“Resort Hotel on Sleepy Island” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Seattle
“Resort Hotel on Sleepy Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Large resort hotel on sleepy island. Beautiful location and views but hotel not quite up to the same standards as comparable resorts in mainland US and Hawaii. I do think it is the best this island has to offer and I would stay here again. The staff and service was very friendly and they went out of their way to make sure our expereince was enjoyable. The breakfast buffet has lots of variety...good but not outstanding. Work out room is small but functional. Air conditioning was good and not too noisy. Beds/linens were comfortable. Internet was free but so slow during peak hours it wasn't worth the effort. Our room and bathroom were spacious and everything worked well from lights, bath/shower, TV...just don't expect high speed internet. Had all the usual ammentities including coffee maker and refrigerator. We stayed in a beach front unit and the view was excellent. We had a hub cap disapperar on our rental car over night in the parking area...so much for hotel security. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: The rooms on the beach have great views, semi private deck, very spacious, and are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It is 9pm right now and the music is so loud underneath my room from the that I feel I cannot stay in my room. My ears are actually ringing from the drums and base being so loud.
I called twice to have them turn the music down and nothing was done.
I paid a lot of money to stay here and I can't even stand being in this room.
Unbelievably bad.
I was looking forward to my visit because of all the good reviews and I am so disappointed that I wasted my hard earned money on what is becoming a nightmare. This will be the worst place I have ever stayed and I have traveled the world.
If I could leave tonight, I would.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this resort!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I spent the Thanksgiving Holiday at the Buccaneer in St Croix. It was a wonderful experience. Of course you will notice the neatly kept ground, but what really stood out to both of us was the great attitude of the staff. Everyone was happy to see you and treated you like one of their family. Both the food and the entertainment was above expectations. While the room was not the Ritz, it was comfortable, the WiFi worked great. The Buc is really about the beach and relaxing, great views and wonderful beach. The golf course looked great and was not crowed. I did not play would want to on our next visit. The Thanksgiving dinner was outstanding and the morning breakfast buffet was more than adequate. The bar tenders were friendly and remembered your name and drink. The views from the main house were breathtaking.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I went to The Buccaneer over the week of Thanksgiving for some R&R. Neither of us had been to St. Croix before and we booked this trip through Bookit.com. We were so happy with the hotel, our upgraded room on the beach (336), breakfast, the beaches, and the staff was AMAZING! The restaurants were great! We ate breakfast every morning, lunch at The Grotto or The Mermaid, and 2 dinners at The Terrace (including Thanksgiving meal). Every morning you received the days activities at the hotel at breakfast. The concierge was very helpful with other activities. Frankly, you never need to leave the property! We went to the manager's reception and they had Jumbie dancers perform. Every time we called a shuttle (about 3 times) it appeared in under 5 minutes. After getting some bites on the beach, the Beach Shack attendant brought me some cortisol cream to use without asking for it. My husband had two massages at the spa and enjoyed them a lot. I really cannot believe the 3 star or less reviews! Everyone asked if we were having a good time, could they help us with anything, breakfast was not a ""farce", etc. We took the island tour and I would tell you not to bother booking any other hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had an amazing week at the Buccaneer in mid November. The weather was perfect, but even more perfect was the level of service and beauty of this resort. The resort is impeccable in cleanliness and happiness. We were talked into the resort after booking at another, this was the best advise from long time friend Captain Craig Cook of Croix Boy Charters and his wife, Wendy.

The ocean view and rainbow that greeted us in the morning is simply amazing, a great balcony breakfast is a grand way to start the day. The Grotto and Mermaid beach are super afternoon relaxing spots. Polly at the Grotto gave us amazing tips on the Island. She also teaches kids classes and loves this job. Bobby makes a good drink and tasty lunch. Tad is fun to talk to and makes great drinks too at the Mermaid bar.

The resort offers golf, tennis, and water activities. I highly recommend booking a Land or Sea Cruise with Croix Boy Charters at 717-507-5883. He also offers rides behind resort on water toys. Flying High Parasail was another highlight on our trip, the resort offers. Craig also took us to the Cruzan Rum Tour and other Island hot spots we would have never found on our own.

The Martel Lounge offers a picture perfect sunset. Deanna Brown, the bartender, is an amazing person and singer, She made our evenings a joy and enjoyed her talent live on Thursday night when the lounge showcased her on the main stage. What a great asset.

We left with huge smiles on our face and a tear in our eyes. We will come again soon as the Cruzan say, what a lovely Island Resort. Thank you! Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View in Main Building for amazing view of whole resort.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great hotel! The staff is tremendous. We had our room upgraded so we stayed right on the beach. We had the ocean ten feet away and a beautiful western view sunset every night. All we had to do was step out on the back porch or look out our window.

We had easy access to all the facilities and a short walk to the beach each day. The beach had all the modern amenities required.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach with ocean view. It is worth the $$$$
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed on the Caribbean island of St Croix for 5 nights in February 2012. We chose to stay at The Buccaneer.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we where delighted to see the lovely view of the Carribean sea and cove, from the open aired bar/restaurant area. It all went downhill.

We had one of the newly refurbished rooms with an ocean view. The room was adequate. We have been all over the world but we have never had so many insect bites than at the Buccaneer. We where covered in repellant but still they ate at us. The hotel should spray the hotel grounds as it was so severe.

The food was very avaerage and not much to write home about. The breakfast sitting can best be described as a farce! The staff didnt seem to know what was going on. The food and service at breakfast was dire.

The service at the restaurant by the beach was better. I think the lady serving us was called Sandy. She was helpful and friendly and gave service with a smile.

It was hard to get a decent location on the beach as people got there early to reserve the sunbeds.

All in all a very average experience. The highlight, was the lovely view of the sea, when we arrived.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!