“Unsurpassable Wedding Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

Save Saved
You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE Buccaneer Treasures!
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
Denver, Colorado
“Unsurpassable Wedding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our Sincere Thank You

First and foremost, on behalf of the wedding party and 60 guests, Nancy’s and my most sincere thank you to Elizabeth Armstrong and her entire staff for an exceptionally perfect wedding afforded to my daughter Niki and her husband Jon.

Please let me extend our thank you personally to Corinne (our event coordinator), Patrick, Adriane, Delma, Marcia, Shawney, Larry, Tad, Kyle, Bobby, Tall Kayliam?, Dave, Deanna, Leila, Mark, Yan?, Casey, Pearl, Francis, Melrose, Nadia, Diane, Rebecca, golf Tom, and all the staff that my 65 year old memory may have failed to momentarily recall. You all were exceptional, intrinsic to our celebration, and I consider you all friends.

I honestly cannot say enough about the perfect wedding venue the Buccaneer offers and delivers.... (and I can be pretty darn critical when things aren’t right).

Beyond the quality, superb service, and genuine conviviality of the staff, a few comments of review....in no certain order:

Venue: We all found the Buccaneer to offer true Caribbean charm. Founded around 1600, and built in 1947, and necessarily renovated to full modern standards, the Buccaneer has somehow maintained the historic Caribbean ambiance and grand, understated eloquence of its heritage.

Room Accommodations: In short, superb and varied for every taste and need.... from oceanside with patios feet from the ocean, to main house with spectacular ocean or mountain views and decks, to family-oriented units, and spacious more private “Doubloon” accommodations.

Furthermore, the Buccaneer extended the thought, consideration, and foresight to specially locate our elderly grandmother and the wedding party most conveniently and graciously for our family's most special event. Everyone of our party’s 60 guests was pleased with their immaculate, clean, modern convenienced, and what I term “casually beach eloquent” accommodations.

Facilities: The Buccaneer offers terrific facilities with a multitude of varied activities and venues. From the beachside Grotto pool to the alternative palm-lined and immaculate white-sanded Mermaid beach with open-air food and beverage, beach facilities offered varied and interesting locales. Numerous offerings for activities from tetherball, bean bag games, beach volleyball, tennis, kayaks, floats of all kinds, snorkel etc etc offering a relaxing and casual entertainment at your pleasure.

The golf course was in very good condition and offered beautiful, dramatic, interesting, and challenging holes set in the rolling hills adjoining the ocean. I could have played it every day without losing interest.

Food & Beverage: The Buccaneer gets 5 stars here also... from their full dinner menu with varied specials, to their “light fare” menu, the cuisine was excellent. I have to compliment the chef not just for his daily offerings, but especially for his wedding dinner unsurpassed by Denver's finest steak houses. The tenderloin was exquisite and prepared perfectly.

The daily breakfast buffet was also terrific... with extensive and multiple offerings.... and as a personal recommendation... don’t miss the orange muffins.

Beverages were ample and honest. It was my opinion that food and beverage were very fairly priced... which is not always the case when you are located within a resort community.

I would also comment on the excellent transportation extended by the Buccaneer both within their resort and to the local city of Christiansted. The services are virtually immediate within the resort, and very efficient and professional with regard to transportation outside the resort.

Almost as an aside, I would comment that in working with any organization that I don’t know, located 3000+ miles away, coupled with my skepticism in today’s world, I initially found the Buccaneer's contracts somewhat informal and imprecise for my legal liking. Boy, was my caution/concern misplaced. This is a family owned “old time honest” hotelier with the pride of the “old school”.... that exceeded all our expectations.

Obviously, I can personally recommend the Buccaneer without reservation or qualification.

Thank you again Elizabeth and all....

Peter and Nancy

Room Tip: The resort offers a variety of accomadations to suit most everyone. I'd call them and discuss. T...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I'm staying here at this hotel and it is very nice! 18 holes Golf course is challenging with uphills and downhills! Restaurant food is excellent. Food prices are not bad considering this is a Golf Resort. Downtown Christianstead is less than 10 minutes if you want to eat at downtown Boardwalk. There are a lot of nice places around!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Perfect was the word I used to describe my entire experience at The Buccaneer and in St. Croix. But even still, that word does not completely express how magical it was. My (now) husband and I had the privilege of having our wedding, with our family and friends by our side, on Mermaid Beach at The Buccaneer Hotel in St. Croix. Carolyn and her entire staff were AMAZING!!! They handled every single little detail and we didn't have to worry about a thing. I wish I had the time and the space to give a detailed account! We honeymooned there too and it was just simply incredible. The resort and the island are amazing!! I can't think of a single negative thing to say. Our children, ages 12, 14, 23, & 25 - all had a great time! There was something to do for everyone of all ages - right there on the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
St. Thomas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Wouldn't honor the stash rewards that they promote so prominently on their website. Management could care less about the consumer. Very disappointing. Expected better customer service for the price. Unwilling to go out of their way to make the stay more pleasant or enjoyable for the traveler.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ElizabethArmstrong, General Manager at The Buccaneer -- St Croix, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Hi Venus D,

We are sorry that your experience with booking a reservation was not to your satisfaction.

Since you have not yet stayed at the hotel, we feel you have not had the opportunity to experience our world class service our past guests rave about.

The Buccaneer is a proud member of Stash Rewards and honors our relationship with them by distributing points for eligible room rates. Since you were planning to visit us in the near future for one of St. Croix’s wonderful sporting events, we were delighted to offer you a heavily discounted rate dedicated to the event. In turn, the rate would not be eligible for stash points, as previously advised by our team.

Warm Regards,
The Buccaneer
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Buccaneer made our wedding/honeymoon amazing. We were not sure how everything would turn out since we were only in contact with Carolyn, our wedding coordinator, by fax, but rest assured, she did an amazing job. Surprises at every turn. We were upgraded to the Doubloon rooms right on Mermaid beach, and our view was breathtaking. The women in the salon we fantastic and really took great care of me on my wedding day.

The food at the breakfast buffet every morning was extremely good and the service was 1st class. Every employee at the hotel went out of their way to make sure we were happy and didn't want for anything.

Cannot wait to return for our 1st aniversary.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Again we had a wonderful stay at The Buccaneer Hotel and found little need to leave the resort spacious grounds. This visit we had the pleasure of watching a 5 mile ocean swim race with some world class swimmers from around the country ending on the hotel beach....exciting!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed in one of the Family Cottages which was nice for having separate bedrooms. The second bedroom had an under the sea mural which my girls loved. The location is good if you have little ones as the hike up the hill to the breakfast buffet can be a bit challenging in the heat. Basically, you are halfway to the Grotto Beach and halfway to the main dining room. The resort does provide a shuttle around the resort which we didn't use, but you can get around the walking if you want to. Didn't use our front patio. You get a partial view overlooking the ocean to the left, and a frontal view of the road and Ocean Front rooms. Liked the ambience of the Ocean Front patios. One thing that was surprising was that the resort grounds were brown. We went in August, and it is not green as in the website photos. Was expecting a more lush environment. The kids club was a highlight! The ladies are all lifeguards and do take the kids out kayaking, snorkeling, and swimming in the ocean. This was great as we didn't feel that we had to rush back in order for the girls to get some time in the ocean. They usually go swimming at the upper pool in the am followed by the ocean in the afternoon. The kids club room is cutely decorated, and the ladies have loads of wonderful crafts for the kids to do when they are not going on a treasure hunt, etc. There were some days that our two girls were the only ones in the club, and they still LOVED it! The service overall at the hotel was exceptional. I can't say that I have ever been at a hotel where I genuinely felt like the employees were happy working there. Everyone was extremely friendly and happy...that was the biggest take-away from this resort. We left wanting to come back for the people. Don't miss the manager's cocktail reception. They had stilt walkers which were so much fun to watch in action.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!