“Treated Like a Celebrity!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Shoys | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, NY
“Treated Like a Celebrity!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

From the minute I arrived at the Buccaneer with my friend for a five-day vacation, we were treated as though we were the only guests there! The fruit punch and coffee in the lobby were just the beginning--within the first second of being checked in, we were upgraded to a luxury ocean view room! The room was incredible (and spotless!) and the bellman made an effort to show us every single amenity, right down to opening each drawer to show us what was inside (loved the in-room umbrella--it saved us on the one rainy night we had!)! Even though the property is HUGE, it's no problem--we were given maps, guides, the works, plus, there's a courtesy van that will transport you anywhere on the property at any hour (say hi to Ken, the best driver around!)! The concierge was amazing at reccommending and booking day trips, and she even called daily to see if we were enjoying our day! The grotto pool is great, with complimentary snorkel gear and floats, and we even had a free scuba lesson! All-in-all, if you're looking for a vacation on a beautiful island where you're treated like a star, look no further than the Buccaneer!

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

First time visit to this hotel. Considering the rate, they need to try harder. I've travelled abroad for 35 yrs+. Differences in hotels are quickly apparent when dealing with staff. During stay, saw only one employee smile. Room average- arrived late w/o eating all day, no meal service after 9. Tried to use coffeemaker in room, supplies had dried to solid mass and were unusable, commode seat broken, telephone not working. Probably will never visit island again but if I had to would probably rent house in Lavelle area (rental car necessary). Cheaper and highway 80 drive up mountain a thriller.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
Jensen Beach Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

The meaning of my title is more how you feel at this resort. If your looking for glits and glitter Then this is not the place for you. Go to Atlantis on Paradise Island. If you want to relax, feel the sand between your toes, Experience great restaurants then this is your destination.

I was at this resort 25 years ago and except for some structural changes it is the same. The staff is wonderful. The rooms,though older, are clean and decorated with a carribean flair. I had an Oceanfront Delux Room and since I had previous experience I knew which room I wanted. Rooms 350 and 351 are at the North of the building and are right on Mermaid Beach(which I think is the better beach).

Some of the better restuarants that we went to were Kendricks(my favorite), The Galleon, and Savant. I was dissappointed with Bacchus. Rum Runners is more like a open air sports bar type of place with ok food. Duggans is good but has a limited menu. Tutto Bene was dissapointing. The food at the hotel was pretty good but expensive.

If you go to the bar at the hotel at night say high to Larry and Ella. Nice people Tip them well. Say Don and Emi sent you.

Herndon, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Buccaneer for 5 nights in December of 2004, and we loved every minute of it. It has a wonderful atmostphere, with the smiling charm of the staff, breathtaking open lobby, warm breezes, and beautifully decorated rooms.

The rooms are very pretty and well equipped. The breakfast buffet was the best way possible to start off your day, with great service and even better views of the water. We had a great experience in the spa, though the spa itself is a little small, the staff made up for that with a wonderful customer-oriented attitude.

The complimentary rum punch or coffee in the lobby is a nice pick-me-up. The beaches are beautiful and relaxing. If you go to St. Croix, you MUST stay at the Buccaneer.

• Stayed December 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

The 5 nights my husband and I spent at the Buccaneer were wonderful - excellent service, terrific room, lovely surroundings, beautiful views, courteous, polite and helpful personnel and a terrific bargain. Because it was off season, many benefits were offered - all worthwhile. Although the room has a/c, as does the spa and exercise area, the restaurants, bars and entertainment area do not - they are open air. This is my only complaint. As for St. Croix, there must be a crime problem as you are discouraged from going to town at night. Stores all close at 5:30 or 6 and cabs from town must be arranged ahead of time with a surcharge for service past 10 PM.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

I stayed at the Buccaneer for 5 days last week with my husband and 2.5 yr old, and we had a wonderful visit. The staff were consistently professional and prompt to help us with anything we asked. We reserved a Mtn view room (the cheapest room they offer) and they upgraded us at no charge to a 2-room family cottage, which was a pleasant surprise. We got the "Explore & Rejuvenate" package, which includes the 5th night free, a free day of car rental with Hertz, complimentary cocktails and either a free round of golf on their course or a spa package. You can't beat that for value! They provide a delicious breakfast each morning on the Terrace, which has a lovely panoramic view of Christiansted. For dinner, the only option on the grounds was the Terrace which was overpriced and mediocre (although the view was incredible). Our rooms were always cleaned very well. My only complaints were that they close the 2 pools at 5 pm every day, which seems crazy to me, since there is no lifeguard on duty anyway. And the lack of dining options on site in the evening. But the advantage of Buccaneer is that it is a quick 5 minute taxi ride into town (unlike Carambola, which we visited one day and seemed very isolated ... I guess part of its charm). One night we ate at Savante, in Christiansted, which was the best meal we had the whole week. I highly recommend eating there, but be sure to make a reservation ahead of time. The snorkeling off the beach at the Buccaneer (the Grotto beach) is not very good. To see some fish, you will need to go to Buck Island. All in all, we had a great time on our first visit to St Croix.

ellicott city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

What a treat it was to stay at the Buccaneer! This was my husbands and my first time to the caribbean, and we were not disappointed! The service is tremendous, the views exquisite, the food delicious, the location, service and facilities amazing. The concierge was basically just waiting to be helpful to us. The drinks were brought right to us on the beach. It was private enough to be wonderful for our second honeymoon, yet there were enough people around to make it fun and interesting. Definitely go out to Buck Island with Big Beards! We met some people who stayed elsewhere (can't remember the name of it now) and had a nightmare of a trip. We had a wonderful time on St. Croix with the Buccaneer, and we hope to go back as soon as possible!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!