“Awesome Pina Coladas!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Annapolis, Maryland
“Awesome Pina Coladas!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

It's been a few years (2006) since I last visited the Virgin Islands. I was there twice before. When I'm in St Croix, the only hotel I use is The Buccaneer Hotel.

The hotel is built around the classic Caribbean sugar plantation. It's surrounded by palm trees and a mountain backdrop. In fact, the hotel grounds still have some of the old cane mills on the property. One has been converted into a small room for intimate dining.

The hotel itself is open and airy. The rooms in the "Great House" are small, but nicely done in Caribbean colors and decorations. The beds are comfortable, but the bathrooms do seem a bit worn. I've stayed in the beachfront bungalows and Great House, and in both areas the tubs leaked. Still, the bathrooms themselves are spacious.

The restaurant is good, and the food is excellent, if a bit expensive. However, they do give you a lot. I made the mistake of ordering a full order of calamari. Ugghhh...Too much! It was a meal in itself. This was on top of Mahi-Mahi. Yeah, roll me out the door! Some of the restaurants downtown are good, but at night, downtown Christiansted isn't really for the faint hearted. It's safer to eat at the hotel after sunset. There is also a snack bar down at the beach. It's worth a lunch there as well.

Speaking of the beach, the water is warm and the sand is nice, although the beach chairs were a bit run out. I did like the snorkling trip to Buck Island. The catamaran is a great way to see St Croix. Ask the skipper to point out the castle where the old Danish Countess used to live.

Service? What else can I say about The Buccaneer's staff but "Outstanding!!!" I've never had a problem with service at The Buccanneer. The manager even said she remembered me from my previous visit, which was 2 years before! The staff simply cannot do enough to satisfy you, whether it's meeting you at the airport, taking you into town, or giving you an extra towel, the service is beyond par. You don't meet too many locals in the Virgin Islands who genuinely smile. The Buccaneer's staff does, and really seems to mean it. That is why I keep coming back! And will go back.

But, there is also another reason: The bar in the Great House makes THE BEST PINA COLADAS ANYWHERE!!! I've been all over the tropics in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. I have never had a Pina Colada like the ones they make at The Buccaneer! The Pina is fresh, and they use real Cruzian Rum. I usually just tell the bar staff to keep bringing them until I pass out! I judge all Pina Coladas by The Buccaneer's. And, so far, no hotel or bar ANYWHERE has topped them!

This is simply a great hotel. It's one of my favorites.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

760 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
exployer2b
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

My husband & I just got home last night, October 11, from our second stay at the Buccaneer and are talking about our third trip for next year. I guess that sort of speaks for itself.
Ms. Maria and Ms. Pearl, at the front desk are ready and eager to help. Quentin, Rebekkah, Babylon, and Phylis are right on the mark with service in the Terrace restaurant and bistro. Marty, at the beach equipment shack, runs herself to death going up and down the beach taking and delivering drink and food orders while maintaining the snorkeling and other beach equipment. Each one of these staff members try their best to make the guest feel like family members (they actually like) and will go out of their way to help with any request. If what you need is not part of their job responsibilities, they will find out who is responsible and will act as intercessor to make sure you have what you need.
The only drawback to the resort is the food is rather pricey, (but very good) but that is pretty much how it is all over the island. American Cheeseburger in Paradise, Rum Runners and the restaurant at Cheney Bay are somewhat better on food prices (food is very good and fresh). The amount of food they serve on one plate, could be made to feed two. Cheney Bay has nightly specials.The chain restaurants we are familiar with, here in the Southern US, can be found if you look hard enough, but their prices are significantly higher on on the island than what we pay at home. Plus, you will need a car to get to them.
If you choose to drive the island, we highly reccommend renting a jeep. Many of the roads are very rough especially the road up to Udall Point and through the rain forest.
We could stay at a less expensive resort, but on St. Croix, you get what you pay for and my husband and I are not wealthy, but we won't stay anywhere else on St. Croix even if we could save money by doing so.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianpolis, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Ok, so we get off the plane and travel about an hour to get to this "awesome" resort that we read about on here. Not sure who these visitors were, but it definately wasn't a great experience.
The check in experience was ok. Very long. After traveling all day, I just want to get to my room. I don't need everything pointed out to me.
The room itself was dirty. It smelled of mold, had dust on the ceiling fan, dirt in the sink, and sand on the floor. The ac wasn't working properly so it go extremely hot during the afternoon.
The restaurants are a joke. Food is way overpriced and crappy to say the least. Service in the Mermaid is horrendous. The people sit and talk about the guests while your food is getting cold in the back.
Just not a great experience. I'm too frustrated to write more.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Just returned from a 5 day stay with friends and we're already planning a return trip! The staff at The Buccaneer is second to none. Their mission is to make sure you have a great time and let me just say, "mission accomplished." If you enjoy clean, spacious rooms (we stayed in the Great House with ocean view), great food and fabulous beaches (kayaks and snorkel gear complimentary), this is the place for you! We lucked out with great weather (in mid-September) 4 of our 5 days there and had the place almost to ourselves (good for us, bad for The Buccaneer...) for purely economic reasons -- just not as many people vacationing these days. One FYI....the deluxe oceanview rooms are under renovation. We didn't get to peek inside any of them, but I'm sure those will be fantastic once the renovation is complete. (We heard virtually no noise from the renovation -- an occasional hammer or saw every so often.) It's not inexpensive, but at The Buccaneer you really do get more than you pay for. If you cannot enjoy yourself at this resort, just stay home. You won't be happy anywhere.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

If you are planning a trip to the Caribbean and like me spend time (probably an unhealthy amount) researching the best location and resort for your family, please consider the Buccaneer resort in St. Croix. We traveled to St. Croix in August for our second stay at the Buccaneer with our 4 year old and 2 1/2 year old. I simply cannot emphasize enough how welcoming and hospitable the resort staff were to us and our children. Traveling with kids can be stressful especially when you are mindful of making sure you do not disrupt anyone else's vacation. The resort staff (they really transcend the term) were so hospitable to us I cannot thank them enough. If you are looking for a beautiful, elegant resort without the arrogance that some carry the Buccaneer is the perfect resort to book your stay whether you are traveling with or without children. The beaches are superb, we have been to over 10 islands from Grenada to Jamica and in between and the beaches at the Buccaneer are exquisite. True serenity without the annoyance of beach vendors or obnoxious wave runners. Plenty of chairs and shade to go around!
So here are the specifics:
- The breakfast buffet is fanatastic. There are local eateries around the island that we tried, but St. Croix is on the pricier end of the Caribbean and you are better off enjoyng the spectacular view from the Terrace along with a daily variety of fresh fruit, baked goods, made to order eggs and choc. chip pancakes!
- The beach side grills offer excellent lunch options with a very attentive staff- always with a smile!
- For dinner the Terrace menu is excellent. We have found that *sometimes* the caribbean defintion of a gourmet meal is not on par with what we had in mind. The Buccaneer is truly comparable with what you would find in any first class restaurant in NYC or other metropolitan area.
- The Hideaway Spa: A must see! They offer manicures, pedicures and an amazing MASSAGE! Your vacation will not be complete without a visit to the spa!
- Accomodations are incredible. The resort is perched elegantly overlooking the Caribbean, many of the rooms offer amazing views. If you have small children the rooms are a very comfortable size, we had 2 cribs in ours and the kids still had room to run around and play! The daily maid service is exceptional as well- any request was immediately dealt with, again with a smile.
- Kids camp- this was the 1st time we used a kids camp on vacation. I was initially a little leery mostly out of guilt because this was a family vacation, as soon as I saw what they offered I could not wait for the kids to enjoy themselves. The "camp room" mirrors a high end pre-school that you would find in the states. They have games, paint, crafts and all kinds of interesting activities for the little ones. The kids actually liked getting out of the sun for a little while. They offer snorkel lessons and treasure hunts on the beach ALL COMPLIMENTARY!!
- The Staff: Remarkable!! We checked in with K.C. at the front desk after 12 hours of travel (with two small kids...) The process could not have been easier, we were greeted and offered drinks for us and the kids and off to our room very quickly.
Marty, beach side concierge, was such a sweetheart. She made sure we had drinks on the beach and would even take care of dinner reservations for us at restaurants around the island! Thank you Marty!!
Cilesia and Luz were wonderful in the kids camp and so sweet to the kids.
Sarah at the Terrace (dinner) was great with the kids and so sweet and friendly.
If you made it to the end of this review I hope you consider booking a trip to the Buccaneer, no one wants to take chances with their vacation and the Buccaneer is a sure bet! You will not be disappointed :)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Boston Mass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

The Armstrong's are the proprietors of this little place in heaven and really have a great team that they work with to make it all happen... It starts with Nadia...who'll get all the preplanning anxiety out of the way... At your morning breakfast Quentin has a smile that tells you welcome just relax... Beachside watch for Marty or Suzanne...They bring your cocktails to the waters edge... Larry tends the bar and handicaps the Saratoga 2 year olds in August...Sara is one who'll make yor dinner something to remember....This is a place when we first visited St Croix 10 years ago... My wife said OOHH this is grand... If you want to relax and be pampered... the call Nadia...Go to the Buccaneer

The reason why it works is that the owners really care!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

We visited this resort for lunch and drinks while staying on the island. The bartender has been there for years and has even created some of his own drinks! We split a hamburger basket - plenty of food for two in the heat! The beach has plenty of palm trees for shade/lounging. If we go back to the Island we would like to stay there. The compound is big w/ golf course and lots of rooms. Some are waterfront most are not. If you stay at the Buccaneer and sign up for water activities, most places will pick you up on the dock they have built in the bay in front of the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!