“A Very Relaxing Atmosphere in PARADISE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Buccaneer -- St Croix

You added The Buccaneer -- St Croix to your Saves list
The Buccaneer -- St Croix
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   5007 Estate Shoys, Gallows Bay | PO Box 25200, Christiansted 00824, St. Croix   |
Announcement
2015 Rate Sale!
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Christiansted
London
“A Very Relaxing Atmosphere in PARADISE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at The Buccaneer Hotel in St. Croix a couple of years ago and forgot to leave a review. I was in The Virgin Islands again this year and went there for lunch and also to use the private beach. To my amazement, a couple of the staff remembered me and gave me a towel and treated me as if I was a guest again. The food was as amazing as begore, the beach was very clean and the service was absolutely wonderful I felt that I cheated them by not leaving a review last time. I intend to return to St. Croix and will only stay at The Buccaneer. It's just what any holidaymaker needs!!!!! I give them 10 out of 10!!!!!

Room Tip: I chose a room right on the beach. I was able to gaze at the stars whilst listening to the waves an...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at The Buccaneer in mid August 2012 for five days. The rates were lower than the all inclusive Divi Resort. (The all inclusive Divi Resort has terrible food which I found out later after visiting it while on the island. Divi Resort looks like a motel and is at the far end of the island in a remote area away form everything.) The Buccaneer had excellent lunch and dinner. Breakfast was free and buffet style with some items daily that you can order besides the buffet. The restaurants overlook the ocean and the resort is beautiful. The room had marble floors and marble bath and a large terrace also overlooking the ocean. At night they have turn down service and asked if I needed extra ice or a mat for my feet next to the bed. The front desk will change large bills if you cannot get change and the resort has a gift shop and boutique. I did not use the spa or golf course. The only other hotel on the island that seemed as nice was the Carambola resort which is also beautiful. Overall the trip was great. Also if you snorkel a huge catamaran will pick you up at the hotel dock. You can go for a whole day for around $100 or half day for about $65 to $70 to Buck Island which is only a few minutes from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are a short walk from the beach or you can take the hotel shuttle down. R...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Going to a resort for the first time always makes you hope and wonder if it will be what you want. Well--the Buccaneer surpassed our entire family's expectations! My husband and I, our 21 and 16 yr old children were so excited for a special family vacation. From the moment we arrived the staff had us to our deluxe beachfront room in moments--these rooms are not only gorgeous, clean and comfortable but the view from the private stone patio is jaw dropping. Minutes later while at the Grotto Grill the bartender was showing us the iguana and mongoose and we were having our first delicious Grotto rum punch. Go Bobby! The beaches and the pools--beautiful and wonderfully maintained. The staff at the Beach Shacks on both Grotto and Mermaid Beach went above and beyond with their service. Go Leila! The snorkeling equipment was washed right after use, the kayaks clean and in great shape, and of course, lots of noodles to float in the clear blue-green water! The food at all the restaurants--we tried them all--was consistently excellent time after time. Service--spot on! Go Shane! And the breakfast every morning was so plentiful with a dozen choices that you just could not wait to go! Again, I emphasize the friendly and professional staff. The service at every step, from the restaurants, front desk, concierge and more was just impeccable. As you can tell, I got to know the names of the staff because they are so friendly. I can't rave enough about this place. We will be back time and time again. We finally found that special place. By far the most clean, most attentive and most well maintained resort I have been to. Go!

Room Tip: By far the deluxe beachfront rooms are the way to go. They are right on the water, the patios privat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicopee, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Bucaneer is the finest resort we have ever stayed at, the staff was the finest we have ever encountered, the food was incredible and the beach was amazing...get out to Buck island for some amazing snorkling,you want to relax? this is the place, want a fun round of golf? this is the place...we can't wait to go back again...30th anniversary is coming up...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ruston, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Really awesome trip... our 30th anniversary... we have traveled to many caribbean islands and 12 or so cruises but have never been here.... stayed in doubloon 352... beautiful room with the convenience of the Mermaid next door,,, had "Big B
eards" pick us up for snorkeling at Buck Island on the pier outside our room.. Loved watching the sunset every evening with bartender Larry Love at the Terrace..... the cocktail party in the sugar mill while watching the mocko jumbies was awesome... felt so at ease at this beautiful place,,, totally understand why so many people love it.... we are planning our return trip very soon with our daughter who has seen the pics and dying to go with us!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our family of 4, including 2 teens aged 14 & 17, just returned from a 1 week stay at the Buccaneer and we had a great time. Prior to our visit, I was a little concerned about some of the negative reviews, but our experience was very positive.

Perhaps some of the negativity comes from people paying top $$ to stay at the Buccaneer. We were able to take advantage of a summer special and so instead of paying $600+ for a room (like some have reported), our rate was significantly lower. I suppose if we had paid over $4200 for a week-long vacation, I may have a different perspective as well.

Here's our list of pros and cons about this resort:

Pros:
1) Very satisfying breakfast buffet - Clean, constantly refreshed, and loaded with options - fruit, hot & cold cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, bacon, sausage, potatoes, hash browns, scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast and one "speciality" item of the day. Could also order any type of omelet, eggs cooked any way, and the specialty pancake of the day (usually blueberry, chocolate chip or banana).

2) Our rooms - we had booked a Family Cottage but upon check-in, learned that we had been upgraded to 2 connecting Deluxe Beachfront rooms - WOW! These rooms were beautiful! King-sized bed in our room, 2 queens in the connecting room for the kids. Rooms were large, had nice flat screen TVs with DVD players, bathrooms were quite large, and room opened onto small private outdoor stone terrace. Felt extremely lucky and spoiled!

3) Personnel - very friendly, helpful and engaging. Warm welcomes every day - from the breakfast manager,to the front desk staff, waterfront staff, and guard at the gate. Felt genuinely welcomed here.

4) A few extra touches - bug spray in the room along w/ mention that they have no-seeums on the island, refreshed ice 2x/day, evening turndown service, putting mats next to each bed because we had an abundance of sand.

5) On site snorkeling, kayaking and great beaches. I know there are better snorkeling spots on St Croix,but this really couldn't have been any easier and we saw plenty - including an octopus, large schools of fish, and lionfish. Should also note that the moment you finish using their equipment - whether a mask, fins, or lifevest, it is washed! Love the abundance of palm trees & shade at the Grotto & Mermaid beaches.

6) Tennis Courts - they are in great shape and Don, the tennis pro, was very helpful in finding others for my son to play with. He invited him to join an adult tennis class and then made a phone call to a local boy on the island that also played. Very helpful.

7) Location. Some have complained that this resort is remote, but we felt like it was just right. A 3-4 min drive to gas station/convenience store, 5 mins to some restaurants (Pickled Greek and Cheeseburgers in Paradise), and about 7 mins from downtown Christiansted. We visited a few other resorts (Renaissance Carambola and Divi) and those felt a lot more remote than the Buccaneer.

Cons: The list is short
1) Nightlife. There really isn't one. They do have bands that play at the Terrace Restaurant, but it really wasn't something for our teens. We knew this going into this trip and brought DVDs with us. This wasn't an issue for us because we usually weren't back in our room until 8:30 or so and then we played cards, watched the Olympics, or watched a movie, but families that are expecting something going on at night should be aware. I did notice that the Divi Resort definitely had more going on, but I would absolutely not trade a little more activity over there for the experience we had at the Buccaneer.

Overall impression: My family unanimously agreed that this was a great vacation. I read some of the negative reviews to them and we just simply couldn't agree with them. They couldn't believe we were staying in the same place. Perhaps comments that this hotel is like a "motel 6" or "holiday inn" were based upon lodging issues, but our rooms were beautiful, the beaches were wonderful, staff was terrific, and we enjoyed the location. We did speak with 2 other families that didn't appear to love their experience as much. Neither of these families had rented a car and I think that makes an enormous difference. Those families also seemed to be unaware that St Croix is more expensive when it comes to dining and that the island is very different from St Thomas.

Would return in a heartbeat and recommend to any looking for a pretty laid back vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Westfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our family of four visited the Buccaneer during late July. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful but seem to be vastly underutilized. Enough to do during the day with teenage kids like tennis, golf, kayaking, snorkeling, volleyball to keep them occupied but night time becomes a struggle. If you go off grounds to dinner - be prepared for some pricey taxi rides. The buccaneer concierge neglected to let us know that it would have been cheaper to rent a car for the week than get socked with taxi fares every night. Bar staff like Larry at the main bar at night, Kyle at the Mermaid and Bobby at the Grotto beaches make up for a lackluster upper management. The family cottage suite is great but everyone shares one bathroom plus you have to keep the doors open so the air flows - defeating the purpose of two rooms. All in all, the vacation was solid but I kept thinking to myself how much more they could have offered. I know it was the off season but my concern is that if they can't handle a small crowd what happens when it is jammed.

Room Tip: The grounds are so hilly that wherever you choose is going to be a climb regardless.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Buccaneer -- St Croix? Share your experiences!