“Honeymoon (Part II)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Shoys | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
$100 Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Honeymoon (Part II)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and me spent the first part of our trip at the Cottage by the Sea and second half at the Buccaneer. We were upgraded free of charge to an Ocean View room 50 feet from the beach and pool. When we arrived in our room there was a note from the manager/owner which was a nice touch. The room was clean, spacious, quiet, and had great view. The only issue we had was the shower had trouble draining at times. If you like to stay active this is the place for you. They have kayaking, snorkel gear, basketball, tennis, golf, disc golf, corn hole. The list goes on and on. Upon reading the review prior to mine I can definitely relate to the issue with the food. The breakfast buffet is good but the lunch and dinner leave a little bit to be desired. We ate at the mermaid and the service was just really bad. We were practically done with our meal and the waitress realized she forgot the garlic bread, which is extra, and then provided it at the end of the meal. We ate at the Grotto and no real complaints there other than the food was just ok. The lounge was probably one of the bigger disappointments. Food actually was not bad but the service was really the issue here. Several times we were without water which is key at a resort where you have been baking in sun all day. My wife and I got massages and since I don't get many massages I can't say they were bad would have appreciated a little more communication prior to the massage. Every massage I have gotten they usually ask, is there any particular area you would like special attention to. Now these things I mention are definitely not deal breakers by any means. Every night my wife and I slept like rocks and were very relaxed throughout our trip, which is obviously the point of a vacation. I would HIGHLY recommend staying here!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at The Buccaneer for the second time in (5) years. The location is beautiful, the hotel is top notch, and the staff is wonderful. We had stayed there for a week in 2008 and amazingly, many of the staff we met then actually remembered us. Being greeted with a hug like a retruning family member really made us feel welcome. The hotel offered us an uograded room upon arrival and after we discussed with the front desk (pleasantly) a family next door that was noisy late into the night, we ended up in an even nicer room! This far exceeded our expectations and we are truly grateful. We will be going back again (and again, and again...). I can't say enough about this hotel and the exquisite way they treat their guests!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, we prefer an ocean view but others may prefer a view of the grounds and golf...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Buccaneer in St. Croix last month and are already planning a return trip. The island is beautiful and our trip was made even better by staying at the Buccaneer. Our room was perfect with a patio on which we were able to view the beach and the entire property. The staff at the restaurants and the front desk are all very polite and made us feel very welcome. Adrienne, the concierge, is fantastic and was very helpful in arranging activities and dinner outside of the resort. The Buccaneer does an excellent job at anticipating all of your needs and allows you to have a worry free vacation. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a dream holiday at the Buccaneer in St Croix (if we'd already got married, it would have been a perfect honeymoon). We're almost certain that we got upgraded (thank you Buccaneer!) to a beach-side doubloons, and it was fantastic. We had a balcony from which you could walk straight onto the beach, or sit with a cocktail while the sun set over the beautiful waters. The resort was very quiet, so it kind of felt like we had the whole place to ourselves (even though supposedly it's usually busy during Thanksgiving weekend): that, along with the upgrade, definitely contributed to the luxury of our vacation.

The service was great, the pools were fantastic, the beaches were very good (though I did get eaten alive despite the bug spray that the Buccaneer provided in our room). They also provided kayaks, snorkeling gear, lilos (inflatable floaty things) etc free of charge, and we spent many an hour bobbing in the warm ocean with cocktails. Fantastic.

The food at the Buccaneer was a let-down, but we were so impressed with everything else, we can let it go. :) But, definitely manage your expectations on that front, and maybe plan a few dinners outside the resort (cabbies are friendly and cheap: we had one wait for the duration of our whole evening, and it cost $60 total with a free St Croix tour and history lesson included ;) ).

We'd definitely recommend hiring a car and driving around a bit. There are some beautiful areas of the island to see. However, it's more third world-ish than you might expect being US territory, so be careful with your belongings. Nothing bad happened to us, but we heard warnings about it from various people, and given the poverty, it's not hard to believe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and i have been to this hotel 4 times in 3 years, we really love this island and this being the best hotel on island we always decide on staying here but it always felt like something was missing we just couldn't quite put our finger on it.

The service was always top notch but i think just needed a bit more youth to spice up the place. For this trip thats exactly what they did. Oshena checked us in, she's extremely helpful and was very pleasant an always wearing a smile. Nisa at the mermaid always delivered or food in real time an not the island time like or previous visits which we were very thankful for, The new guys on the beach are simply the best, they go above and beyond to make you feel like your on vacation (cjay & ortis) they work really well together, very nice, helpful, charming, well educated and really fun to be around. Never a doll moment on the beach when these two are on site....
The kids did a great job!!!

• Stayed May 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I checked in to this hotel and was completely blown away by the friendly and warm atmosphere. Diane checked me in and was very pleasant. Caryle assisted me to my room with the courtsey cab and gave me some recommendations for dinning and night life. Caryle was extremely helpful. When we arrived we given a room with two beds, I was a little disapointed because I wanted to surprise my partner because it was our anniversay. I spoke with the reservations manager Rebecca and she was suberb. She assisted me in a room move and was the one who orginally handled my reservation. I was given a complimentary upgrade to an Ocean View suite, I was super happy. This room is FABULOUS! It was more than I could ask for. The hotel is clean, service is great and beach is beautiful. I will defintely stay again.

Room Tip: PS. The deluxe ocean view room was the room I booked orginally, It is a great room as well.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Buccaneer for our second honeymoon and it was absolutely fabulous! The service was impeccable, the accommodations were amazing. We stayed in one of the Beachside Doubloon suites and it was unbelievable! The view, the king size bed, the walk-in closet, huge bathroom with a luxurious shower, bathrobes & slippers too. A chilled bottle of campaign, fresh filled ice buckets, turn-down service and a can of OFF spray for those pesky little no-see-ums are just examples of the special details that this resort offers. Several beach options to choose from with friendly staff to accommodate your requests. We took a sea kayak out and enjoyed the view of the hotel from the crystal clear waters. The dining options were plentiful and offered everything from a basic hamburger to broiled fresh whole local lobster. We enjoyed the entertainment in the lounge on several evenings while catching the best views the island has to offer. We will be back!

Room Tip: Second floor of any Doubloon suite offers spectacular views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!