“Perfect Carribbean paradise for a family (and couples too!)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Flourtown, Pennsylvania
“Perfect Carribbean paradise for a family (and couples too!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

First, please understand that I am not the "write a review" type. However, after our 2nd stay at the Buccaneer, I feel compelled to tell the world about the incredible people and stunning beauty of this exquisite hotel. Though I am struggling with putting into words the feelings of complete inner peace, total relaxation, and genuine contentment (all while traveling with our 10 and 11 year old sons!!!).

In August of 2013, we stayed as a couple in the Doubloons. Absolutely phenomenal room that is literally 20 steps from the beach. Service was top of the line and food was great, especially in the Terrace. I'm a total breakfast person so I LOVE their daily breakfast buffet - delicious treats for every taste. If traveling as a couple, I highly suggest the Doubloons for a romantic, luxurious vacation. We really didn't want to leave - I actually cried on the taxi ride to the airport. The only thing that would have made that trip better was if our kids were with us.

With that in mind, we traveled back in July along with our sons. After 11 long months of daydreaming about St. Croix, our visit completely exceeded expectations in every way. We arrived at the Buc around 9 am with a warm greeting from Ricky, the guest relations supervisor. He is a fantastic young man who will take care of anything you need. While the finishing touches were put on our room, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the Terrace. Our kids, despite a long night of traveling redeye flights, were blown away by the breathtaking views and soothing sounds of the ocean. Within 5 minutes of being at the Buc, my 10 years old son turned to me and said, "Mom, this place is AMAZING. I never imagined it was going to be like THIS!" We sat down to eat and were delighted to see Melrose again and hear him exclaim "Top of the mountain!!" The lovely Kathleen took impeccable care of us every morning and ensured a great start to each day. She is wonderful!! Our other favorite server at the Terrace is Miss Patti - she made my son's birthday celebration truly memorable. Miss Patti will make sure you have the very best service possible. We love her!!

IMHO, the staff at the Buccaneer are the best in the world. Julie, our concierge, is phenomenal. Anything you need or want, she will make it happen. She made arranging and navigating to/from our activities seamless! Through Julie, we booked: Buck Island snorkeling, bioluminescence bay trip (a MUST if you go!), snorkeling tour, watercolor art lesson with local artist Jane Akin for my 11 year old, dinner reservations (including a special birthday cake that was delicious!), transportation for trips into town, SCUBA lessons, and even brought us rum punch and lemonade to our room one afternoon as a surprise. As if the "welcome back" basket filled with treats and wine plus chocolates and personal birthday note for Ryan weren't enough!! They are just incredible.

I know I'm forgetting a ton of awesome stuff but here is what I hands down love the most about the Buccaneer. I have yet to find another place on Earth where my children can safely explore lush island greens, climb gently leaning palm trees, roam sandy beaches, meet and play soccer with new friends from all over the world, snorkel coral reefs, spy crafty mongoose, kayak or swim in the soothing aqua waters of the Carribbean, and enjoy many other truly unique experiences. BTW Polly, CJ, and another wonderful young lady (it's killing me that I can't remember her name!!) are at the beaches and are all terrific!!

Another bonus: After a week at the Buc, I didn't need the "vacation after vacation" that can be typical after traveling with kids. Fwiw, my kids abandoned all devices while there and none of us wanted to leave.

Nothing compares to the feelings of peace and total contentment one has while at the Buccaneer. Simply being there is a gift. We cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was our second stay at the Buccaneer (the first was 14 years ago) and the hotel is even better now than it was then. The Buccaneer has all of the amenities of a large resort while still maintaining the atmosphere of a small boutique hotel, probably because the property is so large and the rooms are spread out over the property in 1- and 2-story buildings. We never felt overcrowded anywhere at the hotel, although there were plenty of other guests staying there. We booked 2 deluxe oceanfront rooms, and we were pleasantly surprised when we checked in that the hotel gave us a free upgrade to a suite. The quality of the rooms and furnishings was impeccable. The bathrooms were large and modern. The rooms were spotlessly clean and the housekeepers kept it that way the entire time. The pictures on the hotel's website are accurate. The hotel has 3 beaches, but we only went to 2 of them. Grotto beach is quiet and we ended up spending all of our beach time there. Mermaid beach is where most of the activities are, and it looked like a good place for families with small children. The breakfast buffet was included with our room rate and the food was excellent. We also enjoyed lunch at the Mermaid restaurant twice. Our family had a wonderful vacation on St. Croix and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this lovely hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The views are amazing and the food was great at the restaurant. The beach area is fantastic and you receive a rum punch on arrival. I stayed in 189 on the hill but my friend stayed in 114 on the beach. The beach rooms are much nicer and you can practically step out of your room onto the beach. The only bad thing was the bathroom in my room could use a little renovation but the other rooms were fine.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Enjoy. Simply enjoy.
The Buccaneer offers you everything you need to relax and have a very good time (Maann!) Our room on the ridge next to the historic mill was comfy and spacious, the aircon silent and the wifi powerful and we had plenty of towels....changed twice a day.
Breakfast on the Terrace is varied and delicious, lunch at the Mermaid is a must and in the evening you will have a hard job choosing what and where to eat (except from the 'chil and grill' event at the Mermaid - avoid that..(mostly due to the terrible musical entertainment)).
Two wonderful beaches leave you space enough to relax and solve the problems of the world - or simply clear your mind.
Shuttlebus and taxis - the Buccaneer serves you all the transportation you need if you really want to leave this little paradise - but we recommend you to stay at the estate as much as possible. You will enjoy.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I was at the Buccaneer at the beginning of July with my boyfriend's family. We were attending the wedding of his brother, and had been looking forward to the trip for months. I can't say we were disappointed. Everything about The Buccaneer was lovely.

We were in Room 402, which is right above the Grotto pool, restaurant, and beach areas. The view from our room was impeccable. From the pictures on the website, I knew that the views would be beautiful, but I was quite taken back by how stunning they were when we stepped into our room. The patio had three lounge chairs and a patio table with four chairs. I sat out there and watched the sun rise a couple mornings, and it was so peaceful and serene. Side note: the room shares a connecting door with the suite right next door. This wasn't an issue with us because my boyfriend's brother and fiance were in that suite, but for those who may feel a bit awkward about it, I would note that. The bedroom was large with two beds, and there is a short hallway that leads to the walk in closet and bathroom. The bathroom is bigger than my kitchen at home, and the greatest thing about it is that the tub and shower are separate. The shower also has two shower heads, which I appreciated because I'm only 5'5 and like that water wasn't getting splashed all over me from the impact of the higher shower head. Ha! :-) There is also a separate sink area outside of the bathroom and free coffee. They do provide large bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion, but there is a note that says they will charge you $15 per bottle if you take them home with you...if you're a fan of taking home those little bottles, don't do so here! The room also had a table and two chairs in the bedroom, which were lovely to sit at while it was raining briefly. It also has a mini fridge, a tv with dvd player and a desk.

Like I said, we were right by the Grotto area, so that's where we spent most of our time. The restaurant is adequate for lunch and serves everything from grilled cheese to very large hot dogs. The first day we were they weren't open, but we had eaten so much at breakfast, that didn't really matter. The restaurant also has a "bartender" serving, so there are plenty of drinks to be had. I had one of the best BLTs of my life there.

Grotto Beach is small but very private. Plenty of chairs. We were there for the 4th of July, so it was a bit busier than normal, but still quiet enough that we were able to nap in our room. That is another thing...being right by the beach and pool, I thought our room would be really noisy...it wasn't. There was plenty to do at the beach. My boyfriend and I went kayaking a few different times and the two women who helped us in and out were funny and pleasant.

The pool is beautiful and relaxing and super to spend the evenings at.

The main house is where breakfast was served, and let me tell you, it was amazing. Never left still hungry.

I really recommend The Buccaneer. The only thing I would say is that make sure you communicate well with the front desk about taxi service. We called for a taxi to pick us up at 2 at our room to head to the airport, and they didn't arrive until 2:30. We were flying JetBlue to San Juan, and barely made the cut-off to check our luggage. We had a wonderful conversation with our driver though, so it was difficult to be mad about it.

Also, I want to say...if you are ever in the need for a destination wedding, The Buccaneer was spot on for everything that day. The wedding was run so well, and the wedding coordinator couldn't have been more genuine with her happiness for the bride and groom. The photographer was also great, and made sure that the family had every kind of photo taken that was desired.

The Buccaneer was absolutely amazing, and as a twenty-something, I have to say that I see myself returning once again some day!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The comprehensive reviews here on Tripadvisor are spot on. This resort is vast with both sweeping hill-top ocean views and front-row ocean-front views. It seems to me there is a room for every preference. Yes, there is a hill that takes about 5 minutes to traverse between the beach and the lobby / entrance area. I did not find it difficult as an able bodied GenX-er.

I stayed in an oceanfront room (337) and while the room could use and update to the linens and couches, the bed was comfortable and the views were spectacular so all is forgiven. Bathroom was top-notch although it did have the dreaded tub / shower combo which makes for a tight fit when showering. This room (337) did not have the most recent renovations if that is a concern. The view from the ocean-front room and the proximity to the ocean are unique relative to the resorts I have been to.

The airport is a very small tropical island airport. The cab stand is adjacent to the baggage claim and easy to navigate. I paid $30 for two of us to get from the airport to the Buccaneer. We rode with a another group going to the Divi Resort so it was a “shared” cab. We got dropped off first, so this was not a problem at all. It is about a 20 minute ride to paradise from the airport.

Some specifics:
We had a flat screen TV and a DVD player mounted to the wall of our room. I assume you could bring your own DVD’s and watch them if you wanted. They also make DVDs available for borrow / rent at the resort. The TV also had several available HDMI inputs so I was able to plug in my android tablet and watch content on the TV. The resort TV channel selection is pretty limited with only about 25 channels. The major cable stations like ESPN and CNN were available, but not much else. It was a pretty bare-bones selection in my opinion, but good enough for light vacation viewing.

The in-room key-lock safe was large enough to accept two tablets along with our phones and paperwork so it was large enough for today’s technology. As an aside, on our first day I left the safe WIDE open with our tablets, our iPhones and wallets (with cash and credit cards) for all the world to see. When I returned to our room later that day it had been perfectly cleaned by the housekeeping staff and not one thing had been touched in the open safe. Frankly, I deserved to lose something for this oversight, but the staff at the Buccaneer were honest enough to leave everything just as I had left it. Honesty is a resort trait that is priceless. I felt even better leaving a daily tip for the housekeeping staff after that debacle!

There was a mini-fridge in the room along with a mini-coffee machine replenished with coffee, sugar and half & half daily. I never made it to the free breakfast buffet.

We lounged at Mermaid Beach which has plentiful beach lounge chairs, plenty of shade via many palm trees on the beach (you may have to move your chair a few feet to find shade) and warm placid water that is appropriate for toddlers. The beach was relatively quiet and peaceful like most of the resort.

There was intermittent drink / food service on Mermaid beach most days. It seems that one server handled the beach service. On her days off, nobody else bothered to walk the beach much. Since the Mermaid bar / restaurant is only a few steps away, this is not a big deal, but I always feel extra pampered when being served food / drink on the beach in paradise. The beach service was prompt. The food was hot and the drinks were ice cold.

They have free resort-wide Wi-Fi which while strong at the beach, was spotty in our room. It could be proximity to the Wi-Fi antenna, but I found the Wi-Fi to be frustrating in the room. I wish it would have been better…….

We ate at the resort several nights. Once at the Mermaid Restaurant and a couple of times at the Martel Lounge (in lieu of The Terrace Restaurant). The Martel Lounge is right next to The Terrace and they serve both the Terrace Menu and their own menu so you get the best of both worlds relative to menu selection. The downside is that the lounge is a bit loud during the live entertainment so there is a trade-off if you are looking for a quiet, romantic dinner. The entertainment was a nice touch and I enjoyed the show each night we remained on site. Bravo!

We also had room service a couple of times and the food was fresh and hot and arrived promptly. One evening after a long day, I felt like pizza for dinner. I knew they served pizza at the Martel lounge, but it was not on the room service menu and I was too tired to go out for dinner. I called and asked if they could arrange for a room service pizza to be delivered to my room? Since this is The Buccaneer, they promptly made me a pizza and delivered it to my room for a reasonable charge. Now that’s customer service!

We ate off-site twice. First we tried Galangal which is an Asian-fusion restaurant in town. The cab was $9 each way and the food was quite good. This place was a bit hoity-toity (and quite small), but the food and service were outstanding and I would certainly recommend. We also ate at Maria’s Cantina & Sports Bar which is a Mexican restaurant with a lot of flat-screen TVs. The service was a bit slow, but the food was good. Being from So Cal, we had to have some Asian and Mexican food over the course of the week just like at home. We arranged for cabs with the front desk for both of these dinner outings and they picked us up right at our room and whisked us to the restaurant. The door-to-door service was very convenient and appreciated. We did have to re-verify with the front desk on the arranged cab as there was some confusion / miscommunication so I would encourage you to double check if the cab is late or you are concerned.

The Buccaneer is not perfect, but it is pretty close. It is not the Ritz Carlton, but it is a very well run beach resort that would give any major hotel chain a run for their money relative to facility, service, entertainment and dining. I would certainly recommend it for a relaxing, pampered vacation. I will be back some day!

Room Tip: The hotel website has a good hotel map of accommodations. Doubloons are newer than ocean-front room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My couple Clemmy and Bertrand were married at the Buccaneer this past weekend. As a wedding planner who works at multiple destination wedding locations, I have worked with the truly great and the just ok (we never send couples to the really ugly hotels). I have got to say that this hotel absolutely bends over backwards to accommodate you and is so far away from the cookie cutter destination wedding experience that you will find at most other major hotel properties.

Clemmy and Bert wanted custom cupcakes rather than a traditional cake. We sent a picture, I brought the cupcake stand, and voila!! We had exactly the look they were going for and the cupcakes were absolutely to die for in terms of taste.. Our applause to their pastry chef. Our couple wanted a wedding with vibrant colors or orange, yellow, and soft pink. Those colors are not readily available at this time of year on the island, but the Buccaneer's florist Gloria bent over backwards to do her best to accommodate us and the ceremony space was nothing short of sensational with custom floral arrangements on the back of each chair and the most beautiful arch on the beach for Clemmy and Bert to be married under. Our Officiant Rev. Louise Leard was such a professional. She met with the couple and I the day before the wedding to go over every aspect of the ceremony and the end result was a ceremony that was both touching and very heartfelt. Thank you Louise for all of the love and care you put into that ceremony for Clemmy and Bert.

After the ceremony, it was time to party and the music was off the hook too. Bill Bass serenaded us during the cocktail hour with his steel pan band and then DJ Knight took over and kept the party going for the rest of the night with music that isn't readily available because our couple was originally from Rwanda (although live in Boston now). DJ Knight worked tirelessly to ensure that he had the right songs since in most cases it was music he had never heard before. What a professional and what a great DJ. Loved, loved, loved DJ Knight!! For Photographers, since the couple was flying me in, we chose to fly in one of my Photographers as well who could then share a room with me. They selected Carol MacGregor of Happy Gatherings Photography in Wayland, MA and if you want to see photos from this wedding, just google Clemmy, Bert, Happy Gatherings and the blog post (once it's been written), should pop up. We took Clemmy and Bert into Christiansted and did a two hour pre-wedding photo session with them in street clothes the day before the wedding, and my goodness does that town offer photographic possibilities. To have that opportunity and then to be able to shoot the wedding at the magnificent Buccaneer Hotel, is nothing short of a Photographer's dream come true.

Now that I've told you about the magnificent vendors at the wedding, I want to tell you about this hotel. First Kimberly Hummers and Corinne her boss, are easily hands down the best hotel wedding team I have ever worked with (and that includes here at home in Boston as well). As I mentioned earlier, they bent over backwards to make this wedding perfect and I would highly recommend this property to any couple wanting to get married in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Seriously if you are reading this review and you are looking for a wedding location, look no further. If you are finding yourself turned off by the cookie cutter wedding experience, you need to talk to this team. Truly they will do their level best to deliver to you exactly the wedding you were hoping for.

I have to say that the pictures of the hotel simply do not do the place justice. My initial thought when I looked at this property online, was that it was nice but perhaps might feel a bit dated in person. We have all stayed at places where the photos are sensational and then the property doesn't stand up in reality. Just the opposite is true of the Buccaneer. We all agreed that the property was substantially better than how it appeared in the photos. The rooms in the Great House are expansive, the beds are sinfully comfortable, the patios are large enough for a table, 4 chairs, and a lounge chair with views overlooking the ocean and the town of Christiansted (absolutely magical at night), and a bathroom fit for a king with all of the amenities one would come to expect at a 4 star or better hotel. The only minor issue was that at peak times, hot water wasn't always readily available, but that was minor compared to the overall experience.

Clemmy and Bert were upgraded to one of their one bedroom villas and that room was larger than my first apartment with a gorgeous 4 poster bed in the large bedroom, two bathrooms and a beautiful sitting area. These units are located right on the beach and are absolutely perfect as the pre-wedding staging area for the bride and her attendants.

Now let's talk about the food at this property. We ate at the Terrace restaurant two of the three evenings we were there and if the Chef isn't Michelin rated, he should be. The food is creative, fresh, and seasoned perfectly. There is a lot of thought and love that went into each of those meals and I so appreciated that effort. The complimenatry breakfast is equally wonderful and you will want for nothing as everything is provided and thensome.

The staff at the hotel was equally sensational in almost every case. Nadia, the front desk Director greeted me by name with a huge smile every time she saw me in the lobby. The bell men were superior and so eager to please and to help. The taxi drivers who work for the hotel, especially Peter were so engaging and went out of their way to make sure we were well cared for.

My only regret is that I only had a few hours to truly act as a guest at this outstanding location. When you're flown in to oversee a wedding, you do end up working and not relaxing. I think that my next trip to the Buccaneer will not be for a wedding, but as a guest so that I can truly relax, unwind, and take advantage of all that this property has to offer. I cannot say enough good things about this property. If you are looking for the excellent vacation experience or a destination wedding, you will be hard pressed to find a better location in St. Croix. Thank you to everyone at the Buccaneer for making my job so much easier and for taking such great care of my couple and their guests. It truly is my pleasure to write this very honest and truthful review for them.

Terri Altergott, PBC
Something Borrowed Something New Events
Extraordinary Destination Weddings

Room Tip: If you prefer to be close to the action and nightlife, you will want to stay in the Great House. If...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!