“The Buccaneer was beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Announcement
2015 Rate Sale!
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Hilton Head Island, SC
“The Buccaneer was beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

My husband and I were planning a trip to enjoy a long-overdue vacation, and to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. After researching hotels on St. Croix, I chose The Buccaneer from the many great reviews here on Trip Advisor, and wasn't disappointed!

Be prepared on your ride from the airport to see a pretty run-down and somewhat delapidated city with crumbling buildings, peeling paint and seedy-looking bars. We were a bit concerned by this at first, but once we spent some time in the city, it became part of the charm and experience.

Check-in took a little time, but I knew they were having a busy check-in day from speaking with the hotel the day before. They gave us a complimentary rum punch and we spent the time looking around the beautiful terrace and courtyard.

One thing I would recommend to people traveling to this hotel is to CALL A DAY OR TWO AHEAD to confirm your reservations if you have a special request for a bed (we could not confirm that we would get a king bed when we made the reservation).

The reservations staff was VERY friendly and helpful when I called, and they made the extra effort to note that we really wanted a king bed. When we checked in it clearly stated that we were celebrating our anniversary and it was VERY important to us to have a king bed - VERY nice!

We stayed in room 304 - one of the Deluxe Oceanfront rooms with a king bed. It must have been a newer room because it had remote controlled shades for the picture window, whereas many of the other oceanfront rooms had regular curtains.

The room wasn't overly large, but it was comfortable and nicely laid out, and the curved, dark wood ceiling added an exotic touch. There was a small fridge and safe in the room which was handy.

The bathroom was a good size with a 2-sink vanity, blow dryer, toiletries and an ironing board/iron. There was a regular tub/shower, and a toilet that was a bit finicky at times. There was a ceiling fan in the bathroom, and an exhaust fan that would bring cooler air from the main room into the bathroom when turned on, but no air conditioning in the bathroom itself, so it was warmer there than the regular room.

There were louvers in the bathroom, and next to the front door and the door to the back patio that we would close during the day along with the blinds, and open at night to keep things comfortable. Air conditioning was adequate.

The maid service was perfect - every day they would bring a bucket of ice and a pitcher of drinking water, since the tap water has a metallic taste. There were fresh towels and beach towels daily. There was turndown service each night where they would turn down the bed, leave chocolates and put a small mat on the floor next to the bed.

The grounds are breathtaking and the views are incredible. Be prepared to do some walking up and down the hill if you have a room near the beach (gets you a little exercise to work off the delicious food). They DO have hotel shuttles that will pick you up and drop you off - just be sure to call at least 15 min ahead of time.

There is also a hotel shuttle that goes to and from Christansted several times a day for $6.00 per person round trip. I believe a taxi was $9.00 per person one way. After 11:00, there's a $50 surcharge for a taxi, and I believe a pickup after that time needs to be arranged in advance.

The boardwalk in Christiansted is a must-see - I recommend Angry Nate's for delicious calamari and potent rum punch!

If you're looking for traditional "St. Croix hook" bracelets and jewelry, the ONLY place to go is Sonya's. We had noticed several hotel employees who had beautiful silver cuff bracelets and asked about them. We were told that Sonya's originally came up with the design 45 years ago, and the hand-made bracelets are still made there today, although you can find cheaper knock-offs in any jewelry store. The bracelets came in different sizes and designs, with silver or gold, and were very reasonably priced. Gail helped us out multiple times, as we ended up going back 3 times to buy more items as gifts.

Buck Island is also a must-see - it's by far the most beautiful beach I've been to - the water is amazing and the sand is like whipped cream. The snorkeling during the Buck Island trip was definitely worthwhile - there were lots of beautiful fish and underwater rocks and coral everywhere. We took the half-day trip, which was perfect for us.

We asked Emmy from the Concierge desk at the hotel to recommend a restaurant for dinner the night of our anniversary, since The Terrace at the hotel can be a bit noisy.

She recommended Savant, which we also heard was great from a couple other people and arranged reservations in the courtyard of the restaurant, and a taxi for us.

To get to the restaurant courtyard, you turn down a dingy-looking alley, and when the taxi driver dropped us off and pointed us to the entrance, I didn't know what to expect. But when we walked into this open-air place, it was like a whole different world with weathered artistic benches and walls, complete with alcoves filled with lit candles and strings of twinkling lights.

The staff was wonderful, and the stuffed filet mignon was honestly THE BEST meal I've eaten in my life. Incredible!

As far as the hotel meals, the buffet breakfast on The Terrace every morning was delicious, and after a couple days we started asking for Stephanie to be our waitress as she took such good care of us.

When we had dinner at The Terrace one night, Ruby took care of us and we had a fantastic prime rib dinner. There's a couple different kinds of music/entertainment every night there - jazz, steel drum band, etc. and a bar to hang out at if you don't want to leave the hotel.

We also ordered room service a couple times, and the food was surprisingly good. The first time we ordered it took about an hour and a half to get our meal after we called to check on it, but the food was hot and tasty. The next day the hotel called us - they had seen we called the night before to check on our meal, and asked what we would like as compensation for the delay. We told them nothing - we had just called to make sure we could get our meal before the kitchen closed - but when our final bill came, they had given us a $50 credit toward the meal.

We ate dinner at The Mermaid restaurant our first night at the hotel. We walked in and were waiting to be seated when another group came in after us and got seated right away at a beach-front table. After a little while we got seated at a table near the back. My husband and I attributed it to the fact that we both have a fairly large collection of tattoos, which sometimes puts people off until they realize we're just regular folks who are polite and good tippers!

We spent a lot of our time at The Grotto pool and beach area, where the food and drinks are delicious and the view is beautiful. We got to meet Felicia, the grotto cat there!

It got a bit loud at times when there were children's activities going on (there were quite a few young children at the hotel so be prepared to hear them pretty much anywhere you go).

There's a General Store on premises that has sodas, snacks and all sorts of goodies you might need, including rum and wine, although, as expected, the prices are a bit high.

There's also a boutique on site but I found it a bit snooty and the prices were very high.

We booked massages at the spa on site which were WONDERFUL - something I'd definitely do again.

The hotel had many activities, such as a welcome reception in the old sugar mill every Tuesday, and there was a wine-tasting one day, so there's always something to do, or you can do NOTHING if that's what you prefer!

All in all we really enjoyed the hotel and were impressed by the staff once we got past the initial stigma that goes along with being folks with tattoos! When we'd ask some of the taxi drivers which hotel was the best on the island, they always said "The Buccaneer", and I thoroughly believe them after our stay!

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and views, attentive staff
  • Disliked — Some staff a bit condescending at times
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

St. Croix is okay. I've been here twice and it's not my favorite island. It is boring and really nothing to do. The beach in Turks is much much better.

This hotel is great. They have good food but not amazing meals. This hotel is good for families because they have lots of activities - tennis, beach, and the spa.

If I go back to St. Croix, I would stay here but I have no desire to go back to this island.

• Liked — The business center.
  • Disliked — It has a generic American feel.
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

So I was in St Croix on business visiting some Hedgefunds.
Have stayed at the Buccaneer twice now. First time I stayed up in the rooms up top...(There are two levels, up top and then beach front) Second I was beachfront.

Both rooms were very clean...beachfront was great!
Snorkeling is wonderful-lots of fan coral, saw a ton of Parrotfish, and a few black tip reef sharks. Again I was here on business...It was quick in the water and out.

The restaurant and view from it are SPECTACULAR. Food is pretty good as well. Overall St Croix is very quiet. Good for down time. I did not golf here. We did go downtown to eat in Christiansted...nothing worth talking about.

Great hotel, would not take vacation to St Croix though.....not enough restaurants...little too quiet for my tastes.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Granville, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We just returned from a week at the Buccaneer, our trip was during the spring break time period, we traveled with two teenage boys. The Buccaneer was very pleasant from the moment we arrived until we left the property.

The resort did not feel crowded even during this normally busy time of year. It has a very open feel and is certainly underdeveloped for a property of this size. I found it reminiscent of the grand old resorts of the 50's and 60's, when I was a child.

The beaches were nice, everyone used the Mermaid beach because it is the most swimming friendly, Grotto Beach is rockier although much larger, great for walking, but Mermaid Beach was were everyone congregated. Mermaid is clean and nice with floats, toys and chairs available and plentiful. The beach over the hill is quite a walk and my wife found it very relaxing in her walks, but is always empty and rocky. Our teenagers had a blast on the kayaks at Mermaid.

Pools were not what I would have expected in a resort of this caliber. The grotto pool is the larger but it is Motel 8 in size. My wife likes to swim laps and this was less than we anticipated. The other pool is behind the spa and is tiny.

We stayed in a family cottage which was decent, not anything to write home about. The main bedroom was approximately 12 by 20 with modular cabinetry closeting and drawers, a small TV, a wicker chair, nicely padded window seat which could be used as a bed by a small child, a tiny refrigerator and a coffee maker . The smaller room was roughly 12 by 14 with two twin beds, a modular cabinetry closet and a small TV. The bathroom was a small 6 by 6 bath with tub/shower combo, sink and toilet, just outside the bath was a small sink and counter, none of this was what I would term "luxury". The one bath made travelling with two teenage boys less than ideal, I think this configuration would be more suited for small children. Our room was well maintained and clean, included was a nice selection of toiletries which we didn't use, but were of an upscale brand. Housekeeping was very accomodating whenever we asked for anything. They bring filtered water and ice to the room, which we often ran out of, we found ourselves buying lots of water. They told us the water was safe to drink, but advised against it, so we didn't take a chance.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful, the setting is spectacular, however the landscaping is tired and in need of updating. We still found the views to be very pleasant and the overall experience very relaxing.

Dining was very good at both the Mermaid and the Terrace, the service was good, food quality, presentation and preparation was good. It was however, quite expensive for what they served. Breakfast was included in our room rate and the buffett was good, if a bit boring. Lunch is served at the Mermaid which is quite nice, try the lobster quesadilia, the burger is huge. There is a small place called the Grotto by the Grotto pool which serves hot dogs and lite fare but we didn't eat there. Dinner at the Terrace was good, not spectacular, definately overpriced. You can get a much better meal at Kendrick's in C'sted for slightly less money. Cheeseburger in Paradise is just up the road if your looking for ultra casual, Rumrunner's on the Boardwalk in C'sted is good for both lunch and Dinner and Angry Nate's on the boardwalk serves a good lunch. It looks like the Buccaneer takes advantage of the out of town location to charge more than they should for what they deliver. For a family of 4 expect to spend $75 to $100 for lunch and $200+ for dinner with very limited alcohol. Drinks are $10 each. Entertainment at night is Holiday Inn quality. The band at Cheesburgers was better!

Based on the room rates and the $90 extra they add to that for tax and "service charge" on top of the extra $35 per child per night, we have had two rooms on Palm Beach in Aruba and the boys have a better time there with much more for them to do. Not as relaxing, but better food, entertainment and spa. Plus with more flights to other places than to St Croix the overall package is pricey for the quality.

One of the things that reminded me of bygone days is that you will make friends with people at the resort that you are either roomed next to or paired up with at golf and the boys became friends with teens from all over the country which was good. Once the sun goes down the place is dead from a teenager perspective with no game room, pools close at 6 and generally nothing for them to do except hang around together. There was an active teen network which can be dangerous but from what I saw they were all pretty good kids. You should be aware that the drinking age in the USVI is 18.

The spa is seriously lacking in decor, it looks like a 60s beauty shop. The massages were good and my wife had other treatment there and was pleased. When I first walked in I almost turned right around though because of the look of it, they seriously need to spend some money on making this more current. The treatments were priced about the norm for a resort although my wife had a manicure which was the same as she pays at home. The setting however is quite disappointing.

The golf course was one of the highlights of our stay, it is well maintained and the dramatic hills and elevation change made it somewhat challenging. It's not Pebble Beach but it's a good course for the Carribean. The golf shop employees were very accomodating and friendly.

Overall, we had a very good time, you are paying a premium for the lack of crowding and open feel of the resort. The setting is very nice and the views are spectacular. It felt safe inside the confines of the resort so it would be a good choice for small children or someone wanting to play a lot of golf. Swing by a grocery on the way in and buy a case of water. We would go back but probably not with the boys next time, its a little too relaxed for teens.

• Liked — spectacular views
  • Disliked — price, lack of dining options
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Staff and facilities at the hotel are excellent, everyone went out of their way to be helpful - e.g., concierge desk booking a snorkelling trip, tennis instructor giving good lessons, late check out, entertainment in the evenings, upgraded to an ocean front room. Massages and fitness room were not great, but everything else was good quality.

For a standalone resort vacation I would definitely recommend this place. The decor and styling isn't quite up to a brand resort, but the quirks are mostly ok and don't detract from the ambiance.

There isn't a lot to see in St Croix. Buck Island snorkeling is worth doing, but aside from that you only need a long weekend to get enough of the place. Christiansted is not particularly interesting, and there are too few places to get good food or even local well cooked food. I don't think it's worth visiting the island unless you just want a blast of winter sun.

Finally, this place seemed better suited to families (there were a lot of kids) rather than couples.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Rochelle, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

We just got back from a week at the Buccaneer with our 3 kids. All of us loved it. The grounds are beautiful and our room (cottage suite) was very nice. There was lots for the kids to do without the feeling that we were at a playground. The food was quite good and the service overall was good. The staff at the beach was great and everyone was very friendly and helpful. We had a blast and all of us can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

My daughter got married on Mermaid Beach at The Buccaneer! We had 22 guests who stayed up to one week and it was incredible! I can't say enough good things about this resort. Everyone is friendly and can't do enough for you. Our rooms were superb and the property is gorgeous! Fantastic place! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!