“Authentic Caribbean Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch
Houston, Texas
“Authentic Caribbean Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This restaurant is amazing and delicious. It is family owned and operated. You must try one of the homemade fruit punches. They are amazing. Whatever you order, they will give you a sampling of all of the side dishes which was a great experience. This is authentic Caribbean home cooking and not for the average tourist looking for pizza and burgers.

Visited November 2013

Colbert, Washington
“When in Rome...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

One of the first things we do when visiting a new city or country is to ask the locals what their favorite places are. Harvey's was mentioned a few times, so today we sought them out. Boy, are we glad we did! This is a little hole-in-the-wall cafe/diner type of place that probably hasn't been updated since 1977 and the "chef" was obviously someone's grandmother, cooking us what I can only imagine is the same sort of fare she makes her family on Sunday. In short, it was perfect! The food was absolutely fantastic - and we are on St. Croix staying at a fairly expensive resort with 3 different restaurants. But, the resort serves merely competent corporate resort food, and we want to eat the real deal. And, "real deal" is what we got! Our waiter, a very nice, helpful older gentleman (possibly one of the owners??), brought us our "menu", which was 8 dishes written in long hand on a small notebook. LOL Cool! There were no prices by the items, but we didn't care. My wife had the "Fry Pot Fish", which was a whole fish, lightly battered and fried to perfection. I can't pronounce that fish, although our waiter said it was one of the fish you would see when you go snorkeling. Awesome! I had the conch, which I had never tried before. There was a ton of firm, succulent pieces of conch surrounded by a delicious sauce that included onions and peppers. Conch, it turns out, has a texture similar to scallops. It rocked! Both plates were piled with extras, such as some fabulous fried plantains, rice, cole slaw, a quarter of an avocado, and some macaroni salad that resembled macaroni and cheese. Whatever it was, it was pretty good! We also tried a tamarind drink that I would buy by the gallon if it was available on the mainland. Our very helpful waiter told us about all of the dishes, explained how to eat them and with what, and helped us not to look like the clueless tourists we are... In case you wondered, our meals were $15 each and the drinks were $3 each, and we were stuffed. Compared to what we have paid for meals at our resort here, it was a screaming deal. In fact, if I could get food like this back home for $15, I would be one happy camper! If you are looking for any "negatives" about this place, it might be that the service was, at times, a little slow. But, our meals and drinks arrived fairly quickly. Our server just wasn't in too big of a hurry to bring us a check or refill our water, which he did do. Then again, this is island time and we were in and out in under an hour. And, we got to chat with some very cool people who made us a fabulous meal and made us feel like one of them. All things considered, we would highly recommend this place! If you want to experience the "real" world, outside of resorts and hotels, you need to seek out places like this. You will not regret it.

• Visited November 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Awesome BBQ chicken dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our lunch was huge! The people were wonderful! Highly recommended! Look for the murals of the local basketball stars and you have found it :-)

Visited September 2013
Tennessee
“Best local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The locals referred me to this place and I'm so glad! So So good! When I got to Christiansted I could only find the tourist traps around the boardwalk. But who want's American food when on vacation? Richie, who served us was very welcoming and steered us to the oxtail, goat curry, fish curry! We probably ate their three days in a row it was so good. Also found out Tim Duncan grew up here. His picture is painted on the front so you can't miss it when trying to look for it.

• Visited August 2013
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“Family Welcoming Local Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a very welcoming and family friendly local restaurant. We were the only ones there for lunch but it was a Saturday in July. We felt very comfortable asking questions and taking risks on unknown food. I ordered pot fish having no idea it would be an entire fish. I am not sure if it was the owner or manager, but he came over after he saw my shock (vegetarian for over 25 years but decided to eat the local fish when in St Croix). He was so nice and made me feel so relaxed that I dove right in and enjoyed every bite while my family sat laughing and in amazement. It is an experience we will not forget. The provisions are wonderful (thanks to our taxi driver who taught us that word - sides as I would call it) - every plate comes with many just like the picture shows including fungi (dish made with cornmeal often served with fish) and are a treat unto themselves. My daughter had the stewed chicken which she loved and my husband had some sort of special for the day. There is no menu but the waitress is very nice and takes her time reading through it. This was by far our favorite local restaurant and the one I would most highly recommend to families.

• Visited July 2013