“Great place to turn 30!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Shoys | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Great place to turn 30!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was able to spend my 30th birthday week in St. Croix at the Buccaneer. I was so pleased with the service and all the Resort had to offer. Best service I've experienced to date! We stayed in the Great House. My room was spacious and clean and had a balcony with a view of the water and the golf course. We were welcomed with a tropical drink and very friendly/helpful staff. I also had complimentary champagne in my room since it was my birthday! :) There were several options for dining. We chose to eat at the Mermaid several times and once in the Terrace Bar area. My Dad and Brother went deep sea fishing (booked through the hotel concierge) one day and the Mermaid chef prepared the catch for us to eat! All food was good and we had plenty of umbrella drink options to choose from. We also had breakfast every morning at The Terrace, buffet style with plenty of hot options which was included with our room. The resort has 3 beaches and a pool. However we chose to make Mermaid beach our go to spot. There is a nice running trail that winds around the golf course. My run was interrupted by a brief rain (it was rainy season), but then the sun came out to create a beautiful rainbow. Even though it was rainy season, the rains were normally early and didn't last long so did not put a damper on our vacation. We were able to kayak from Mermaid beach and they had snorkel gear available along with other things: rafts, noodles, towels etc. There are also tennis courts and a half basketball court available. We booked a day trip to Buck Island to snorkel which you must do! The concierge will book this for you and the guides will come pick you up on their boat from the Mermaid Beach dock! My Mom and I did a fort to fort tour with Richie the day my Dad and Brother went fishing. He picked us up from the resort. It was down season so we were the only ones touring with him that day, but he was still so nice and patient with us while we toured the Frederiksted fort, the Domino Club (they have beer drinking pigs), the rainforest, the Cruzan Rum factory, and the Christiansted fort. He was able to tell us about everything we saw and plenty of history. There was a shuttle available from the hotel to go to Christiansted to shop or eat. The resort had a spa, fitness center and general store. The spa is supposed to be very nice, but unfortunately I didn't have time to see for myself. I'm sure there are things I am forgetting... and I am sure that during busy season there are more activities as well. I had such a great time! I highly recommend staying at the Buccaneer when you visit St. Croix. The staff is so helpful and friendly. Not only the hotel staff, but every waiter, waitress, bartender and beach attendant. Not to mention the resort was gorgeous! I hope I get to go back soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The Bucaneer was a fantastic choice to spend our 25th wedding anniversary. The room looked out over Gallows Bay with a view of Christiansted and the harbor in the distance. The room was spacious with a king bed and plenty of lounge area to take in the gorgeous view. Service was friendly and prompt. We enjoyed the choice of three beaches, a great jogging trail, the golf course and the Grotto pool area and bar. drinks we we'll made making for a great experience. The views were tremendous everywhere in the property. Having spent time on numerous of the lesser antillies through time share exchange... This visit was well worth not using the exchange... A must for all seeking a romantic fun island adventure!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Starting with the positives - the Great House is gorgeous and the music they featured in the restaurant was astonishingly good. Many of the staff are exceptional. I loved that they had fruit-infused water in the lobby. And the views of the ocean and Christiansted are amazing.

There were a few bumps in my trip. My room had a wonderful view. And a dead gecko that looked like it had been there awhile. When I mentioned it, it was taken care of quite quickly for island time. I arrived on a Friday and signed up for SUP and a snorkeling tour right away. Unfortunately when I arrived on the beach for SUP, there was no record of my having signed up. The gentleman who contracts with the Buccaneer for SUP offered to reschedule, but I decided to go to St Croix Watersports instead. I decided to double check on the snorkeling trip, and I hadn't been signed up for that, either.

One of the electrical outlets in the bathroom didn't work, and although a magnifying mirror was provided, it didn't work either or even stay in place.

One of the things I liked about The Buccaneer was that it's a no smoking resort, although there were people smoking on Grotto Beach.

Finally, when I was ready to leave there were three taxis waiting. I mentioned that I'd like to share with another family that was going to the airport and the cab driver basically refused. So the trip cost me $40 rather than $15. I shared the cab with a group of Danish people who were staying at the Buccaneer, who were dropped off at their tour meeting place before we went to the airport. So the driver already had several fares. He told me I should have arranged before hand with the hotel to share. While the front desk staff were great, I don't think it would have been difficult to ask a solo traveler if I'd be willing to share a ride to the airport if others were leaving at the same time. They would know far better than I if others were checking out the same day.

After the Danish guests were dropped off the driver spent the rest of the drive complaining about the person he'd done a favor for by transporting them. Unprofessional and unappreciated, especially since he'd just cost me an extra $25.

Room Tip: It was quite an uphill hike from the Mermaid Beach to the great house, which I enjoyed but would be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Union, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Spent 4 days at this fabulous hotel. The Honeymoon Dubloom as they call it was great. Ocean view, with a private patio, two sinks in bathroom, a standing shower and a hot tub. We couldn't have asked for more. The staff were all very pleasant. All would greet us day and night. They take pride in their hotel, and it shows. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on St. Croix.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We got married on a private beach there in 2010, and were lucky enough to get back for a day a few years later. Just as beautiful and well kept as we remembered.

Mermaid Beach- best spot to eat I have ever had lunch.

Breakfast every morning on the Terrace was wonderful!!! Very large selection of beautiful fruit to choose from.

Taxi cabs that take you around the grounds are easy to catch.

Very well kept, clean, even bathrooms on the beach.

Golf course is great! Can't beat the beauty of the ocean. Had a perfect day playing golf with husband, mom, and godfather. Highly recommend playing.

Room Tip: Don't miss the breakfast- best fruit selection I have ever seen!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We just returned from an 8 day holiday to St. Croix and stayed at The Buccaneer. The hotel itself was very nice, well kept, and friendly. After reading some of the reviews, we were a little disappointed in the quality of the beaches located at the hotel. They were nice, but now exactly what we expected. The water was not as clear as it was on other parts of the island but it was still nice. I'm sure we probably hit a bad time and cloudy water is not the norm.
As far as food goes, if you are willing to pay for the dinners - they were great. The breakfast buffet was just that - a breakfast buffet. Food was not always as warm as it could be unless you asked for a special request. They would occasionally run out of specific items and instead of refilling that item, you just had to eat something else.
All of the staff we met were very nice and helpful. They always had a smile on their face and a warm greeting for us.
All in all - I would go back to The Buccaneer if the opportunity presented itself in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Beautiful views and very nice rooms .only a 4 because the food was not the best.restaurants was not always open .roomservice was ok. The mermaid had great shrimp quisedillas !the staff was very helpful . Eat at duggans reef and try the fritto misto. Very reasonable sally was a great waitress!

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach were great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Resort
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#1 of 16 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 stars 939 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!