“Buccaneer trip 1/10-1/17 20009” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Wellesley, MA
“Buccaneer trip 1/10-1/17 20009”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

After much research on Trip Advisor, we chose the Buc for our one week a year away without our children. My husband and I are in our early forties and have travelled to several other islands, including Jamaica and Aruba multiple times. We were seeking peace and quiet, beautiful beaches and time to chill out and enjoy a slow pace. We were not disappointed! For comparison sake, I will say that Half Moon in Montego Bay was a nicer overall property, but St. Croix as an island is a million times better than Montego Bay if you want to leave the resort for meals, shopping, site seeing.

Pros: The staff at the Buc could not be nicer and accomodated our every request. We especially enjoyed Larry, the bartender at the Terrace bar. He was friendly, funny, and gave us lots of interesting insights on island life. Emmy, the concierge we talked to most, is the jewel of this property. Within minutes of meeting her, she made us feel right at home. She gave us honest insight on local restaurants, beaches, etc. and responded promptly when we asked her for reservations.

We were fortunate enough to stay in the newest part of the property, the Doubloons. We were in a second story room and it was beautiful. The room is large and has a huge bathroom with shower and jacuzzi tub. The view was amazing. The room is sparsely furnished and not a lot of character, but nice.

The property itself is gorgeous, with amazing views from all angles. They kept things very clean. We didn't see the other rooms, so I can't comment.

We rented a jeep and had a great time driving all over the island to see various parts. It is a very interesting island with many different "faces." Christiansted seems rundown from a distance, but is actually full of history and the boardwalk has some great restaurant/bars to enjoy a sunset and look at the beautiful boats in the harbor. We rented from Hertz through the hotel and it was seemless and we got a brand new Jeep Wrangler.

Cons: The food. Not great. The breakfast buffett had a good variety, but the food was consistently cold, and the quality of muffins, bread, fruit, etc. was weak. We figured out that if you ordered from the kitchen the food was much fresher and HOT, so that worked for us. We ate lunch at the Mermaid, and it was tasty. Good pina colada but not sure there was actually any rum in there. We ate at the Terrace Bar a few evenings and enjoyed the food, although it is quite pricey for what you get. We never ate at the Terrace formal restaurant since we weren't that impressed with what we had elsewhere.

The facilities: namely "fitness room", "spa", and "shopping arcade. Very poor. The fitness room is really a tiny room with a few pieces of equipment stuffed in there. If you are looking to stay in shape while there, just hit the jogging trail. The shopping arcade is minimal. The little store is woefully understocked on common necessities such as milk and sunscreen. The clothing store is basically an overpriced golf type boutique. The spa is just a room for manicures and pedicures and two massage rooms. I had two massages which were great, but the facility was not. The rooms are not soundproofed so you spend the whole time listening to the people in the main room getting their nails done. The massage table was cheap-the head piece actually broke off halfway through my first massage.

Overall, it was a wonderful week at a very nice resort. The Bucanneer is very expensive (at least if you stay in the Doubloons) so my expectations were high. We really liked St. Croix as an island. Ultimately the people made the experience terrific!

• Liked — Views, views, views and staff
  • Disliked — Spa and fitness facility
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Minneapolis MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

This was our 2nd trip to the Buccaneer. Everything was terrific. The staff were friendly and personable, and made sure that we had everything that we needed. The beaches are beautiful. We walked or ran on the jogging trail every morning, then went up for a wonderful breakfast (included in our stay), then hit the beach. We often alternated one beach in the morning, and the other beach in the afternoon just for variety. We played tennis, went out to dinner at some local spots, but for our last few days decided there was no where nicer than the Buccaneer and just stayed in. The rooms, grounds and restaurants were spotless --- and we got a great work out just climbing the hills from the beach to the restaurant. Can't say enough good things about our stay.

• Liked — spotlessly clean, nightly turn-down service
  • Disliked — refrigerator and air conditioning units ran loudly -- we named our refrigerator 'Darth' because it sounded like Darth Vador breathing. No problem, we just unplugged both units at night.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

My husband booked a 4-night trip to St. Croix for my 28th birthday and chose to stay at The Buccaneer as it was a nice hotel when he lived on the island from 1999-2000. Our check-in was fast and flawless, with a complimentary upgrade to a room in the Tennis Villas, which had ocean and golf course views. The room was very well kept, looking as though The Buccaneer is conducting renovations of it's beautiful property (however we didn't see any going on but were told much has changed in the last few months). The Tennis Villas we're nice - a big huge bedroom with a little sitting area, a large bathroom with private toilet and shower (a door separates it from the large "dressing room"). There was a balcony with two chairs that overlooked the ocean, tennis courts, and golf course. We never heard another person while in our room - which was great! We were able to park our rental car for free (I'm not use to that from traveling to other places - so I wanted to note it), right near our villa. The property is set atop a large hill, so going back to the villa from the beach or going to a meal at The Terrace Restaurant was somewhat of a workout - but they do offer a shuttle if you are physically impaired or are just plain lazy! :) The grounds were kept immaculate - the beaches were very clean and the customer service was outstanding (with just one day - Sunday - where we had some trouble at breakfast). The complimentary breakfast buffet is a wonderful touch - it's a hot and cold buffet, all you can eat, and the food was terrific! Larry the bartender was great - go early to his Friday night tastings or else you won't find a seat at the bar! The lunch prices at the beachside restaurant were a little high, but the dinner prices at The Terrace were on par with what is expected. We did find throughout the island, however, that lunch was unusually high priced ($40-60 for two people with maybe 1 drink each), but that dinner prices were reasonable ($100-130 for two, with drinks or a bottle of wine).

The only negative - which isn't The Buccaneer's fault - is the no-seeums (little flies) that BITE. The Buccaneer does provide bug spray in the room (at least our room had some upon arrival), but be sure to use it. I look like I have chicken pox as I didn't believe them when they said to use it!

The Buccaneer was fantastic - centrally located to downtown Christiansted, a quick drive to other parts of the island, and it has a dock where some of the chartered snorkel tours will pick you up rather than go downtown! I have plenty of pictures and can provide more information if needed - send me a note!

• Liked — beach, food, great customer service, beautiful views of Christiansted
  • Disliked — bugs that BITE
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I had a great time at The Buccaneer. My fiance and friends were participating in the half Ironman, which actually went through the resort.

Half of the resort is beachfront, which was located downhill from the main pink building. Shuttle services are available for people who do not wish to walk up and down the hill. The beachfront rooms have their own cafe (located poolside), but the menu there is quite limited. The main restaurant, located in the main building, had a nicer selection. Near the main restaurant is a bar, and free rum cocktails are also available in the lobby.

There is also another building by the main building. This building houses a few shops, a workout room and a mini spa. There is also a pool.

Overall, this stay was very comfortable and fun. The service at the resort was amazing. One tip: Bring bug spray.

• Liked — Near city. Nice staff.
  • Disliked — No late night dining.
  • Stayed May 2006
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

What a fantastic vacation place for a family of four! Myself, my now Husband and our 2 children stayed there just under a week the second week of Novemver 2008. My Husband and I got married on the resort in the Sugarmill in the middle of the week. Firstly, our wedding planner Corrinne was perfect. She had everything taken care of when we got there! Our ceremony was perfect , beautiful and so meaningful. She had everything done down to the rose pedals up the walk way. I highly recommend that anyone looking for an escape wedding go through the Buccaneer. Second, the people/staff at the Buccaneer could not be nicer, more accomodating or more professional. The service and friendlyness is top notch! It was truely paradise. We did not want to leave and plan on going back within the next few years. There is no other tropical island and resort I'd rather visit.

• Liked — Staff and Scenery
  • Disliked — walking up the hills to the resturant
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

We booked this hotel as part of an American Airlines package. We were just there for the weekend to participate in a triathlon.
I must say this is a beautiful property, and despite it's age it is very well maintained. Our room was huge, close to the beach, beautiful, and well appointed with a great view of Christiansted especially at night. With one very notable exception (More about that below) all the Buccaneer staff really know the meaning of the word "hospitality" from the guy who shuttled us around the resort to the people in the restaurant to the housekeepers. The food was great and the prices were very reasonable. Let's make that clear. The meal prices would be reasonable in the US. In the Caribbean these meal prices were exceptionable!
I did have trouble with one desk person and since the issues persisted throughout our stay I think it's worth a mention. We arrived as I said for a triathlon and the woman who checked us in looked at my bike case and snidely said: "Oh, I guess you're here for the race." We were going back home after the race and check out time was 11 AM, but the race was not over until 1 PM. I asked her about a late check out after the race was over and she initially just said no. I then explained to her that the race was over at 1 PM and there was no way I was going to get myself and my bike packed to go by 11AM even if I finished at 10 AM. When she heard that and even realizing she had no choice she just said: "I leave a notation, but I'm not making any promises."
Well she was right about that because at 11 AM our room keys were disabled and after the race finished we were locked out of the room. Fortunately, the housekeeping staff let us in so we could pack and clean up. When I went up to check out although we had not been charged for any extra time I got more attitude from this woman. I also found out that the room was not even booked for that day so why this woman found it so hard to help me is beyond my comprehension. This is the first time in my experience that hotel staff have not worked with me when a late checkout was needed.
Despite that one negative experience, this is a wonderful place and if going to St. Croix it should be high on the list of hotel choices.

• Liked — Beautiful room and service. Great location.
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

On a recent scouting trip through the Virgin Islands, I had the priviledge of staying at the Buccaneer. It’s a warm, inviting multi-generational family resort on St Croix. The resort offers a rich history (it's family owned & operated) and has everything a luxe island resort should have but it’s not a mega all-inclusive. The service here is fantastic. You can tell the staff really care about their guests and go out of their way to ensure everything runs smoothly. We stayed in an oceanfront room (#342) and would definitely recommend booking a room with a view (which are fantastic). Rooms are very well appointed with luxurious furnishings, very comfortable beds and a large stone terrace. There are many different accommodation types at Buccaneer that are scattered over their 340 acres. The Mermaid restaurant on the beach hosted a delicious breakfast and lunch and offered a casual atmosphere, perfect for all ages and vacationers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property and have sent several clients here over the years as well, all with positive feedback.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or if I can assist you with your travel plans. We offer a 10% discount to members of our travel club. Ask for Julie.

• Liked — The beach here is fantastic and the views are amazing
  • Disliked — Not good for those with limited mobility
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!