“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Christiansted
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great hotel! The staff is tremendous. We had our room upgraded so we stayed right on the beach. We had the ocean ten feet away and a beautiful western view sunset every night. All we had to do was step out on the back porch or look out our window.

We had easy access to all the facilities and a short walk to the beach each day. The beach had all the modern amenities required.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach with ocean view. It is worth the $$$$

755 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed on the Caribbean island of St Croix for 5 nights in February 2012. We chose to stay at The Buccaneer.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we where delighted to see the lovely view of the Carribean sea and cove, from the open aired bar/restaurant area. It all went downhill.

We had one of the newly refurbished rooms with an ocean view. The room was adequate. We have been all over the world but we have never had so many insect bites than at the Buccaneer. We where covered in repellant but still they ate at us. The hotel should spray the hotel grounds as it was so severe.

The food was very avaerage and not much to write home about. The breakfast sitting can best be described as a farce! The staff didnt seem to know what was going on. The food and service at breakfast was dire.

The service at the restaurant by the beach was better. I think the lady serving us was called Sandy. She was helpful and friendly and gave service with a smile.

It was hard to get a decent location on the beach as people got there early to reserve the sunbeds.

All in all a very average experience. The highlight, was the lovely view of the sea, when we arrived.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brunswick, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Go to St. Croix, USVI, stay at the Buccaneer. This is the perfect resort on a perfect island. We stayed in the great house and had a beautiful view of the ocean and could hear the waves and smell the sea from our room. The Terrace and the other restaurants are fantastic. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. The Chef is very accommodating as far as food allergies go, and still managed to stay true to the recipe and quality of the food and presentation. The Thanksgiving Buffet was fantastic. Where else can you have traditional Thanksgiving fare and locally caught Mahi in coconut sauce, seared scallops, rum glazed ham, and more? Whistle Beach is one of the best places in the area to snorkel. Colorful fish and coral, clear blue water, and an amazing vista from above the beach on the walk from the hotel. Feeling lazy? Let someone from the hotel shuttle you between the Great House and any of the beaches on the property. The staff makes everyone feel like family, except without the crazy relatives. A special thanks to Larry Love, Pat Joseph, Ashton, Ms. Pearl, and all of the breakfast buffet crew for making us feel at home and making our stay much more enjoyable. We fell in love the Buccaneer and are already plotting our next visit.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room in the complex.
Renton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We enjoyed our stay on St. Croix at the Buccaneer. The island has good snorkeling and sea kayaking. The grounds were beautiful driving in. We were surprised to be upgraded to the Doubloons next to Mermaid Beach. The room has a king bed and a picture window to the beach. There is a big bathroom with a walk-in shower, 2 sinks, a larger soaking tub we used for cleaning our gear. We had complimentary breakfast with French Toast that my wife likes and lots of fresh fruit. We snorkled at all 3 hotel beaches. The west side of the Grotto Beach was best. Lots of brain coral, fan coral, reef fish, 6 big crayfish, 1 turtle. We ate a late lunch at the Mermaid for our dinner. Good selection of salads, sandwiches, and entrees, and beers. I liked the Tropical Chicken Salad.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've been around and let me tell you, this is one of my highest ranking if not the one place to go when you want to just leave the grind. Although I was here for business I had time to enjoy the facility and it was great. You have quality food on property, an outstanding 18 hole golf course with greens that are well maintained. The rooms, at least the one that I was in was perfect for a retreat to enjoy life, I had beach and pool view with a magnificent sunset second to none. The staff is very helpful and it shows in the upkeep of the property. The Buccaneer is a place that I will visit again. Thank you for treating me well!!!

Room Tip: rooms from 301 to 351 are beach and pool view!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, one of the things our family is most thankful for is our holiday times at the Buccaneer Hotel. For the past 30 years we have been returning annually to relax and rejuvenate at this special place that has become our home away from home. The General Manager, Elizabeth Armstrong, and her amazing staff always make us feel right at home and go out of their way to provide truly outstanding service. We always receive a warm welcome from Maria at Returning Guest Services, and Diane and Nadia at the front desk. There is no better bartender anywhere than Westin at the Mermaid Beach Bar, and Bobby is a first rate chef who creates unforgettable lunches. The wait staff at all four restaurants. . . Karim, Susanna, Ruby, Stephanie, Patricia, Devon, and so many more . . . couldn't be more friendly and gracious! We are truly thankful that we are able to return again later this year, and highly recommend the Buccaneer as the perfect place to relax with your family and friends while enjoying the beauty of this tropical paradise,

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our Sincere Thank You

First and foremost, on behalf of the wedding party and 60 guests, Nancy’s and my most sincere thank you to Elizabeth Armstrong and her entire staff for an exceptionally perfect wedding afforded to my daughter Niki and her husband Jon.

Please let me extend our thank you personally to Corinne (our event coordinator), Patrick, Adriane, Delma, Marcia, Shawney, Larry, Tad, Kyle, Bobby, Tall Kayliam?, Dave, Deanna, Leila, Mark, Yan?, Casey, Pearl, Francis, Melrose, Nadia, Diane, Rebecca, golf Tom, and all the staff that my 65 year old memory may have failed to momentarily recall. You all were exceptional, intrinsic to our celebration, and I consider you all friends.

I honestly cannot say enough about the perfect wedding venue the Buccaneer offers and delivers.... (and I can be pretty darn critical when things aren’t right).

Beyond the quality, superb service, and genuine conviviality of the staff, a few comments of review....in no certain order:

Venue: We all found the Buccaneer to offer true Caribbean charm. Founded around 1600, and built in 1947, and necessarily renovated to full modern standards, the Buccaneer has somehow maintained the historic Caribbean ambiance and grand, understated eloquence of its heritage.

Room Accommodations: In short, superb and varied for every taste and need.... from oceanside with patios feet from the ocean, to main house with spectacular ocean or mountain views and decks, to family-oriented units, and spacious more private “Doubloon” accommodations.

Furthermore, the Buccaneer extended the thought, consideration, and foresight to specially locate our elderly grandmother and the wedding party most conveniently and graciously for our family's most special event. Everyone of our party’s 60 guests was pleased with their immaculate, clean, modern convenienced, and what I term “casually beach eloquent” accommodations.

Facilities: The Buccaneer offers terrific facilities with a multitude of varied activities and venues. From the beachside Grotto pool to the alternative palm-lined and immaculate white-sanded Mermaid beach with open-air food and beverage, beach facilities offered varied and interesting locales. Numerous offerings for activities from tetherball, bean bag games, beach volleyball, tennis, kayaks, floats of all kinds, snorkel etc etc offering a relaxing and casual entertainment at your pleasure.

The golf course was in very good condition and offered beautiful, dramatic, interesting, and challenging holes set in the rolling hills adjoining the ocean. I could have played it every day without losing interest.

Food & Beverage: The Buccaneer gets 5 stars here also... from their full dinner menu with varied specials, to their “light fare” menu, the cuisine was excellent. I have to compliment the chef not just for his daily offerings, but especially for his wedding dinner unsurpassed by Denver's finest steak houses. The tenderloin was exquisite and prepared perfectly.

The daily breakfast buffet was also terrific... with extensive and multiple offerings.... and as a personal recommendation... don’t miss the orange muffins.

Beverages were ample and honest. It was my opinion that food and beverage were very fairly priced... which is not always the case when you are located within a resort community.

I would also comment on the excellent transportation extended by the Buccaneer both within their resort and to the local city of Christiansted. The services are virtually immediate within the resort, and very efficient and professional with regard to transportation outside the resort.

Almost as an aside, I would comment that in working with any organization that I don’t know, located 3000+ miles away, coupled with my skepticism in today’s world, I initially found the Buccaneer's contracts somewhat informal and imprecise for my legal liking. Boy, was my caution/concern misplaced. This is a family owned “old time honest” hotelier with the pride of the “old school”.... that exceeded all our expectations.

Obviously, I can personally recommend the Buccaneer without reservation or qualification.

Thank you again Elizabeth and all....

Peter and Nancy

Room Tip: The resort offers a variety of accomadations to suit most everyone. I'd call them and discuss. T...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!