“Creature comforts, beautiful views, and plenty of space” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Boston
“Creature comforts, beautiful views, and plenty of space”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Spent a relaxing week on this beautiful property just a short drive from Christiansted. The grounds, on the side of a hill, are expansive. Buildings are mostly one story and scattered over the property leaving a lot of open space and lawn in addition to the 3 beaches and the golf course. Our beach side room was large and quiet with its own patio and a large picture window looking out on the ocean which was steps away -- we went to sleep with the sound of the surf. We liked the uphill hike to the main dining room where breakfast was served, but there is a shuttle and there are rooms higher up on the hill. Staff were friendly and attentive, willing to arrange things ahead of our arrival. Water sports equipment is available at no extra cost -- sea kayaks, snorkeling gear, etc. There are organized activities daily and nightly entertainment in the restaurants. The food in the restaurants was variable, but food is not the highlight of this island. We rented a car, found driving easy, and enjoyed seeing other parts of the island. Many restaurants are accessible by car a number in Christiansted and several a short drive from the hotel. There are endless numbers of beaches here to visit -- most of them relatively quiet with few people. A lovely place to get away from it all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Awesome place, magnificent views of the Caribbean Sea, nice weather and wonderful staff. The rooms are unbelievable! Big,and nice combination of wooden ceiling and tile floor. I will definitely come back again. I came to the hotel as part of my business trip but will definitely come back again with family as a pleasure trip!

• Stayed December 2013
Lander, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our stay was unbelievable. The service was impeccable, the staff was friendly, and our rooms were immaculate. We will definitely be back in the future and this is the perfect way to spend a honeymoon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, HI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This place was amazing.
They have a huge outdoor running trail and a great gym. The rooms were very spacious.. Huge actually. The bed was comfortable, there internet was fast. They did not have a business center, but they did have several places to print so it wasn't a big deal.
The staff was really friendly! The food was good. The only complaint I would have was about the price of the wine, but other than that it was perfect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Stoughton, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Starting with the first phone call I felt confident that all would run smooth, But I still pinch myself, Brad (event manager) made us feel special with a call to our room letting us know our guest had arrived and given there drink order ,and then coming to the Sugar Mill introducing himself. Our meal- Which was superb, the Chef let us tweak the menu so all 6 of us where very happy with the taste and presentation and once again the service - Ruby who was our sever will never be forgotten, she was so warm and attentive! We were thrilled and surprised with an upgrade to a most stunning suite with a morning view to remember! We can't rave enough about our service from front desk,shuttle driver Orteze, The Chef with a fab meal and beautiful wedding cake(carrot cake upon request), Ruby who made us feel so special. To the morning brunch. Thank You all for making our wedding party of 6 so grand!

Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed wanted to visit St Croix as a well deserved rest and stayed at this hotel for a week. The Buccaneer was the perfect blend of rest and relaxation and fun activities. We stayed at the main house and there were three beaches on the resort that were just less than 5 minutes away. At the beach we could just sit and sip drinks as well as swim, snorkel or kayak. Cee Jay, who worked mostly at Mermaid beach, supplied us with equipment to do whatever we needed.

The resort is beautiful and the staff took very good care of both of us. The concierge, Julie, helped arrange various tours and trips and the hotel itself has events for its guests. We booked tours of the island, ATV riding and SCUBA diving lessons as well as a few restaurant reservations. They also provided drinking water in the room which was important because the body loses a lot of water being in such a humid climate (for us at least). There are hotel shuttles to take you wherever including trips to Christianstead, the closest town to the resort. The trips to town were $7 and we got a little tour in each ride because the drivers seemed to all tour guides also. It's possible that regular taxis were cheaper but we did not look into that.

Not sure if this is always the case but our room came with a breakfast buffet which turned out to be a great deal. Because the resort offered enough distractions, we did not need to leave too often so eating at the hotel was the most convenient option. We ate at all the restaurants and the food was pretty good. The swanky restaurant at the main house had the best food, though it was by far the most expensive as well. That was the only place I got meats other than seafood and it was pretty good.

Overall I would visit this resort again since our experience was top notch.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor of the main house with a balcony overlooking a good portion of the resort...
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was able to spend my 30th birthday week in St. Croix at the Buccaneer. I was so pleased with the service and all the Resort had to offer. Best service I've experienced to date! We stayed in the Great House. My room was spacious and clean and had a balcony with a view of the water and the golf course. We were welcomed with a tropical drink and very friendly/helpful staff. I also had complimentary champagne in my room since it was my birthday! :) There were several options for dining. We chose to eat at the Mermaid several times and once in the Terrace Bar area. My Dad and Brother went deep sea fishing (booked through the hotel concierge) one day and the Mermaid chef prepared the catch for us to eat! All food was good and we had plenty of umbrella drink options to choose from. We also had breakfast every morning at The Terrace, buffet style with plenty of hot options which was included with our room. The resort has 3 beaches and a pool. However we chose to make Mermaid beach our go to spot. There is a nice running trail that winds around the golf course. My run was interrupted by a brief rain (it was rainy season), but then the sun came out to create a beautiful rainbow. Even though it was rainy season, the rains were normally early and didn't last long so did not put a damper on our vacation. We were able to kayak from Mermaid beach and they had snorkel gear available along with other things: rafts, noodles, towels etc. There are also tennis courts and a half basketball court available. We booked a day trip to Buck Island to snorkel which you must do! The concierge will book this for you and the guides will come pick you up on their boat from the Mermaid Beach dock! My Mom and I did a fort to fort tour with Richie the day my Dad and Brother went fishing. He picked us up from the resort. It was down season so we were the only ones touring with him that day, but he was still so nice and patient with us while we toured the Frederiksted fort, the Domino Club (they have beer drinking pigs), the rainforest, the Cruzan Rum factory, and the Christiansted fort. He was able to tell us about everything we saw and plenty of history. There was a shuttle available from the hotel to go to Christiansted to shop or eat. The resort had a spa, fitness center and general store. The spa is supposed to be very nice, but unfortunately I didn't have time to see for myself. I'm sure there are things I am forgetting... and I am sure that during busy season there are more activities as well. I had such a great time! I highly recommend staying at the Buccaneer when you visit St. Croix. The staff is so helpful and friendly. Not only the hotel staff, but every waiter, waitress, bartender and beach attendant. Not to mention the resort was gorgeous! I hope I get to go back soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!