“Great hotel for family trip with young kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
ny
“Great hotel for family trip with young kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is perfect for a family with young kids... We have three children under 7 and stayed in the family cottage suite with is perfect. It has a king bed, a window bed, a connecting room with two double beds, with a trundle underneath (could fit two adults and four kids comfortably... Hotel is clean and accomodating...There are several beaches on property, two pools..One pool on the beach that is small, but there is never anyone there. Also the grotto has great kids meals, chicken tenders, grilled cheese, with fresh fruit, fries fro $5.95....The hotel is very spaced out but we had no problem navigating... WE tried the kids club one day, but I would rather spend the day with kids on the beach...The had pails and shovels for the kids, very family friendly resort. Always felt safe at the resort, howver that is not always the case on some parts of the island. The breaksfast is great for the family, and a good start.. We always took fruit and cereal boxes back to the room, for snack later...
I would never be downtown at night with the kids, it can be borderline dangerous.... I suggest taking a trip to the Carambola on the other side of the island, nice beach,, nice pool, stop at the Waves of Cane Bay for lunch and the beach is nice too...CRAB RACES a must for the kids...

Room Tip: Family cottage suites for family of five recommended..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Port Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Location is the best. Hotel has everything to offer. On site Tennis and 18 holes of Golf, Three beaches and toys to play with. Service is really terrific. You can park your car near your room and have easy access. The restaurants are great and the views spectacular.

Room Tip: If you can afford the ocean front rooms then take it. Ask for a room in between the Grotto and Merma...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rye Brook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just having returned from the Buccaneer Beach Hotel in Saint Croix, I had to let you know how wonderful our stay was at our beautiful ocean front villa. The room was spacious and well appointed with a wonderful Jacuzzi and very nice amenities. There 's lots to do at the hotel for everyone with water sports, sun, spa, tennis and on site 18 hole golf course. The breakfast assortment along with the friendly staff was amazing. I was quite taken with all of Saint Croix and all it has to offer, especially the amount of outstanding restaurants. Most of all, I would return again to the Buccaneer. This is a very well run hotel with a great efficient, friendly staff.

Room Tip: the deluxe pool view room with the wood vaulted ceiling is very nice. Also you could ask for the &q...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Willoughby, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We recently stayed at the Buccaneer and it was the most perfect resort we have ever visited. The staff was so warm and friendly and the service was impeccable. This resort is BY FAR the nicest resort on the island. It is beautiful with a perfect location. The room was beautiful with a fabulous view of the sea off our patio. We had a car so we were able to around the island to various beaches to snorkel. The hotel staff booked an island sightseeing trip for us and it was so much fun, And we met so many nice visitors at the Managers happy hour. I can not recommend this resort more highly. It is a little place of paradise on a beautiful island. We will return again to be sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Delux Ocean View room....perfect location on a hill, close to the main plantation h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

When i first got to this hotel i thought i wasted my money (to be honest). The grass was dry and brown, the buildings needed painting ect....But I went there for the beach and nothing else, i first went to the mermaid beach but it was crowded (cruise ship was in) so i went to the grotto beach which was more quiet, i sat at the pool an thought i'd go for a swim in it, i stuck my big toe in (i live in NY) i will be honest with you the water in that pool was almost the same as the water back home at the time...(freezing cold) i changed my mind from the pool) i went for a walk on the beach instead, the water was filled with rocks/reef a lady named Leila (she was nice) told me where to enter the water ( a narrow area which was the only entrance to the entire beach because of the rocks/reef) i didn't go in an i decided to go back to my room (leila called me a bell-man who took me straight to my room) i stayed in my room all night wondering if i should stay at the hotel or leave. With a whole lot of prayer asking god for help the next day i decided to give it another chance (oh was i glad i did) the next day after breakfast i was going to the mermaid beach and on the way this young man passed me an he said with a smile "Good morning mam, will you be joining me at the mermaid beach today" i looked up to the sky wondering if god sent him to help me an he looked up wondering what i was looking at an said "i don't think its going to rain today" an i started laughing, an off we went. I enjoyed every second of my time at the buccaneer from that moment... We talked an talked an talked, he got me a seat close to where he was sitting an we talked some more. He said he just moved to the island so he didn't know much about where things were but when i needed to know anything he would pull out his i-phone an ask it where stuff were an the i-phone would come up with the answer... I wanted to go for a swim but i realized the other guest found it difficult to get in an out of the water but it wasn't difficult for me at all because Cj was right there holding my hand entering and exiting the water. The next day he taught me how to snorkel (I've bin to classes to learn how to snorkel for years an still didn't know how to an in a matter of minutes he had me in the water swimming around). The day after that he sent me kayaking (i've never bin kayaking before, he taught me that too). On other days we played basketball and soccer or as he would say football (we argued most days about the name). Cj is extremely nice an knows how to take care of an old lady, i only went to the beach when he was working an which beach he was scheduled to work,,.,, he did everything for me an when i asked him why he was so nice, i would never ever forget what he said to me... "ON VACATION YOUR JOB IS SIMPLY TO RELAX...AND ITS MY JOB TO HELP" :) :) :) :) :) .... I've bin to many hotels in the caribbean before an i could honestly say its bin the most attention i ever got from an employee (oh how i wish i was young again :) ) as long as he's there next year I'm sure to be back an bringing my whole family next time

• Stayed February 2013
Whitefield, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just came back from a delightful ten day stay at the expansive, and relatively expensive, Buccaneer on St. Croix. I've been to some pretty nice places in the Caribbean over the years; also some I would not want to return to under any circumstances. My favorite over the years has been the Harbour Village on Bonaire, a resort I've been to twice and would return to without hesitation. I can now add the Buccaneer to that very short list of the "best of the best."

The Buccaneer sits on 340 acres of impeccably manicured grounds; featuring three inviting beaches, an 18 hole golf course, tennis courts, and three on-site restaurants. A variety of ocean view and ocean front rooms supplement the rooms provided in the main house ... which overlooks the entire property, as well as the ocean and the town of Christiansted.

There are two oddities on this island. Although most of the cars are from the US and feature our standard left hand drive, all traffic flows on the left side of the roads rather than the right. This is a bit awkward, but isn't difficult to master, especially since the alternative is a head-on collision. The other oddity is the complete lack of courtesy vans. This is because of the local taxi association which has prevailed in a court case limiting all transportation to licensed taxi drivers. So, while the resorts will make arrangements for airport transfers and shuttle service, all fees must be paid by the user of the service.

Checking in, we were greeted with a complimentary drink and quickly shown to our rooms. Our ocean view rooms were large, impeccably maintained, had patios, and featured a view of the ocean. All rooms had central air conditioning, but the vents were right by the front picture window, facing up, and struggled to keep the rooms cool. They were adequate, but barely. Still, with the overhead fan, we were able to keep the room at a comfortable sleeping temperature. Our bathroom had two sinks, a tub with shower, and plenty of storage. All rooms are advertised as having a safe, but ours didn't. I called the front desk, and within 24 hours a safe had been installed in our room.

The main restaurant is the Terrace, located in the main building. From the ocean front and ocean view rooms, it's a steep hike. The road leading up there was quickly named "Cardiac Hill" and provided a good amount of exercise on a daily basis. The front desk will quickly send out a resort shuttle to transport you if you aren't up to the workout. Food was also available at the Grotto, by the pool, and the Mermaid. Food was consistently good here, with the Terrace serving exceptional meals for dinner, as well as the included breakfast buffet. My only complaint here is that service, at times, could be quite slow. Our group of eight friends had booked the Valentine's Day dinner at the Terrace, an $80 per person affair. The menu was mouth watering and the food was so good, but it took three hours from start to finish, with some pretty long lapses between courses. Of course it wasn't like we had any pressing engagements but, still, we were all somewhat surprised that the service was so far from matching the excellence of the food itself.

The staff here is friendly and very accommodating. Most knew us by either name or room number within a day or so. The gentleman normally at the front desk was the exception in that I never saw him crack a smile, but he was so efficient and professional that I really didn't care. Smile or not, this guy knows what he's doing and does it well.

We were fortunate enough to use the tennis courts here. Eight courts, some lit, and all in excellent condition. The tennis shop was well stocked and the teaching pro, Don, was friendly and helpful. Most of the tennis we've played in the Caribbean has been on cracked, poorly maintained courts, so it was refreshing to see a real tennis center. These courts were busy all the time, and had anyone from little kids to senior citizens hitting those balls ... a nice mix of locals and guests alike.

I'm a diver, and my dive buddy and I rented a car so we could get to the dive shop. The Buccaneer does not have an on-site dive operator. We chose Cane Bay Dive Center and typically drove out to Fredericksted every morning to meet their dive boat. Diving was okay ... pretty much average Caribbean diving. The exception to this was the Fredericksted Pier. That shallow dive was one of the most amazing dives I've ever been on. The pier is just crawling with fish life and we saw seahorses, Moray Eels, a countless variety of reef fish, and some gigantic "bait balls" undulating around the pillars. It was a really memorable dive and one I would highly recommend to any diver visiting St. Croix. If you do get out to Fredericksted, I suggest stopping by Turtle Deli right off the main drag. Their triple decker Reuben is worth the trip. It's as good as anything you'd find in the best NYC deli, and is big enough to sate the appetites of two starving husbands.

The weather was totally consistent during our ten days here. Temperature was 82-84 F every day and mostly sunny. Every night we had a torrential rain, but I never saw a drop during the day.

The bug report. i'm not a big fan of mosquitoes, no-see-ums, sand fleas, or anything that likes to bite me and suck my blood. I could never be friends with a vampire, and am not a fan of the Twilight series ... although I did like Barnabas in Dark Shadows. Anyway, i do tend to be a bug magnet and get devoured while others go unmolested. This time around, I did bring along 100% DEET as my main line of defense. In ten days, I managed to get only a few small bites, and those went away quickly. When I did get bit, I had only a very mild reaction ... unlike some places where every bite seemed to fester for an agonizingly long time. So I am willing to declare the Buccaneer locale as a minimal bug threat, although perhaps not an entirely itch-free zone.

In summary, in spite of a few minor shortcomings, this place is so well managed and so on top of everything that it's hard not to regret leaving. Slow food service and marginal air conditioning would be my only complaints, and even those areas had almost no impact on our appreciation of just how good the Buccaneer is.

The Buccaneer is one of those Caribbean gems that just knows how to do it right.

Room Tip: The ocean view and ocean front rooms are great. The only reason I didn't rate the service as 5...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband, teenage daughter and I spent a week here. WONDERFUL is the only word to describe it. The grounds are beautiful and varied. The food is wonderful in the open-air restaurant. Our room, with two baths and a living room with pull-out sofa with a separate bedroom separated by a door, was perfect for our group. The balcony was big enough for a cocktail party. Really a beautiful, wonderful place.

Room Tip: Our room was in the grand house. There are MANY types of accommodations available (small bungalows...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!