“Being at the Buccaneer was like being on Paradise Island!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
London
“Being at the Buccaneer was like being on Paradise Island!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I cannot imagine staying at any other hotel on St. Croix other than the Buccaneer. IIts very safe, private with Golf Course, Gym, facilities for jogging, beach restaurants apart from the main restaurant. It was so amazing to see the staff welcoming guests who go there every year!!! I felt like a celebrity because all the staff recognised me, they went out of their way to ensure that I had the breakfast I needed whether it was on the menu or not, Phyllis who is the supervisor at breakfast ensured that I had my usual seat with a scenic view, and Ozzie and Babylon saw to my every need at breakfast. The room was as usual - to live for. and Caryl made it her duty to find out whether I was happy with my room and to let her know whether there was anything she could do to make my stay and enjoyable one. How's that for service??? dinner was amazing at the Buccaneer. I had lobster to live for!!! Just an amazing hotel with wonderful staff. The true test of Customer service came when I was trying to get a flight out of St. Croix to the UK. All flights to New York were cancelled and Diane stayed on the phone for 1hr (ONE HOUR!!!) until she got me a flight via Miami!!! I have NEVER seen such dedication to a client as I did with Diane!!! She deserves to be Staff of the year!!! Thank you Diane!!

Room Tip: Discuss your preference with staff. I needed a room on the beach so that I could see the beach from...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Burlington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Only 1.5 miles from downtown Christiansted, the Buccaneer is a beautiful resort, with rolling hills, three sand beaches, and 18 hole golf course. The rooms are spacious and well furnished, with excellent views of the shore and sea.

The main building sits on a hilltop, with a terrace bar and restaurant and incredible vistas of sea and mountains; we made a point of stopping by before dinner for a drink and to watch the sunset.
There is a beautiful running/walking path that winds around the golf course and along the beach, which we put to good use each morning. A great way to build an appetite for the buffet breakfast.
The staff were friendly and helpful; quick to respond to any special request.
Overall, we had a great time at the Buccaneer and recommend it to anyone planning a trip to St. Croix.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I booked our honeymoon in the middle of October. (A while ago, I know.) It was the best vacation we've ever been on. My husband had never seen the ocean and he was BLOWN away by not only the hotel but the service that comes with it. There are amazing three beaches this property is on. We spent most of our time on Mermaid Beach due to the fact that Whistle Beach is more private and secluded and Grotto Beach had only certain areas where it was safe to enter the water due to sea anemones. All the restaurants were amazing and we loved all of our waitresses/waiters. Everyone was VERY NICE!! We took a snorkel tour to Buck Island through Caribbean Tours with Captain Mike. I will recommend him to anyone. There was a young gentleman who worked at the beach shack on certain days and gave a snorkel tour. He let my husband safely pick up the white sea anemones and showed him where there was an octopus and many sea turtles. We loved this place so much that when we got home that I immediately booked our second trip for February. What we liked most that beaches were not crowded and we could swim around comfortably without the worry of running into anyone. I'm not sure if in February it will be different, but we are excited anyways!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carbondale, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We didn't stay here, but visited the beach and restaurant on Christmas Day. Lunch in the beachside restaurant was very enjoyable, while the teenager in our group swam in the sea and enjoyed the beach, then joined us to eat. All in all a delightful afternoon.Christmas in the sunshine and well looked after!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Frederiksberg, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at the Buccaneer Hotel for 9 nights, wich for us was a bit too long due to bad weather and nothing to do during the rain.
At check-in we were offered drinks, and accepted a rum punch, which was delicious. Our room was not ready on arrival so we had time to enjoy our punch.
The room was very beautiful big and clean. But the sheets and towels were old and some of the sheets even had wholes. The room was right at the beach with a beautiful view.
The hotel grounds are beautiful.
The hotel has a few restaurants, The food is expensive and the staff expects you to tip minimum 20%. At Breakfast wich is included in the room price the staff say breakfast is free you just need to sign meaning give us a 20% tip for pouring coffe wich i think is too much when the hotel also adds 10 % service charge to the room price.
The entertainment music is very loud and some evenings we had to shout to each other.
The hotel has three nice beaches and you can borrow kayaks, snorkling gear to explore the beaches. We expected to be able to walk into town but due to the bad conditions of the roads and no side walks we had to take a taxi every time we wanted to go some where. The taxi drivers were very nice and informative.
One thing we found very strange was the fact that the locks on our hotel doors were changed without notice. We had to go to the frontdesk to get new keys. I think we should have been notified before they changed the locks..
All in all we had a nice stay appart from trouble with rain and other minor details.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This resort is less than ten minutes driving time from downtown Christiansted. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and views are spectacular from just about anywhere on the property.
At check-in we were offered drinks, and I accepted a rum punch, which was delicious. Upon entering our room, we found a welcome basket, which included a bottle of wine, cheese and crackers, fruit, and miscellaneous snack items.

Our room was on the second floor of the main building, which is situated at the highest point of the property overlooking the grounds and Mermaid Beach. It included a balcony, with two chairs and a chaise. Curiously, the bathroom was positioned on the beach-facing side of the room, so the balcony and picture window were smaller than they might have been with a more logical design. The room itself was larger than a typical hotel room, with beautiful marble flooring and nice furniture. The bedding was acceptable, but not the quality expected of a fine resort. The bathroom was also very large, with two sinks, plenty of counter space, and an open shower. The open shower design was attractive, but not very functional, as the floor outside was soaked after each shower use.

Overall, the accommodations are nice, but a bit tired. The electrical fixtures, thermostat and bathroom fixtures were outdated. The bedding, as well, is in need of an update. The mattress was bouncy, and the bedspread old fashioned. Public areas are also somewhat dated. The whole establishment should be updated. Nevertheless, I recommend this hotel as the grounds and views are amazing, the accommodations acceptable, and the entire resort was clean and adequately maintained.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed at the Buccaneer about five years and I must admit I was impressed back then. I returned again a couple of weeks ago for four nights and I was rather disappointed this time around. All in all, i just do not see how they can justify the prices they charge.

The main draw is that the property grounds go on for ever and consequently the views are just heavenly. However the rooms are nothing special and mine was definitely showing signs of age. It was not even that clean! (There was this lock of hair that I saw in the bathroom on the first night and it was still there on the fourth day!). There were also bugs stuck in the glass of the picture frames. The windows could do with some washing and some rusty light fittings could do with replacing (see photo).

i also found it extremely weird that a hotel of this calibre (and with these prices!) would not provide robes and slippers for its guests. In addition the furnishings were extremely dated.

However the vistas are to die for!! The Buccaneer is truly blessed in this regard.

The buffet breakfast was not that impressive either and it also felt odd hearing the restaurant staff say over and over and over again "Your breakfast is free, all you have to pay is gratuities".

Although one evening, they did have a nice "meet the other guests" event with wine & hors d'oeuvres which was a nice touch.

Sadly I would have to pass on the Buccaneer if I ever return to St Croix - magnificent views notwithstanding!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!