloom. It is very hilly, but they have courteous prompt shuttle service onsite. the breakfast buffet was wonderful. the front desk was helpful (we arrived early and while we were waiting on the terrace someone noticed our grandson was eating dry cereal as a snack. she brought him a cup , spoon, and a glass of milk. wow) The Mermaid beach never felt crowded with plenty of chairs and shade with a small reef for snorkeling offshore. The Grotto Beach is rocky, but it has a neat shelf of old coral right at the shoreline with lots of fish and lobsters. Our room was upgraded because we have difficulty with stairs. It was roomy but being right near the ocean had a bit of a musty smell. towels were plentiful and changed twice a day. Bed was turned down with a chocolate and a carafe of ice water provided. Nice little touches that ad up to an overall great experience. The food at the reception was very good. Would love to return again. Check out Sharkeys (a local sports bar with pool tables) for the best mushroom cheeseburgers. Crucian gold has some unique bracelets and rings. Divi Carina Bay has nice snorkeling.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

We just returned from a week at the Buccaneer. It's a big, beautiful very family friendly resort. And there's a lot to like.

They must be reading the reviews there because the dining service at the resort is wonderfull and could not be more different than what is described in some of the more negative commets listed here. I would compare it to the service you would get in NY or LA. We never had to wait for a table and the wait staff was attentive and friendly (more friendly than NY or LA but just as fast). Our food arrived in a timely manner and we were never rushed. The breakfast buffet is wonderful as is most of the food for other meals.

There are two beaches with plenty of beach chairs and a friendly activities staff. We thought Mermaid Beach was the nicer one, less rocky. We're sailors and have always enjoyed sailing in the Virgin Islands so we were a little disappointed that there were no Sunfish or Hobiecats available, only kayaks -- the beaches are somewhat exposed and can be a bit breezy so it might be a liablility question.

We stayed in deluxe beachfront accomodations and found the location to be terrific and the decor to be average. The bathrooms were a bit dated and ours needed some grout work but the room was very clean -- kept so I'm sure, by the twice daily maid service.

We've been to the Virgin Islands many times but this was our first trip to St. Croix. St. Croix is about 40 miles from the next island so it's really unto itself, more like Jamaica I'd say.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!